♦♦♦

Winning His Heart (Accidentally)
Winning His Heart (Accidentally)

 

KaiSoo - in which Kyungsoo has to keep his hands on Jongin for the longest time.

 

"Kyungsoo-ah, this is my revenge," grinned Baekhyun.

"No. Byun Baekhyun! Anything but this." Pleaded Kyungsoo. They were currently stood outside their local shopping mall in a medium-sized crowd of people.

 

There was an event on outside and that was exactly what Baekhyun had signed his best friend up for. One of those competitions where you have to keep your hand on a car for longer than everyone else, except this was a little different. First of all, it wasn't endorsed by a company like Pepsi, or the local radio station, but the proceeds were all going to the university's Performing Arts faculty. It was the same university that both Baekhyun and Kyungsoo attended but they studied in the Literature and Catering departments respectively. And the second difference was that it wasn't a car they were keeping their hands on. It was a guy. And not just any guy. One of the dance team, who were widely known for being so hot you could die. And thirdly, you won a date with the guy, seeing as there wasn’t a car to win.

 

"Baekhyun, I hate you." Kyungsoo grumbled.

"Well maybe you shouldn't have interrupted my cuddle session with my Giant." Retorted Baekhyun, sticking his tongue out at the younger male.

"Ew, that was not cuddling. And believe me, I didn't want to walk in on that. It was disgusting."shuddered Kyungsoo.

“You loved it. Come on, Kyungsoo. It cost a lot of money to get you enrolled in this!”

“I’m not standing for half an hour, clinging to some douchey dance major that probably thinks I'm some weird, erted creep.”

“He won’t, Kyungsoo, just do it,” Baekhyun used his strangely convincing puppy eyes.

“.....I hate you,” sighed Kyungsoo in defeat.

"Yes, yes, that's why I'm your best friend." Baekhyun laughed, rolling his eyes.

 

A voice spoke through the loudspeaker. "Announcement for all contestants, please make your way to the front."

 

"Baekhyun, you are going to ing die." Muttered Kyungsoo.

”Whatever, you say that everyday," the older rolled his eyes again, "go on, go to the front."

 

Kyungsoo groaned, then doing as Baekhyun asked, he walked to the front with his head down. A dusting of pinky red lay across his milky skin, particularly around his cheekbones and ears.

Kyungsoo joined the other contestants competing for the ‘prize’. Great, more embarrassment- his hyung, Yixing and his sunbae, Taemin, were also competing for the ’daebak’ prize of a date with the dance major. Baekhyun’s words, not Kyungsoo’s.

 

"Alright. Today, the rules are extremely simple. Whoever keeps touching our 'prize' the longest, wins him for a date. Now, boys and girls, please prepare yourselves. The competition has no time limit, meaning this could go on for quite a while. You will be allowed breaks at two-hourly intervals, but apart from that, you have to stay here and with your hand on the prize. Only one hand is needed, and as long as you don't have both hands leave his body, you can change hands. Any questions? No? Okay." The presenter rattled off, in haste to get started. "Contestants, please, when the buzzer sounds, put a hand on our Kai-ssi." The small crowd began a countdown from ten, to which Kyungsoo rolled his eyes.

 

It reached one and Kyungsoo still hadn’t placed a hand on the prize and surprisingly, he noticed it, reaching out for Kyungsoo’s hand and placing it on his hip. Kyungsoo looked up at him with widened, confused eyes but the dance major just smiled.

 

“It ought to be a fair game, we can’t have someone out before it starts.” the ‘prize’ explained. “Hey, I’m Kai.”

“Kyungsoo. Do Kyungsoo.” He stuttered out.

“What brings you here then?” Kai asked. The interaction between Kai and Kyungsoo earned them some confused looks from the other contestants, making them wonder if they’d planned it all.

“Oh, um, my friend decided to volunteer me.” Kyungsoo explained quietly.

“What’s your friend’s name?” Kai asked curiously.

“Oh, it’s Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun.”

“Remind me to thank him later.” Kai smirked.

“Wha-” Kyungsoo started, but was cut off by the loudspeaker.

“And we have our first contestant out!”

