Short Story

What My Contract Says

It was supposed to be only 2 years. Just 2 years. But another year passed, and another year until this day came. She's back in Korea to train young fighters. She now owns part of Road FC . 

I  was just 20 when I made a promise to the girl I love that I will be ready when I am 22, just after my contract expires. But maybe she got mad. She left Korea to pursue her career in UFC. She trained in the states for 2 years before she had her first UFC fight. I never heard from her on those 2 years. Even her former promoter, Road FC kept it mum and never even leaked anything to the media. It was just after 2 years of silently training in the States that I heard a news on TV. It was a huge news in all of Korea. By that time, my contract with JYP not allowing me to date just expired. For those two years I was a faithful man to her. Though I never heard anything from her, my heart and my mind always keeps on saying her name. I was so happy when the news broke. A Korean Fighter, former Road FC fighter is set to debut her first match in the United States. When she won fight after fights, she made all of Korea proud. She made me proud. I did everything I could to talk to her. I sent emails to her promoter, to her manager and up to the point of coming to the states but without any luck, I missed every chance to see her. 

The only thing that I held on to was the promise we made. Five years ago, we had this little trip with Got7 that I planned. I heard she went to the beaches southeast with a friend. I am so in love with her that I cant stand a day not seeing her or even hearing her deep raspy voice. Oh, that voice never fails to give me goose bumps whenever I hear her speak. So we went there and made a "vacation trip" as an excuse to our company president JYP. I found her there through the help of her friend she's with. I cant forget her reaction when I surprised her at the hotel lobby. She was wearing a cute blue 2-piece bikini, leaning on the wooden railings. I went to her and hugged her from behind and kissed her shoulder. Whenever I did that before, she would grabbed and pull me but as time passed, she got used to it. This time she turned to me and smiled at me, "Jackson!" She said. Then I planted a lingering kiss on her lips. That was a long lingering kiss. We just realized that everyone were staring at us when I heard my boys' laughter when JB yelled "get a room!".

We kept our relationship for quite a long time. There was no way we're going to reveal it on public. Only our closest friends knew about our relationship. Just like any other lovers we had our fair share of petty fights, secret dates and intimacy. Later that night we shared the intimate part of our relationship. Of course as planned, we shared a room. That night was the most memorable night of my life. It was away from the eyes of the media, away from everyone in Korea. That night, Gayeon is mine, all mine. We never had to worry about anything. Just the two of us. Our bodies became one in the most intimate and romantic way. That cliche of making love after a couple of glasses of wine and chocolates and that moonlight as the only light that goes through the glass doors. I adored Gayeon, her body, her mind, her soul. I adored everything about her. She is mine and I am hers. 

The following day my friends helped me set up a little ceremony at the balcony of our suite. They hired a fake priest, an employee of the hotel that does all these fake ceremonies for fun, to bless our little wedding. It wasn't a real wedding since we cant marry at that time but I was planning to marry her someday and it was a time for me to show her my sincerity and to warn her that she's not allowed to date anyone but me because she is mine. 

Gayeon was dressed in white and I wore that decent white summer shirt. She's pretty with that little flower on her hair. She is the prettiest girl I've ever met. That day we vowed to love each other and wait till both of us are ready to be married.

When we came back to Seoul, things started to change. It was my fault in some ways. People started to link me to different girls. They made up stories of me being with a girl and saying that I am secretly seeing her. The worst thing was, producers from different variety shows invites me and that girl to their shows to increase viewership. My management is fine with it and since I'm just starting a career, I had no voice. I was worried with Gayeon. She refused to see me or talk to me after several news spread that I was secretly seeing the other girl. 

Then a month passed and she is having a match. We hardly talk. I was busy with my group's promotions and she was busy training, and maybe mad at me. She was never that sensitive before. I was used to being in the headlines of news linking me to several girls but she was never jealous. After our fake wedding -I refuse to call it fake- she started to become more sensitive and aloof. Then the most dreaded part of our relationship came. 

The day of her match came. My presence in her matches were never necessary to avoid gossips. That day I watched at home with other Got7 members. When she came out to make her walk, she was very pale and thin. Her hair was cornrow braided, her shirt was my oversized shirt (it made me smile), when she took of her shirt, she is thin. She lost a lot of weight in just weeks of not seeing her. 

Her game was good. It was her ticket to UFC. She ended the game as the victor in two minutes and thirty nine second of the first round via arm bar submission. I was screaming in joy of seeing my pale and weak looking baby love winning her match. Just after her hand was raised by the referee, she went to her coach and whispered. She was clenching her fist that was pressed in . Her eyes were shut closed and her other hand in her forehead. Just before she passed out, her coach cut the supposedly interview for her to rest. 

She was at the hospital for days. I didn't get to see her that often since the place is crowded with people. She told me she overdid her training and that she fainted because of it. Before I left she told me one thing that I could still remember clearly until now. "I love you, please remember that." She said after I kissed her. "I love you baby." I answered. That was the last time I saw her. That night she left Seoul. She left Korea. She left me. 

Just days ago I received a call. A voice that I could never forget even if I die. It was Gayeon, informing me of her arrival. I was supposed to be mad at her but I cant remember any reason to get mad. "You never called me." The only thing I asked.

"I didn't want to bother you. You were starting your career." She said.

"But we made a promise." I said. 

"I kept that promise." She answered. "I don't want to bother you so I left. It wont help both our careers if I stayed." She added.

"I don't get it!" I asked. "Do you still love me? Coz I still do." As said. I wont let this day pass again.

"Does your contract allows you to date now?" She asked.

"My contract allows me to start a family." I said sarcastically. That contract changed my life. I almost lost her.

"Good. Is it too much if I ask you to pick me up at the airport?" She asked.

"I'll even bring you flowers." I answered. Flowers and anything that she wants as long as I get to see her. 

"Okay. I brought you something." She said. "I'll see you then." She said and without a word she hung up.

And now here I am. Waiting at the airport for her arrival. I brought her flowers. Flowers were never a thing for my Gayeon. But who knows she might like these now. I look stupid waiting for every flights coming from Los Angeles. There were reporters coming to me asking me who I was waiting for. I didn't answer anyone. Part of me is scared of meeting her again and part of me is so excited. My only excuse to these reporters would be, i was waiting for a family.

Then the Los Angeles flight landed. I was staring intently at the automatic glass door. Then after a few minutes, a familiar face flashed. She was gorgeous. She never changed. Her clothes did changed but her face is still the same. The same Gayeon that I loved. She looked more mature than before but her hair is still dark. Her skin still tan. She was wearing a blue trench coat. Her eyes are searching the place. Then I walked towards her. She smiled at me when I handed her a bouquet of flowers. 

"Thank you." She said to me. 

"Welcome back." I told her. 

"Oh, I brought a surprise." She said. Oh! The surprise she told me. "I hope your contract does not prohibit a little distraction in your life." She said. 

My jaw dropped when a little boy with a plastic sword came out of nowhere. "Mommy she poked my heart." The little boy started to cry. 

"Alia..." Gayeon said looking at the little girl who looked like a little version of her.

"Sorry." The little girl told her sobbing brother. 

"What? Is the meaning of this?" I was confused with the whole thing. Why would she wanted me to pick her up and she never told me she had babies. Urrrgghhh! What is wrong with her?

"Oh sorry Jackson, I hope its not in your contract." She apologized again as she lifted the little crying boy. "Alia could you please-"

"Hi I'm Alia Wang, you must be dad." The very talkative little girl in front of me said. "And that crybaby is my twin brother Jason." 

"You poked my heart." The little boy kept on sobbing. While me? I was shocked. I cant even think straight. I felt the same when I first met Gayeon. 

"I never want to bother you. I was pregnant my last fight."

"Why didn't you tell me." I asked. "When did you know you're pregnant?" 

"My mood changed. I got jealous of all the girls around you. I never want to see your face nor your voice. I began to crave for weird foods and hated your face." She said looking disgusted as she reminisce the past.

"Why not tell me?"

"You worked hard Jackson. You deserve success." She said. 

Tears began to flow from my eyes. Even on those times that she needs me, she was thinking of my welfare. 

"Dad?" 

I looked at the little girl. My blood and flesh. Alia.

"High five!" She said. And I answered it. I bent down to reach her. I looked at her face. She looks exactly like Gayeon but she has my charms. I kissed her cheeks and I couldn't stop my tears from falling. "Daddy, don't cry!" She told me. She even wiped my tears with her tiny hands. "You're just like Jason. He cries a lot you know." She said. I hugged her tightly.

Then I saw little Jason looking at me. He was his thumb as he looked at me. His eyes still red from crying. I took her from Gayeon's arms and kissed him. Good Lord, he looks like me when I was little. But he is just a shy little boy. He showed me his plastic sword. "Mommy told us a lot about you." He said.

I hugged my two kids tightly. I put down the kids and with tears in my eyes I hugged Gayeon tightly. I placed her face between my palms and i saw her cry for the first time.

"I'm sorry I didn't want to bother you." She said.

"Shhhhh. Thank you. Thank you!" Then i kissed her lips. I missed it so much! The flowers I gave her was nothing compared to what she brought me.

Then shutterbugs interrupt our mini reunion. "Jackson, what is the meaning of this?" One reporter asked.

"Why are you with Song Gayeon?" Another asked.

"And you have kids here. Tell us what happened." Another one asked.

"Lets say, my contract never said that I'm not allowed to have a family." I answered. "This is my family."