Chapter One

Leobin in 50

Chapter One

            Hongbin growled at his reflection in the elevator wall.  No matter how hard he tried to straighten his shirt it still looked as if he had pulled it from the bottom of his closet…which he did…but no one had to know about that.  His dark washed jeans thankfully looked good enough, but tied in with his sneakers he looked like a wannabe hipster.  It wasn’t the look he had been going for when he was pulled out of his bed this morning by a snotty nosed roommate who could barely walk straight due to all the cold medicine he was on.

                Damn you Haekyeon.  Hongbin thought as he undid his tie in hope that when he tied it again it would lie flat against his chest.  He had books at home waiting for him to read for the finals that were happening the following week.  He also had work later that day, which means he would be a grumpy mess and he had not wanted that for work at all.

                His phone buzzed with a new message, he could hear the obscenely loud voice filling every empty space of his brain.

                ‘Yah!  Did you get there safely?  Make sure you read every question!  And use the recorder!  I’m sure someone can show you how to use it if you forget how!  Make sure you use it Hongbin!  Also, I ate the soup you made me.  It was delicious as usual!  I expect a full report!  Including what Jung is wearing!  Use that big brain and remember something!!!  Love you! Thank you again!!  Stop freaking out you look ok at least!  Next time borrow my clothes!’

                “You are entirely too loud for a text message.”  Hongbin mumbled as the elevator doors pinged and opened to an almost blindingly white lobby area.

                “Welcome to Jung Enterprises, how may I help you?”  A perky blonde in a blazer sat behind the counter, barely looking up from the screen she was typing at.

                “Yes my name is Hongbin Lee, I am here on assignment for Haekyeon Cha from the University paper.  We have an interview with Mr. Jung.”

                Perky blonde looked up over her screen at him.  Giving him a good up and down look.  “Ah yes, he will be expecting you, give me a second to give you a badge and then you will head to the elevator attendant in the hall and he will direct you to the correct floor.”  Her nails went back to making tapping sounds against the keyboard and Hongbin felt like he just lost some sort of popularity contest he didn’t know about.

                Badge attached, and once again trying to flatten his tie against his chest, Hongbin headed to a smartly dressed man, strategically placing a large amount of people onto one elevator while simultaneously telling another person what floor they needed.  It wasn’t long until he had Hongbin on a fancy elevator that had been hiding in a corner and had sent him up to the topmost floor available on the keypad.

                He pulled out his directions for his tape recorder, no reason to look like more of an idiot in front of the president of the company by not knowing how to work a tape recorder.  His nerves were pulled so taut that you could play a Mozart Concerto on them.  This is why he was a literature major, he loved his books; simple page turning books.  Electronics and the stress of meeting deadlines were not in the lines of work he was looking for.  

                There was a ping and the doors opened to yet another secretary desk, with another woman just as pretty as the other sitting behind it.  Hongbin couldn’t help but feel like a mere hobo stepping out of the elevator. There was no way he would ever be able to work for a place like this.  Everyone he had seen so far had been young, beautiful, and dressed in expensive, perfectly altered clothing.  Everything Hongbin would never want to do, or be able to.  Haekyeon was close to this kind of world, not Hongbin. 

                “Mr. Lee, if you would please wait a moment in the waiting room, Mr. Jung will be ready in a second.”  Hongbin nodded, veering off towards the white furniture stationed before a ceiling to floor window.  It gave Hongbin a breathtaking view of the city line spanning out on the horizon.

                No wonder all the important people want top floors; it’s a beautiful view.  He sat, getting comfortable and pulling out his questions, praying for a small bio on who he was about to do an interview with.  He had told Haekyeon that he didn’t know who Mr. Jung was, or what kind of contribution he gave to the university.  Whatever contribution it was, it was never for the library so naturally Hongbin never cared. 

                Come on Haekyeon, please tell me you wrote one. Even a tiny name and age in a corner of the sheet would be ok.  Scouring every page of questions brought nothing but a headache and anger.  Haekyeon only gave him questions and directions to everywhere and everything.  But nothing on the guy he was gonna interview.   

                His phone pinged again.  Another message from his sickie roommate. ‘Hey, sorry again!  It just took me so long to get an interview with him.  Remember to look at what he is wearing too!  The paper wants to know for their fashion section!  Not knowing what Taekwoon Jung is wearing is a crime!  Remember the power button for the recorder and the record button are in the same area so BE CAREFUL OF WHAT YOU HIT!  Try not to act like a fool in front of Mr. Jung, he does good things for our school!  Thank you again Hongbin!  I owe you lots!’

                Hongbin rolled his eyes and looked at the recorder resting on the low table in front of him.  The record button was clearly a red dot next to a black one that said power above it…hopefully he would get it right.

                Ok, so what do I know?  The man I am meeting is called Taekwoon Jung (thank you Haekyeon for that text), he is the president of a multi-million dollar company, and I need to remember what he is wearing because for some reason there is fashion in a university paper.  Hongbin ran his fingers through his hair, and then regretted it immediately….Haekyeon had styled his hair to perfection and he had just ruined it in a single swoop.  Well, now my hair matches the rest of me, messy and disorganized.  And now I am meeting a very important man looking like a slob and I have all these questions that I’m not really reading that I probably should and I hate Haekyeon.  Hongbin took a deep calming breath, closing his eyes.  Freaking out would get him nowhere.

                “Alright Hongbin,” he mumbled to himself, “You are sitting in your chair, reading your favorite book.  You’re relaxed, you have a glass of wine, it doesn’t matter, just calming book reading.”  He smirked at himself, never mind that you are talking to yourself like a crazy person right now.

                “Mr. Lee?”  A tall man in a smart black suit smiled at him.

                “Yes?”  Hongbin nearly whined, he was trying not to seem as crazy as he felt.

                “Mr. Jung will see you in just a few moments.  Can I get you some water?”

                “Oh, no thank you.  That might be a little dangerous.”  Hongbin’s jaw snapped closed.  “I meant dangerous for me, I’m completely clumsy.  Not that you need to know that.  I just…oh dear.”  Hongbin resisted the urge to jump through the nearest window.  “Sorry, I’m just a little nervous.”

                “That’s alright Mr. Lee.”  Black suit walked away.  Hongbin was sure he heard a giggle.

                Great, just flipping great.  Now I’m the crazy person I watch in dramas.  Hongbin’s heart sank.  He really didn’t belong here.

                There was a small whoosh sound and a man appeared through a frosted glass door.  “So I will see you on the field Saturday, right Jung?”  There was no verbal answer, at least not one that Hongbin could hear.  Black suit jumped up and called an elevator for him, but the man stayed in the doorway for a little bit longer.  “You are quite lucky Mr. Jung, your next guest seems to be incredibly handsome too.”  There was a tinkle of laughter as the door closed and the man walked to the elevator, throwing Hongbin a wink on his way.

                “Alright Mr. Lee, Mr. Jung is ready to see you now.  Don’t bother knocking just head on in.”  Hongbin nodded, feeling a little flushed from the earlier business man’s complement.  He gathered his papers as best as possible, trying to make them fit in his bag.  He was halfway to the door when he realized he had forgotten the recorder and had to go back for it. 

                He finally pushed the door open and ended up tripping over the door jam, falling through headfirst.  His papers flew out of his bag, littering the floor and a pair of very shiny dress shoes on the floor in front of him.

                “Mr. Cha, are you alright?”  A delicate voice sounded, while a strong hand reached out to help him up.  Hongbin held his breath, and closed his eyes.  ‘That did not just happen.’  Letting his breath out, he slowly started to look up.  A young man was standing there in a sharp black suit, his blue shirt a striking contrast from the rest of the office of white and gray.  “Mr. Cha?”  Came the voice again-such a light, fleeting sound.  Hongbin took his hand to stop feeling embarrassed for staring.

                “Yes, sorry, um.  No, not Mr. Cha.  I’m Hongbin Lee.  Standing in for Haekyeon.”  Hongbin gave the man a smile before ducking to grab the papers on the floor.  “I’m so sorry about this sir, I hope I didn’t knock anything over when I came in.”

                “Just yourself Mr. Lee.”  ‘Is he laughing at me?’  Hongbin stood and looked back at Mr. Jung’s dark eyes, there was definite humor in his eyes, even if his face remained neutral.

                “Sorry again.”

                “No worries, I’m used to reporters tripping over themselves to get an interview.  Though you are the first that had an interview to fall into my office.  Please, come to the sitting area so we can get started.”

                “Yes, Sir.”  Hongbin said, bowing and following the extended hand towards the pristine white chairs in front of a large marble desk.  There was a light intake of breath behind him, but he continued forward.  Too worried about the blush that had his cheeks burning.

                In less than a minute he had embarrassed himself in front of some head honcho.  In thirty seconds.  Geeze that has to be a new record.  Must not tell Haekyeon about this.  He resisted the urge to smack himself as he made it to one of the chairs.  He was determined to finish this interview without any more… as he sat the papers tumbled from his hands and the tape recorder clattered to the floor.

                “I am more than over this right now.”  He sighed, swiping the recorder from the floor.

                “Well, I hope you mean to get your interview before you call it quits.”  Long legs crossed in front of him, placing a well-oiled table between them.

                “Sorry Mr. Jung.  I’m not use to this.”  His hands shook as he organized the papers and picked up his tape recorder.

                “Take all the time you need Mr. Lee.”  Hongbin flashed a smile, truly grateful that the business tycoon really seemed ok.  He fumbled with the tape recorder, dropping it on the table twice before turning it off…or was that the record button.  He drug out his instructions, making sure to press the right button.

                “Do you mind if I record your answers?”

                “After all the trouble you went through, now you ask?”  Hongbin flushed, he felt mortified, unsure of what to say.  What was he doing with his intelligence?  “No Mr. Lee I don’t mind.” 

                “Did Haekyeon, sorry, Mr. Cha, explain what the interview was for?” Hongbin tried not hold his breath: he didn’t even know the reason for this stupid interview.

                “Yes, I’m appearing in the paper for graduation issue, since I am conferring the degrees at this year’s graduation ceremony.”

                ‘Oh, wow.  The things I miss in the library.’  Hongbin swallowed.  “Right, I will start the questioning.”  Mr. Jung nodded, his eyebrow raised in amusement, and Hongbin had to square his shoulders to look more intimidating and professional.  He gathered his papers, hoping they were in the right order.

                “You’re very young to have amassed such an empire.  To what do you owe your success?”  Even Hongbin grimaced at the standard question.  Jung had an air of disappointment around him.

                “I’m very good at judging people Mr. Lee, and business is all about people.”

                Would it hurt to elaborate on an answer?  Geeze.  “Would you care to elaborate?”

                “Not in the slightest.”  Mr. Jung cast Hongbin an arrogant smile.

                “So you owe your success to your luck of picking people.”

                The tiny flash in his dark eyes gave Hongbin every bit of satisfaction.  “I don’t believe in luck or chance, Mr. Lee.  I work hard, and therefore I am rewarded.  It’s all about having the right people on you team and distributing their energies accordingly.”

                “So you’re a control freak.”  Hongbin rolled his eyes as he looked through the questions in front of him.

                “I exercise control in all things, Mr. Lee,” long legs uncrossed and crossed again as Mr. Jung adjusted his position, his chin resting on the tips of his fingers, his eyes boring into Hongbin.  Geeze…what is he?  A model?  Hongbin wrinkled his nose in disgust at the man’s beauty, feeling another flush rise to his cheeks.

                “Do you feel you have immense power?”

                “I employ over fifty thousand people, many who live in other countries as well.  If I were to decide that I wasn’t interested in one area of my business and sell, lots of people will be dropping their kids off at the nearest baby drop.”

                Hongbin could feel his chin slam into the floor; in complete awe by the lack of humility.  “You don’t answer to a board?”  Disgust was being masked as well as possible, but the evidence of it was shining through.

                “I own this company.”  Short and simple, but it said everything.  The raised eyebrow kept Hongbin in his seat, with the papers firmly clutched in his hands.

                “Do you have interest outside your work?”

                “Varied interests.”  His eyes held a bit of a smile in them and Hongbin did his best not to wrinkle his questions in frustration.

                He really isn’t going to elaborate on anything?  Hongbin was just so confused on how this was even close to an interview at all then.  Hongbin closed his eyes and counted to three.  Must do this for Haekyeon, because if I don’t my life will be a living hell.

                “Well you work so hard, what do you do to chill out?” Please say something better than varied interest.  Hongbin pleaded, hoping that the pout wasn’t forming on his face.

                “Chill out?”  A full smile broke out on his face, his eyes squinting up and his perfect teeth showing.  The sight made Hongbin’s heart skip.  “Well Hongbin, to ‘chill out’ as you so well put it.  I like to sail, fly, and hike.  I indulge in expensive and extensive hobbies every now and then.  There is always the soccer tournament for charity; I particularly enjoy that.” 

                Hongbin fumbled through the questions, wanting to get off this topic.  His heart was fighting to put itself back into a correct rhythm.  “It says here you like to build things.  Why is that?”

                “You didn’t know I liked to build things Mr. Lee?”  The eyebrows raised again, more humor playing for his perfect stoic face.

                Next question. “Would your friends say you’re easy to get to know?”

                “I go to great lengths to keep my privacy Mr. Lee.  Normally I do not give interviews.”

