Tiramisu

Perfect Imperfection

Sanghyuk sighs and puffs another round of air as he recalls every bad thing he had done before Jung Taekwoon, a genius who also turns to be a former athlete and now the official boyfriend of Cha Hakyeon, his boss, best friend who, at some point, became his another mother. He's happy and all for the two since he has another person to either bribe or ask (nicely) either an extra fund for his slowly growing travelling fund or an action figure or that limited edition Naruto porcelain figurine. Which he got for certainly not bribing a certain executive who cross dressed and danced to Wonder Girls back in college. Despite all this and some extra foods here and there, Sanghyuk is to say, depress.

      He had known his mommy Cha for as long as he can remember so he knows how the latter is affectionate even in public places. It has become his duty to either not get the new couple arrested for public disgrace or get banned from a certain place because, damn, his daddy Jung is so whip he will walk on the surface of the sun for Hakyeon. It's problematic and inappropriate and sometimes, he feels a little lonely and jealous. Not ill jealousy of course, it's just sometimes, Sanghyuk is wondering if there will be someone out there who can complement his personality like how his "mommy and daddy" does.

 

      Sunday afternoon and here he is, doing nothing but sit in a cafè with a slice of tiramisu and a venti size salted caramel smoothie with extra dash of cinnamon. In a cafe he used to go to during his college days. Sitting alone in this crowded cafe makes him more feel lonelier. He fires up his netbook and waiting for it when someone tap him on his shoulder. Sanghyuk turns and saw someone holding a tray containing what he assumes is the person's orders.

      "Uhm. I'm sorry to bother you, but may I please share the table with you?" The stranger asked then bite his lower lip. Sanghyuk had a glimpse of the man's dimples.

      "Sure." Sanghyuk smiles. "I know how this place gets crowded around this time." He continues.

      The latter smiles at him and bow. "Thank you."

 

      Ten minutes in sharing and only now when he takes a break from typing furiously Sanghyuk notices that the table is now filled with stacks of papers. The stranger across him is sporting a somewhat problem-filled expression. He takes a bite of his long forgotten Tiramisu and the stranger looks at him with a shippish smile and mumbles an apology. Sanghyuk chuckles and leans forward.

      "May I ask what these are?" Asks Sanghyuk.

      "Bunch of scripts!" The stranger answers, slouching with a pout on his lips. "I asked for one but my friends gave me tons. Now I can't decide."

      "Scripts?" Sanghyuk asks, raising an eyebrow. Sure the stranger is good looking but he seems unfamiliar.

      The other nods and sports another smile, making his dimples appear again. "Yeah!" Now he suddenly bounced on his chair like a child who just got a compliment. "I just finished my masters degree in performing arts in New York and I came back to establish a career here in my homeland!" He singsongs emphasizing Homeland.

      Sanghyuk nods and says, "I see. I can help if you want." and then continues after eyeing the stacks of paper. "You know, to maybe play the other character in the scene."

     "You would do that?"

      "Yeah. Sure. I may not look like it, but I actually majored in Literature." Sanghyuk answers with full of confidence.

      "Yey! Oh, thank you! I'm Hongbin, by the way. Lee Hongbin!" The other offers a hand.

      Sanghyuk takes the hand gleefully. "Han Sanghyuk. Pleasure to meet you."

 

      After trying about thirty scenes Hongbin finally decided to go for the role of Patrick. A student who will portray Petrucio on the adaptation of one of Shakespeare's works: The Taming of the Shrew.

      "So, the audition will be on Tuesday next week at Chungwon Theater at exact three in the  afternoon." Sanghyuk reads the flyer that comes with the script.

      "Yeah. Short time." Hongbin pouts then smiles. "But I will prepare and do my best! It's not like I have other things to do anyways." Suddenly, he bites his lower lip and glance at Sanghyuk hesitantly, "Can you, uhm, accompanying me? On the audition I mean," He pause for a while. "If that is of course, fine with you."

      Sanghyuk thinks for a while, trying to recall Hakyeon's schedule if he will be needed and smiles when he remembered none. "As of now I am free. I'm not promising anything because of my job, but I will do my best to attend."

      "That's enough for me." Hongbin's dimples deepened as he smile broader. "Considering you know, we just met. I'm glad I shared table with you, Sanghyuk."

      "I'm glad you did, Hongbin." Sanghyuk answers with equal enthusiasm.

      After another thirty minutes or so of chatting, their conversation must come to an end when a friend of Hongbin calls him to do grocery shopping. They exchanged numbers and when Hongbin finally bid farewell, Sanghyuk's smile never left his face. It stays there while he is remeniscing how he was just asking himself of how deserved such problematic life to how things just turned 180° completely.

      Once again, Sanghyuk turns his netbook on that he turned off some time while they were busy on their role playing and starts writing again. Finding a new path to take in the monotonous forest he'd been stuck for a long time.

 

 

      "Someone is blooming today." Hakyeon comments after Sanghyuk hands him his Monday schedule.

      Sanghyuk raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?" He fakes a sad look. "I always smile at you, mommy."

      Hakyeon laughs whole heartedlay and then says, "I know that. But you look like the heavens had come down on you this morning." He taps his chin with his index finger, still eyeing the younger. "Did you get laid?"

      "My son got what?" They heard another voice from the door and Sanghyuk took a deep breath. This is not the morning he's expecting.

      "Hi, dad!" Sanghyuk greets with a smile.

      "Honey!" Hakyeons stands up from his chair to go on Taekwoon's side. "Our son is a big boy now!" He continues hyper as usual. "Look at him glow. I bet he got laid during some time in the weekend."

       Taekwoon chuckles and pats Sanghyuk's shoulder. "Congratulations, Hyukkie." He said flatly.

       The youngest in the room groans and looks at Taekwoon desperately. "Stop encouraging him. Please"

      "Well, did you or did you not?"

      "No. For heaven's sake no, I did not." Sanghyuk looks at Hakyeon. "Like I wouldn't tell you about it."

      Hakyeon hums and smiles. "That is true." He nods to himself. "Oh! By the way, you'll accompany me tomorrow, right?"

      "Where?" Sanghyuk asks not remembering any plans with him.

      "I will judge tomorrow on a audition for a play. You promised." The older answers with a pout.

      "About that." Sanghyuk scratch the back of his neck. "I kind of have another plan around that time." He bites his lip and look at Taekwoon for help.

      "I can come with you," Tawkwoon offers the elder. "Where will that be?"

      "But I want Hyukkie to come." Hakyeon pouts at his boyfriend then face the younger again. "The experience can help you, y'know." He smiles again. "Besides, I doubt I can work properly with your dad with me. He'll just seduce me and you know that."

            Sanghyuk chuckles and shrugs as Hakyeon continue pouting. He had promised Hongbin and he intends to keep it. For you know, for the sake of first impression. Yeah, that's it. "Sorry, mom. Next time, I promise." He said then pat the older's cheek before leaving the office.

 

 

            "Hey!" Sanghyuk calls and rests his hands on his knees as he pants. "Sorry for being late. Did you wait for long?"

            Hongbin smiles and those dimples are showcased again, he shook his head and answer, "No. I arrived about five minutes ago." He pats the other's shoulder. "Let's go inside?"

            Sanghyuk nods as his breathing even out. They journey to the backstage and Hongbin waits agonizingly for he is the fifth to go on stage to audition. By the time that he is about to go on stage Sanghyuk accompanied him on the sides and watch from there. Seeing a friend audition is refreshing to him since it has been a long time. The last time he had to accompany one is when Hakyeon wanted to be a part of the broadway production of Timeless. He watch intently and see where all the confidence is coming from. Hongbin is a good actor. How they practiced is not even a glimpse of it now that he is seeing what the other really has to offer. A short interview followed and after that he smiles when he noticed Hongbin walking towards his direction.

            Another six people to audition and now the two wait in agony. Hongbin is gnawing at his lower lip when something cold touched his left cheek and it made him flinch. When he angled himself to see, there stood Sanghyuk offering him a cup of frozen yoghurt. He smiles and takes the cup gleefully.

            "You should enjoy that. Once you pass the audition you may not have the chance to eat as much." Sanghyuk said chuckling.

            "If I get in. Thank you, for your support, especially this." Hongbin wiggles the now half empty cup in front of the other. "You seem to know about this stuffs more than a literature major should. Are you sure you're not a stage actor?" Hongbin narrows his eyes playfully at the other.

            "Maybe I am, maybe I'm not." Sanghyuk teasingly smiles. Hongbin is about to retort back when someone called everyone back to the stage for the result.

 

 

            "I got in! I really did!" Hongbin s his right fist up to yet again celebrate his success for the nth time after receiving the paper of the rehearsal schedule. He stops, smile never leaving his face and face the also smiling Sanghyuk. "Let's go out and eat chicken! My treat!" He said a little too hyperactive and jumps a little when he received a nod from the latter. Hongbin takes his hand and lead them both out to the restaurant he passed by two hours ago on his way to the theater.

            The table is full of food that one might think six people would eat instead of just two. The chatter of the two never ending. Facts about each other finally coming out. Like the reality of Sanghyuk being involved in a stage production either as an actor or one of the writer here and there. Then there's this story of how Hongbin developed the passion in acting.

            "I wanna go to the beach." Hongbin suddenly says while they're resting and letting all the food they ate settle. "Let's go!" He smiles and lean forward, resting his arms on the table.

            "Now?" Sanghyuk asks raising an eyebrow. What an interesting man Hongbin is so far.

            The latter nods and looks at Sanghyuk in the eyes. For a moment everything seems to vanish. Like everything else around them just got into an endless void. For a few moments nobody dare to move, nobody dare to look away, nobody even dare to breath. "Would you come with me?" Hongbin finally breaks the silence but eyes still bound on the other's gaze.

            "That," Sanghyuks starts finally taking a breath and then smiles. "Is a wonderful, crazy idea." He continues standing up then doing a courtesy bow and offers his hand to Hongbin that the other gladly takes.

            Through out the bus ride to the nearest beach, their hands never left the hold on each other. At some point Hongbin fell asleep, head resting on Sanghyuk's shoulder. The latter smiles and moves his other free hand slowly, until it reachend Hongbin's cheek, his hand continues its journey to the silky and slightly curly hair of Hongbin. Said sleeping man nuzzles closer to him from the comfort of the touch. This made Sanghyuk's smile to broaden. This is a dangerous game, whatever this is. It has been a long time that he feels like a high school boy falling in love for the first time. If getting back to square one is something to do then he's willing to do just that. A voice speaks announcing their arrival at the station, Sanghyuk watch as his company slowly stirs awake. Hongbin looks at him with still sleepy eyes but with a smile. He rests his head back on Sanghyuk's shoulder and squeez his hand a bit. Sanghyuk's chuckle at this and he has decided. Yes, he is definitely falling in love.

------------------------

This is something I wrote during my rehearsal breaks. Unedited so sorry for the mistakes. Also, I'm going to the celebration of Ravi's birthday hosted by Vixx Philippines. So, Filipino Starlights we might see each other there. We might. I'all treat you ice cream if you do OuO

'Til next time my loves.