Final

A Chocolate For Your Love

Kyungsoo has witnessed too many love stories that bloomed in his little sweets shop. From a simple crush of a boy to his kindergarten classmate down to the old couple who lives in the same apartment building as him. Even his friends’ love stories are his to behold. It’s not that he is a cupid or something, but it seems that his creations are making people fall in love and stay in love.

 

“Hi! Welcome to So Heaven where your love story begins!” Luhan greets from behind the counter as a customer enters the shop. “What can I get for you, sir?”

 

Kyungsoo smiles at the greeting he overheard all the way from the kitchen where he is mixing the ingredients for their best-seller: the Eternity. It had been said, by many who bought the sweet stuff, that it made wonders to their love life. Kyungsoo didn’t believe it was because of his creation though but the more people tell him that the Eternity chocolate had made their relationship eternal, the more he was leaning towards believing it.

 

“Oh, the Eternity chocolate, excellent choice,” the excitement in Luhan’s voice is obvious even to Kyungsoo who is busy filling the mold of his creation. “Did you know that our sweets make people fall in love? But the eternity chocolate, this one’s the magic maker. Believe me, I tried it myself,” Luhan winks and the customer smiles at his enthusiasm.

 

Luhan is one of those who gave the Eternity chocolate to the one he loves and experienced the magic the candy is known to be. He has been harboring feelings for his best friend Minseok and couldn’t find the courage to confess. When he finally did, he offered a box of the chocolate to Minseok and the latter accepted his love without qualms. It was purely circumstantial but Luhan strongly believed that if it weren’t for the candy, Minseok wouldn’t have accepted him.

 

“Good luck on your proposal! I’m sure she’s gonna say yes,” Luhan calls out to the customer who is about to go out the door as Kyungsoo emerges from the kitchen. “Oh, hi! Are you done?” Luhan asks turning his attention to the sweets creator.

 

“Yeah. I’ll go home first. Is there something you need help with before I go?” Kyungsoo replies as he walks around Luhan to get his things behind the counter.

 

“No, nothing. You should take a box with you again and give it to him.”

 

Kyungsoo sighs. He knew Luhan is never going to forget reminding him to try again.

 

“Don’t you think it’s a little too obvious now? That my creations do not work on me as much as it does to other people?” Kyungsoo protests as he settles himself against the counter facing Luhan.

 

“What are you talking about? Of course it will work on you! The Eternity chocolate just needs time to create your love story for you,” Luhan will not have any of Kyungsoo’s negativity. He gets a box of the sweet concoction and hands it to Kyungsoo.

 

“But it’s already what, 6 months since I started giving him this but he still hasn’t asked me out?” Kyungsoo pouts cutely resting his head on his propped up hand. Luhan pinches his cheeks and he shrieks in reaction.

 

“Stop being so pessimistic and believe in the power of Eternity! This is why it’s taking so long for him to notice you because you don’t believe in its magic yourself!” Luhan grabs Kyungsoo by the arm and forces the chocolate to his chest. “Now go get your man!”

 

The sweets creator smiles in defeat and accepts the box of Eternity that Luhan shoved. He straightens himself and begins walking towards the door. Luhan smiles at him encouragingly when he looks back before he reaches the door.

 

The elevator ride to his apartment floor is a battle of whether or not he will give the chocolate to the man who lives right across his apartment, a.k.a Kris Wu, Kyungsoo’s unrequited love for a long time. He has given the man the Eternity before, many times at that, but Kris remains the same; friendly but not enough for Kyungsoo to hope that there’s going to be something more.

 

“Hi Soo!” Kris greets the moment the said man exits the lift. Kris is almost always by his apartment door every time Kyungsoo comes home. It almost feels like he is waiting for Kyungsoo, or what the latter would like to think.

 

“Hi! Just got home too?” Kyungsoo greets back.

 

“Yeah, we would have ridden the same elevator have I been a minute or two slower,” Kris beams. “Do I get a box of chocolates tonight?”

 

Kyungsoo tightens his grip on the box of Eternity inside his bag. Kris is expecting his gift and he wonders if the man knows the true meaning of it.

 

He brings the box out, “Here you go,” and hands it out to Kris who accepts it with both hands. He turns and fishes his keys in his bag as he walks towards his own apartment door.

 

“Say, Kyungsoo,” the said man stops from rummaging inside his bag to give his attention to the one who uttered his name. “Do you have plans tonight?”

 

The shock in Kyungsoo’s face might be obvious because Kris has hastily continued to explain. “See, I am planning on watching this movie and it’s too sad to watch it alone. Well, if you have plans already that’s okay.”

 

“No,” Kyungsoo blankly cuts off.

 

“I understand,” Kris smiles dejectedly and diverts his attention to opening his door.

 

“No, I mean, I don’t have any plans,” Kyungsoo explains hurriedly, almost desperately so. He was just shocked that a moment ago he was giving up and now he is going out with Kris.

 

“Great! We’ve been neighbors for too long and we haven’t had the chance to hang out.”

