Finale

The Pleasure Is Mine
 
Do you ever wonder why things have to turn out the way they do?
 
* * *
 
       "Hi babe! It's me! I forgot to wish you good luck on your exam before coming to the State. Good luck~ Good luck! I'll treat you to something delicious once the storm's clear. Call me when you're done, I'll fly back to you ASAP~"
 
Hera smiled sheepishly at her boyfriend's voice message. She repeated it for a few more times before going into the exam hall. Who knew Bobby Kim can be so sweet and caring?
 
Bobby Kim. Where should Hera begin? He's a total sweetheart. He knows how to please a girl, he gets straight to the point every time. Argument? What is that? Bobby has never raised his voice, nor has he ever shown any sign of violent acts toward her. Except sometimes he gets a little overexcited and starts babbling about nonsense but that's all good. 
 
The final exam was tough. After finishing it with full confident, Hera and some friends went out to have a refreshing time at the newly opened cafe nearby their college. The place was nice and full of romantic aura. It was like a place where princesses would meet their prince charming. Just like the prince caught sight of Cinderella, Hera spotted a tall figure standing by the counter, waiting for his drink. She didn't know she was capable of falling in love at first sight until that moment the boy glanced around and his eyes stopped at her. She looked away quickly, of course, but that didn't stop her from having her emotions swayed and messed up. 
 
Quickly, she stood up to leave. But she wasn't being careful and just bumped into someone. His drink splattered all over her. When she looked up and saw the boy at the counter, she mentally knocked herself out. How did he get here so fast?
 
"I'm so sorry," the boy apologized. "Gosh, I dirtied your uniform. I'm sorry. I'll have it dry-cleaned for you."
 
"It's okay," Hera told, but her friends quickly hissed in disapproval. 
 
"Are you crazy? He's cute! Go with him!" one of her friends mouthed from behind. The boy looked over when he saw that Hera was staring at his back. Her friends quickly acted like they wasn't ogling him.
 
"It's alright." Hera said again. The boy still looked at her as if trying to ask 'are you sure'. And just like she knew exactly what he was thinking, she nodded in confirmation. "I'll be fine."
 
"Okay, then. I'm sorry again." With that, he exited the place. As soon as he walked out the door, her friends whined to each other in disappointment. 
 
It was already a few days after the brief encounter with the boy but Hera still couldn't get him out of her mind. He had big eyes, something she loved in a man — and Bobby happened to not possess it; he was tall and fair, black hair and had nice smell. She wanted to see him again. And without knowing, here she was sitting in that cafe looking for the sight of him. She didn't know she had this in her, this side that yearned for someone else when her boyfriend wasn't around. She knew this wasn't right, Bobby would be disappointed if he knew. But it was too late to go back now as she saw the boy walk inside. He saw her too, and instantly he flashed her a greeting smile.  
 
"Hello," he came to her side. Hera stiffened, didn't know what to do. She only came out here to see him, and now that she had, what's next? Obviously she didn't think it'd go this far to talking with him. "Remember me?"
 
"Uh… yeah!" she nodded violently that her neck almost snapped with the force. Realizing she was acting too obvious, she stopped and added. "I guess. We go to the same school, right?"
 
The boy smiled. "No," Hera was about to melt seeing him flashing her that killer expression. "I damaged your uniform last time we met."
 
"Oh," Hera was more than glad he remembered their embarrassing encounter. Although she hoped he didn't. "Right. You were so clumsy about it." 
 
Silly! Silly! It was you who were so clumsy!
 
"Well, if you don't mind," he swiftly shifted into the seat next to hers. "Let me treat you something nice to drink."
 
"What? Why? Is it, like, a date?!"
 
The boy beamed, totally enjoying where this talk was heading. 
 
"To make up for last time." he said. 
 
"Ohh…"
 
"But a date would be nice, too."
 
Hera didn't realize she was grinning. The boy stood up and offered her his hand. Hera took it, and together they headed out of the cafe. 
 
-
 
Spending some times with Hanbin—that's his name; cute, isn't it?—made Hera feel something she didn't know she could have. It was so new and different, the kind of feeling she had never experienced before, not even with Bobby. 
 
