Luhan's Memory

EXO Ghost

“It’s official,” Manager Tak announced enthusiastically. “EXO Ghost is going to happen. We’ve already made the arrangements, and in a few weeks you’ll all be heading to Clearwater Mansion in England to start filming.”

 

The small conference room was immediately filled with whispers and murmurs as the 12 EXO members reacted to the news. Some of them seemed pleased, some of them seemed distressed, and some of them seemed completely un-phased by the information. Tao crossed his arms and pouted while Baekhyun and Chanyeol grinned and gave each other a high five. Sehun was focused on the hat that he was crafting out of a piece of paper, and Lay was just trying to stay awake.

 

“Uh, manager-nim,” Suho began hesitantly, “no offense, but…do you really think this will make for an interesting TV show? I mean, we’ll just be lounging around in an old mansion for two weeks. I know it’s supposed to be haunted, but do you really—“

 

“It’s notorious as one of the most haunted places in the world. There have been hundreds of ghost sightings there. Could there be a better opportunity to promote your new mini-album? The album’s concept is ghost, so it fits perfectly,” Manager Tak explained, handing a pamphlet to Kris, who was sitting closest to him.

 

“I agree with Joonmyun. Obviously there aren’t really any ghosts there, so how are we supposed to make this entertaining?” Kris questioned as he began to flip through the pamphlet nonchalantly.

 

“How do you know there aren’t any ghosts?” D.O interjected.

 

“Because ghosts don’t exist, pabo,” said Kai, playfully hitting the other boy’s shoulder.

 

“Ghosts do exist,” Luhan murmured from the far end of the table, his face flushed. Something about the Chinese boy’s tone caused everyone in the room to turn their attention towards him. He was staring down at the table, his brow furrowed as if he was recalling something. Silence fell upon the meeting room as everyone waited for Luhan to continue.

 

“In the countryside near Beijing, there’s this old village called Lingshui. It’s near the mountains. When I was a kid, my family would go there every summer just to get out of the city for awhile. My dad’s friend owned a house there, but barely ever used it, and that’s where we’d stay on our visits. I always felt strange in that house. Even just standing outside it. I just felt…bad. I couldn’t explain why. One night, I woke up and...” Luhan paused and trembled, “…there was a man standing at the foot of my bed. H-his face was so…full of rage. He looked furious, like he wanted to kill me. I was so scared that I couldn’t move. I couldn’t scream. I could only lay there and stare at him. Then, just as he was reaching out to grab me, he vanished. As soon as I built up the courage, I ran out of the house and sat in the garden until the sun came up. When I told my parents about it, they tried to convince me that it was a dream, but I knew I wasn’t dreaming. I never went back to Lingshui. To this day, I can’t get that face out my head. That terrible face…”

 

The room remained silent as the group stared at Luhan with wide eyes and gaping mouths.

 

“That was only Michael Jackson,” Baekhyun said after a moment, causing the room to erupt with laughter.

 

“Stop it, hyung. Lu’s trying to open up about something serious and you’re making fun of him,” Tao scolded.

 

“Relax, Panda. I’m just trying to lighten the mood. Besides, I seriously doubt it was a ghost. Probably some bum who broke in and tried to rob the place.”

 

“Don’t say that, hyung. Lu-ge knows what he saw,” Tao contended, “and I believe him, because I’ve had an encounter, too.”

 

“Are you talking about the time you came running out of the shower because you thought you saw a ghost in the towel cabinet?” Baekhyun asked with a smirk.

 

“I didn’t think I saw it, I did see it!” the younger boy exclaimed.

 

“Are you sure you didn’t just make it up to lure Wufan into the shower with you?” Baekhyun asked, wiggling his eyebrows provocatively. Tao scowled and turned his head away sharply. Kris chuckled under his breath.

 

“They say that some people are more sensitive to that kind of stuff than others. Like, they’re more in tune with the spirit world or something,” D.O chimed in.

 

“Or maybe those people just have overactive imaginations…” Kai muttered, a bored expression on his face as he rested his head on his palm.

 

“Okay, raise your hand if you believe in ghosts,” said Chanyeol, standing up to take count. Luhan, Xiumin, Tao, D.O, and Chen raised their hands. “Hmm, interesting,” he mumbled as he took his seat again.

 

“Wait, Yixing was asleep,” said D.O, pointing to the sleeping boy next to him. The Chinese boy’s forehead was resting on the table, and he was snoring softly. D.O shook his arm, causing the latter to stir and looked up with squinting eyes.

 

“Hmm? Is the meeting over?” Lay asked groggily.

 

“Do you believe in ghosts?” Chanyeol asked curtly.

 

“Uh…sure,” he replied in a yawn.

 

“That’s six. So, half the group believes in ghosts and the other half doesn’t.”

 

“I’m undecided,” added Sehun, who was now wearing his paper hat.

 

“Then you count as a non-believer,” Chanyeol stated before Manager Tak stood up and lifted a hand to hush the boys.

 

“Alright, listen. We need to focus. Whether or not the mansion is actually haunted is beside the point. This reality show is just another opportunity to expand your fan base. People will definitely tune in to watch 12 good-looking idols bunk out in a creepy mansion. Even if nothing interesting happens, we’ll be able to edit it to seem scary and suspenseful. The fact that it’s set in England will make it more appealing to western fans, too. If everything goes according to plan, the show should premier a week after the Ghost album is released. We’ll incorporate your music into the show to encourage people to buy it.”

 

The meeting rolled on and the boys were informed of all the details regarding their upcoming reality show, as well as other plans to promote their mini-album Ghost. They discussed clothing concepts, choreography, and ways to foster their new “ghostly” image. When the meeting finally concluded about an hour later, they shuffled out of the room one by one and then split up to pursue separate activities.

 

“I’m going out for bulgogi. Who’s coming with me?” Kris asked as he walked toward the exit.

 

“I’m coming, gege!” shouted Tao as he rushed up to link arms with the taller man.

 

“I’m in. I haven’t eaten all day,” said Lay, rubbing his stomach.

 

“Wait for me! I can’t find my wallet!” shouted Chen from down the hall. He was searching frantically around the coat area.

 

“Maybe a ghost took it,” Baekhyun joked, causing Chanyeol to snicker.

 

“Sehun-ah, are you coming?” Kris asked when he spotted the maknae fiddling with his iPhone in a secluded corner. Sehun looked up from his phone and shook his head.

 

“I’m going out with Luhan-hyung for bubble tea,” he said.

 

“Oh, that’s right. It’s Friday. That means tonight is date night for our little love birds,” Chanyeol teased.

 

“We’ll be sure to stay out extra late just in case you and Lulu wanna have a little fun in the dorm later,” Baekhyun added snidely, “There are condoms in my bottom drawer, and I’m sure you can find some lube in Minseok’s room. Be safe!” Sehun rolled his eyes and returned his attention to his phone.

 

Luhan was still in the meeting room, speaking to Manager Tak. The rest of the boys made their way out of the building while Sehun waited patiently, eyes glued to his phone. After he’d browsed Tumblr and played a few rounds of Fruit Ninja, he looked up to see Luhan coming out of the meeting room. The older boy approached him, looking somewhat distraught.

 

“You alright, hyung?” asked Sehun as he handed Luhan his coat.

 

“Yeah…I’m fine. I just have a bad feeling about Clearwater Mansion,” Luhan said quietly as the two walked toward the exit.

 

“This whole ghost thing really freaks you out, doesn’t it?” Sehun asked, pushing the door open and holding it for his elder.

 

“Earlier, in the meeting, I wasn’t lying about what I saw. It’s haunted me for years,” said Luhan. The two of them were greeted by a group of squealing fans, mostly young girls, as they left the SM building. They both bowed politely to the thrilled fans and made their way past them, ignoring their pleas for photos and autographs. The shop where they usually bought bubble tea was just a short distance away. Guards held the girls back from following them, and their screams faded as the boys walked on. I love you Luhan! Sehun-ah, I wanna have your baby!

 

“I can’t deal with another experience like that,” the elder continued, “when you see something like that, it changes everything you think you know about the world. There are things out there that can’t be explained. Some things are completely out of our control.”

 

“Hyung, I’m not saying that you didn’t see something, but what if it was just a burglar who broke into the house?” Sehun asked.

 

“I saw him disappear right in front of me. I watched him vanish into thin air,” Luhan said.

 

“And you’re sure your mind wasn’t playing tricks on you? Maybe the guy just ran away so fast that it seemed like he disappeared. You were little when it happened, right?”

 

“Listen, I know what I saw. I remember it like it was yesterday. I don’t care if no one believes me.”

 

“Tao-hyung said he believed you.”

 

“Tao believes anything. He’s the most gullible person on the planet.”

 

“Yeah, that’s true…but, anyway, I never said that I didn’t believe you. I just think there might be a logical explanation for it. I can’t say for sure that ghosts don’t exist, but I don’t think I’ll believe in them unless I see one for myself,” Sehun said as the two of them approached their destination.

 

The boys arrived at the quaint little shop and Sehun held the door for Luhan. They walked up to the counter and ordered two bubble teas, one chocolate and one taro, and then made their way to the booth in the farthest corner of the dining area. They scooted into the padded seats, sitting opposite each other.

 

“You shouldn’t worry about the mansion, hyung. I doubt it’s really haunted. I heard that tourists go there every weekend for ghost hunts, and there’s a Halloween party hosted there every year. If it was dangerous, why would they leave it open to the public? And even if it does turn out to be haunted, it’s not like you’ll be there by yourself. All twelve of us will be there, plus our managers and the whole film crew. In all, a couple dozen people will be nearby the whole time,” Sehun assured the other boy, who was staring down at the table and tracing invisible circles with his pointer finger.

 

“I know there’s probably nothing to worry about. I just have an eerie feeling about it. I guess it’s because of what I saw when I was little…now you know why I don’t like to watch ghost movies with you guys. The last time I tried to, I had nightmares for weeks,” said Luhan.

 

“I remember. You climbed into my bed a few times…” Sehun said with a grin, reaching out to touch the Chinese boy’s soft hand, “…you know, you can sleep with me anytime you want. You wouldn’t have to feel scared and I wouldn’t have to feel lonely. A win-win situation, right?”

 

“Yeah, I guess so,” Luhan said softly, a blush rising in his cheeks as he allowed the younger boy to play with his fingers.

 

After a moment, the waitress arrived with their bubble tea. They took the drinks and thanked her before she walked away to serve someone else. The two of them then proceeded to drink and talk, their conversation moving far away from ghosts. Soon, all traces of fear and discomfort were gone from Luhan’s face, and he was smiling and laughing along with his dongsaeng.

 

“I’ll never get tired of this,” Sehun said after slurping up what remained of his chocolate bubble tea.

 

“Bubble tea?” asked the elder as he fiddled with his straw. Sehun chucked and shook his head.

 

“Spending time with you, hyung,” he said sweetly, “It’s not very often that we get to be alone. I can’t think of anyone I’d rather hang out with.”

 

“What about Miranda Kerr? Isn’t she your ideal type?” Luhan asked playfully, raising his eyebrow.

 

“What makes you think that?” Sehun laughed, starting a game of footsie with Luhan beneath the table.

 

“That’s what you said in our radio interview the other day.”

 

“You know my answer changes every time they ask me. I just said the name of the first girl that came to mind.”

 

“And the first person that came to your mind just happened to be the gorgeous supermodel Miranda Kerr…who you’ve mentioned several times in the past…and who just happens to follow you on Instagram…but no, of course she’s not your ideal type.”

 

“No, she’s really not,” Sehun insisted. “She’s just a handy name to throw out in case the topic comes up, so they’ll get off my back about it. And by the way, I didn’t say she was the first person that came to mind. I said she was the first girl that came to mind.”

 

“So then, Mr. Oh…who’s really your ideal type?”

 

“Well…” Sehun began with a sly grin, “I’d like someone who’s older than me. People my age tend to be immature. I think four years older would be perfect.”

 

“Four years, huh?” Luhan asked with a shy smile, staring down at the table. Sehun nodded and continued.

 

“…Someone a bit shorter than me. With light skin and pretty eyes. A nice nose, too. Like yours.” Luhan giggled and bit his lip, bringing his hand up to cover his nose bashfully.

 

“…Someone who’s cute and bubbly, who I could have fun with anytime. Even if we just went out for bubble tea or something.” Sehun reached over to grasp the older boy’s hand, intertwining their fingers. Luhan gazed up at him through lowered lashes.

 

Just as Sehun opened his mouth to continue, Luhan’s phone began to ring in his pants pocket. The younger boy sighed and reluctantly released his hyung’s hand, allowing him to reach into his pocket and retrieve his phone. Luhan looked at the screen which read “Call from Zhang Yixing,” then pressed “answer” and held it up to his ear.

 

“Lu-ge, are you still out with Sehun?” came Lay’s voice from the other line.

 

“Yeah. Why?” asked Luhan, switching to Chinese.

 

“Just wondering…I bought the new Star Wars movie and thought you might like to watch it with me.”

 

“Yeah, I’ve been waiting for it to come out on DVD. I think we were just about to head home.”

 

“Okay, see you in a bit.”

 

“Bye,” Luhan said before ending the call. He looked up to see a disappointed look on Sehun’s face.

 

“Was that Yixing?” the younger boy asked.

 

“Yeah, he just wanted to know when we were coming home,” Luhan said, glancing down at his watch, “We’ve been here for about two hours. I suppose we should head back now.”

 

“Wouldn’t want to keep your precious Xing-Xing waiting, would you?” asked Sehun, his voice laced with frustration. Luhan furrowed his brow.

 

“What’s up with you, anyway? It seems to piss you off every time I mention Yixing.”

 

“I’m not pissed, I just find it kind of annoying how attached he is to you. He follows you around like a lost puppy and calls you whenever you’re out.”

 

“He’s my best friend.”

 

“That’s fine, but you don’t have to go running every time he calls,” Sehun said crossly.

 

“I don’t go running.”

 

“Sometimes it just seems like maybe you like him or something…I mean, more than a friend,” Sehun mumbled, his arms crossed as he started at the floral pattern on the wall. Luhan’s expression softened and he chuckled softly.

 

“Pabo…Yixing’s like a brother to me,” Luhan assured the younger boy.

 

“Good. I was afraid I’d have to kill him and dump his body in the Han River,” Sehun joked.

 

“Well I’m glad it didn’t have to come to that. Now, let’s get back to the dorm. We can order some jjajangmyeon.”

 

Sehun nodded, and the two stood and made their way to the shop’s exit, tossing their empty cups into the garbage on the way out.