 

The hope that is slowly building up again in Kyungsoo’s heart comes crashing down without even reaching its peak. It isn’t a date. Why did he jump into a conclusion that Kris was asking him on a date? It’s just a friendly hang out.

 

“See you later, Soo!” Kris says with a finger salute before closing his door on Kyungsoo.

 

The sweets maker sighs and finally accepts the inevitable. He creates candies that make people fall in love with each other, except him apparently.

 

Kris knocks on his door after an hour. He has been ready since thirty minutes ago—not because he’s excited but because he’s too disheartened to eat dinner that he got himself ready instead. He opens the door and his breath hitches at how good Kris looks. Too bad the man isn’t interested in him. He wants to cry because this is what he will be missing. He can’t have Kris.

 

“Ready?” Kris asks.

 

“Yeah,” Kyungsoo replies shortly.

 

“Well then, let’s go.”

 

To Kyungsoo’s surprise, Kris brings him to an old movie house that shows classic Hollywood films. He is almost sure that Kris will take him to watch an action-filled movie but as it turns out, he is wrong. The man is into sappy classic love stories. Kris seems like someone who would prefer awesome stunts and amazing car chases that when they go inside to watch Breakfast in Tiffany’s, Kyungsoo is in disbelief. He has seen the movie too many times than he is willing to admit. In fact, he sings Moon River in the shower in a true Audrey Hepburn manner.

 

“I never thought you’d watch this kind of movie,” Kyungsoo whispers as they settled themselves in their seats. There are quite a few others with them inside, mostly lovers, some single old ladies still clinging on the hope of their own romantic story. Kyungsoo thought these people should buy Eternity from their shop.

 

“I like the classics, simple yet full of substance. Unlike most of the movies now that doesn’t make any sense,” Kris’ answer makes Kyungsoo want to die even more. The man is an ideal boyfriend. And that intensifies his question as to why doesn’t the Eternity chocolate work on him? Life is unfair.

 

The movie starts and they both turn their attention to the screen. No matter how many times Kyungsoo has repeatedly watched that movie, the scene where Audrey Hepburn was looking for her cat named “Cat” still makes him tear up. He sniffs and clears his throat to stop his tears from falling, to which Kris may have noticed because he turns his attention to Kyungsoo.

 

“Are you crying?” The concern in Kris’ voice only makes Kyungsoo want to cry even more.

 

“No, I’m not!” He denied vehemently, subtly rubbing his eyes to wipe away his tears. “Something just got into my eyes.”

 

“Okay,” Kris smiles knowingly and focuses back onto the almost ending movie.

 

Kyungsoo’s stomach growls the moment they stepped out of the movie house. Holding back his tears made him hungry especially since he hasn’t eaten anything aside from the nachos he ate inside the theater.

 

“You’re hungry,” it wasn’t a question but a statement from Kris.

 

Kyungsoo just grins sheepishly, embarrassed that Kris had to hear the sound his stomach made. “Yeah. I kind of didn’t have anything for dinner.”

 

“Why didn’t you say so? We should have gone to a restaurant before we watched a movie.”

 

“That’s okay. I can just eat ramyun in my apartment.”

 

“Speaking of ramyun, I know a place that makes the best ramyun in town. Let’s go there instead.”

 

“Um, yeah, sure,” Kyungsoo hesitantly agrees.

 

Kris grabs his hand as he leads the way to the direction of the ramyun place. The move surprises Kyungsoo that he felt electric shock run from his hand to his entire body. Kris must have felt it too because he looks at their clasped hands and lets go.

 

“I’m sorry,” Kris whispers. It’s as if he’s apologizing because Kyungsoo looks like he’s uncomfortable.

 

“No, it’s okay. I just felt something…strange, that’s all. You don’t have to apologize about it,” Kyungsoo assures and this time he initiates by holding Kris’ hand. The latter smiles at him and they start to walk.

 

Kyungsoo is too preoccupied about their held hands that he doesn’t realize they are back in their apartment building until he rides the elevator. Kris grins at him sheepishly, showing his gums in the process.

 

“Here we are,” Kris opens the door to his apartment and Kyungsoo only comprehends what is happening until that moment. “I make the best instant ramyun in town and you are the first one to try it.”

 

Kyungsoo shakes his head in amusement and enters the room. He is surprised to see that the room is well kept. It’s very minimalistic with its white walls and a huge space in the living area occupied by a contrasting black couch made only for two people. Further into the room, a long black marble counter separates the living area from the small kitchen which is also painted in white all over. For a bachelor like Kris, the apartment is cleaner compared to Kyungsoo’s.

 

“Nice place,” Kyungsoo commented.

 

“Thanks. I try to keep it clean as possible.”

 

Kris made Kyungsoo sit on one of the high chairs by the marble counter as he struts about to cook the ramyun he promised. Kyungsoo looks at the man in awe as Kris expertly cooks his specialty, or so the man proclaims. It’s just ramyun anyway. But still, Kyungsoo sighs inwardly as he ogles at Kris.

