His Cologne

Morning Routine

"OH SEHUN!" You hollered up the stairs, waiting for a response. None came. You groaned.

"I'm sorry, Juhee dear." You looked over at Sehun's mother, who was standing in the doorframe of the kitchen, putting on her wristwatch. "He's probably not up yet...you know how he is," she added with a small sigh. A little too well for my liking, you thought.

"Feel free to grab some snacks for school. I made your favourite chocolate chip cookies, it's there somewhere." Mrs. Oh waved vaguely at the cluttered kitchen counter with one hand, rummaging through her bag with the other. "Ah, here are my keys. I really have to head to work," she said with an apologetic look, "but I'm sure you can handle him pretty well by now."

You smiled brightly, waving as she walked purposefully out of the door. The door clicked shut. You whirled around and stomped up the stairs furiously, armed with a scowl. "I swear, if you're up and just messing with me…"

Your mother was away for the week, leaving you without transportation for school. You lived too far to be on the bus route, and no way were you going to sacrifice a precious twenty minutes of sleep to walk to school.

Sehun had been your childhood friend and neighbour for as long as you could remember.  So naturally, by your mother's recommendation (read: insistence), you were riding with him this week.

You burst through Sehun's bedroom door, half expecting him to be awake. He was, unfortunately, not.

"YAH!" You yelled in disbelief and indignation, storming over to his bed. The guy was still soundly asleep.

"Oh. Se. Hun. Get your lazy out of bed! We have 20 minutes to get to school!" You growled, shaking him violently. He grunted, snuggling deeper into his blanket. You glowered at him. But he, of course, remained blissfully unaware.

Time for Plan B.

You sat on the edge of his bed and cleared your throat.

"Sehunnie…" You crooned, his cheek with the back of your hand. He cracked his eyes open a tiny bit.

"Juhee?! What the hell!" Sehun croaked, jolting straight up. The blanket fell from his body and to your dismay, he was shirtless. You scrambled off the bed in shock, grabbing the back of his chair. But you missed it and sent a stack of books clattering to the floor instead.

"Why are you half-?!" You squawked incredulously.

"Why are you in my room?" Sehun retorted back as he extracted his legs from his blanket, hanging them over the spot where you sat moments ago. He stretched his neck, making his already prominent collarbones stand out even further. You averted your eyes quickly, appalled that you even considered the possibility of finding Oh Sehun's collarbones a turn-on.

Brushing your hands on the front of your school uniform, you glanced at your watch. "You idiot, we only have 17 minutes left! Go get ready!"

Sehun rose from his bed reluctantly and headed toward his bathroom. "You act like you've never seen me shirtless before," he muttered as he trudged past you.

"We were kids, jerk. That was different." You snapped, even as your cheeks reddened against your will.

"Oh?" Sehun leaned out of the bathroom, bringing his shirtless upper body into full view again. You crossed your arms as you stared him in the eye, taking extra care not to drop your gaze downwards. "How is it different?" He asked with a smirk as he stepped out of the bathroom, moving deliberately towards you. Instinctively, you backed away.

Sehun planted an arm on his waist, hip cocked out as he waited for your reply. You opened your mouth, hoping for a clever response to make its way out, but none came. Instead, you checked your watch again. "Fifteen minutes. Fifteen minutes, and I'm taking your keys and ditching you."

Sehun shuffled back into the bathroom, closing the door. You flopped onto his bed, propping your arms on his pillow. After eight minutes of playing Anipang, you began to get restless. Getting up, you started to wander around the room.

You picked up a framed photograph from the bedside table. A pair of seven-year-olds sat scooping sand into a bucket with their pudgy arms. You smiled as you remembered that summer trip to the beach, back when Sehun wasn't so much taller than you. And didn't know as many words to fire back at you.

Moments after the picture was taken, Sehun had thrown sand at your face, stinging your eyes and making you cry. Mrs. Oh had punished him by keeping him in the beach house. That evening, you brought him the best seashell you picked and gave him half a cup of your ice cream. Sehun had washed and kept both.

The cup sat on his dresser now, faded and yellowed, containing the seashell and a bunch of ear studs. You walked over. There wasn't much else on the dresser besides a few bottles of cologne, deodorant and some BB cream. You started to test the colognes.

Pulling the cap off a bottle, you sniffed it carefully. You couldn't smell anything, so you stuck your nose closer and inhaled deeply. The scent shot straight up your nose. Sneezing, gasping and coughing simultaneously, you involuntarily let go of the bottle cap. It fell to the ground with a clank as Sehun emerged from the bathroom.

"What's going on?" He asked suspiciously. He narrowed his eyes at the sight of you on the ground, crawling around in search for the cap. You reached in the crack between the dresser and the wall.

"Nothing~" You sang, grinning sheepishly as you rose with the cap in your hand. Casually, you began to screw it back on the bottle. Sehun grabbed the bottle from you, clicking his tongue impatiently.

"I need that." He said, shooting you a look. You leaned against the dresser, watching as he spritzed cologne on his wrists. In a practiced manner, he rubbed it behind his ears and on his neck. He caught your eye and you looked away quickly. You pretended to study the beach picture, your eyes tracing the swimsuit you wore—bright green with yellow daisies.

Suddenly, Sehun leaned in, reaching his arm around you to put the bottle of cologne back on the dresser. Much to your disapproval, your heart fluttered. You blinked nervously as Sehun shuffled over to his closet to grab his jacket.

"Juhee? You okay?" Sehun stood in front of you again, a bit too close for comfort. You glanced up at him. He was shrugging on his jacket, eyeing you with an unreadable expression. You did your best to ignore the buffalo stampede currently occurring in your stomach. /cough roll like a buffalo cough/

Just then, you noticed Sehun's popped collar and a few buttons he had missed. "You took so much time, you could have at least dressed properly..." You scoffed, trying to ease back into a bantering tone. A memory from elementary school flickered in your mind.

Lunch break. You were sipping on strawberry milk, trying to keep your balance as you walked along the narrow ledge which framed the shrubs along the school wall. The playground came into view, and Sehun was sitting on the end of the slide, looking forlorn.

"Sehun-ah! Class is starting soon, let's go!" you called out. Sehun stood up, looking all sweaty and scruffy. You paused as you noticed a bruise and scrapes on his scrawny elbows.

"Did the boys push you off the swing again? I'm going to tell the teacher!" you exclaimed crossly. You gestured for Sehun, straightening his collar and dusting him down. You handed him your strawberry milk. "Let's go."

You smiled to yourself now as you reached up instinctively to smooth Sehun's collar.

"What are you smiling at?" You shook your head, proceeding to fix the buttons. A waft of Sehun's cologne caught your nose. You shook your head more vigorously, trying not to notice the beat that your heart had skipped.

For some reason, the buttoning seemed to be taking forever, but Sehun didn't pull away.

Suddenly, a hand brushed your face. You looked up at Sehun, feeling your eyes widen together with his.

"There was a... um, a strand of hair—" Sehun muttered, flustered. He held your gaze, searchingly.

You nodded. A beat of silence passed.

You checked your watch. Five minutes left.

"Let's go."

a/n: And that's the end? Haha there's rather an obvious cliffhanger so I guess the 'real' ending is to your imagination~ Look forward to more uploads at more regular intervals from now since school has started and I can't really go anywhere hahaha. Of course check out the rest of my friend Renea's writing. Until next time!~ 

Also do you guys like gif insertions in the text or no? I like to add them to some of the works I upload but I can also see how they can be distracting to readers. Leave me a comment!~