The Beginning of Everything

Something of Love

A pair of black eyes snapped open as the tone of her alarm clock pierced through the silence of her room. The black eyes which were alert seconds beore became half-lidded after realising where the sound came from. A hand belonging to the owner of said black eyes darted out sleepily from under the thick, warm comforter to stop the irritating sound.

Covering a yawn from her other hand, a slim figure uncovered herself from the comforting warmth of her blankets, gathering the silk tresses of the black hair she was blessed with into a messy bun and making her way into the adjoined bathroom.

Leaning her hands on the sink, Lee Eunhye stared into the mirror with sleepy eyes, trying to collect even a fraction of her praised intelligence to get through the sleepy haze that covered her like a fog.

The sound of her bedroom door being opened abruptly made her snap back from the the sink before she heard the stern voice of her mother.

"Eunhye, if you don't want to take the bus to school this morning, I suggest you hurry up. I have to leave soon for work this morning and I'd rather drop you off myself." She could imagine her mother's frown without evening looking.

"You do remember the last time you spent too much time getting ready, right?"

The reminder made any sleepiness that might have been lingering in her disappear, and her lips turned downwards at the memory of taking the bus last year when she was late that day. It wasn't like she hated public transportation, it was just that her first experience included a sick middle-aged woman emptying her stomach all over her feet and the literature book she was carrying, and the book being school property, she didn't have fun explaining that one.

Remembering her mother was still waiting for her reply she called out a short, "I'll be out in a minute." before completing her usual morning routine.

She was waiting outside their apartment door for her mother five minutes later, dressed in the standard uniform for Seoul High School and not a hair out of place. Her mother nodded in approval when she was out a minute later, and they set out to her mother's car together.

The car ride to school was filled with silence, Eunhye staring out of the side window with a blank face. It wasn't always like that between them, there was a time where they were close. A time before her parents were divorced.

"Are you alright?" Her mother inquired as she sent a concerned glance her way. Eunhye realised that her eyes had become glassy with tears at the direction her thoughts were going, and immediately blanked her expression to her usual, nonchalant one. "It's nothing, really." She lied effortlessly, forcing her lips to a smile she knew would look sincere, before turning her head to stare out of the window once more. She didn't expect her mother to see through her, afterall, no one did.

She was at school less than 5 minutes later, and walking through the gates with a posture of grace. She ignored the admiring glances and turning heads as she walked by, it wasn't anything new to her.

It was her last year here, and she was more than glad to put it all behind her. She knew she was blessed with good looks, and she was smart as indicated by her near perfect score in all her tests, but none of it truly brought pleasure to her. She was doing it all just for the approval of her mother afterall.

"Eunny! Wait up for me, will you?" An exasperated but smiling voice called out from behind her. Eunhye's mood immediately brightened, as it always did when she heard her best friend's voice. And unlike with others, she didn't have to force the soft expression on her face as she looked at her.

"Nana, I didn't know you were coming behind me." Eunhye stated, clearly amused as she stared at the panting mess that was her best friend.

Nana huffed as she brushed a stray strand of her strawberry blond hair from her face while sending a glare her way. "Seriously? I sent you a text telling you to meet me at the gates, remember?" The blank look on Eunhye's face clearly spoke more than words to Nana at her question as she knew Eunhye didn't see the text. She rarely did.

"Nevermind, let's just head to the lockers, ne?" She sighed, shaking her head at Eunhye as they started towards the building.

"You shouldn't have expected any better, you know I don't like texting." mused Eunhye.

"Well, one can try can't they?" Nana said dryly while rolling her eyes. "I know you usually don't like hearing about these things but" Nana paused, biting her lips while staring forward and avoiding her stare.

"But what?" Eunhye asked, curious to see what she wanted to say. "There's this rumor escalating that, um, Lee Jinki has a crush on you" Nana said in a rush.

Eunhye nearly missed a step up the stairs they were walking as she was filled with mild surprise. "Lee Jinki? The basket ball Captain?" Eunhye asked with a blank face. "I don't recall ever talking to him. Or meeting him, for the matter." She frowned. 

"I heard some girls talk about it in the parking lot after you left yesterday. Apparently, he was enthralled by your performance at the class debate yesterday." Nana smiled mischievously, "Said it was love at first sight and everything."


Eunhye would've rolled her eyes if it was in her character. Eunhye didn't say anything as she pursed her lips and stopped by her locker. Nana's smiled faded abit as she realised Eunhye was going to ignore this news like she did usually when anything related to that subject came up. She already knew Eunhye didn't want any love in her life.

Therefore, both Eunhye and Nana had come to an unofficial agreement long ago that they won't talk about Eunhye's lack of interest in having a love life. Because Eunhye didn't believe in love and thereby didn't plan on dating anytime soon, according to her.

