01;

Ambivalence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“You will be alright, Jongin.”

“Yes, Umma. Actually this school looks pretty decent than my old school.”

“Oh really, now that’s great! I know you will be just fine there. Please Jongin, don’t get into any trouble. At least, not in your first day of school.”

“Don’t worry Umma, I’ll be good.”

“Take care son. Call me after you got home later.”

“Okay, I will.”

 

“Welcome to Hanyoung High School, Kim Jongin.” Jongin mumbled to himself as he slipped his phone in his pocket. The journey into the state of Hanyoung's High finally led him to the opening bell. The feeling of anxiety was overwhelming as he entered high school assembly room that first day.

Jongin has won in essay writing scholarship contest against the other student in his old school, the honor of coming to Seoul and got offered studying in one of the most prestigious school, with all his education fees paid. In accepting the scholarship, Jongin sentenced himself to living in a completely new apartment on his own as his house is six hours away from the big city. He was fully understood that the scholarship was an opportunity and he was lucky to have received but he also knew he would regret leaving his friends behind. The amount of travel he would have to bear and the sacrifices he make in starting his new life as a freshmen all over again.

For the first day, Jongin was fully aware with his new environment. The upper classmen seemed confident, even arrogant. He was intimidated. Outwardly he didn’t show his feelings nor didn’t he discuss his fear and loss with his parents. He did not like anyone, and he wasn't that comfortable with the other kids except Park Chanyeol, the tall and charming band leader. Jongin felt fortunate enough to meet such a good friend among this new group of people who were often hostile towards newcomers.

The trouble alluded to above had begun on his second week in his new school. Jongin, as a newcomer might have gathered a little bit information about his new school from Chanyeol. He was quite prepared for anything fate might have up his sleeves for him and he entered his classes without problems. On the first week, nothing happened. Teachers were asking his name and introduced him in class---which he had understood from books of life what he have to do as a new boy. He enjoyed his first week in Hannyoung high.

On the second week, occurred an episode.

As Jongin was busy reading his textbook, once in a while scanning the board for extra notes, the loud voice startled him. “Lee Taemin. What time is it now?” 

He stopped writing and held his head up for a look, eyes focusing on the teacher. Nevertheless, he got sidetrack by the boy standing beside her. Jongin kept staring at him. He never got interested in boys, it was plain stupid. But, Jongin could definitely make an exception for this one.

“11.30 a.m.”

“I believe classes start at 8.00 a.m.” Mrs. Byun shot the boy with pointed look. Jongin was alarmed by the terror in her voice. “You’re absent for few days as well, didn’t you?”

Jongin glance to observe Taemin's reaction and noticed had an unusual expression plastered on his face as if he was holding back his amusement. And Jongin thought, the smaller boy was fearless.

“I can’t make it to school because I had something to do--- It’s rather urgent. I’m sorry songsaengnim. It won’t happen again next time.”

“I doubt if your father pays us so that you can cut classes whenever you wish. Next time you think something urgent is liable to crop out, get a note from one of your parents,” Mrs. Byun warned. “Now, please head back to your place.”

“Yes, songsaengnim.” Taemin nods lazily and casually took his seat.

“Alright class, we will have quiz at the end of the hour over your assign reading, this is what you're going to be working on until lunchtime." She held up a piece of paper. The whole class groaned loudly when they saw the paper because nobody in the class likes Korean History. It is probably their worst subject.

"We're going to do the test after this because I want to cover some things first in your book. So everyone open your text book to page 123.”

Jongin’s mind wandered ---- Who was this new student in his History class or possibly in his life?

His thought was interrupted as he heard a pencil hit the floor. He looked down to see it had rolled under his table. Jongin reached down and picked it up. When he returned to an upright position he glanced back at Taemin and to his astonishment, the boy already fall into a deep sleep with one hand supporting his head.

Wow. It only just minute ago he was talking to her, and now he's already sleeping?

He thought maybe Taemin was that kind of student who likes to sleep and skip lessons, makes poor grades, have wild parties on the weekend and stay outside to smoke cigarette between classes as to what Chanyeol told him about Taemin earlier this morning. It was weird to him, but there was a place on the east side of the high school called “smoker’s alley” It wasn’t alley at all. It was just a place where the kids released their needs. He had heard plenty rumors about how Taemin likes experimenting with different kind of drugs too, mainly . But how would he believe such stories if he hadn't seen him doing all kind of nasty things? Perhaps, he wasn't quick to judge. Or perhaps, he was just dumb enough for trusting him.

