Too Late To Avoid It

Airbag

"Jagi, I'm home! Miss me?"

Kevin was in a particularly good mood. It was just one of those days where everything seemed to be going perfectly, for once. He dropped his bag off by the door and kicked his shoes under the rack, humming happily to himself. It was rare he had a day like this, and he felt in only fair he shared it with her. That, and he wanted to know how her audition went.

He didn't hear a response from his earlier call. Maybe she's sleeping... He stepped out of the entryway and into the apartment. His foot landed in a puddle of water, soaking his sock. He peered down at it, puzzled. As he glanced up, he could see other small spots of pooling water leading all the way...

... to the bedroom.

He quickly closed the remaining distance between him and the bedroom door. It was open just a crack. It was dark - she had probably closed the curtains. Cautiously, Kevin pushed the door open.

There wasn't much light coming in through the windows. Whatever rays there were created little patterns on the floor as the curtains fluttered from the breeze the air conditioning unit generated. Her clothes were scattered around the room. He kicked one with his foot - soaking wet. But it didn't rain today.

She was lying on the bed, burrowed underneath several layers of blankets and sheets. Her knees were tucked into her chest, and she remained expressionless. Kevin sighed sadly and crossed over to her, shifting the mattress under his weight. He crawled closer, only stopping when he was hovering over her balled-up frame. Her eyes moved to look at him, but it was the only movement she made.

"What's wrong?"

She didn't even open to reply. Frankly, she didn't have the energy to speak. Her hair was still wet and spread out across the mattress, dampening the surface. Kevin frowned and leaned in closer. He blew into her ear, sending chills down her spine. He then noticed she was wearing his hoodie and shirt, and those must be his shorts too. He shook his head and blew another breath onto her neck.

She could feel a lump in forming. No, you will not cry. You absolutely will not cry. She hated crying in front of him, it made her feel far too vulnerable. But she couldn't help it. In his clothes, with him so close to her, trying to get her attention - his presence (not to mention scent) was overpowering. Her body was practically screaming at her to sit up and hug him. She wanted to melt into his arms. This is stupid. She thought. So she didn't hold back.

Kevin was caught off-guard when she suddenly sat up and wrapped her arms around his neck, burying her head in his chest. He chuckled slightly, happy she had finally snapped out of whatever trance she may have been in. He rubbed her back comfortingly, humming to her. She recognized the melody, and felt herself tearing up. Why did he have to pick that song to hum?

"What's wrong?" He asked her again. This time, she managed to recover her voice.

"I didn't get casted... again. Not even as an extra or something."

"So why are you so sad? There's always another time."

"I'm just so unsatisfied with myself. No matter what I do - where I go - there's always someone who happily pushes me out of the way. I feel so inferior, Kevin." She started choking on her words and clutched tighter at his shirt. He wrapped his arms tighter around her in an attempt to somehow blanket her.

"Shh. You're not. You're one of the most talented people I know. So much so that I'm jealous! You have no reason to feel inferior, understand? You're beautiful, and perfect. You can't let one bad audition get to you."

She nodded weakly. He was right, as always. She still couldn't grasp how he could be so optimistic about everything. She guessed it came down to one thing - he was Kevin.

"But, um. I have to ask. Why are there puddles of water all over the floor, and why are your clothes and hair soaked?" He ran and hand through her hair as he said it. She sighed.

"I got water-ballooned on the way home."

"By who?" His voice had taken on an icey tone. She noticed it was the one time Kevin got serious -scary even; when he was being protective. She shook her head and took a deep breath.

"Just some people at my university who have been giving me a hard time. It's nothing I can't handle."

"Nothing you can't handle?"

"Really, Kevin, I'm-"

"No. You're not fine. You're soaking wet, and it's freezing outside. Whether you think so or not, this is bullying. Don't I have the right to defend the girl I love from bullies? Why didn't you tell me sooner? You could have called or something. I would have picked you up somehow..."

She reached up and kissed him, not letting him finish his thought. He quickly kissed her back, his arms wrapping tighter around her in a protective manner. She pulled away, and he buried his face in her hair, trying not to get angry. What kind of university students bullied a girl walking by herself? It was just too cruel.

"Next time, call me. I'll find a way to come to you. I'm not going to let people harm you, understand? I can't stand to see you hurt, even if it's just water balloons or whatever. Just please don't keep these things from me anymore." He sounded almost... hurt. He was hurt that she was keeping something like this from him - that she really thought she was strong enough to deal with it on her own. He wanted her to see that she could lean on him. That she didn't have to do everything alone. "You have me..." His voice was barely above a whisper.

He crushed his lips to hers again. She could feel the force of everything he wanted to tell her in that kiss, and she practically melted at his touch. She was such an idiot for thinking she had to be strong all the time.

"Kevin... thank you." She managed to speak between his kisses. He merely hummed against her lips.

Once he pulled away, she hugged him again. He slightly rocked back and forth. She must be tired. He thought. Kevin laid down, bringing her with him and hugging her to his chest. She could feel her eyelids drooping as he sang softly, his voice carrying throughout the room, enveloping her with warmth. As the familiar song filled her ears, she felt peaceful for the first time in a long time.

"Everybody knows you tried, everybody knows it's alright..."