Not that it stopped Nana from trying every now and then to spur her feelings about the issue.

Eunhye's dissmisal on that chapter of her life doesn't stop any of the male students from confessing to her though, Nana thought as letters varying from different colours fell out as Eunhye opened her locker.

The display made a few students walking by to stop by and stare, despite it not being a rare occurence. Eunhye sent Nana a look and they both bent down to collect them.

"You know," Nana tried again, "Onew Sunbae is very sincere and sweet in his efforts. I won't be surprised if he does a grand gesture to ask you out. I heard he goes all out on those sort of things." She said cheerfully while observing Eunhye out of the corner of her eyes.

Even without Nana mentioning it though, Eunhye knew the plays Lee Jinki puts for the girls he's interested in. It was the second thing the students of Seoul High knew about the popular basket ball star, first thing being his obssesive love for chicken.

"I hope it doesn't apply this time though." Eunhye grimaced as she stood to shove the letters back in to the locker. "I don't want to reject him infront of the entire school." She said coolly and slammed the locker shut as the bell rang for the first period.

Nana just sighed and followed her best friend as she walked in the direction of their class, shaking her head.

Turned out Lee Jinki did plan on asking her out. And it was the biggest and most outraging display she ever saw in her entire life, and no, she wasn't exaggerating.

She was on the phone with her mother as she walked out of her cafeteria after lunch, since she needed to inform her mother about finishing late that day. Nana per usual, took the time having her lunch, since she had a free period after lunch everyday. 

"Oh, you're finishing late today?" Eunhye's mother inquired over the phone. Her tone suggested she was diappointed with this, which surprised Eunhye as her mother never had a problem with her staying late at school.

"Yes, why? Did you need me at home this evening?" Eunhye asked as she navigated through familiar hallways to head to her next class early. "Yes, actually, I have to tell you something important, honey. But I suppose I can tell you over the phone instead."

Eunhye's eyes widened a fraction at the bit of information. Her mother only used names of endearment only when she was about to tell her things she wouldn't like. 'Honey' was a new word her mother hasn't used yet, and she knew she wasn't going to like this. Not one bit.

When she was just about to reply however, she was distracted by someone calling her name. She was on the outdoor corridor which lead to her class, the passage-way looking over the compound. She turned her head, her eyes searching before they fell on the figures in middle of the compound.

Her jaw went slack as her lips parted in surprise, staring at the compount with embarassment and an emotion she couldn't describe.

Lee Jinki, assuming he was the one wearing a basketball Jersey with 'LEE' on the front, was on his knees, holding a bouquet of roses. If that was it, Eunhye might've found the whole ordeal abit flattering, but it didn't stop there.

Two other guys, by looking at the similar jersey's, Eunhye assumed were his fellow basket ball players, were holding out a huge poster which resembled a banner behind them. It was a childishly drawn picture of two roasted chickens holding hands with each other. The chicken on the left was drawn with a pink tie on top, and by the large letters-her initials that is, 'L.E' written near it, Eunhye assumed the picture represented her and..Lee Jinki.

She stood still forcing down the blush that threatened to raise up her cheeks, while staring at the scene with disbelief.

"Honey?" Her mother's voice broke her out of her stupor, and realised with mild surprise that she was still on a call with her mother. She didn't get to answer her though, because Lee Jinki was shouting across the compound, with a goofy, carefree smile that indicated he didn't mind the students that were gathering fast to stare at the spectacle, a few of the them muffling giggles behind their hands at the display.

"Lee Eunhye! You might not know me, and I know we never talked before, but it only took me 12 seconds to fall in love with you, seeing you on that stage yesterday! It took me 12 seconds to fall in love with you, but it'll take forever for me to fall out of love with you! I promise you'll be a priority above chicken for me, so will you please go out with me?"

Silence. The whole compund was silent as they all looked in her direction, and at this point there was no stopping the blush that burned her cheeks.

For once in her life, Eunhye found herself at a loss for words, it was all too sudden. "Eunhye? Are you there? I got to go but what I was going to say was due to some circumtances I can't discuss with you, a boy is going to be staying with us for awhile. His name is Kim Jongin, and he's flying in later tonight. I really have to go, I'll call when you get home, alright?" Her mother's voice was followed by the sound of the call disconnecting.

Eunhye was stunned beyond belief. The phone slipped from her hands and fell on the floor with a thud.

What? A boy was going to be living with them? Out of nowhere? Her thoughts were starting to jumble up. Worse of all, she was the object of more than a dozen stares, curious of what her reply to the bizarre confession would be.

Why did she have the feeling her whole life is going to turn upside down?