Color Ring

Ghost Story

Jinhwan hate to be interrupted, especially when he’s doing serious thing. Like right now, when he has to write review for this week’s number 1 on chart album, not to mention a lot of editor candidate to be interviewed. Sometimes Jinhwan thought, it is not easy to be him. Maybe people outside doesn’t understand, but being a Kim Jinhwan is not something that everyone can do. Sure, he’s the managing director of one of the biggest music label who also own a popular music magazine in the country. It is not easy to be just 24, smart, rich and busy like him. That’s why it’s been a while since he ignored the ringing buzz of his phone that indicating someone’s calling. Instead of checking who the caller is, Jinhwan keep working on his review.

“Yunhyung-ah, can you inform to the candidates, interviews on in 10 minutes.” He shouts to his secretary who also happens to be his best friend since childhood, who does his command quickly.

“Got it.” Yunhyung said while leaving his desk.

The ringing buzz is heard again. Jinhwan sigh in annoyance because it’s getting disturbing.

I really have no time for this. He thought.

But Jinhwan has no choice but take a look at the caller ID who shows up on his phone screen. He sighs again, frowning because the call really is really inconvenience. Jinhwan got mixed feeling about should or should not he answer the call. Not just because he’s literally busy right now, but also because the caller…it’s someone that Jinhwan wants to avoid for a while. 

Why do I have to deal with this? He asked himself before finally press the green button.

“Oh…Junhoe-ya. What is it?” He try answer casually while keep working on his laptop, eventhough deep inside he feels really burdened.

“Hyung, can we talk?” The voice on the other side sounds wear and raspy.

“Is it something important? I’m kinda…stuck with a lot of thing right now. I call you later, okay?”

“Please…hyung...just a few minutes.” Junhoe said desperately. Jinhwan sighs. He doesn't want to be cruel, but this is not the first time Junhoe call him in a busy time just for less important matter. Jinhwan doesn't want to deal with that right now. Especially not when they're in this awkward term.

“Junhoe-ya. I really need to go right now. I have more than 7 editor's candidates to interview and they're waiting for me right now. I can't be late. We’ll talk later, okay?.” Jinhwan sigh, from outside his door he can saw Yunhyung give me sign that the interview is ready. The voice on the other line falls silent for a moment, before finally coming at shakily.

“Hyung…please…don’t hang up.” Jinhwan was about to hang up, but he sense something strange on Junhoe’s voice. Jinhwan has made promised to himself that he’s done with this. He’s tired of all of this crap that always got him, but it’s Koo Junhoe, it wouldn’t be easy for Jinhwan to ignore him.

“Are you crying?”

“I…I…got a nightmare. Again.” Junhoe stutters.

Geez. Not again. Jinhwan, don’t fall far it.

“June, I told you not to skip your meds. You know I can’t take care of you right now, since…”

“I took it! But...I still see it.”

“Your mind is overworking and it started to create that kind of images...voices. You can control it. Just…get rest…and take your meds, okay? Listen, if you wanna meet and talk…we’ll meet later, okay? Just not now. I have a lot of thing to do right now.” Jinhwan said while taking the candidates profile and walking to the door.

“I think you’re not listening to me, hyung. You’re no longer care.” Junhoe’s voice breaking.

“It’s not like that…June, can’t you understand me a little bit? They really need me right now. I’ll just be gone in a few hours and then I’m gonna call you back, okay? Got it?”

“Okay.”

Okay. Just the word “okay”, enough to make Kim Jinhwan end the call. Just one single word. Okay. The word that Jinhwan hate the most, because it reminds him with biggest regret he ever got in his life. The biggest mistake he ever done. Jinhwan swear he will give everything just to turn back time to the moment of this conversation. Jinhwan wish that time he wouldn’t be satisfied just with an “okay” word. Jinhwan wishes his 24 years old self understand that “okay” has a lot of meaning. Especially for that boy who end up turn his world upside down. The boy who left a big ugly wound in Jinhwan soul that maybe won’t be recovered till he dies. That boy, Koo Junhoe.

 

Jinhwan wished he didn’t hang up on Koo Junhoe.