 

When Kris is done, he places the pot on the counter and gave Kyungsoo a pair of chopsticks and spoon. “Dig in,” Kris encourages and Kyungsoo dives his spoon into the pot to fetch a spoonful of ramyun soup. He blows on it to cool it down and sips the liquid into his mouth. “How is it?” Kris’ anticipating gaze makes Kyungsoo want to , but true to Kris’ words the ramyun tasted like it really is the best in town.

 

“The best!” Kyungsoo exclaims and Kris grins in satisfaction.

 

They talk as they eat, jumping from one topic to another. It’s getting late but it seems like they don’t want to part from each other. Only when Kris phone rings that they are interrupted in the middle of laughing about Kris’ story when he was still an awkward nerd.

 

Kris stands up to answer his phone away from Kyungsoo, but he is not far enough because Kyungsoo can still hear what he is saying.

 

“Hi, babe, why are you still awake?” Kris greets and Kyungsoo thinks his heart got stabbed by an ice pick. “I’m talking to a friend that’s why I’m still awake,” Kris continues, making another stabbing sensation be felt in Kyungsoo’s bleeding heart. “He’s just a friend, I promise. You should go to sleep now. I love you.”

 

It isn’t only twice that he’s heart was stabbed but a thousand times. Yes, he is only a friend, so why is he hurt? Well, maybe because that is all he will ever be because Kris already has a “babe”.

 

When Kris comes back, Kyungsoo stands. “I think I should go.”

 

“Why?” Kris asks as if he doesn’t want Kyungsoo to go.

 

“It’s getting late,” Kyungsoo offers the most acceptable excuse.

 

“Oh, right. Sorry I kept you here so late.”

 

--

 

“Don’t forget your box of Eternity!” Luhan calls out grabbing Kyungsoo by the arm before he can get out. There’s really no escaping Luhan.

 

“I’m not giving him Eternity starting today,” Kyungsoo defeatedly confesses.

 

“Why?” Luhan probes.

 

“Because he has a ‘babe’ already and I don’t want to ruin what he has with that person.”

 

“Are you sure this ‘babe’ really is the ‘babe’?”

 

“I’m sure so stop bothering me. The Eternity doesn’t work on me, period.”

 

Must have been the tone of his voice that shut Luhan up once and for all because his friend didn’t press on the matter any further.

 

--

 

“Soo, can I talk to you?” Kris hesitantly asks before Kyungsoo can open his door.

 

Ever since that night, Kyungsoo has been going home really late to avoid having to run into Kris. But it seems that he can’t avoid him now that the man may have waited for him to arrive home.

 

“Yeah, sure,” Kyungsoo fakes a smile as he turns around to face Kris.

 

“Are you mad at me about something? If there’s anything that I said or did, please tell me and I’ll apologize for it.” Kris bows his head like a child caught stealing cookies from the jar.

 

“You didn’t do anything.” Kyungsoo offers no other explanation aside from that.

 

Kyungsoo hears Kris take a deep breath before looking at him straight in the eyes. “Look, Kyungsoo, I like you. I thought we’re okay. I thought that you like me too. But you have been avoiding me since that night we watched a movie and I don’t know what I did to make you do that.”

 

“Wait, you like me? But I like you. And I thought you are already with someone because that phone call…” Kyungsoo trails off unsure of how to put into words that he was jealous.

 

“Oh, that? That was my eight-year old niece. She knows about you and she won’t stop teasing me if I told her I was with you.”

 

“But you called her ‘babe’.”

 

“Yeah, I call her that. Wait. don’t tell me I almost lost my chance with you because of that?” Kyungsoo nods and Kris launches himself to the sweets creator to hug the adorable man. “For the record, I like you, Do Kyungsoo. Why else would I wait at my door just so I can see you before you go inside your apartment?”

 

“You’ve been waiting for me?” Kyungsoo leans away from Kris’ embrace to confirm what he just said. Kris nods and Kyungsoo dives back into Kris chest.

 

“And to tell you the truth, I’m lactose intolerant,” Kris confesses which makes Kyungsoo lean away again from the embrace.

 

“What?! So what did you do with the chocolates I gave you?”

 

“I took them to my niece who was too happy to accept them.”

 

“Well, at least you didn’t throw them away.”

 

“How could I? You gave them to me.” Kris pulls him into the embrace again. “I learned something interesting about those chocolates you always gave me.” Kyungsoo hums to urge Kris to continue. “I went to a shop with a very enthusiastic person manning the counter. He told me a story about the Eternity chocolate and how it makes people fall in love and stay in love.”

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes bulge at the revelation.

 

“You know, I don’t think the Eternity works though,” Kris continues.

 

“Why is that?”

 

“Because I liked you even before you started giving them to me. And I didn’t eat them anyway but I like you just the same.”

 

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.”

 

………………………….

Noona’s Notes:

I really feel sorry to the recipient of this story. I think that it’s not good enough.  L

This seems half-assed but I really did my best. I just lack talent, I guess.

I’m so sorry.

 

krisoo_noona