Kyungsoo looked up to the announcer, as one of his other classmates, Suho, walked away from Kai, laughing slightly and sending a wink to Kyungsoo, nodding his head towards Kai slightly. As Suho's eyes were moving away from Kai and Kyungsoo, they got caught on Yixing and he stumbled slightly, causing Kyungsoo to grin with his pouty, heart shaped lips before ripping his eyes away and back to the dancer.

Kai was smiling down at him, the height difference between the two more apparent. It made Kyungsoo feel even smaller than he usually did, which was both unsettling and cute at the same time.

“So, Kyungsoo, what are you studying?”

“Catering. I want to own my own cafe someday, but I’ll probably just have to work in other people’s restaurants until then.” He replied, his wide eyes glinting with dreams.

“One day you’ll have to cook for me. Arasseo?” Kai grinned.

“... If I have to.” Kyungsoo sighed.

At this point, the loudspeaker sounded again. “Contestants! Congratulations. You’ve made it an entire hour. Just one left before we take a fifteen minute break.”

“It’s been an entire hour? It only feels like ten minutes.” Kyungsoo mumbled.

“Aw, time flies when you’re having fun, right?” Kai grinned cockily, earning a chuckle from the others trying to win a date with him.

Kyungsoo became slightly flustered and awkward, as Kai began talking again.

 

“I know people who study over in Catering and the buildings near there, why’ve I never met you, eh?” Kai rose an eyebrow.

“I tend to stay away from people who are so sure of themselves, like you. I also prefer staying away from most people and those people I am friends with are annoying a lot of the time, but they’re true to themselves. That’s something you don’t tend to find very often and those who aren’t don’t interest me. I apologize if I sound rude, but you asked why.” Kyungsoo’s voice quietened towards the end.

“How do you know I’m not one of the few?” Kai smiled slightly.

“Because people like that don’t tend to objectify themselves by making their body a prize for someone to win. Either you aren’t or you are but you hate who you really are so you hide it. The first one is less sad.”

For the first time in their interaction, Kai didn’t have a smartass comment.

“So one of them was right, then.” Kyungsoo noted. “I won’t ask which.”

 

One of the other contestants was getting bored, Kai could tell. It was Yixing, his attention span had never been the greatest. No sooner had Kai turned to look at the Chinese male had his attention drifted completely and he’d lifted his hand (to scratch a particularly itchy part of his nose). Yixing only realised his mistake when he heard the loudspeaker announce his loss of the game. Yixing didn’t seem too upset, seeing as as soon as he moved away from Kai and the others, Suho walked over smiling and reaching for his shoulder. Kai didn’t see them for the rest of the event after that point.

 

Kyungsoo noticed that Kai wasn’t really talking to anyone else, finding it strange how the dancer had automatically attached his attention onto him. Kai seemed to realise this too, awkwardly making small talk with the other people latched onto his body. He didn’t seem as interested, Kyungsoo noted. Nothing was entertaining about listening to Kai flirt boredly with Taemin, so he tuned out, focusing on finding ways to kill Baekhyun later.

 

It was the loudspeaker that interrupted Kyungsoo’s plotting, as it announced another loss. This time from one of the other dancers, who was known around campus for being Kai’s biggest fan (and probably sasaeng).

Jiyoung? No… Ji-something… Jimin?’ Kyungsoo thought to himself quietly. ‘He’s a freshman, that’s all I really remember.’

Kyungsoo shrugged the loss of, slightly proud of himself for how well he’d managed so far.

 

“Yah, Kyungsoo, you okay there?” Asked Taemin, smiling brightly at him, which was thoroughly annoying (-for a change, seeing as Kyungsoo found Taemin’s smile charming, the rest of the time).

“Yeah, I’m fine, hyung.” Kyungsoo replied quietly.

“Hyung?” Kai asked Taemin.

“Oh, yeah. Kyungsoo is the one who sings while I do my dance showcase. I was meaning to introduce you two.” Taemin explained. “Kai is always asking who could sing like that, he wants you for his ballet performances.” He told Kyungsoo.

“That’s you? Wow, I’m almost speechless.” Kai’s eyes widened and his jaw dropped open slightly. “I didn’t expect that voice to come from such a…”

“Yeah, I know. I’m not exactly built like you performers are.” Kyungsoo muttered.

“I was going to say cute. I didn’t expect that voice to come from such a cute person. I kind of expected it to be one of the cocky music students.” Kai corrected him.

“U-Um, thanks. I guess.” Kyungsoo turned slightly pink at his comment.

“Taemin, you might have to share his magic with me.” Kai chuckled. “He’s perfect for my piece for the showcase.”

“Wait, who says I’m agreeing to this, dancer boy?” Kyungsoo scoffed.

“You didn’t need to, trust me.” Kai winked.

Kyungsoo was about to snap back at him, but Taemin interrupted them with a (not so manly) giggle.

“You two are so ing cute, it’s unreal.” He grinned widely before he (totally accidentally, of course) took his hand off of Kai and walking away.

 

And for the fourth time that day, the loudspeaker sounded. “And another contestant is out! They’re dropping like flies, so who will be the one that leaves next?”

 

There wasn’t much time for conversation after that, seeing as the break happened in the next ten minutes and leading up to that, both Kai and Kyungsoo were either reeling (Kai) or blushing (Kyungsoo) from Taemin’s comment before his departure.

Kyungsoo tried to spot Baekhyun in the crowd, but there wasn’t exactly much room for him to see, due to the crowd of people surrounding them all.

“I ing hate you, you .” Kyungsoo muttered, when he couldn’t spot the ash blond hair popping up in the crowd.

“Hey, are you okay there?” A voice said from beside him.

Kyungsoo looked up, seeing Yifan, one of Chanyeol and Baekhyun’s other friends.

“Yeah, yeah. Just looking for Baekhyun so I can choke him to death.”

“Nothing out of the ordinary, then.” Yifan laughed, showing a gummy smile. “I’ll let you get back to whatever you’re doing, Kyungsoo.”

“Ah, okay. If you see Baekhyun, tell him he’s a piece of .”

“Will do!” Kris nodded, smiling as he strode away.

Kyungsoo spent the rest of his break drinking a bottle of water and sulking.

 

Kyungsoo almost found himself relieved when the loudspeaker announced for him to make his way back. Almost, as in he stopped himself admitting he was actually enjoying Baehyun’s embarrassing punishment.

I can’t like this.

‘It’s everything I hate.

I hate being around cocky people.

I hate being around crowds.

Kyungsoo’s brain paused for a second, before going on to think,

But I like talking to him.’

It’s safe to say that Kyungsoo was startled after that, walking over in a daze and taking his place in front of Kai with a vacant, paler than usual expression.

 

“Kyungsoo, are you okay?”

“Y-Yeah.” Kyungsoo replied, snapping out of his thoughts.

He turned back to the person asking him, seeing it (finally) wasn’t someone that he knew or had seen around.

“Good.” He smiled. “I’m Choi Youngjae, what’s your name?”

“Oh, I’m Do Kyungsoo.” he replied, much warmer than he had when Kai had asked (Kai noticed).

“Have we met before? You seem kind of familiar.” The blond boy asked.

“I don’t think so.” Kyungsoo frowned.

“Wait, was it you in that band? The one at the New Years’ Party?”

“O-Oh, yeah, that was me.” Kyungsoo stuttered.

“Oh my God, that was you. You were so great, did you four write those songs yourself?”

The previous New Years’ Eve, Kyungsoo had performed in a band along with Chanyeol, Baekhyun and their friend Luhan. They performed a few covers and a few original songs written down in the diner across from Baekhyun’s study hall over early morning breakfasts before they had to get to class. They loved playing music whenever they could, hence why they played at any opportunity (including Taemin’s dance recitals).

“Yeah, the acoustic ones we did. What did you think of them?”

“They were so, so, so good! Have you recorded them? It’d be really great if you four recorded your music.” Youngjae spoke brightly.

“Oh, um, no. We don’t have any recording equipment, but we don’t want to record it on our phones or something, we don’t want a ty sound if we actually do record any of it.” Kyungsoo explained, his eyes wider than usual (if that was even possible) as he talked about his passion.

“I totally understand what you mean.” Youngjae nodded. “Uh, if you want, I study over in the broadcasting faculty, if you want, I can get you guys some recording time?”

“You’d do that?” Kyungsoo’s jaw dropped.

“Yeah, of course. But you have to give me a copy for free.”

Kyungsoo laughed at that. “That’d be great. If you can get my phone out of my pocket, I’ll give you my number. Text me a time and we’ll be there.”

Youngjae reached and got Kyungsoo’s phone out with one hand. Kyungsoo took it from him, unlocking it, as Youngjae reached for his own phone. They exchanged phone numbers as Kai stood there seething.x

 

Kai was fuming. ‘Why on earth is this blond flirting with my Kyungsoo? Oh , he isn’t mine. Abort. Abort mission.’

Kai flinched suddenly, and the unexpected movement caused Youngjae to lose his balance, the hand that wasn’t holding Kyungsoo’s phone reached forward, grabbing whatever was upright; Kyungsoo’s shoulder. As Youngjae’s hand left Kai’s body, the dancer smiled slightly, glad that Youngjae was having to cut his conversation with Kyungsoo short.

Kyungsoo just sighed, promising the younger boy that he’d talk with him (and his other band members) later that day, as soon as all of this was over with.

The game unpaused, and Kyungsoo got uncomfortable. To change arms, he ended having both of his hands grasping Kai’s slender hips as he made sure he stayed in contact with the lithe dancer. Once again, conversation was lagging, until Kai realised that something in Kyungsoo’s story didn’t quite make sense.

“So, Kyungsoo. If your friend signed you up, why exactly didn’t you just take your hand off of me within the first minute?” Kai asked cheekily.

“...I have no idea, to be honest.” Kyungsoo furrowed his brows, but as soon as he went to remove his hand from the dancer’s hip, where Kai had placed it earlier, Kai’s hand reached out and stuck it into his hoodie pocket, holding it there, entwining their fingers and rubbing the shorter boy’s knuckles with his thumb.

“You aren’t leaving me that easy, Do Kyungsoo.” Kai almost whispered, leaning closer to Kyungsoo’s ear.

Kyungsoo remained silent, secretly enjoying their joined hands a lot more than he knew he should.

 

The other contestants didn’t really know what to make of things and one by one

they seemed to realise they had no chance of winning any more. Every few minutes, another disappointed competitor walked away from the dancer and musician/caterer. The competition may have only lasted another twenty minutes before all fifteen of the original contestants had dwindled down to just one.

 

Kyungsoo was pretty sure the only reason he had won was because he didn’t want to let go of Kai’s warm, calloused hand. He hated admitting it, but Kai was having a bigger effect on him than Kyungsoo would enjoy admitting.

Damn him and his toned body.’

‘Damn him and his cheeky smile.’

‘Damn him and that cute look on his face when he’s flirting.’

‘Damn him and-’

“Kyungsoo, who the are you on about?” Baekhyun asked.

“Oh . Did I just say that out loud? Oh my ing God no.” Kyungsoo’s jaw dropped in horror. “I didn’t just do that.”

“Yeah, sorry, you did. It’s pretty cute, anyway. Our Kyungie has a crush!” Baekhyun called to Chanyeol.

“Aw, do we know him?” The giant asked, chuckling and laughing dopily.

“I don’t have a crush, Jesus Christ.” Kyungsoo muttered, frowning.

Baekhyun, however mouthed (very obviously) over his shoulder “He so does, oh my God!” to his Chanyeol, who tried and failed to keep himself from cooing and laughing at Kyungsoo, who promptly kicked him in the shin.

 

Kyungsoo was called up to the front, to where Kai was waiting.

“So, Kyungsoo, when do you want to go on a date?” He asked bluntly.

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened before  remembering the reason he actually knew Kai.

“U-Um, I don’t mind. We don’t have to go out, if you want.”

“Kyungsoo, I didn’t just force you to win so that I didn’t have to go on a date with you.” Kai rolled his eyes. “Now please tell me when you are free next because I think you’re extremely cute and really want to kiss you and hear you sing all the time.”

“Whenever you want.” Kyungsoo blurted out, blushing red.

Kai grinned and took his hand. “I want you now. I mean, um, I’d- . I’d just like to go out with you as soon as possible.”

Kyungsoo gave him a small grin, his lips forming a heart shape. Kai smiled back and rejoined their hands, hoping he wouldn’t have to let go for a long time.

 


Author's Note:

It took me a while to get this finished and I kinda rushed the ending because I wanted to finish it for Valentine's Day. I hope you enjoyed it and remember to upvote and stuff because I like kaisoo too much.