01: Lee Minhyuk

It's Complicated.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter



 

guy #1.
                                    lee minhyuk

 

 

lee minhyuk
1990.11.29

 

 

 

This was a bad idea.

 

Shiyeon looked around her warily, fiddling with the straw of her smoothie drink.

Four high schoolers were sitting right across from them: Two brunettes, one black-haired, and one auburn. All were 180 cm+, had the flawless complexions of celebrities, the facial features of models, and were dressed in simple, yet trendy casual clothes.

Coffee drinks that Shiyeon wouldn't be able to say even in broken english were in their hands. The cafe itself didn't have anyone under the age of seventeen. Not to mention the background music that wasn't even close to the spunky idol groups she and her friends would hear everyday.

She wanted to crawl in a hole.

Mature people.

Definitely not where she belonged.

 

"We're eighteen."

 

Shiyeon almost choked on her drink.

What.

She gave a look of 'What the hell' to her friend, who pleasantly ignored her and instead chattered along with the auburn in front of her, as if nothing was out of the ordinary at all. From under the table, she felt a light pinch on her arm. Right away, Yoo Shiyeon got the message.

Blind date disaster take one.

 

"What school do you guys go to?" The auburn with pierced ears asked.

Shiyeon couldn't help but jump when the older guy spoke, totally unaccustomed to deep voices like his. After all, she spent her time everyday around hundreds of hormone-infested middle school boys in their puberties.

"It's a private school." Kim Nana, supposed "friend" #1 lied.

"What's it called?"

"Seonam's High school." Jieun, "friend" #2 casually made up.

The black-haired guy blinked. "Seonam's?"

"It's actually not too close around here. You guys probably won't know it."

"It's an all-girls school too." Nana added.

 

Shiyeon wanted to applaud. Her friends deserved gold stars for being so smooth.

 

"What about you, Minhyuk Oppa? How's it like being a 3rd year?" Nana coyly changed the direction of the conversation, leaning towards the guy she had set her eyes on.

But unfortunately, fate wasn't on her side, as Kim Nana recieved no answer.

Shiyeon looked up in surprise at the silence, only to face the newfound, amusing sight of the brunette to the very corner of their table: a tall, rather tanned guy in plaid who had been on his phone for the entire time with his earphones plugged in.

He didn't even lift his head up.

Shiyeon tried not to laugh as she took out her phone, grinning like a devil.

 

Shiyeon: Serves you right.

 

"Ha, don't mind him." The auburn said. "He's just a shy guy. Play with the other oppa's instead."

Shiyeon's phone lit up.

 

Nana: Shut up. He's not even my type.

 

She scoffed under her breath, watching her friend reluctantly take her eyes off of her uncooperative Minhyuk-oppa and move onto her next target: obviously the more friendly auburn.

And just like that, the atmosphere went up again, with sips of coffee drinks and the deep voices of the young men in front of them, all the while with the background music of the cafe's mature DJ playing.

Shiyeon shifted uncomfortably in her seat as she turned to look out the window, wondering why she hadn't kicked and screamed in protest when she had tried to refuse coming here in the first place.

She glanced over at Minhyuk in the corner, who had been hit on a couple more times throughout the past few minutes before everyone had finally given up. She wondered if he had come here for the same reason as her.

 

"Shiyeon,"

She looked up in surprise, only to see that the group was in the midst of getting up. Each girl and guy had already been paired up. Nana gave her a knowing look as she walked behind her auburn partner, which was anything but a welcoming sight.

Her friend raised up two fingers. Round two.

She glanced at Minhyuk, who was still very amazingly busy on his phone in the midst of his other three friends getting up to leave.

"Welp," Nana glanced between the two, obviously a bit bothered. She cleared , reminding herself of what her 'ex-candidate' was like.

"Have fun being rejected all day." She muttered under her breath.

  And so that was basically how Yoo Shiyeon ended up sitting alone with a stranger in the middle of an empty park at 4 p.m, fully prepared to get ignored for two hours.

 

"You need a ride?"

Shiyeon looked up in surprise when the older one broke the long, painful silence.

"Yes.... please."

She looked back down, feeling her cheeks heat up nervously. He was a hot guy four years older than her. And he was talking to her--

Wait.

She suddenly blinked in confusion.

..... A ride?.... But.... isn't he still in.... how--

"Ahjusshi?" Minhyuk turned away, on his phone. "Can you come to the park right now?... Yeah. We're right in front of the cafe."

Shiyeon's face dropped.

 

Oh.

 

"Thank you." The brunette ended the call, turning to lean back on the bench while scrolling through whatever he had been looking at on his phone for the past fifteen decades.

It became silent again, with nothing but the distant sound of water falling down the fountain in front of them.

 

To this day, Yoo Shiyeon wouldn't be able to know what had taken over her that moment. After all, the reason why she was sitting there was because of her friends. Because she needed to be the the fourth girl, a.k.a. 'a raise in the visual level of the group', according to Kim Nana. There was no reason to say a single word. Especially to a highschooler four years older than her who was out of her nonexistent league.