And talking about Bobby, she fet really bad immediately. He had only gone for a week and she was already hanging out with a new boy, obsessing about him to the point where she woke up every morning expecting to see his name on the screen of her cellphone. How would Bobby react when he found out? He would be so upset, or worse, felt betrayed. She couldn't let it go that far. Either end it with Hanbin now before it got even more serious, or make it clear to Bobby about her affection that was no longer for him. 
 
Her mind went to Bobby, to the 3-month period they had spent happily dating each other. She reminded herself that she still loved Bobby, that he still mattered. But when Hanbin's name popped up on her screen, she knew all too well she could not lie to herself. 
 
Because never mind her mind, it's heart that counts in a relationship. And hers already went to Hanbin. 
 
-
 
After another week, Bobby finally came back from the States. Hera wanted to give him some time to settle down first, but having him kiss her the moment he saw her, having him hug her and tell her he missed her made her feel so bad. She couldn't hold it in any longer, so she decided it was the best to end it fast. 
 

"Bobby, we need to talk." short and simple. Every sin Bobby had done started flashing before his very own eyes. He looked at his girlfriend's face — totally unreadable. Did she find out about something bad he's done? Did she know he's not over his hot ex yet? Did she know that his trip to America wasn't for family purpose? All those thoughts flooded his head. He didn't know which one he was about to make excuse for. 

 
"Babe?" he placed his hand on his Hera's shoulder. "What is it?"
 
"Bobby," Hera addressed him again. Bobby embraced himself. He was probably never going to hear this sweet voice calling his name ever again after this. 
 
"Yes babe…?"
 
"Movies end. Dramas end. Shows get new seasons, new guests. Books get new covers. Musics get remixes, even products have expiry date."
 
"…okay."
 
Hera sighed and bobby was alert once again that she had not really said what she wanted to say yet. 
 
"What I'm trying to say is," Hera finally looked him in the eyes. This was it, Bobby thought. This was the end of his life. "I'm not in love with you anymore." she said clear and exact. 
 
"…" It struck Bobby so hard in his dumb brain that he needed a few moments to let it sink in. Once it did, he gasped. He opened his small eyes widely, looking into his girlfriend's. "What…?"
 
"I know it's shocked you, I'm sor-"
 
"You were in love with me?!" He asked, totally amazed by the idea of love and be loved. "I thought we were just dating! I didn't know it would go further into something like love!"
 
"Oh," Hera understood that Bobby was trying not to show that he was hurt or disappointed. So she went along. "Right. Like you said, we were just dating."
 
"Pff! Right?" he gave her a smile she knew was fake. 
 
"So it's okay for me to stop dating you and see someone else, right?"
 
"’course!" Bobby grinned till his eyes disappear. Hera nodded in acceptant that this was his way of coping with their sudden breakup. Knowing Bobby wouldn't hold it in for long, she left him be. 
 
"Stay in touch!" Bobby waved as he saw her off. Once she's gone and he closed the door, he sunk to the floor, burying his face in his palms. For a while he just sat there unmoving. All those thought came right back into his head. Maybe it was something he did. Maybe he bored her so much that she couldn't stand another minute under the same roof as him. Watching her figure getting smaller and smaller with the distant, he couldn't help but feel a little empty. Maybe it was because he still thought about his ex that he failed to see what his girlfriend wanted. Maybe she knew about it too, that was why she ended it in the most respectful way possible. She's such a nice girl. 
 
A moment later, Bobby looked up and grinned in relief. At least it ended now. 
 
"Phew!! I thought she found out about my folders or something."
 
-
 
After ending it with Bobby, Hera was no longer guilty to see Hanbin, to date him to her heart's content. But, as though fate was trying to punish her for hurting Bobby, Hanbin started acting weird after a month into dating. He would forget to text back, sometimes he replied with just "k." or "ily" with no emoji or a less-than sign and number 3. Other time he would cut their phone calls short, saying he had to go—that he's busy, but Hera saw him sitting in a restaurant with the seat across him occupied by someone. She thought it would just be some crazy coincidental meeting, but during the last half of the dating month, it became more and more obvious Hanbin was seeing someone else. 
 
Hera couldn't tell her friends about it; they would flip and make a scene. But she really needed to let this sadness out of her system; she really wanted to talk to someone. The only person that came to mind was Bobby. She knew it would be shameless to call him and tell him about such thing, but as she had known Bobby, he wouldn't judge her for such thing. He's a nice, understanding person. 
 
She pulled out her phone and called him. After the third ring, he answered.
 
"Hey," The other line greeted cheerfully, as always. 
 
"Bobby…"
 
"Hi, babe. What's going on? How are you?" Sweet as always, too. Hera's eyes stung with bitter tears. She inhaled deeply to calm herself before she answered.
 
"I'm fine, how are you?"
 
"I'm good, and you're lying. I can tell through your trembling voice. What's going on?" he sounded truly concerned. Hera breaks down. He knew her too well. "Babe?"
 
"It's just," Hera couldn't hide it anymore. She had to let it out before she went crazy. She had Bobby now. "I met someone after you, he was perfect. Not that you wasn't. But it's just that now he's changed and… and…"
 
"And what? Did he hit you or anything? I swear to god if he really did-"
 
"No. Bobby, it's just that… I think, I think he's cheating on me."
 
"What?!" Bobby yelled through the phone. "Who is this boy? Is he that great? Who does he think he is! Tell me his name I'll snap his neck for you!"
 
"I… no, you can't hurt him. Bobby, it's just that I'm worried. I don't want to be cheated on."
 
"Y'know what? Come out tonight. Forget about that boy and have fun with me. I'll take you to this nice party and introduce you to some of my friends. You'll find someone way better than that cheating pig. Alright?"
 
She didn't know how, but she ended up agreeing to go. At 7, Bobby arrived to pick her up. She kept quiet the whole ride, so Bobby tried to fill the silence with his bad jokes and how he spent his one month after their break up hooking up with his ex. Hera was disgusted and glad at the same time—glad he didn't dwell on the sadness for too long, and disgusted that he had to go back to the person he had broken up with. There's always a reason why it couldn't work out the first time, right?
 
They got to the party about half an hour drive. As soon as Bobby's car pulled in, Hera got the vibe again — the same one she got when she first saw Bobby. His presence was overwhelming. Everyone looked his way when he stepped out and walked over to the other side to open the door for Hera. When she walked beside him, she felt like a popular high school prom queen being assisted by the prom king. 
 
"Hey, e'body!" Bobby greeted his friends loudly. They all turned and gave him high5's. Bobby introduced Hera to them.
 
"This is my babe. Her heart is cracking and she is in need of some glue. Anyone can put the pieces back together nice and clean will get reward from me." he winked. Those friends gave Hera a knowing look as they wiggled their brows at Bobby's statement. 
 
"Also, get her two shots of vodka. Get the party started! I'll be right back. Babe, I'll be back." with that, Bobby shoved through the crowd and disappeared. 
 
Hera didn't expect much from those people. They told her jokes—not as bad as Bobby's but seriously, someone stop them!—and the boy who looked like he was in third grade got her drinks. Chanwoo, as he introduced himself. He's good-looking, Hera thought, and wasn't so bad, except he seemed to be doing everything everyone asked of him. He ran left and right when someone called his name. If she didn't know, she would think he was the maid here. 
 
Hera escaped to a corner and pulled out her phone to text Hanbin. She asked him how was his day, and as always, he replied that it was good and he "g2g. Ttyl." It was like this so often that it didn't surprise her anymore. But then, as clear as daylight, she saw Hanbin. There. Right across the room. He was looking around the place, searching for someone. Then he looked at his phone. He didn't see Hera there. Probably getting his text, he smiled that same killer smile and ascended the stairs to the person who might be waiting for him up there. Hera stood up, curiousity flared inside of her. Who could that person be? Why did Hanbin fall so deep he couldn't even see her anymore?
 
