Final

But You Didn't
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hi wifey, it's me. Park Chanyeol" 

Ahreum just woke up and groggily rubbed her eyes. She searched her phone underneath her pillow where she would always place it but grazed her hand on something else instead. It was Chanyeol's video camera.

Sitting up straight in an Indian sit, she pressed a button to switch it on. It displayed a video, the only video in his camera. She heaved a deep breath before pressing the play button.

"Hi wifey, it's me. Park Chanyeol"

Ahreum closed her eyes, she couldn't see his happy face when she is feeling sad. He specifically told her to only watch this if she wants to be happy.

She regretted the way she treated her husband. Chanyeol was a great guy, he deserved way more than what she gave him. Yet he still did not complain and was patient with her all throughout. Ahreum pressed play when she was finally composed, maybe seeing the video one more time wouldn't hurt.

Ahreum wandered her eyes on the video, fixating her gaze on the boy who wore a goofy grin and was fixing his bangs in front of the camera. Chanyeol would always go blank before speaking, it was almost as if it was planned beforehand.

The way his dimple would show on the left side of his face, how stupid he looks whenever he smiles so brightly or how he would always act so sweet with her - she hated them.  

"How do I start.." Chanyeol was tapping his chin in front of the camera, he looked so confused. "Happy 100 Day Anniversary baby!" Chanyeol suddenly beamed with his love voice. The way he said those words were very sincere and happy. It reminded Ahreum on how much he loved her.

"I know how you hate it when I call you baby but just let me be for this once okay?" His deep voice gives her shivers. "You know how much of a cheap man I am so unfortunately, I don't have any extravagant gifts for you on this special day." Chanyeol looks at the camera with apologetic eyes.

"Remember when you gave me this camera?" Chanyeol stood up and left to get the video camera Ahreum gave him on his birthday. "It's very special to me because you gave it. I keep it with me every single day" Chanyeol chuckled and shook the camera. 

"I took a lot of good vids with this camera. I compiled them all so it will be one looong video. I hope you like it" Chanyeol waved and the video turned black followed by a countdown. 3,2...1

A video of Ahreum was playing, she was doing paperworks in their living room and Chanyeol was playing with her. "Ahreum-ah~ Say 'Hi' to the camera!" Chanyeol cooed but was ignored by the girl who wasn't even disturbed by the slightest bit.

Chanyeol placed the camera on the table, capturing both of their faces in the video. "Don't ignore meee" Chanyeol was poking her and began doing some crazy dance moves to get his wifey's attention. 

Next was a video of Ahreum trying to hit the camera when Chanyeol would pull it close to her. "Park Chanyeol put that down this instant!" Ahreum shouted and the video died with Chanyeol's laughing echoing through the end.

A lot of videos followed after that. Some were shots of her doing her own things like cooking with her back profile in display, writing on papers, doing her makeup or even listening to music. Chanyeol enjoyed filming his wife very much. It was because he would look back at them whenever he misses her.

2 years ago..

2003, October 13th.,

The married couple was walking down the streets of Gangnam with their hands interlocked - more like Chanyeol grasping hers with Ahreum not caring and just letting him do so.

Chanyeol was very happy that day because Ahreum had agreed to his offer of bringing her out to go shopping. It was one of those random days wherein he would suggest something to do and Ahreum would just simply agree.

While they were walking, Chanyeol noticed Ahreum looking at something from afar. She was looking at a rillakkuma stuff toy from a toy shop. He found it adorably cute of her so he decided to waste no time and capture the moment. 

Chanyeol walked closer to where she was standing, she was still looking at the toy. The only time she removed her eyes from the toy was when Chanyeol coughed loudly, tearing her attention away from the little toy shop.

"Do you want that?" Chanyeol asked while holding both of her hands. She didn't hold them back nor protested about it so Chanyeol thought that she didn't mind. Ahreum softly shook her head at him, her eyes filled with an unreadable expression. 

"Let's eat" She suggested and Chanyeol would only nod. They went to a McDonald's branch nearby and ate lunch. "You can wait here, I'll just buy something really quick" Chanyeol asked her permission before leaving her. Ahreum slightly tilted her head and nod.

Chanyeol ran as fast as he could, bumping into some bypassers along the way. He went inside the toy shop that Ahreum was looking at earlier. He walked to the counter to buy the bear that was displayed outside. 

"How much does that toy cost?" Chanyeol fished his wallet out, checking his savings and silently praying that it was enough for the small toy. "That would be  ₩30,000 sir" The lady said and Chanyeol frowned as he only have ₩20,000 in his wallet. 

"Can you give me a discount? I only have ₩20,000 and I would like to buy this for my wife" Chanyeol embarrasedly asked while rubbing his nape. "Since you're handsome and you look like a good husband, okay" The kind lady said and Chanyeol handed her the money with a grateful heart.

"Thank you so much" Chanyeol bowed before leaving the store. When he returned to the fast food chain, Ahreum was unpatiently tapping her foot on the ground. "Let's go home" She said and Chanyeol nodded. He attempted to hold her hand but she was walking too fast so he pushed the thought aside.

The drive back home was silent as usual but he knew that she wasn't in the mood anymore. Chanyeol would occasionally steal glances at her when there was a stop light, observing her every move. She was just staring outside the window the whole time.

Chanyeol carried all the shopping bags inside while Ahreum went to change. She had already fallen asleep when Chanyeol was filming himself.

"I bought you the toy you wanted" Chanyeol cheekily grinned while waving the toy in the air. "I hope this makes you happy" He smiled and tip-toed his way to your bed, not wanting to wake you up. He placed the toy beside your pillow and removed the frays of her hair away from her sleeping face.

He gave Ahreum a chaste, lingering kiss on the forehead. "Sleep well wifey" he whispered before pulling the blanket up to her neck. He didn't want to leave Ahreum just yet so he grabbed your chair from the study table and rested on his arms while holding onto her hand. 

Chanyeol slowly drifted to sleep while lightly grasping his huge hand over her small one. 

Ahreum woke up the next day with Chanyeol's hand on top of hers. Ahreum stared at her husband who was softly snoring while resting his head on his arm. "Stupid boy, he could've just slept next to me" Ahreum thought before slowly parting their hands.

"Wake up" She lightly patted his arm, getting zero response from the sleeping giant. "Yah" Ahreum smacked his head and Chanyeol shot up almost immediately. "Oh, I must've fallen asleep, sorry" Chanyeol rubbed his eyes groggily and stretched his body.

Ahreum didn't say anything else instead, she got up and quietly headed towards the bathroom. Chanyeol mumbled a "Good Morning" at his wife before she could close the door. Ahreum shook her head with a smile and started showering.

The reason why she was always quiet around Chanyeol is because she doesn't want to be attached to anyone. Marriage alone is already a big improvement and that was it, she didn't need any kind of affection from anyone.

What Chanyeol didn't know was that Ahreum has con heart disease. Ahreum had it since she was seventeen but begged her parents not to reveal it to anyone, even to Chanyeol. She didn't want to hear their endless comfort talks and sympathy - she didn't need them.

You can say that she suffers from heart failure. She's been fighting with it for about a good five years now and she's been taking medications. There were times were the symptoms would occur like that one time when she participated in a fun run event that almost knocked the life and air out of her.

Today was one of the days wherein she needed to go to the hospital for her monthly check-up. Ahreum went out of the bathroom after a quick shower only to be greeted by a sleeping Chanyeol. 

Ahreum didn't know why but she had the urge to suddenly climb back to bed and sleep beside him. Chanyeol looked like a cuddly bear that she wanted to hug every night.

She could hear his soft snores and even breathing. Ahreum fixed some pieces of his hair that was covering his face, brushing them up so she could get a better view of his face. Only now did she notice how handsome he was. 

Walking to their kitchen, she made some oatmeal for her and Chanyeol. Since he bought the bear that she really liked, she thought that it was just right to make it up to him in some way.

She ate by herself and the faint volume of today's news was playing in the background. 'So this is what it feels like' She never joined him for breakfast and they rarely eat together. She was busy with her work and always had to leave early morning. Chanyeol must've felt so sad in the mornings.

After eating, she cleaned her plates and grabbed her coat from the rack. "Wifey, were you leaving?" Chanyeol hated it when he would see her near the door. Ahreum froze and nod her head up and down "I have to meet a friend" Pft more like an old physician "Oh. Thank you for the porridge" Chanyeol said.

"But it's Saturday and there's no work" The twenty-three year old whined. "Can't you cancel it and spend the day to cuddle with me?" Chanyeol draped his strong arms around Ahreum's waist, he was planning on holding her so she won't go.

As much as she would secretly want to, she had to see her physician today. She was feeling a little sluggish lately. "I have to go though. I'll be back soon" Ahreum escaped from the childish boy who frowned at the fact that she was leaving him, again.

"Okay" Chanyeol trusted Ahreum very much and he knew that she would be back. "Did you like my gift?" He asked with that charming grin of his "Y-yeah" Ahreum stuttered. "Aigoo I knew it" Chanyeol grabbed both of her cheeks and gave them a light pinch. "Be careful okay?" Ahreum nodded and left.

"It's getting worse, Ahreum-ah" 

Ahreum sat back up upon hearing the bad news. "How bad?" Ahreum can feel the tears that were threatening to fall. This can't be happening, not when she was just feeling that surge of hope from Chanyeol.

"Your body is weak, but that's not the case" He pointed at an x-ray image of Ahreum's heart. "The left part is growing weaker each day. That explains the sluggish feeling, the tiredness and the occassional chest pains" Dr. Joonmyeon encircled his pen on a holographic image of the left ventricle.

Ahreum played with her fingers. She knew that she would need a transplant if the symptoms continue. "How much time do I have?" The doctor fixed his labcoat and reviewed his documents. "A month" Ahreum nodded bitterly at the new information. 

"Thank you Suho" Ahreum hopped of the hospital bed and smiled warmly at her family's physician. "Ahreum-ah, stop overworking yourself" Dr. Joonmyeon held her shoulder and gave it a light pat before excusing himself to attend some other patient.

Ahreum hated the fact that she was sickly. Because of her disease, she couldn't run as fast as other people can, she couldn't play wholeheartedly until she grows tired and she can't do a lot of things. Working in an office was the only productive thing she was able to do.

She drove back home but Chanyeol was not there. Ahreum took her coat off and saw a note on the rack. Grocery shopping, be back soon! it read. She thought about how she would reveal the news to Chanyeol.

Ahreum was getting nervous each passing second. How will he react? Will he still be the same if he knew? Those were some of the questions that's been bugging her ever since. 

The door creaked open revealing Chanyeol who was carrying two grocery bags in each of his hands. He has his key dangling from his mouth and he almost stumbled when he saw Ahreum. He almost stumbled and Ahreum walked over to grab a bag from his hand.

"Thanks" Chanyeol grinned and placed the bags on top of the dining table. He clearly wasn't expecting Ahreum to be home so early. "Are you feeling alright wifey?" Chanyeol can't help but ask her. She looked paler than usual.

When Chanyeol was about to touch her cheeks, Ahreum flinched and stumbled back. Upon seeing her reaction, Chanyeol hid the frown that was forming and rubbed his hands together instead. "I'm fine" Ahreum dismissed as she excuse herself while he cooks dinner.

Ahreum had to compose herself before facing Chanyeol again. All of this was very selfish of her and was very unfair for Chanyeol's part. Treating him coldly was already enough torture for him, besides, Ahreum thought that it was about time since she had a month left.

"Wifey?" The giant walked inside and Ahreum closed her eyes pretending to be asleep. Chanyeol could hear her soft breathing and it made him smile, he was going to eat dinner with her. Chanyeol sat beside her and bent down to kiss Ahreum's cheek while giving her arm a soft rub afterwards. 

"Wifey, let's eat first" He whispered into her ear ever so lovingly and Ahreum can feel the goosebumps coming. Ahreum opened her eyes to a smiling yoda whose ears are red probably because of the cold.

Ahreum sat up straight and wore her fluffy slippers lazily. Chanyeol chuckled at her sleepy face before hoisting her up in his arms and carrying her downstairs bridal style. Ahreum was tired to even protest so she just let him be. "Do you want hubby to feed you?" Chanyeol babytalked. 

The girl broke into a small smile and nod her head, still pretending to be sleepy. Honestly, she just wanted to feel Chanyeol's love right now and nothing else. "Say ahh" Chanyeol cooed and fed Ahreum lovingly. Something tells her that he would make a good father someday.

Chanyeol was feeling blissful since Ahreum didn't act like she had PMS just like every other day, she was actually cooperating with Chanyeol and it made him happy. Ahreum was leaning on Chanyeol's chest as they watch some random TV show.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter