Vancouver

Wait For Me

“Moccachino flavour with orange...and mint, please,”

Summer. One season, million story. The time when the true cliche romantic story-line which was severely brought up by Korean drama started. Season of visiting new places, meeting new faces and trying new challenges. The months which have been waited by all people in all ages; elders, youngsters, highschoolers, collegers, even workers. The only time they can clearly see sun with all its flaws without getting hurt, particularly have fun without catching cold and frequently playing around without afraid of getting slipped.

Yes, summer. The only reason that brought him back here, to his lovely second home; Vancouver. He used to live here for a year before his family moved out to Kamloops, a small city in the uptown of British Columbia which he doesn't give love to as much as Vancouver.

He’s in the same ice cream store in one of Vancouver Downtown’s intersection. The same store he went to for every summer in past five years with the same atmosphere tags along. Except for the fact that he has someone in company this year.

“Brat, don’t you think that your taste has just gone overboard?” Kim Jinhwan, the one who always nags at the younger’s taste, just starts nagging again. It’s the first time for him to visit Vancouver despite the fact that the city is only 4 hours driving from his hometown, Seattle.

“Hyung, shikkeuro!”

Araseo, araseo. I’ll just shut myself. Well, but, no gorilla dance in Canada Place after this, just, no,”

He hissed at Jinhwan’s words and picks some random magazine, seems the very old ones, on the rack to read.

“Kim Hanbin! Don’t you dare to divert your attention when I talk to you!”

“Hyuuuung, first of all, stop nagging at me like I’m an eleven. You make me hard to get a girl. Second, it’s not like next year I’m visiting this place again. Maybe we’re going to be imprisoned in Seoul like, for the rest of our lives, after this? Let me enjoy this one before we’re going,”

Yes, Seoul.

Even though they are Koreans, the word ‘Seoul’ itself seems unfamiliar and like another world for them. Hanbin and Jinhwan just got casted in one of the most anticipated company in South Korea, YG Entertainment. It’s their dreams since elementary school to sing in front of thousand people, to compose songs together and shake the world, to be able to stand hand in hand on massive stage with fireworks and fans’ cheers on. Even though it’s early for dreaming such things, even though they seem not to well understand of how hard and harsh the trainee days will be, they’re never tired of dreaming.

“You start talking about girl now, huh? Wondering where the innocent Kim Hanbin has gone,” his smirk rises, making the latter rolls his eyes in annoyance, “Oh, well, talking ‘bout girl, my mother’s friend’s daughter is going to Vancouver tomorrow. My mother asked me to keep her in company but I need to settle things with Bobby in Kansas tomorrow,”

“Then?” a bad feeling starts growing in Hanbin’s mind.

“That’s why I meet you!”

“Okay, thank you for the information, Jinhwan ssi. Good luck for that,” he scoops his ice cream and put it into Jinhwan’s mouth to stop the lad from talking because Hanbin surely knows where the conversation is going to continue.

“N-noooo! , it’s very cold!” he spits, getting a disgust look as response from Hanbin, “I need your help. Please pick her in Richmond and take her around Vancouver! My mother will ground me if I’m not getting replacement,”

“I do not love you that much so it’s gonna be fun to see you being grounded, hyung,” Hanbin shrugged his shoulders, kept his eyes on the magazine. Not showing any interest of whatever Kim Jinhwan said.

“This boy! I’m not going to take care of you in Seoul!”

“I can take care of myself,”

 “I’m not going to talk to you during our trainee days and for the rest of our lives!”

“Sounds good,”

“I’m not going to give you money during our stay in Seoul!”

“Who do you think you are?”

“I’m not going to give you money even if you worship me and say that you’re almost dying from starving!”

“I don’t care,”

“I’m gonna steal your money!”

“Fine! Okay! OKAY! Stop it! Araseo, araseo, araseo. I’ll take her! What’s her name?”

“Did I finally melt your heart that you changed a heart that fast?” Jinhwan grins.

“It’s just that you’re really annoying. Hurry up before I change my mind!”

“Okay—okay! Don’t be so scary, Kim Hanbin. Her name is Jung Nanna. Call her whatever you want,”

“Like...brat?” he said playfully, making Jinhwan spits out the ice cream and throws a glare to the younger, “Yah!”

“You said I can call her whatever I want, tho,”

 

-xxxx-

 

He sighs for nth time in last thirty minutes, waiting for the guest while holding placard with the guest’s name: Jung Nanna written in latin and hangul on it. His legs start getting cramp and his knees seem to give up. The guest should’ve came about twenty minutes ago, but Hanbin has no idea why the guest has not shown up. He was going to take a break and sip a cup in Starbucks when he realized that he was being surrounded by other placard holders. Heck, at this rate, he starts questioning what is the point of getting him waiting like this? Is Jinhwan’s friend a baby that she cannot read directions and just take Skytrain to her house? Is she a grandma? Is she dyslexia? Why can she just be on her own and stop ordering another people around? Damn, and the crowd is even getting nonsense as the speaker in Vancouver International Airport announces that passengers from Seoul has just landed.

 

“Hanbin-ah!” a girl called his name, making him awake from his thought. He gives a look to the one who just called her, then bowed politely, “..annyeonghaseyo,”

“Aigoo, you’re growing so well,” the girl named Jung Nanna ruffles his hair and chuckles, “..uh, what? You’re even getting taller now! It’s a cheat!”she chuckles again, leaving Hanbin in a daze.

Who’s this girl seriously? She ruffles his hair, calls him informally and even is comfortable to be around him like they’ve known for years—or maybe this girl is simply just a girl he knew from his previous life? Aish—even the girl doesn’t reply his polite greeting. Is she trying to be close to Hanbin? She fails, actually. Because he’s geting uncomfortable and awkward toward her.

“Why are you being silent, Hanbin-ah? Don’t you say that you forgot who I am?” she pouts then punch Hanbin’s shoulder playfully. Playfully, but not lack of strength which makes Hanbin lightly groans in return. Her punch reminds him of something, the same punch he got three years ago. The only girl who can punch him this way and leave him in pain.

“N—no way!” his eyes get widened while the girl only gives him a look with slight smirk, “..yah! What are you realizing just now?”

“Are you, well, no way, no way, no way! Jung Li Na?” he points out the girl bluntly then laughs in a sigh for the sake of his dummy act, “...yah, jeooongmal. Impossible. That’s why Jinhwan hyung forced me to pick you, huh? You should’ve been the one that would ground him if I didn’t pick you,”

“Do I always need to punch to make you understand, Kim?” she still stands there with her smirk and hands crossed in front of chest to sign her win over Kim Hanbin for nth time. The Kim-boy can only express a wide smile as any words are not fitting anything for this situation, and it doesn’t take more seconds for him to embrace her in a hug and bury him with her warmth.

“Really, I’ve missed you,”