Jealousy

Fate

It was dark but the darkness didn’t seem to bother her. Someone opened the door and for a second the light coming in blinded her. She could feel hot tears streaming down her face, another reason for her blurry vision.

“I knew you’d be here.” He pulled her up then wiped the tears that were streaming down her face.

“Why didn’t you just go home?” she asked.

“Babo. How can I go home without you?”

 

Her dream was cut off by a loud ringing sound beside her. She groaned, eyes darting towards the clock at the bedside table. 6am. Too early. And it’s Saturday. She deserved another few hours of sleep. She covered her head with the pillow trying to muffle the noise but after she realized that the phone will never stop ringing unless she answers it, she gave up. Eyes closed, she reached for her phone and muttered a sleepy “Hello.”

A deep chuckle was heard on the other line and Eunjin’s heart did a somersault. She sat up instantly and gave up any thoughts of sleeping some more.

“Where are you?” Taemin’s deep voice made her heart flutter like it usually does.

“Home.” she replied.

“Great. I’ll be there in 15mins.”

“W-wait, what? Why?“

“Because I miss you,” he said as if it was too obvious and there was really no need to ask. He hung up before she could even speak a word of protest. Well, it’s probably fine since she misses him too. She smiled like a total idiot before heading to the bathroom for a quick shower. She didn’t want to keep him waiting.

 

Eunjin found her sister Soojin and her mom downstairs having breakfast. She wasn’t surprised to see her sister being up and early but it was a rare sight to have her mom during breakfast. In fact it was a rare sight for both of her parents to be home.

“Wow, unnie… Why are you up so early on a Saturday morning?” Eunjin gave her a look that says, ‘shut up and eat’ but Soojin wouldn’t have any of it. “Do you have a date again?” she added.

Her mom stared at Soojin before her gaze landed on her at the mention of ‘date’. “Oh, right,” Soojin said and Eunjin fought the urge to shove food in her sister’s mouth just to stop her from blabbering. “My sister is dating a celebrity, Mom.”

Eunjin rolled her eyes before taking a seat opposite her sister and kicking her feet under the table. But to her dismay her sister ignored her attacks.

“She’s dating who?” she heard her mom ask.

“Taemin oppa.” Eunjin gave up trying by then and instead focused her attention at the food on the table.

“Taemin?” Her mom asked with a puzzled expression on her face.

“Yeah,” Soojin replied. “The singer Lee Taemin. My sister is dating a celebrity.”

If Soojin was obviously delighted with the idea of her dating a celebrity, her mom was the exact opposite. She was so mad and it puzzled Eunjin because she honestly thinks she’s old enough to be dating.

“Break up with him,” she said with an unspoken warning that she had to do what she says or else face the consequences. Then she stormed out of the room leaving Eunjin and her sister to themselves.

Soojin looked apologetic and Eunjin gave her a smile of assurance telling her its fine.


 

Eunjin never thought she was capable of being jealous. But as she watch Taemin play with the bracelet in his hands she could feel her heart slowly breaking, like it couldn’t get enough air and decided to shatter on its own. Taemin had that look on his face again – like he was lost in his own world, somewhere where she couldn’t reach him. Eunjin was certain it was jealousy.

It was from his first love, she remembers Key saying. His first and probably only love, Eunjin was certain of it. No wonder he never took the thing off. It’s made of tan leather strap and a silver anchor style hook. It suits Taemin well. The girl made a good choice, Eunjin thought bitterly.

She felt so pathetic really - being jealous over some unknown girl from Taemin’s past who may or may not even exist anymore. She knew it was all in the past but somehow, for some reason, she can’t help but feel upset because she knew deep down that Taemin still feels something deep for her – something she could never compete with.

Taemin looked up and their eyes met. He smiled like he usually does and making her heart flutter but Eunjin thinks for once that it was not enough. She hated herself because she’s becoming greedy, because she wanted more from him – probably more than what he could ever give. She wanted his heart.


 

She had an unusual dream again. But this time it was different because Taemin was part of it. They were younger, probably somewhere around eleven or twelve. They were in the music room together and he was playing the piano and singing a song.

 

“I want to be a singer,” he said out of the blue.

“Chincha?” she asked.

“How about you?” he asked her back.”What do you wanna be?”

“I want to be your fan.”

“Aren’t you one now?”

“I want to be a fan of the famous Lee Taemin, not the I’m-awesome-but-still-have-a-long-way-to-go Lee Taemin,” she clarified.

“It’s a promise then. I’m going to be famous and you’re going to be the president of my fanclub. Deal?”

She laughed hard, obviously having a great time. “Ok. Deal.”

 

Eunjin woke up more confused than before. The dream was like another fragment of her missing memories. But why would Taemin be part of it?

She covered her face with the palm of her hand. She forced herself to rise up and take a shower. But before she reached the bathroom she got a splitting headache. Her head feels like it’s going to explode. She leaned on the door trying to steady herself and waiting for the pain to subside. When it did she went back to bed and made the decision to skip school.