Romeo (And Juliet)

The Science of Love, Romeo and Juliet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                Choi Nana has always been the romantic. She likes roses, rings, love songs and sweet nothings. She wants to fall in love. She wants to have a constant experience of flushing cheeks, sweaty palms because of nervousness and feel her heart to race until she can’t breathe anymore. She wants to know how having butterflies in her stomach feels like. She wishes to meet her prince charming in the most unexpected moment and stare him in the eye before kissing him full on the mouth.

“Just like in the books you read and the movies you watch.” Her dormmate, Soojung comments.

Nana rolls her eyes in reply. Sometimes, she tries not to bother giving a reply to what Soojung says because she will not understand either way; no one just seems to understand her. Is it too hard to let her dream?

“Would I rather dream to end up like my parents then?” Nana hissed then gets up from the couch. She left out the part where she thinks, or maybe like you? She understands that Soojung got her heart broken by a certain guy named Sehun but she just won’t let her bitterness get the best of her. She has never allowed anything to make her dreams seem like… just dreams.

“That’s not what I’m saying Nana.” Soojung defensively says.

“What I meant is, love is not all rainbows and unicorns. Having those kinds of expectations will end up getting you hurt.” She adds, trying to persuade Nana to stop being delusional about what love is. She’s her dormmate and friend; she just doesn’t want Nana to get hurt.

“Don’t worry about me Soojung. Let my dreams be and let me be.” She answers while walking towards the kitchen to grab a glass of water.

“Fine. I’ll stop being a bubble popper.” Soojung sighs as she sits down on the stool. “Should we eat?” she hums.

“I’ll be going out. I have to buy Shakespeare’s book so; you can eat on your own. I’m going to eat out after.” Nana informed her and Soojung pouts. She doesn’t know how to cook and with Nana out, she’ll have to settle for instant noodles. She can call for delivery but then again, she is saving up for that bag she saw on the mall the other day.

“I’ll be back right after.” Nana says before heading towards the door. She wears her beanie and sneakers, getting ready to get out. She grabs her bag, slings it on her shoulder and waves Soojung a proper goodbye.

 

It is cold. Nana hugs herself in poor attempt to warm up against the cold city breeze. If only she has someone to hold hands with, she sighs. She’s turning 20 next month and she’s still yet to experience the magic of love. She’s getting impatient. Why is her true love taking so long to arrive?

A few minutes more of walking and she finally arrives at the bookstore where she saw Shakespeare’s classic Romeo and Juliet a.k.a the book that all romanticist wants to have. She carefully enters the store and there are only two or three people inside, the rest of the chairs are left unoccupied. She purses her lips as she debates herself whether she should read here first or not. The temptation is unstoppable so she decides to read Romeo and Juliet for the nth time here first before getting something to eat. She isn’t that hungry anyways.

She removes her beanie and goes through the bookshelves to get the book. She wanders around a little more, thinking to buy Jane Austen’s books as well before choosing where to read.

Since there aren’t much people inside, she has a lot of choices but she opts to sit on the edge near the window. She sits down, silently opens the book and starts reading.

 

Two households, both alike in dignity,

In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,

From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,

Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.

From forth the fatal loins of these two foes

A pair of star-crossed lovers take-

 

She reads the chorus loudly in her head, enjoying the part of ‘star-crossed lovers’ more than she should before she cuts herself and places her book down on the table. On the seat just in front of her, is a young man probably of same age as her. A young handsome man at that.

“Romeo and Juliet.” The handsome man says, almost sounding soft. He leans on the back of his chair with eyes that seems to be staring though Nana’s soul. His hair is messy as if he just woke up from a nap. He has tanned skin that contrasts the falling snow outside that she sees through the window. He’s wearing a faint but certainly amused smile on his lips and Nana thought he’s perfect already.

“Uhm… yeah.” Is all Nana can say. She still has to learn how to control herself in front of handsome men. It’s really unfair though, some people doesn’t even have to put effort into being perfect while she looks like a mutated potato.

Still pouting about how the world is unjust, she starts to wonder, why this man is sitting with the same table as her if there is far too many empty seats.

“Do you… need anything?” She queries unable to keep a steady eye contact. The man is still looking at her with an amused gaze.

“Just thought it would be fun to talk to someone who likes Romeo and Juliet.” He answers with a slight nod. He reaches up and runs his hands through his hair and Nana suddenly has the strong urge to comb the man’s hair with her own fingers. It just seems so soft.

“So, uh… you like Romeo and Juliet too?”

All the reply she got is laughter. It isn’t loud, it fact it is a soft laughter that reverberated across the small bookstore. Nana thinks that he sounds amazing and maybe she doesn’t think that. Maybe that’s just how it is.

“Did I say something funny?” She asks seconds later. Her eyes squinted as if she will be able to get answers through that.

“Oh no.” He replies after he clears his throat, regaining control over his laughter which Nana still doesn’t understand.

She’s about to ask, only to be cut off, “Then wh-“

“I just found liking Romeo and Juliet… ridiculous. So, I laughed.” The man shrugs as he answers with an indifferent tone.

Nana can’t stop the frown that formed on her face when she heard the word ridiculous, “Why is it ridiculous? It’s one of the best romantic stories ever written.” She informs almost huffing.

It somehow looks like the man is agreeing when he nods his head but just when Nana is about to show a triumphant smile, “Tragic. Don’t forget that.” He answers.

“And also, stupid. Insanely ludicrous, I’d say.” He adds then he reaches over to tap the hard cover of the book in Nana’s hands.

Angry is an understatement of what Nana feels. She’s boiling red because of rage. How can this random stranger who she does not know suddenly sit at the same table as her inside an empty library and insult her favorite book?! This is absurd.

“Are you saying love is foolish?” she narrows her eyes, scrutinizing the annoying man.

“You are twisting my words. That is not what I said.” Is the man’s response before he made an audible click of the tongue.

As if Nana is analyzing him, she leans in, “But that is what you were implying.”

“Ah of course not.” He pulls the book out of Nana’s hand as he continues, “I’m just saying that Romeo and Juliet are ridiculous people.”

“They are not!” she angrily retorts back. “They are in love.” Her voice almost sounded weak and it almost made the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter