Insecurity and Inferiority

Insecurity and Inferiority

Yoongi had always been jealous of his twin brother, Suga, for as long as he could remember.  Suga had always been the better twin.  He was intelligent, athletic, talented, and all the positive characteristics you could possibly describe someone.  Being someone like that, Suga was obviously popular.  He was also the favorite son.

 

Yoongi wasn't exactly the opposite.  He wasn't a bad student.  It's just that unlike his twin brother who excels in everything he does, Yoongi was simply average in everything he does.  He tried to do new things that his brother hasn't done yet, but once Suga would learn how to do it, he always does it better than Yoongi and maybe even become one of the bests.

 

Despite being identical twins and having a lot of other similarities in interests and hobbies, they weren't close.  Suga had his own group of friends.  Yoongi was mostly a loner.  He does have a few friends, but nobody he could call as a close friend or a bestfriend.

 

Because of Suga excelling in everything he does, Yoongi decided not to join in any clubs or extracurricular activities when they reached in highschool.  He was sick of hearing people saying how it would have been so much better if Suga joined the club instead of Yoongi.  He was sick of being compared, so he decided to lay low and just be good enough to graduate highschool.

 

The twins were in their third year in highschool when a freshman named Jimin started gaining popularity because he was equally as good in everything he does as Suga.  He became Suga's rival, and they basically competed in almost everything whether academic scores or sports.  Yoongi felt inwardly happy to see Suga getting upset at how people were comparing him and Jimin and how Jimin would sometimes have higher scores or win in sports or in contests against Suga.

 

Then Yoongi started noticing something different.  There may have always been tension between Suga and Jimin since they were rivals, but this time, Yoongi could sense that there was some too especially with how they would throw ual inneudos in their argument sometimes.  There was no denying that they were attracted to each other, and he was pretty sure that others could see it too.  It was just Suga and Jimin in denial even though there were times where they would actually flirt with each other when there isn't any official competition involved.

 

"Hey Suga!! Are you going home? Wanna race to the bus stop? Loser will pay lunch tomorrow at the cafeteria,"  Jimin offered a challenge.

 

"I'm sorry, but I'm not Suga."  Yoongi was amused at how the other had mistaken him for Suga.  Even if he and Suga were identical twins, the people at school had gotten used to them that they could tell them apart.  Perhaps it was because Jimin was just a freshman or perhaps it was because Yoongi was really good at trying to hide his existence.

 

"Who are you supposed to be then? Suga's twin?"

 

Yoongi bursts out his laughter.  He hadn't laughed so much in a long time.  He could see how Jimin really had no clue who he was and he laughed some more at Jimin's dumbfounded look.  "I'm Yoongi, Suga's twin," He managed to introduce his self after his laughter calmed down.

 

"Woah!!! Really?!?!" Jimin looked at Yoongi's student I.D. to make sure everything was true.  "I never knew that Suga had a twin!! How come I never see you in any of his games or in victory parties or... I just never saw you before at all!!!"

 

"Because I never went to any of them.  We've never been close,"  Yoongi said truthfully.  "I have to go now."  As much as he found Jimin to be quite an interesting person, he knew he had to stay away.  His brother already liked Jimin.  It wouldn't do him any good if he started to like the same person especially when he knew that he doesn't have a chance, not when he is against his brother.

 

"Where are you going? I'll walk you.  I don't really have anything to do right now,"  Jimin said he easily caught up with Yoongi and walked beside him. "Besides, I'm interested in knowing about you since I practically don't know anything about you.  What clubs are you in?"

 

Yoongi was surprised to know that somebody would actually be interested in him, but the happiness was only short-lived and quickly replaced with bitterness.  Jimin was probably only interested in him because he just knew about Suga having a twin.  He was pretty sure that Jimin would find him boring soon enough.  "I'm not in any clubs.  I decided to use the time as having a part-time job instead in a Chinese restaurant which is in the opposite direction to your bus stop."  He pointed out the direction, hoping that it would discourage Jimin.

 

"What time do you finish your shift?"

 

"At 8 p.m.  The restaurant closes at 10 but because I'm a student and that it's just a part-time job, they allow me to go home 2 hours earlier."

 

"Then let's have dinner together after your shift!"

 

"No."

 

"Why not?"