Once Jongin passed the boy in the hallway right after Taemin had been out to smoke and he smelled heavily of whatever cigarette he had been puffing. Jongin remembered thinking it was such a shame, especially because Taemin is indeed pretty. He had such nice body with tiny frame and narrow hips. His hair was a jet-black that matched his baby face so well. His skin looked shining even though it was raining and dark outside. Jongin admitted, Lee Taemin really outshine others with his beautiful inhumanly looks.

 

The next day of school, Jongin was in his first period Korean Language class. 30 minutes and yet, Lee Taemin still didn’t come.

“Where’s Lee Taemin again?” Mr Gura walk straight to the door while looking around, he asked no one in particular. The class was drop dead silence, blocking out all the gossip and noises. “If he’s not coming, I’m gonna lock this door."

Jongin raised his hand. “Songsaengnim!”

“Yes, Jongin.”

Now that he's getting all the attention, Jongin brace himself and confessed. “I just saw him this morning. Maybe you should check out the alley near science lab.”

For a second, Mr Gura considers thinking much better solution. “Let’s take five minutes break, guys. I’ll be right back.” He instructed and goes to investigate.

A perfect hit. Right in the bullseye! It was the hardest target to hit as it was clearly most coveted prize Jongin have ever guessed. Taemin was apparently planning on skipping classes and hiding out in the alley. It was just one of his bad days that he got caught off-handedly. The news about Taemin was warned by the discipline board that he would be expelled came to Jongin ears. He wasn’t sure if he was happy enough of being the one revealing Taemin secret hide out place. Here was a situation he was pretty sure he had never signed up for.

“I know you’re the one who report me to Gura songsaengnim!” Scowling like mad, Taemin obviously trying to pick a fight.

Jongin searched for something nice to say or do that might bridge the growing strain between them. “Running away from truth won’t change anything. What you’re doing is wrong. Songsaengnim was waiting for you. If you have sense, you shouldn't left the class just like that. Your habit is bad one and it does you more harm than good.”

“Oh wow, you’re new and you barely know me yet you think I’m wrong? How I live my life is none of your ing business!” Taemin snapped angrily, lifted his eyes and looked at him straight in the eyes.

“I suppose you’re right, I’m new. But whether I’m reporting you or not, it won’t make any difference,” Jongin replied calmly. “They’ll catch up to you sooner or later. Somebody is going to back-shoot you likely as not. Besides, I wouldn’t call to as what you’re doing is business.”

“Be as it may. You did interfere. I don’t like people interfere with my life. It’s better for you to sort out how you will survive for the next one year in this school. I won’t make it easy for you, Kim Jongin.” Quite frankly, the way Taemin said his name when he had made the statement was enough to show Jongin that the boy meant every word. The warning buzzed in his head and squeezed his heart.

“Lee Taemin is dangerous. Don't mess up with him or else, it will be terrible.” Chanyeol once said, utterly impressed he had a gut to say. Yes, maybe he got a point but why would he be afraid of someone as delicate as Taemin?

"I don't think so. He's just a creep."

When Jongin so convinced that everything is going well and far realizing that some things didn't work out as he planned it to be. Ever since then, he was set as a target for bullying just because everyone loves Taemin, adore Taemin. Jongin thought of confronting him but when Taemin had admitted his crime, he never considered the pranks to be particularly serious, “I’m talking about having a laugh and getting up to a bit of mischief…” The ill-humor irritated him almost to desperation.

“Last time, Taemin oppa tried to set fire to his books with a cigarette lighter.” The girl laughs louder, hearing absurdity, as if he had committed a serious crime.

The exclusion that he faced is absolutely frustrating, everybody in the school continually meddled in his affairs and spreading bad things about him. Everything Jongin says was ignored or discounted. His classmates always borrow his assignment and either not returning it back or don’t bother to say thanks. He is the first kid to be picked for group activities, just because he was that good student who listens well. The fact that Chanyeol is in the different class makes the matter even worse. Jongin felt relying no one is the better choice as he learned, he had taken the risk; he know he must bear the consequences alone.

“How’s your class?” Chanyeol always asked in concerned and Jongin always ended up grumbling. “Great. I really really love this school…”

 

The second bell rang indicated it was rest time, the first thing Jongin put through was eyes were cast upon him, the students were looking at him with an odd expression that made him feel miserable. Where would he go? Jongin knew the world could be a lonely and frightening place. Just seeing the sight of people laughing at him and all he can only do is dumbly staring back, it gave him tingly sensation that was unpleasant.

 “Jongin! The !” Baekhyun suddenly busted out laughing.

