I. First Meeting

Mortals

It was a dull night for Cha Hakyeon; he got out of a meeting at exactly 09:18PM, then went out for a drink with friends to celebrate the promotion Jung Taekwoon got at his job, flirted with the young woman who brought them the numerous bottles of soju, and filled his stomach with spicy kimchi and delicious grilled beef, then he went home. To him, that was a dull night. 

The doorbell to his flat rang once, then twice. When it rang the third time, Hakyeon decided that it would be a good idea to open it. Kim Wonsik stood in front of the door, hands in his pockets and a distressed look on his face. 

"It's two in the morning," Hakyeon sighed. "Whatever you want, it better be important."

"I need your help," Wonsik breathed. "Hyung, this is very important."

Hakyeon moved to the side to allow him to come in. He was surprised when he saw Wonsik holding on to the wrist of a girl, and pulling her as he walked in. Why the hell does he have a girl with him at this hour? Hakyeon asked himself. I've never seen her before. Pretty sure she's not his girlfriend.

"Hyung, I need a favour from you." Wonsik took a seat on the sofa, leaning his upper body to the front and running his hands through his face. "My parents are visiting from New York for a few months, and I can't keep Hanbi with me."

"Hanbi?" Hakyeon asked, glancing at the girl or a few seconds. "Is she Hanbi?"

Wonsik nodded, "I should introduce the two of you first, sorry. Hanbi, this is Cha Hakyeon, he'll be taking care of you for a few months."

Hakyeon stood and shook his head, looking down at Wonsik with an incredulous expression. "What the hell, Wonsik? I didn't agree!"

Wonsik stood and took Hakyeon's hands in his, looking into his eyes with a pleading expression. Hakyeon took notice that Wonsik was in fact pleading with him, and he knew that he needed to say yes for some reason. So, he sighed and nodded, pulling away from Wonsik's warm hands. "Fine, fine. For how long though?"

"My parents are going to be here for three months at least, maybe four," Wonsik breathed, finally letting out a smile. "When they leave, I'll take her back."

"Who is she, anyway?" He glanced down at her, noticing some of her facial features. She had a small face, accompanied with big brown eyes and a small set of lips that were coloured a soft pink. Her hair, dyed an orangy-brown, was long and styled neatly over her shoulders. She wore an oversized cardigan—buttoned halfway—with a peach coloured and jeans, a simple outfit. Hakyeon decided that she didn't care for her appearance that much by the stuff she wore.

"Hanbi?" Wonsik glanced back at her with a warm smile. "She's... Uh, she's... She's a distant relative. Our parents don't get a long that much, so they can't know she's here."

After Wonsik left at four in the morning, after helping Hanbi settle in to the empty room Hakyeon had in his flat, Hakyeon decided to spend the rest of his time watching reruns of dramas and wondering about the girl that would be staying in the guest room. From what he was told, she was from Pohang, a seaport city in North Gyeongsang. But he couldn't imagine her being from Pohang. To him, she looked as if she were from Seoul, a natural beauty. She hid these big brown eyes that would make anyone think that she was mixed, small lips that were tainted pink, a small face that his hands could fit around, and long honey-brown hair that seemed to cut just recently by the size of her fringe. Hakyeon knew that much about her, and that her name was Kim Hanbi.

"Aish!" he groaned, running a hand through his hair. "This is so annoying!"

"I'm sorry," a soft voice came from behind him. He turned, spotting Hanbi standing a few feet away from the sofa he was sitting at with her upper body bowed in his direction. "I'm very sorry, Mr. Cha."

"What?"

"I'm sorry for intruding in your home." She slowly sat up, and Hakyeon was surprised. Her face didn't have a single blemish, and he thought she must have been some kind of goddess sent to Earth.

He immediately shook his head and stood, pulling on the slippers. "There's nothing to be sorry about. When were you born, Hanbi?"

"October 13, 1993." She answered, hands still pressed in front of her. 

Hakyeon nodded and gave her a friendly smile, "I was born on June 30, 1990, so I'm older than you. Instead of calling me Mr. Cha, you can call me oppa."

"I don't think it's appropriate, Mr. Cha," she mumbled, biting her lower lips. He took notice that she had a regal way of speaking, as if she weren't from this time. "We have only known each other for a few hours."