 

Yoongi has a pretty long explanation as an answer to that question, but he only ended up saying, "Because I don't want to."

 

"Hyung, you're mean,"  Jimin pouted.  "Even if Suga and I are rivals, he does treat me to dinner sometimes."

 

Yoongi suddenly felt irritated after hearing his twin's name.  "Then go have dinner with him instead."

 

"But I want to have dinner with you!!!" Jimin whined cutely and hugged Yoongi's arm.  

 

Yoongi froze because nobody ever touched him so freely before.  "Jimin, not today."

 

"Then when?"

 

He couldn't believe how stubborn the freshman really was, but it was probably that stubbornness that pushed Jimin's competitiveness that made him excellent in everything he does.  "I'll just tell you when,"  Yoongi lied.  

 

"Pinky promise?" Jimin held out his pinky finger.

 

"Yeah, promise."  Yoongi lied again.

 

"You didn't pinky swear!!!" Jimin wiggled his pinky finger.

 

"There's no need for that.  Just let me go already!" Yoongi couldn't really escape from Jimin's arm hug.  There was no doubt that Jimin was stronger than him.

 

"Hyung, you don't seem to like me,"  Jimin frowned as he finally sensed that Yoongi was serious about rejecting having dinner together and probably lied about having it some other time. 

 

"Jimin, it's obvious not just to me but to the rest of the population at school that you and my brother are attracted to each other.  It's not that I don't like you, but I would like to stay away from whatever or whoever is connected to Suga.  Will you please let me go now? I don't want to be late for work."

 

"Okay, I wouldn't want you to be late for work." Jimin finally lets go of Yoongi's arm.

 

Yoongi felt hitting himself.  Why didn't he think about being late at work as an excuse earlier?

 

"Hyung, I might find your brother attractive and I won't deny the fact that there are times when I dream of ing him or being ed by him but--"

 

Yoongi felt himself blushing at the detailed information.  "Hey, stop it! I didn't need to know that stuff."

 

"But I want you to know that I find you really more interesting, hyung.  There's just an air of mystery surrounding you.  It makes you more attractive.  I'm not going to give up on trying to have dinner with you.  I'll just try again tomorrow.  See you!!!"  With that, Jimin jogged to the opposite direction so he could catch up the next bus ride at the bus stop.

 

Yoongi found himself laughing again though it had a slightly bitter tone to it.  What air of mystery? He was just someone trying to hide his existence to the point where bullies wouldn't even bully him.  He was just someone boring really, and when Jimin will find out how boring he was, he was pretty sure Jimin would instantly hook up with his brother.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

It didn't happen everyday, but there were days when Jimin would walk Yoongi to the Chinese restaurant.  Jimin would start a conversation and then later on ask if they could have dinner together.  Yoongi would reject having dinner together every time.

 

At school, when they happen to see each other, Jimin would always smile at him while Yoongi would look away first and walk somewhere far away from the freshman.  Jimin never really bothered to try to talk to him at school, so if Jimin really wanted to be friends, why wouldn't he talk to him at school?  Yoongi wondered what's going on inside Jimin's head.

 

One day, Yoongi saw Suga and Jimin making out at one of the dark corners of the library.  It was actually popularly known as one of the favorite making out places at school.  Then in the afternoon, Jimin walked Yoongi to the Chinese restaurant.  Jimin was talking about how his day went at school.  Yoongi couldn't help but interrupt him.  "Why don't you talk about how it feels like to be making out with my brother?"

 

"You saw that?" Jimin didn't miss a beat in the conversation.  He didn't sound shock or guilty to be found out by Yoongi.  "He challenged me about which one of us is a better kisser."

 

"So you decided to make out with him because he challenged you?  So if he challenges you about who is the better er, then you would go and each other?"  Yoongi didn't like the unfamiliar emotions he was currently feeling right now.  Anger? Jealousy? Disappointment?  Why the heck was he feeling this way? He shouldn't care who Jimin would choose to or make out with.

 

"Hey, kissing and ing are two very different things and we're practically underaged to be ing. Maybe if he would challenge me to who is better at or , I might take the challenge, but nothing ,"  Jimin was at least being honest.  "I would only give my ity up to someone I really like.  My first kiss was pretty much stolen by someone I don't even like, so I don't care much about kissing.  The act itself is nice especially if your partner is good at kissing, but I guess a true love's kiss would be different.  I really want to know how that feels like.  I really thought I could experience it with Suga, but I really didn't feel anything from him.  He's a good kisser though."

 

"You're stupid." A strange sense of relief washed over Yoongi's uneasiness about the making out issue after hearing Jimin's explanation though Yoongi still deemed it to be stupid.  "You're probably just a typical playboy.  With the way you go around kissing and even willing to do a or give a , I wouldn't be surprised if you'll loose your ity while you're still underaged."

 

"I probably would if I find someone I really like or maybe I have found him."

 

Yoongi refused to look at the freshman.  He knew that the other was talking about him.  He could practically feel Jimin staring at him.  "I'm not allowing you to have dinner with me tonight," Yoongi spoke, hoping to change the direction of their conversation.

 

"Aaaww... why not?!" Jimin whined.  The strange atmosphere was instantly gone.  Things went back to normal until they reached Yoongi's restaurant.  "Hyung, I'm really sorry about earlier. I won't ever kiss Suga or anyone else unless I have your permission.  Speaking of which, there's an upcoming play in which I am casted, and there's most likely going to be a kissing scene, but if you won't allow me, I can just tell them to fake the kissing scene."

 

"You don't need to apologize and you don't need my permission.  It's not like we're..." Yoongi couldn't form the word.  It just got stuck in his throat.  "We're not like that or anything."

 

"Not yet anyway," Jimin sounded confident.  "I'm looking forward to when you'll allow me to have dinner with you,"  He emphasized the word dinner which hinted Yoongi that Jimin wasn't just talking about dinner.  The day Yoongi would allow them to have dinner together would be the day when... Yoongi didn't want to finish the thought.  He wasn't really sure himself what might happen.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Shock vibrated all throughout Yoongi's body as he was slammed by the locker and his shirt was held up by his twin.  "What did you do to make Jimin like you?"  His brother had never been angry at him before.

 

"He doesn't like me,"  Yoongi's weak response didn't sound convincing at all.

 

"Everybody knew that we were attracted to each other.  We were bound to be come a couple sooner or later.  Then I suddenly sensed him changing in the way he looks at me and talks to me.  He doesn't seem to take my challenges that much seriously as before.  I wondered what or who could possibly be distracting him.  I was glad when he took up my kissing challenge yesterday, but then he moaned your name!!! Out of all people, it was your name!!!"  Suga shook Yoongi's body, making the back of Yoongi's head hit the locker a couple of times.  

 

"I have no ing idea why he would like me either.  Everybody knows you are soooo much better than me,"  Yoongi managed to smirk despite feeling the pain at the back of his head and feeling slightly dizzy from the motions earlier.  He just felt happy that for once, somebody actually chose him over Suga.

 

Suga punched the smirk out of Yoongi's face.  "In the end, he'll choose me over you. Just wait and see."

 

The pain he felt on his face was nothing compared to his heart as he feared that what Suga said might become true.  Isn't that what he first thought too?  Isn't that why he kept rejecting having dinner with Jimin?  He liked how Jimin showed interest in him and how Jimin hasn't given up on him yet, but how long with that last?  If he allows Jimin to get to know more about him, would he still stay interested in him?  Surely, Suga has always been the more interesting one.  Jimin would probably go back to being interested at Suga once he finds out how boring and very average Yoongi really was.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

They were still at school when Jimin saw Yoongi's bruised cheek.  For the first time, he approached Yoongi at school and touched his face.  "What happened?!" He asked concerned and feeling angry at the same time at whoever did this to Yoongi.

 

Yoongi was startled at the touch and the intensity of Jimin's voice.  He was feeling conscious too by the people around them who were looking at them.  He could hear the murmurs and whispers as they wondered why Jimin would be concerned over Yoongi.  "Jimin, you're making a scene,"  Yoongi said softly.  He could see his brother seething among the crowd as well.

 

"Let's get you to the clinic."  Jimin dragged the older student to the clinic. The nurse wasn't around as she was probably taking her lunch break, but Jimin seems to know where the things are in the clinic.  He easily got an ice pack for Yoongi's bruised cheek.  "Now tell me who did this to you."

 

Yoongi was amused at how angry Jimin is when it was partly his fault too.  "Someone got angry at me because you moaned my name while kissing him."

 

"Oh." Jimin instantly realized who Yoongi meant.  "That's still no excuse to punch you.  How could he hurt his own identifcal twin brother?!  Wouldn't that be like punching his own face?"

 

Yoongi knew that Jimin was completely serious about what he had just said, but that made it all the more funny for Yoongi.  His bruised cheek hurts while laughing, but he couldn't stop the laughter escaping from his lips.  His laughter was cut short by a kiss.  With the way his mouth was already open from laughing, it had been easy for Jimin to have access inside Yoongi's mouth.  The moment their tongues touched, Yoongi pushed Jimin away.

 

They both looked startled.  Yoongi was startled by the abrupt kiss.  Jimin was startled by the way Yoongi pushed him very hard that his ended up on landing on the floor.  "I'm really sorry about that," Jimin immediately apologized as he stood up from the floor.  "You wouldn't even allow me to have dinner with you and yet, I just kissed you like that.  Then the other day, you saw me kissing your twin.  You must really hate me right now."

 

"I don't hate you.  I'm just not interested in you."  Yoongi tried to keep a straight face, but a blush was creeping into his cheeks and his heart was still beating fast from their kiss.  It wasn't even a proper kiss.  Their lips and tongues simply touched for just one second or maybe two seconds.

 

"If you're going to reject me, then at least have dinner with me once.  You can reject me afterwards."  There was something about Jimin's tone that Yoongi could feel that the freshman was finally giving up on him.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Luckily, the restaurant wasn't busy tonight, so Yoongi could have a break longer than usual by spending his dinner with Jimin at a nearby convenience store since Yoongi didn't want to risk having other staff eavesdropping on his conversation with Jimin.  Yoongi could have had free dinner in the restaurant, but he didn't mind spending a bit with the cup of ramen and bottle of juice for dinner.  It was the least he could do if he was going to reject Jimin later.

 

"I thought our first date would be somewhere better than this," Jimin tried to lighten up the atmosphere.  "But hey, ramen will always be delicious!" After that, they mostly ate in silence as they were both involved deep in their own thoughts.  Jimin only began speaking again after he finished his cup of ramen.  "So... I actually have a twin as well."

 

Yoongi was surprised to hear this.  He hadn't heard from anybody about Jimin having a twin.  He placed down his chopsticks and cup of ramen to pay more attention to Jimin.  There was only a little left of his ramen anyway.  He was more interested in what Jimin had to say than finishing his ramen.  "Is your twin brother like me then? The less popular one?"

 

"Actually, he's the more popular one."  Jimin showed his family picture to Yoongi.  "We're fraternal twins though.  His name is Jin.  He's currently in Japan along with my parents.  I decided to come here in Korea to boost up my own self-esteem.  I wanted to be in a place far away from him where people don't know about him and where I wouldn't be compared with him."

 

"I actually plan to go to Japan for college," Yoongi spoke in Japanese, showing off his language skills to let the other know how ready he was to move to Japan.  Then he switched back to speaking Korean, "For the same reason as why you decided to come here in Korea."  He didn't think he would have that much in common with Jimin.

 

"Really? Then I would actually have something to look forward to every time I have to go back to Japan for summer or Christmas break," Jimin lit up with excitement, but then his excitement easily died out as he remembered that he was probably going to be rejected later.  "Well... that is if you decide to have a relationship with me... which you probably won't.  I thought I could finally be in a relationship without my brother around.  He usually gets the person I tend to like, but sadly even without him around, I seem to be rejected anyway."

 

"Who says I'm rejecting you?"

 

Jimin paused for a bit as he let his brain absorb and understand what Yoongi just said.  "I thought you're not interested in me."

 

"I planned on rejecting you, so I lied about not being interested in you," Jimin admitted.  "But you opened up to me about your own situation and how it's very similar to mine.  You should understand why I was determined to reject and push you away, right?"

 

"I didn't think that your insecurities would be the reason why you're rejecting me.  I really thought you weren't interested in me,"  Jimin was relieved and happy to know that his feelings were being reciprocated all along.  "So you're really not rejecting me?"

 

"Wait... does this mean that the reason why you're interested in me is because I remind me of you? Isn't that kind of... narcissistic or something like that?"

 

"Before I knew that we're in a similar situation and that we had a lot of common, I first became interested in you because of your laugh."  They both reminisced that first time they met in which Yoongi laughed because Jimin was joking about Yoongi being Suga's twin when it was the truth after all.  "When you laughed, I could instantly tell that you weren't Suga at all.  Suga's laughter has some sort of boasting or mocking tone to it.  Your laughter sounded weird and kind of rusty, so I thought this person probably doesn't laugh much and I felt pleased to be someone who brought out the laughter from your mouth.  Like I said before, you also have a mysterious kind of aura.  It made you really attractive to me."

 

"Whatever mysterious aura and attractiveness you found in me must be gone by now," Yoongi rolled his eyes.

 

"I'm pretty sure that you're still keeping a lot of things from me, but I'm hoping we can be both more open to each other from now on.  Also, I don't think you'll ever run out of attractiveness."  Jimin could totally see that disbelief in Yoongi's eyes and how his compliments seem to make Yoongi uncomfortable.  He found it rather endearing.  "If you're not going to reject me, you should really get used to receiving compliments from me and skinship too." Jimin reached out and laced their fingers together.

 

Yoongi stared at their laced fingers, not really knowing what to do.  "Um... I should head back to work."

 

"I'll wait for you to end your shift."

 

"You don't have to."

 

"I want to walk you home."

 

"We live in opposite directions."

 

"Since you didn't reject me, then I want to walk my boyfriend home," Jimin felt giddy at mentioning the fact that he has a boyfriend now.

 

"Hey, I may not have rejected you, but it's not like I accepted... wait, you didn't even ask me to be your boyfriend!!! What the is this..." Yoongi grumbled as he allowed Jimin to drag him back to the Chinese restaurant with their hands still tightly clasped together.

 

After his shift, Yoongi was surprised that Jimin was just right outside waiting for him.  "You idiot.  Why didn't you just go home? It's cold to be outside at this time of the night."  He pulled his scarf from his neck to place it on Jimin's neck.  "Your hands are totally cold too!!!"

 

Jimin didn't say anything, but he really liked how Yoongi was caring for him.  He was used to being cared of by others because he was needed for a competition.  It was more of caring for a player or a contestant.  However, he didn't feel like somebody really genuinely cared for him in a long time like Yoongi does right now.

 

He pulled Yoongi in a hug, slipping his cold hands underneath Yoongi's shirt.  The cold touch made Yoongi gasp which Jimin took advantage of, kissing the other fully on the lips and tongue making its way inside.  Yoongi didn't shy away from the kiss this time around.  He kissed back passionately and placed his warm hands on Jimin's cold cheeks.

 

"Will you be my boyfriend?" Jimin asked as they pulled apart from the kiss.

 

"Idiot. You're supposed to ask that before kissing." Yoongi tried to squirm his way out, but Jimin only held him tighter.

 

"Yoongi, look at me."

 

Yoongi looked straight at Jimin's eyes, and he could see how much this guy wanted him.

 

"If there's one thing that you could have that your brother couldn't, then that would be my heart."

 

Suga's words about Jimin ending up choosing Suga over him floated in Yoongi's mind, but he no longer believed in his twin.  He had wasted a lot of opportunities because he had been feeling insecure and inferior towards his brother, but he won't let his feelings of insecurity and inferiority push Jimin away this time.  He decided to believe in Jimin, and he hoped Jimin can see how much he wants him back as well.  "I'll be your boyfriend if you stop being so cheesy."

 

"Admit it. You like me being cheesy and corny along with the praises and compliments plus the skinship, hugs, and kisses and perhas more later on."  

 

Yoongi was reminded that Jimin's hands were still under his shirt.  "Jimin, we're in public. Please keep your hands to yourself."

 

Jimin pouted though he followed Yoongi's wish and retracted his hands from Yoongi's shirt, but the slight disappointment was replaced by a sudden rush of happiness when Yoongi reached out to hold his hand lacing their fingers together and asked, "Do you want to spend the night at my place instead? It'll be really late for you to get home if you'll walk me home since you live in the opposite direction."

 

"I totally look forward to sleeping with you."  Yoongi blushed at the way Jimin used a y tone which implied a deeper meaning, but they both knew that no will be involved tonight since they knew that they should be taking things slow.  They both do look forward to spending the rest of the night together.

 

THE END

A/N: Hope you guys liked it~ tell me by writing down a comment below? It's my first BTS fic~ hehe~