She would never even see this guy again after this day ended. Whether she completely ignored him back for the entire time or acted like he didn't exist didn't matter.... All she had to do was sit through this and get home.

But somehow, this situation... this all-so-familiarly-annoying situation.....

 

"Are you always like this?"

It was Lee Minhyuk's turn to look up.

"Huh?"

She quickly cleared , timidly lowering her voice after hearing her volume.

"You think it's okay to not even bother to hide the fact that you're some kind of chaebol? Just because I'm some girl you'll never even see again after today? Just because you don't care?!" She blurted out. "Just because I'm fifteen?!"

Shiyeon froze.

.

The brunette blinked a few times.

"... Fifteen?"

Shiyeon felt her cheeks heat up, shifting uncomfortably under the older's confused stare.

"I....." She suddenly stopped, questioning why she was even hestitating. I mean, it was her age, right? What was so bad about stating her age?! She had already ruined everything, so she might as well--

"Yeah, that's right." She lifted her chin up in confidence. "I'm fifteen! And so are my friends who came today!"

Shiyeon grabbed her bag, standing up in a huff.

"I've got nothing to lose, stupid chaebol--Ow!"

 

Oh My God.

She stared at the metal pole in front of her in mortification, horrified that she had committed the stupidest of the stupidest and had bumped. Into. A pole.

She had bumped into a pole.

After that.

Yoo Shiyeon lowered her face and made a twisted I wanna die expression. Because she had never been this embarrased in her entire life.

 

"... You okay?"

She chose to ignore his obvious "I'm trying not to laugh" voice and cleared instead.

"I-I'm fine. Thank you."

Don't talk to me. Don't talk to me.

"You still need a ride?"

"N-No, I'm good with walking home." She tried to cool down her red cheeks. "Now, if you will excuse me--"

 

And that was when the most strangest thing happened in the strangest situation.

Without a word, Minhyuk reached out and pulled her back down by the wrist. Shiyeon looked up at him with wide eyes.

He took off his right ear bud and raised it towards her, looking away.

 

"Wanna listen?"

 

To this day, she wouldn't understand. She may possibly never.

So by the time her thoughts proccessed through and this and that happened all the while Minhyuk's music played in her right ear,

Shiyeon decided to believe that Lee Minhyuk simply had strange, awkward preferences for girls.

 

"How'd you know so quick?"

She looked up in surprise.

"... Know what?" 

"That I was a chaebol."

Minhyuk turned to look at her suspiciously.

"Are you a chaebol yourself?"

Shiyeon was silent for a few moments.

"No."

She looked back away.

 

"But I do know one really close.... Really, really close."

 

----------------------------------

 

"And so we're going out now."

 

The room was silent.

 

"And that, my children, is why you don't go on blind dates." Baekhyun bluntly recited.

"But why?!" Krystal squealed in excitement. "It's the cutest thing EVER! He probably thought you were cute messing up and everything!"

"And he's super good-looking too! Trust me," Jieun pointed to herself. "I was THERE."

Baekhyun frowned. "But don't you think it's kinda shady, though? I mean, he's a 3rd year. Even I don't even LOOK at a middle schooler like you, and I'm two years younger than him, so why under God's name would HE--"

Jieun tapped her chin. "That is kinda true.... And I heard something weird from Dongjoon oppa about him--"

"Dongjoon oppa?" Shiyeon blinked. "You mean Auburn?"

"Goodness, Shiyeon. Learn to know your names, even if it's just a blind date!" She suddenly smiled. "I mean, I understand that you were too busy looking at your beloved Minhyuk-oppa, but--"

Shiyeon's face flushed. "I-It's not even that serious--"

"Of course it's not." Baekhyun leaned in. "I'm telling you, this whole 'A good-looking Oppa asked me out in a blind date where I happened to lie that I was eighteen' thing isn't the most trustworthy thing,"

"And as I was saying, Dongjoon oppa--" She looked Shiyeon, "--I mean, Auburn--told me something about him not getting over this other girl. Don't you think that's kinda fishy?"

Shiyeon blinked. .... Other girl?

Krystal suddenly scoffed. "Sheesh, it's her very first boyfriend. Why can't you guys be a bit more optimistic?! Those are all probably just rumors!"

Baekhyun shrugged. "I'm just stating what's true." He turned to his friend. "Right, Myungsoo?"

 

Kim Myungsoo barely grunted, not looking up from his phone. "Why bother when they'll break up anyways."

Shiyeon scoffed, finding the image awfully familiar. "Easy for you to say. Your relationships don't even last longer than a week--"

"And so will yours, honey. You're in middle school. You should be playing with your dolls, not going on blind dates."

 

Shiyeon narrowed her eyes at him, suddenly feeling awfully annoyed by his presence.

And so as usu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter