Empty

Ghost Story

A calm recording studio suddenly interrupted when Jinhwan barging in. He’s panting and looks angry. The guy in a blue hoodie seems surprised to see Jinhwan, along with panic Yunhyung who followed behind. Kim Jiwon or people know him as Bobby, one of the singer in Jinhwan's label, also happen to be Jinhwan and Yunhyung's  classmate in highschool.

“I need to talk to you!” Jinhwan shouts to the guy making other people in the studio stratled. Jiwon look biweldered.

“Whoaa…calm down, Jin-ah…we can discuss this.”

“I told you, right? Million times. Do not…ever touch…this song.” Jinhwan tried so hard to suppressed his anger.

“I know. I know. But it’s been years, Jinhwan… I wrote my part too in this song. It is a good song. It will go big.” The blue-hoodie guy tries to argue, but Jinhwan doesn’t seem to like it.

“I don’t care about how it will go big. You can’t use !” He shouts.

“Jinhwan, I get it if you’re upset…but…”

“I’ll make sure I will sue you if you’re going with this song.” He threatens.

“You can’t do that.” Jinhwan scoffed.

“It’s his song, Jiwon-ah…you know it.” Jinhwan said desperately, hoping the blue hoodie guy to understand that. Jinhwan doesn’t want to be violent or harsh, he just wants Jiwon to understand. Jiwon stares at him for a moment. Somehow Jinhwan can see pity looks on Jiwon’s eyes.

“He’s gone. He’s…dead.” Jiwon said almost like a whisper, but Jinhwan can hears it clearly and it makes him snapped. He rages and grabs Jiwon’s collar.

“Shut up!” He shouts, while Yunhyung panicly grab him, prevent him from punching Jiwon in the face.

“Hey! Jinhwan, calm down! Hey…don’t do this, okay. Calm down, okay. Jiwon-ah, let’s just settle this first okay.” Yunhyung grab Jinhwan before give sign to Jiwon and everyone else to leave the room.

“I can’t believe you gone this far Jinhwan. You are pathetic. I missed him too, okay. Just remember who’s the one who has been taken him for granted.” Jiwon said while fixing his collar and get out of the room.

Jinhwan feels like he lost the power on his leg. He crumbles down and sobs, while his best friend can do nothing but stares. But Yunhyung know Jinhwan better than anyone. He know that his best friend doesn’t want anyone to see him crumbling down, Jinhwan has the riddiculous amount of pride. That’s why Yunhyung just gives him a slight pat on the shoulder before finally leaving the studio.

--

# Jinhwan POV

I don’t remember how it was. I just remember I ran from my company’s building, get in my car and drives. It’s all confusing. I really don’t get it how I end up with 6 empty bottles of soju, or how Song Yunhyung sit in front of me and trying so hard not to cry, while trying to stop me from ordering my 7th bottles of soju.

“There’s no one can sing better than Junhoe. It was Junhoe’s song. Junhoe was perfect. No one will ever beat him.” I rambles. Yunhyung sniffs a bit. I keep shaking my soju bottle, hoping some drops will come out, but it's empty. As empty as my heart.

“Right, beside the fact that he’s gone. Jinhwan, you need to move on.” He sounds like pleading, almost shed the tears. I just chuckled.

“Move on? How could I? Tell me, Yunhyung-ah…how can I move on , I’m the one who…”

“Jinan, stop it…” He starts to tear up. Damn, he’s always be the cry baby.

“Jiwon was right. I shouldn’t take anything for granted. Just because I know Junhoe will always be there for me, doesn’t mean that I can’t treat him like that.” I said as I drank a little left on my bottles. I start to feel dizzy. I look at my reflection in my empty glass. I laugh a little. Yeah, that’s you. That’s Kim Jinhwan.

My name is Kim Jinhwan, and I am a man who never regrets anything he ever did in his life. Why should I regret it? I did every step perfectly. I’m young, driven, and talented and literally have it all. Everything was great, just like the day I met Koo Junhoe. A 17 years old Koo Junhoe, along with his sinister smile, sassy remarks, pale but shimmering skins and his heavenly voice. He was singing “Ain’t No Sunshine” in a small café, still on his school uniform. Everytime I remember the day I first met Junhoe, I'll end up questioning myself, what's wrong with me? How can I end up do those craps the the beautiful person like Junhoe?

“Why did I do that to him?”

“Should I remind you Jinan? The thing that you said that day. You said that Junhoe was a safe choice. Loving him will never hurt you. Because he loves you more. Because you don’t love him that hard, at least not as hard how he fall for you.” Yunhyung said between his tears.

“So I take him for granted.”

“You take him for granted. And then later you find yourself getting sick of him. You feel like he's crumbling and he’s end up dragging you down. And you hate being down.”

Yeah, I'm the selfish bastard who didn't realized that thing that was granted for us still can be taken anytime.

“I shouldn’t do that.”

“But you did.” Yunhyung sobs harder. I feel like my heart breaking more.

“I shouldn’t do that, Yunhyung-ah. I should’ve listened to his story. I should’ve taken him to nice dinner. I should’ve hugged him and calm him down anytime he got nightmare, instead of letting him crying himself to sleep, alone in a dark and empty room. I should’ve told him that it was okay…and it will be. I should’ve take him to places, let him play in the beach; watch him smile as he play with the waves. I shouldn’t yell on him every time he cried on the phone, telling him to grow up and such thing…because it’s not his fault. It was never his fault.:" I feel tears falling on my cheeks, but I ignored that. Maybe right now I'm just too drunk to care about that. 

"I should’ve talk to him that time, instead of hang up and doing some stupid interview. I shouldn’t break him like that. I shouldn’t left him crying alone in the rain. I should’ve known that he was just scared…and lonely. I should’ve known that he needs me. I shouldn’t think him as a burden. I should’ve rushed to him, gather him in my arms, instead of abruptly end the call. Then maybe…just maybe…he won’t be gone. He won’t feel so unwanted. He won’t feel so small, and lonely…and dejected. Because he’s precious, I should know that. I should tell him that. Then maybe he wouldn’t jump. And he will be still here with me…singing with his perfect voice, laugh with his sassy remarks.” I sobs. Junhoe's husky and strong voice when he sang "" ringing on my head, making me feeling harder to breath.

“Hyung, please…” Yunhyung rarely called me hyung, maybe I look so pathetic and pitiful right now so that he can’t take it anymore.

“I killed him…I killed Koo Junhoe.”

I killed him. May 12th 2012. I killed Koo Junhoe with a simple call. I will never forget the last time I heard his voice. How it's breaking, how it wavered, and hoarse. And I was the reason why he’s breaking.