Playground Surprise

A Box for Red Velvets Cupcake-Stories

“Wendy.”

“What?”

“Wendy…”

“What…?”

“Wendy!”

“What?!”

Wendy turned her face around, annoyed that her best friend kept pestering her with questions without content. The girl had met Seulgi ever since they got into the same primary school class five years ago. Even though Seulgi was technically younger, they were only separated by a mere 11 days. The two instantly clicked from the moment they met and have been best friends ever since.

To be quite honest, Wendy didn’t even know why they are still friends. Without fail, Seulgi would annoy the girl senseless every single day with curious questions she has no answer to. For some reason, however, she never minded it. It kept her busy, but in a good way.

“What is it that girls like?”

The question caught her off guard. These were things adults usually think about right?

“I don’t know. Plush toys? Ponies? Don’t girls just like pretty things? What would you like?”

The girl continued to play with her two teddy bears. “How about older girls? Do they like other things too?”

Wendy looked up from her book. “Why do you ask?”

Seulgi quickly turned around. “N-Nothing. I was just curious” she stuttered.

The room stayed silent as Wendy returned her attention to the book. Neither of them were sure what to say next.

“I think girls like flowers.”

“Flowers?”

“Yeah. I sometimes see appa buy flowers for umma.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. Whenever she received them, she would smell it and smile. I think it makes her happy, because she would lean in and their lips would touch. I think adults do that.”

“O-Oh, okay.”

The teddy bears suffered under the embrace of the hug, but Seulgi wasn’t ready to let go. Her heart had started beating quickly suddenly and she wondered if anything was wrong.

***

Seulgi couldn’t sleep that night, tumbling on her bed from side to side.  Her mind was doing over time work and was throwing ideas after ideas into her clustered imagination. She left her bedroom to go downstairs for a glass of milk.

Baby, would you marry me?

Mom had left the television on. There was a guy kneeling down on her knees and in his hands, he held up a shiny ring. The girl looked flustered and happy. Watching the show on tv made Seulgi wonder if this is what made people happy. Suddenly it hit her. Maybe it was something she could do too!

Determined she quickly finished her glass of milk and quickly went back to bed. Tomorrow was the day.

***

“Hurry up! Come On! Something is happening at the playground!”

Wendy wasn’t sure what was going on, but boys at her school usually didn’t get this excited unless it was exceptionally good. She quickly ran after the boys, curious to what was going on.

A big crowd was circling around the center of field.

Wendy squeezed herself in between the people to get the front row view. There in the middle was a girl on her knees. She was holding a patch of grass with some white daisies in between. Wendy quickly recognized them from just outside the school yard where they grew on the opposite side of the road.

“Irene, would you be my girlfriend? Pweaaase?”

Irene instantly blushed crimson. Everyone was looking at her, awaiting her response to the girl’s sweet proposal.

“Shouldn’t you give her proper flowers instead of grass?” The crowd erupted in laughter. The idea of using grass instead of a bouquet was a silly idea. But Wendy loved every bit about it.

Seulgi didn’t budge. She was determined to get an answer from the other girl.

“Why would you give grass to a person you like? That’s just stupid.”

Wendy could hear the disgusting snickers between the boys and it annoyed her to no ends, but this wasn’t something she should step in to.

The other girl was still standing there, looking at the little self-made bouquet.

“I-I don’t know, Seulgi.” Irene said. “I think we sh-“

“Pleaaase.” Seulgi pleaded again. “I really really really like you.”

The older girl braided her fingers together, her thumbs rubbing nervously against each other.

“Oh.. o-okay.” A shy smile appeared on Irene’s face. She liked the younger girl just as much and if only she didn’t put her in such an embarrassing situation, she would’ve jumped in excitement.

Seulgi quickly stood up and beamed at the other girl before throwing her arms around her.

“Yay! You are my girlfriend now!” she exclaimed. Seulgi held onto Irene’s hands and swung it around.

“Ewww, Seulgi likes girlsss.”

“Hey!”

Seulgi puffed up her cheeks and bridged her arms on her sides. “No teasing, my girlfriend, okay?”

Wendy grinned at the side of her best friend protecting her new-found girlfriend. She could only wish that one day she too could find the happiness that her best friend did.

“Seulgi and Irene, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!” The boys went again.

Wendy quickly stepped forward.

“Hey! If you’re going to tease my best friend, I am going to KICK, YOUR, , okay?!”

The boys quickly dispersed and went back to their football game, seemingly having become uninterested in the ordeal.

Hmpf!

Seulgi felt a pair of arms thrown around her neck and a little peck on her cheeks.

“Girlfriend, huh?” Irene smirked. “Since when did you get so cheeky?”

Seulgi quickly turned red.

“But I love it. Thank You.”

“I love you too.”