[1/1]

As it Fades

“What’s it like?”  Junhong could feel himself weighted down, body curled in on itself, the most comfortable position they had found.  His eyes were open, though to look at him you wouldn’t know it.

“Like falling asleep.”  Yongguk was crouched by the bed, chin resting on his arms that were gently rested on the mattress.

“That’s so cliché, come on tell me the truth.” Junhong’s look was disbelieving, causing the other to smile a wide gummy smile with a soft snort and a shake of his head. “Does it hurt?”

Yongguk thought for a moment before sighing softly. “Sometimes, a little. It’s kind of like getting a shot I guess. There’s that initial pinch?” He hadn’t really thought about it much, since everyone was so different. “But really, it’s a lot like falling asleep. “  He continued though the younger boy scoffed at his statement. 

“I thought they only said that to make you feel better.”

“Doesn’t it though?  Do you ever remember falling asleep? Or do you just know that you’ve done it when you wake up?”

“I guess that’s true.” Junhong nodded slowly, eyes closing and taking longer and longer between opening.  “What’s going to happen to me?” He asked, his voice quiet but filled with wonder.

“What do you mean?”  Yongguk shifted in his spot, leaning closer to the younger boy, hovering his hand close to his arm to try and bring him some comfort.

“I mean what’s going to happen to me?” Junhong repeated, as if it would clear up all confusion.

“Well…” Yongguk started, taking a deep breath. “You’ll take my hand, and you’ll come with me. I’ll give you a minute to say goodbye, and then from there it’s up to you.”

“Do I become an angel?” Junhong asked, eyes now open and scanning Yongguk’s face.

“No, angels have their place, they were created just like you, and they have their spot in the universe. “

“But what about my family, I thought if I became an angel I could watch over them.”

Yongguk’s smile softened as he looked around the room, though Junhong was the only one to see him, he could see all of the love that filled the room, that of his family and friends that gathered. “You can still watch over them.  They’ll see you everywhere if you want them to. You’ll become the sunset, or the sunrise over the ocean. You’ll become the scent of honey on the wind, you’ll become a rustle of leaves in fall. And they’ll know it’s you, and they’ll be okay. And you will be too.”

Junhong nodded slowly, and inched his hand toward the others. He wasn’t sure if he was ready to take it yet. “Do you promise?” He asked softly.

“I promise you Junhong. “ The sincerity in Yongguk’s voice made Junhong’s stomach clench and he knew that he meant it, that he was right and it was time to take the other’s hand.  “Do you want to keep fighting?” The words were whispered, Yongguk had done this many times, taken souls with him, brought them comfort. He knew the struggle to actually let go when it was time to do it.

“No, I think…I think I’m ready.” Junhong nodded again and closed his eyes, He took the deepest breath he could manage, fingers reaching out and threading together with Yongguk’s, the promise of pink and blue skies on his mind.