She followed him upstairs. Secretly, she peeked inside each room along the way. She found no sight of him. She looked from one to another until she reached the last room of the corridor. Standing right outside, she could hear Hanbin's voice from the inside. He was laughing, and saying something to someone. Then after a while the room got quiet. Hera pressed her ear against the door and listened. To her surprised, she heard various sounds—one of which was people kididng. She pushed away and shook her head. Hanbin wouldn't do this to her. But her conscience was clear. She knew they were doing something in there. With trembling hand, she twisted the doorknob and stepped inside. 
 
There, she saw Hanbin on top of someone, kissing. He worn no shirt, his pants ped, hair's a mess. Then, the person beneath him looked up and gasped at the sight of Hera. 
 
"Hera!" 
 
"Bobby…" Hera whispered his name in disbelief. Hanbin unsaddled himself off of Bobby and stood up in discontent. "Hanbin… you two were…"
 
"Wait, you know him?" Bobby asked while pointing to his hot ex-now-current boyfriend. When Hera was reluctant to answer, Bobby gasped again. "This is the cheating pig you were talking about?!"
 
Hera nodded, shutting her eyes. Hanbin looked from Bobby to Hera a few times. 
 
"Wait," he spoke up too. "Bobby, this is your test subject number 26?"
 
"What test subject number 26?" Hera asked too. Bobby scratched the back of his head and chuckled lightly. 
 
"You see, Hera, I'm not really interested in women."
 
"I can tell now. And?"
 
"And the thing is, I kinda dated women to test if I could feel anything for them after Hannie and I broke up."
 
Hannie?! *puke*
 
"So you dated me just as one of your many other tests?"
 
"Yea…?"
 
"Oh," that was all Hera could respond with. She looked at Bobby and Hanbin again. She looked at her shirtless boyfriend and her messy--hair ex. "So the one you've been hooking up with after we broke up is Hanbin?"
 
Bobby nodded. 
 
"You were cheating on me with Bobby all these times?"
 
Hanbin shrugged. 
 
"So my two boyfriends somehow cheated on me with each other?"
 
Both of them looked at each other, then turned to Hera and nodded in unison. At least they looked a little apologetic. 
 
Hera couldn't even cry. She just laughed, stopped to look at them for a moment, then laughed even harder. 
 
"You know what, I'm sorry." She spoke up after she managed to stop laughing like a person on crack. "For interrupting your private moment." she glanced at Hanbin's bare chest and visible abs, fighting the urge not to drool. What  a waste… "Please continue. I'll excuse myself."
 
Before she got out of the door, Hanbin called. Hera turned to look at him one last time. 
 
"Yes?"
 
"When you get downstairs, find someone wearing blue tee. I've talked to him about you and he's very eager to meet you."
 
"Are you setting me up with someone?"
 
"Yes."
 
"Why?"
 
"Because I'm guilty?" Hanbin gave her a genuine smile. "Because you're a nice girl and I happen to have a straight friend."
 
Hera sniffs back her happy tears. "Thanks, Hanbin."
 
"Anything for my babe's babe."
 
-
 
Downstairs, Hera searched for anyone wearing blue t-shirt. After many struggle, she finally spotted one standing outside by the pool. She carefully approached him. As though he knew she was coming, he turned to face her. Hera was struck by how nice his feature was. Even he wasn't so tall, he was handsome and he had good aura. A total prince charming!
 
"The girlfriend?" he asked, pointing at her. 
 
"The straight friend?" she pointed back. At the same time, they nodded and bursted into laughter. 
 
"Hi," he said as he held out his hand. "I'm Jinhwan."
 
Hera considered for a moment and decided to shake it.
 
"Hera."
 
"Pleasure to meet you, Hera. I've heard so many good things about you."
 
He gently held her hand. For a long time they just stared into each other's eyes. Hera blushed helplessly. There was definitely something about Jinhwan that made her so weak and yearning. This was what she had been looking for in a guy. Where had he been all her life?
 
"The pleasure is mine." 
 
 
* * *
 
 
 
 
 

The End

 
A/N: dun dun dun I hope this satisfied you xD