Exo M Member - Lay

Exo Member Analysis

Exo Member- Lay/Zhang Yixing

"Actually dreams are not far, you just have to put in the extra effort to achieve it. Although we may miss the beautiful scenery along the way, but at the very end you will be able to spot the rainbow!" [Zhang Yixing]


 


To start off with Lay is apart of the subdivision within Exo-M. Being the main dancer in Exo-M his dedication and hard work definitely shines along with his determination in exceeding through his vocals, instrumental, and language skills. Keeping this in mind Lay can sometimes be a perfectionist especially when it comes to his dancing/technical skills as he often would practice +10 hours on dancing even skipping a meal or two! Even when he had sustained a waist injury and had to often be accompanied by the other members to the hospital during their trainee days; Lay still tried to dance and continue even though he was injured. I really respect how dedicated he is even though he had gotten depressed during the Exo Showtime filming, for he was upset that he couldn't participate in dancing. This really expresses how music is apart of Lay and his joy. Lay also has a kind heart; sometimes a bit too sincere and nice for his own good as this would result in him to not always be as competitive. Such as on a Chinese Variety Game Show where Lay was a guest member; he purposely let the other contestant win due to feeling he was not worthy. Honestly I feel that Lay is a bit insecure with his abilities as this is what would result in him striving to succeed in such way.

Onstage Lay has a strong appearance compared to being offstage. This is where we can see him focused and truly enveloped in the music. Often in variety shows where Lay is asked to perform a free-style dance you can tell how focused he is within the music/soundtrack as he often says "Raise the music please/Can you turn the music on." With this it displays Lay's passion in music and as a dancer as he is one that has to truly "feel" the music in order to dance or sing in such way. He also seems to brighten up when performing on stage as he's been performing as an entertainer since his childhood days back in China. Lay's interest in instruments such as teaching himself how to play the guitar and piano also shows his versatility. He has created his own soundtrack and say in choreography with his solo featuring his dancing and composing skills. With the interesting details such as the human breath, traffic noise, and his own twist of dub step influences; the choreography matches even the slightest key points heard in the soundtrack which points to Lay's keen eye on the slightest detail. The microphone stand and his hat at the end of the solo also represents his singing (microphone stand) and dancing (hat) passion and the role/importance it has to him as voiced through an interview. For Lay has an interesting and different approach to how he interprets and creates music as well as how he acts resulting in some calling him 4D.

Yet offstage Lay is the opposite from the fierce onstage appearance as he is quite quiet and in the background sometimes not vying for attention. Though there is sometimes when Lay can be playful such as teaming up with Luhan to play around with the other members. He can also be quite blunt and honest, whether intentional or not, often spilling the beans on the other members' secrets such as their Leader Kris in interviews. However Lay's expressions or should I say lack of expressions sometimes is another factor to be noticed. Whether he's heavily thinking or simply out of it, Lay's JPG moments are always interesting to see as he a lot of the time looks really spaced out resulting in him to sometimes be a step slower in reacting or responding to things. Also through commercial recordings, promotions, and being an mc host this chinese member likes to has some fun, either by stumbling on his lines, being blank/blunt, and spontaneously laughing; offstage we get to see him more relaxed/laid-back and not aspressured.As often Lay tends to be quite forgetful possibly due to him focusing on particular things as we can speculate he is the type of person to heavily think about certain situations and possibly dwell on certain problematic issues. This can be determined as Lay is the type of person who bottles up his sadness/problems continuing to shake him up; as this is a possibility due to him not wanting to be a burden. For in general sonetimes I feel that Lay is unsatisified with himself, yet he needs to realize that it is okay and that no one is perfect.

Lay in general is a kind of person in which you get what you see, as he is very sincere and earnest in what he does, frequently enacting in charity works and focused in his career. For Lay is that one person who'd be a great loyal friend to have; as whether you're even a fan or just a mere passerby, he's the kind of person who would happily try to know you. Sometimes life gets tough and Lay realizes this himself, yet he sees the positives in the end results as afterall it is hard to be away from your family, hometown, and culture for +5 years. Yet whether his is working hard or may be 4D at sometimes it just adds to how unique our sweet healing unicorn can be.