                “Yes, I can tell.”  Hongbin snapped his mouth shut, his eyes widened at his snark. Next question, next question.

                “Why did you agree to do this interview?”  What is wrong with you Hongbin?  That was not another question!

                “I am a benefactor of the school.  And Mr. Cha just wouldn’t leave me be.  If I had to send another secretary home to rest because of stress I was going to be very upset.”

                Oh Haekyeon, you really wanted this interview, huh?  Hongbin thought rolling his eyes.

                “You invest in farming technologies.  Why are you so interested in that?”

                “Money isn’t food, no matter how much the government tries to make money mean more than everything.  There are many people on this planet who don’t get to eat.”  Hongbin bounced his legs at the glare Jung shot him to not ask anymore.

                “Do you have a philosophy?”

                “More of a guiding principle- Carnegie’s: ‘A man who acquires the ability to take full possession of his own mind may take possession of anything else to which he is justly entitled.’”

                “So you’re a control freak that likes to possess things.”

                Jung’s eyes widened at Hongbin who once again fumbled around with his papers for another question.

                “You were adopted.  How do you think that shaped the way you are now?”  Hongbin resisted the urge to groan, he really should have read these questions before heading into the interview.  No man who likes privacy as much as Mr. Jung would want to answer something so personal.

                “I wouldn’t know.”

                “How old were you when you were adopted?”

                “That’s a matter of public record Mr. Lee.”  Hongbin’s eyes widened at the stern tone, trying to move onto the next question before his lack of interview skills came into question.

                “You’ve had to sacrifice family life for your work.” 

                “Was that meant to be a question?”

                “Yes, my apologies.”  Hongbin squirmed a little.  “Have you had to sacrifice family life for your work?”

                “I have two brothers, and two adoring parents, along with a good set of grandparents.  I have no interest in extending my family beyond that.”

                “Are you gay, Mr. Jung?”

                There was a sharp inhale and Hongbin felt his mouth open with a pop.  “As I don’t see how it is any of your business Hongbin, I will not answer that.”

                Crap, Hongbin felt the blush rising to chis cheeks, his filter had finally broken.  “I’m so sorry Mr. Jung, its written here as a question.”

                Dark hair fell into his eyes as Mr. Jung cocked his head to question him slightly.  “Those aren’t your questions Mr. Lee?”

                !  Hongbin felt his face turn pale.  “No Haek…Mr. Cha compiled them.”

                “Are you part of the student newspaper?”

                “No I am in the unfortunate circumstance of being Haekyeon’s roommate.  I study literature and linguistics at the University.”

                A Long, pale finger rubbed over Taekwoon’s chin as he thought.  “Did you volunteer for the interview?”

                Hongbin opened his mouth to answer and then closed it.  How am I the one being interviewed now?

                “No I was drafted.  He isn’t feeling all that well right now.”

                “Oh?”  The black eyebrows raised an inch, his fingers peaked below his nose.  Hongbin wasn’t sure if he was really interested or not, but Mr. Jung played intrigued well.

                “If you ever happen to meet Haekyeon you will find it would just be easier to give him what he wants.”  Hongbin gave a small smile.  “And today what he wanted was to not lose his chance at this interview.  Which is why you have me.”

                “Well then, I must thank him for sending you.”  There was a hint of a smile behind his fingers, but just that hint was enough to have Hongbin blushing again.  A knock at the door brought his striking gaze away from Hongbin. 

                “Mr. Jung, your next meeting is in five minutes.”  It was the black suit, his pearly white smile almost blinding Hongbin with its twinkle.

                “We aren’t through here Gwanghi, will you cancel please?”  Mr. Jung looked back at Hongbin, a small smile playing over his lips.

                Hongbin watched as Gwanghi hesitated, completely lost at the idea that his boss would rather stay in an interview than head into his next meeting.  Hongbin was just about to say that they were through when Mr. Jung looked back at the poor man with a dark glare and held up his hand, long elegant fingers slowly counting down from five.  Black suit was out the door before the first finger was down halfway.

                “Where were we Mr. Lee?”  Gone was the father scolding a child, and back was the playful smile from before.

                “Please, don’t let me keep you from anything.”  Hongbin said, starting to put his questions away.

                “You have peaked my interest Mr. Lee, I want to know more about you.  I think it’s only fair.”  Curiosity was alight in his eyes.

                .  Hongbin tried to stay calm; honestly for a man that didn’t want anyone to pry shouldn’t be trying to pry into someone else’s life.  “Well Mr. Jung, there isn’t much to know about me.”