He nodded, "You're right, but I think it'll be okay to call me oppa​ from now on. Do you call Wonsik oppa​ or by his first name? Oh, of course you must call him by his first name, you two are born in the same year."

"He insists that I call him oppa," Hanbi mumbled once again, no smile appearing from her lips. 

Hakyeon, on the other hand, laughed and shook his head in amusement. "Of course he would want that. He likes being called oppa, even if it's from a woman older than him." After he laughed, he looked down at Hanbi to see that she had a face filled with curiosity. Somehow, and he didn't know why, he wanted to break the awkward barrier that was placed between them. So, he did the only thing he could think of. "Do you want something to eat?"

"Isn't it late?" she asked, glancing at the window. "Wonsik told me that you have work in the morning and that I shouldn't bother you."

There was a small smile that began to spread around Hakyeon's lips, small and filled with thanks. He shrugged his shoulders and dug his hands deep inside the pockets of his trousers. "It'll be okay, I think. I'll just order some food and we can watch a movie if you'd like."

"A movie?" she questioned, furrowing her brows. 

"A movie," he chuckled. "You do know what movies are, right? You must have had movies in Pohang."

She nodded, "My mother never allowed me to watch movies." Almost quietly, too softly for Hakyeon to pick up as he took his phone from the counter and dialled a number, she mumbled a sentence that would make any person be surprised. It was as soft as a whisper, if not even softer. 

As Hakyeon spoke on the phone, she began to look around. First, she went to the window and saw Seoul glittering in the night. The light from the buildings seemed to intrigue her, bright and shining like stars against a dark night. The cars speeding in the streets reminded her of falling stars, fast and disappearing without knowing where they went. She saw people moving about, smiling brightly and cloaked in their warm sweaters. Hanbi thought of them as lucky.

The second place she stood by was the bookcase filled with a few books and pictures. The titles in the book were hard for her—they were in either English or Chinese—but the pictures comforted her. There was a picture of Cha Hakyeon standing between two men and three woman. She figured our which were his parents, due to the wrinkles in their faces, and deducted the other three as siblings. They all looked alike to her, small faces with small eyes and small features. 

She then moved to the black piano sitting in the corner of the luxurious living room. The keys shined bright, white and black, without a spot of dirt or dust. She didn't see any finger prints either, so the first thought was that it was for show. Although the plotted plants and the few pictures could have told her that. She straightened her back and let out a small breath, admiring her surroundings. Then, she admired Hakyeon. He was still on the phone, but there was something about him that made Hanbi feel warm.

The food arrived half an hour later, the table was filled with numerous plates of food that Hakyeon had ordered: stir fried pork with vegetables, kimchi fried rice, seafood pancakes, blood soup for him, and beef soup for her. He smiled and told her to sit as he filled two large glasses with water. At first, after they sat down, she took small bites of everything, almost as if she was going to leave some for another person or for another day. Only after Hakyeon told her to eat more did she do so. 

Watching her eat was intriguing for him, especially how she savoured each food slowly. He chuckled and looked down at his soup, "Do you work?" he suddenly asked. It wasn't that he was bored, he just wanted to know more about his guest. 

Hanbi shook her head, "No."

"Are you planning on working?"

"Wonsik is helping me find a suitable job," she nodded, looking at him. "He says that I need to find something that intrigues me, as well as it pays, of course."

"A good paying job is important these days," he agreed, smiling. "Do you know what I do?"

She shook her head, "No."

Hakyeon smiled and leaned back a bit, "Do you know Park Ji-yoon? Kwon Taeun? Changgdai?" he asked, smiling even more. "They're idols, the best in all of Asia. And do you know who manages all of them?" He pointed at himself with the chopsticks. "Me. I'm the CEO and founder of VOL Entertainment, one of the biggest entertainment companies in all of South Korea, right between SM, YG, and JYP." He grinned widely, enjoying the small limelight that hit him directly in the nose. Of course he was proud of his accomplishments, and he did enjoy boasting about them as much as he could. Not everyone became a CEO at the ripe age of twenty-five. 

"What does VOL stand for?" Hanbi asked, tilting her head to the side. "Does it stand for something? Or are they just random letters put together?"

"It stands for Voices Out Loud." Hakyeon pointed at a single direction when he said each word, smiling. "I want my artists to feel that their voices are being heard throughout their music and the shows that they do. Because, what's the point of being an artist if no one hears you?"