End of the world in more than one way

A Box for Red Velvets Cupcake-Stories

[Writing Prompt] When s/he dumped you, it felt like your world was ending. On a related note, the world is ending.

I felt the liquid dripping down from the top of my head. For what seemed to be minutes, I was staring straight at the beauty that was sitting opposite of me, hoping to get an explanation from her through my eyes, but the girl was just as stunned about what had just occurred.

"We have urgent news coming in from the Blue House. The president is about to speak." I looked at the screen, wondering what was so important. I saw the breaking news banner slowly looping itself at the bottom of the screen. "We have recently found out that there is a dangerous alien walking around killing people for its own pleasure. We have send out a picture to every police department around the country. I suggest that you try to leave the country to escape. I repeat, this is not an exercise. The alien is armed and dangerous. There could be more of  them, but they will kill you on sight. I repe-"

My face was turned against my will and felt an aggressive sting spread wide across my right cheek. "This is what I meant to you? Even as you're sitting here with this , you won't even pay a single moment of attention to me?" I followed her index aimed towards the girl and all I could think about was how liberating it made me feel she had finally found out. Her voice was booming through the pub.

My girlfriend was about to throw a fit, like she always does. The hatred was apparent, her fist balding and she had put on her y face ready to stab me with her vicious words. I couldn’t take it anymore. I didn’t want to be part of it. I was tired of it and it was time to move on.  Albeit I could have handled it better, but this should only make things easier.

“Look. You caught me. I’m not even going to try and hide it.” The shooting had begun. Just outside, one could hear the loud noise of war. Cops were desperately trying to shoot the unknown being, but we didn’t care. Or at least I didn’t. “You and I, we’re not meant for each other.”

Tears swelled up in her eyes. She didn’t understand. I mean, how could she? She never did every time I tried. “But baby, I thought you loved me? You said you’d always be together with me.” Soft sobbing could be heard as I watch her try to control herself; trying hard not to fall in despair with only her sanity holding her back from bursting up in tears right there and then.

“Yeah, no, it’s just not working between us. You and I live in completely different worlds.”

I stood up and reached for Tiffany’s wrists. Was it Joy? Or maybe Wendy? Whatever, I’ll find out tomorrow. “We’re leaving now. You can have the damn cat too.” I pulled the girl and made my way towards the exit. From the moment I left that pub, I knew. I was done tolerating.

As I look back at my now ex-girlfriend, I saw her on what was my seat only moments ago, defeated, crying with her hands covering .

The alien walked past the pub. His sights aimed directly at the poor girl. A loud crack shot through the air.

That was the last I heard of Irene.