1/1

A Koala & His Tree

“Alright, let’s start our interview session today with a question about Jinwoo, shall we?”

The five boys all nodded in unison, one boy especially beaming looking around at s.

“Please describe what Jinwoo means to each of you?”

“Like a warm blanket”, answered Mino as he wraps his own arms around himself.  “He is always there to comfort us.”

“A hyung whom I care deeply for”, Taehyun replied with a smile.

“My sweet roommate. Someone who has been there with me from the start.” Seungyoon answered as he looked over at Jinwoo and winked.

“A koala bear”

 

“A koala bear?” Laughter filled the interview room as everyone turned their heads towards him.

“Ahh Seunghoonie hyung, now’s not the time to be funny”, complained Mino. More laughter ensued.

“Why a koala bear, Seunghoon-ssi ?” asked the interviewer.

Stumped for words, his eyes wandered around the room, his mind running quickly trying to find a suitable answer for that question.

“Well, isn’t our Jinwoo hyung cute like a koala bear? Just look at that cute face!!" And he proceeded to pinch Jinwoo’s face and laughed.

Everyone seemed to be satisfied with his answer and they continued with the other interview questions.

Seunghoon heaved a sigh of relief. No one should know what he really thinks about Jinwoo.

***

Yes, it’s true that the reason he blurted out koala bear was because of how Jinwoo reminded him of one but it wasn’t only because of the cute factor. The eldest hyung in Winner was unexpectedly a clingy person just like how a koala bear wraps himself around a tree for dear life. 

 

And for Jinwoo, Seunghoon was his tree.

 

Maybe it’s because the other three members were always in the studio, working on their new album while both of them would attend training classes together. During off days, Jinwoo would always be looking out for Seunghoon to join him for dramas or to hang out together.  They even room together for their overseas activities. Naturally, they became really close and shared a lot of their secrets with each other.

 

At first he enjoyed the extra attention, but now he feels a little bit suffocated. Since Jinwoo was still not comfortable being in the limelight, he would often turn to Seunghoon for support. He would look for him for every single thing that the doe-eyed boy could think about doing.

 

He felt guilty for having such bad thoughts about Jinwoo. He knew that his hyung was just taking care of him. He shouldn’t’ think like this about his dear member. So he tried to shut it out. Hiding all these thoughts inside of him until one day, when the stress of group promotions got into his head, Seunghoon snapped.

 

“You know you can always find someone else to join you, hyung . You don’t have to always look for me for such trivial things. Besides, this drama isn’t my cup of tea.”

 

“Oh ok, yea, you are right. I just thought that you’ll like this new drama too. It’s ok, I’ll look for Mino.”

****

One month.

 

One month was all it took for things to change. His koala bear was still there but he had found a new tree to cling to.

Seunghoon injured his ankle and couldn’t join the group for activities for a month. During that one month, he actually missed having Jinwoo’s company a lot. Upon coming back, he was excited especially for someone’s affection but he didn’t expect that his koala bear would have had a change of heart in that short amount of time.

The Jinwoo bear had found a new tree to cling to. Now he is showering Mino with all his love.

 

I thought I was special.

 

Seunghoon had spent the last ten minutes peeking into Jinwoo’s room, watching both Mino and his (ex) koala bear giggling over the same drama series that he had rejected watching with Jinwoo.

 

Well, heaven forbids I’m giving up just because of this. Jinwoo hyung, you’ll never get rid of me.

 

“Hyung, what is that drama that you are watching?” He asked as he squeezed himself beside Jinwoo on the bed, naturally pushing Mino off the bed.

“Oh Hoonie, you want to join me? I thought you hated this drama?”

“Not anymore hyung, I LOVE it!” as Seunghoon eased even closer towards Jinwoo with a smirk on his face.

 

I’ll just be the koala bear this time until you come back to me.