The Start

On Halloween

 

“It's already the first week of October and I still don't have a job,” I sighed.

“Don't worry about it Stephen, you'll find one eventually.”

“That's gonna take forever. Until then, I'm broke.” Thanks for trying to cheer me up Michael, but optimistic thoughts aren't going to help me buy a plane ticket by May.

“Dude, keep trying. I'll keep my eyes open for any places that are hiring.”

“Okay. Thanks.” The reason that I want to buy a plane ticket, is so that I can travel to Korea. It's on the other side of the world, as well as my bucket list. The things that make the country so appealing to me is their culture, their cheap, cool things, and lots of cute Korean girls. I'm pretty sure my future-wife is roaming around somewhere, waiting for a chance to meet me. But back to reality, I really need a job.

 

*        *        *

 

“Stephen! Guess who found an awesome job that's hiring inexperienced people!”

“No way! Who's hiring?”

“Wait. Guess who found you the job.”

“Michael, does that even matter? Which place?”

“Gosh, bro. You never show me love. Anyways, it's that maze thing at Double Take. I guess since Halloween's coming up, they're starting to hire their workers.”

“Uh, you don't mean that haunted maze thing...”

“Yeah! The maze thing. Anyways, didn't I do a great job finding this out? I even got you an application form, AND I put in a good word for you!”

“I don't know... I don't like that kind of thing.”

“What? It's a good job. The pay is good and it doesn't require a full commitment. Your job will end along with this month!”

“I don't know...”

“... Stephen, don't tell me you're still scared of that place.”

“No, man! I'm turning eight-teen next month. I'm not scared of that place anymore.”

“Good. Because after you peed your pants when we were 8, everyone from the maze ran away. Me and the ghosts. You got nothing to be afraid of.”

“Let's not bring that up anymore. Anyways, it's not that I'm scared of the place, it's just that... I just don't like the idea of scaring people. I've always hated haunted houses and I'm pretty sure there are other people; like me, who have jerk friends; like you, who make us do things we don't like.”

“Hey, I was helping you. If I hadn't forced you in that maze, you would've lived your whole life not knowing that your pee can repel all your fears.”

“Are you done?”

“Almost. And the look on your face when I came back, LOL! You were crying with snot was coming out of your nose, and into your mouth. HA! I wish I had taken a picture. Haha. Good times. Okay, I'm done.”

“Good. So yeah. Thanks for the help, but I don't think this is my type of job.”

“Yo, it up. Beggars can't be choosers. Do you want a job or not? Yeah, you'll be scaring people and they might pee in their pants, but if they do, you can be the only one who doesn't run away. You can be the one who helps them out of the maze without feeling disgraced. So even though you're the one scaring them, you're also the one helping them. Come on, bro. I know how badly you want to go to Korea.”

“I don't know, man. I'll think about it.”

“Fine. I'll leave the application form right here on the table. I'm heading back home to sleep. I woke up early just to get this form for you. I only got seven hours of sleep. Gosh!” He then left while slamming the door. Dramatic as always, but Michael always knows how to get me to do things his way. I picked up the application form and grabbed a pen.

“Should I really do this?” I wondered aloud,

“Yes, you should.”

“What the heck, Michael!” He had walked around the house to the living room window, “Go home.”

“Yeah, yeah. Make sure to fill it out! You'll thank me for this.”

“I got it. Go home.”

“Haha. Okay. Michael out.” Gosh that guy. Now let's see,

“Name: Stephen Pebbles, Birthday...” I had begun to fill out the application form. I guess I really am doing this. But Michael's right, I really do need the money.

 

*         *         *

 

Ring Ring- V V V V V I DOUBLE X- “Hello?”

“Good afternoon. Is this Mr. Pebbles?”

“Yes, this is Stephen.”

“Well Stephen, I've got great news! You're hired to work at Double Take's Haunted House, Ouuuuuuu~”

“That is great news!”

“That's right, son. We've heard interesting things about you. So, I'll need you to come by two times this week for your training. How's Friday and Saturday for you?”

“That's good. I'll see you then, sir.” And with that I hung up the phone. That's great! I got hired so easily! I'm now officially a part-time, employed student.