                “I highly doubt that.”  His chin was back to leaning lightly on his fingers, face still as stoic as it ever was, but his eyes were playful.  “What were you planning on doing after graduation?”

                Hongbin resisted the urge to snort.  “I haven’t made any plans as of yet Mr. Jung.  I just want to get through my finals.”  Which I would love to be studying for right about now, rather than sitting in your swanky office.

                “We have an excellent internship program here.”  Mr.  Jung said quietly.  Hongbin raised his eyebrows.

                “I’ll, um, keep that in mind Mr. Jung.”  Hongbin muttered.  “Though I’m not really sure I would ever fit in around here.”

                “Why do you say that?”

                “I…um I think it’s a little bit obvious.”  Hongbin gave a small smile. 

                “Not to me Mr. Lee.”  Hongbin squirmed under the intense gaze.  “Would you like me to show you around?”

                “Mr. Jung, I am sure you are far too busy, and I have a rather long drive back to the university.”

                “You’re driving back today?”  Mr. Jung glanced outside, causing Hongbin to do the same.  As the interview had progressed the weather had turned bleak and stormy.  Gray clouds had formed and it was obvious, even from the height they were at, that the wind was blowing madly.  “Well, you better drive carefully.”  His tone was authoritative.

                Not that it’s any of your business how I drive, Mr. Jung.  Hongbin grumbled away in his head.

                “Yes, sir.”  Hongbin picked up the recorder, making sure to press the correct button to turn the device off.  “Thank you again for doing this interview Mr. Jung.”

                “The pleasure has been all mine,” came the silky politeness.  They shook hands and once again Hongbin’s heart skipped its beat, “until we meet again Mr. Lee.”

                Hongbin gave a trembling smile, gathering his bag as he turned to make it out the door without falling face first.

                A hot breath was next to his ear as he stepped through.  “I’m glad you made it through safely this time Mr. Lee.”

                “Thank you Mr. Jung.”  Hongbin couldn’t help it, his nose wrinkled right at Taekwoon Jung’s face.  The widening of the business tycoon’s eyes gave him all sorts of pleasure and he made his way to the elevator that Gwanghi had hopped up to call as they came through the office door.

                “You didn’t have a coat Mr. Lee?”

                “One look at me and you can tell Mr. Jung, that I can barely afford the dollar store shoes on my feet, what makes you think I had a jacket appropriate to wear to this interview?”

                The blank face was back, and Hongbin resisted the urge to slam his face into the fine marble desk.

                “Jessica, fetch my jacket and umbrella for Mr. Lee’s use please.”  The beautiful woman stood up and hopped to a small room behind the counter where she emerged with a light rain jacket and an umbrella, just as the elevator doors opened. 

                “Mr. Jung, I am perfectly fine with getting a little bit wet on the way to my car.  Good day.”  Hongbin made for the elevator, trying to step into its confines before he could be stopped.

                “It would make me feel a lot better if you just wore the jacket, Hongbin.”  It was the voice. It had to be the soft voice that forced him to turn and see Mr. Jung holding the jacket out to him, waiting.  It was the lost look in those dark eyes that had him walking forward.

                “I will find a way to send it back to you Mr. Jung.”  Hongbin said and he shrugged the coat on.

                “Thank you.”

                He was mentally punching himself in the face as he stepped back into the elevator, turning to see the tall, beautiful man standing there with a small smile playing on his lips as he held onto the door.

                “Drive safely Hongbin.”

                “Have a wonderful day, Taekwoon.”  And the doors shut.  And every ounce of his being collapsed onto the floor as all confidence left him.

                “HOW WAS THAT AN INTERVIEW?  WHY THE HELL IS A GOD THE HEAD OF A COMPANY?  HOLY THAT MAN IS BEAUTIFUL!”  Hongbin took a deep calming breath that wasn’t working so well.  “I’m going to kill you Haekyeon.  I will, I swear it.” 

                Hongbin left Jung Enterprises, and even in the parking garage underneath the building he was hunched from the cold windy weather, determined not to be very happy that Mr. Jung had given him the jacket as protection against the weather.  When he finally made it to Haekyeon’s car he sent the sick man a text.

                ‘Coming home now.  Please make arrangements with whatever God you love and prepare for your death.’

                The responding text came only a few moments later.  ‘Love you too.  Drive safely.”

               

               

                A/N:

 

Um...As always, thank you to who ever decides to read this.  The idea, and the editing are entirly Jellochan...all her...not me..nope...don't look here.  I didn't bully her to correct my stuff or anything...nope..

 

JELLOCHAN IS THE BEST!!! <3