"What is that around your , something yellow." Tao said scornfully. "Is it....a poop?" Jongin heard a chorus of gasps and giggles erupted, rather predictably.

"He peed in his little pants. HA! Yeah! Yeah! Look guys!" Sehun stopped and pointed, then doubled over in manic hysteria "You peed in your pants, nerdy! Why? Does teacher giving you a hard time? You poor Nerdy little Birdy." he howled.

Jongin was desperately trying not to fall from this, but Sehun sounded so sincere he couldn't stop himself from shyly checking his pants.....

"You peed yourself!!!" Tao repeated.

And, surely there on his was a big wet stain. As if it was not humiliating enough, he then had to swallow his final drop of pride as the boys shouted loudly "Eww, that's nasty yo!"

“Shut the hell up!” Jongin cried out, he should certainly die out of humiliation.

Wearily, he ran to the toilet and slamming the door shut before pull out his pants to do the double check....amazingly the damage was quite severe! Was this pattern stick to his pants for the entire time? Aside from the fact that his hands trying really hard to wash away the sticky dirt, it was actually as bad a situation as it could be.

"Urgh...stupid! how could you not realize this!" Jongin shuddered, remembering. Although he fervently hoping they will forget and let go, being such jackass, Jongin knew they will never stop the teasing.

"Really, Jongin, you better not be so careless ---- you're limp as a doll. Everybody going to make fun of you, you like that attention huh?" He finally chastised himself.  The last remaining time he spends had been enough to calm his nerves. Unable to wash it completely, Jongin gave up and unlocked the door. Screw the dirt, he will dig out his tracksuit from his locker and just get change afterwards.

Jongin opened the door slowly, peeking his head out, looking for the group that he thought was there. He saw no one, and he stepped out of the toilet then, walked around quietly to the back of the cubicle. Jongin sighed in relieved. Luckily, there was nobody in sight.

Seconds later, heavy footsteps approached. Jongin tensed up again. Upon seeing the face, it makes Jongin wants to cry in frustration.

"Whoa, look who’s here?" Taemin said, faking surprise.

God forbid. Taemin was the last person he expected to see at this moment. All he wanted to do right now is shoving the other boy outside until this whole mess was over, he did not want to see him.

"It's nice to see you too." Jongin retorted as his confidence helped along by another swig. Lee Taemin is popular, he's tricky, but I got something better on my side. Funny, the terrible twist caught you in the end.

"Oh, you look miserable. Did something happen when I was not around?" Judging by the way he talked, Taemin was trying hard not to laugh.

Jongin's face went dark and his mind blank; he had been reluctant up until this point. Had been telling himself Taemin is harmless. Harmless??? Jongin scoffed. Taemin had predator written all over him....and he had been most innocent prey by thinking it was not a trap. Jongin couldn't avoid the possibility that this cocky brat could be lying through his teeth. He was pretty sure of it."You find me real fast. Don't pretend that you don't know what exactly happened to me. I have to wade all terrible and it's always because of you. That's always been your job. Don't you get sick of it?"

"Well yeah, sometimes…" Taemin profusely said with a smirk, like they hadn't been tearing into each other five seconds earlier. He went on cleaning his dirty hands that stained with yellow liquid with the last remaining soap “But honestly, I think yellow looks bad on you. Maybe I should try different color next time. How about... red?”

"What's in the devil are you up to, Lee Taemin?" He shot Taemin a look close to dislike as Taemin patted his back lightly.

"Why... just being friendly, Jongin. Just being friendly. Nothing much!"

Jongin was flabbergasted. How Taemin could look so innocent yet so wicked? Jongin’s eyes flashed blue fire as Taemin walked away.

God, I hate him!

He had never felt as much as hatred towards someone. Series of unfortunate events happening, by less than 6 months he was in school. Kim Jongin, the one wearing unflattering big black spectacles covered half of his face.  "Lee Taemin's slave." Hell yeah, that’s what they calls him. Jongin just don’t give a damn. However, the bullying continues as frequent and worsens each day. Ironically, he knew Lee Taemin was the cause of his pain and misery. 

 

Today, marked his second year at Hanyoung High School.

Jongin swore, by the name of god. He won’t let Taemin ruined his time. His reckless assumption was totally false because Lee Taemin just couldn’t stop.

At the time, Jongin jolted down the notes in his book while watching teacher writing up their next assignment on the blackboard when he heard something "Psst...psst..." It sounded like a bug hissing......

He saw nothing particularly strange; everyone was concentrating in the lesson. After a few minute, he heard it again. It sounded like someone was calling out his name in a loud whisper. "Psst... Nini...p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter