Stars of Love

The Stars of Love

 

It was midnight in Seoul and sobs could be heard in the Suju dorm. Most of the members remained asleep despite the sound, but it woke up Siwon. He stirred in his bed, sighing and knowing already who it was. The cries had been going on for a week and there was rarely peace and quiet around the dorms at night now.

Siwon crawled out of bed and tiptoed out of the room, careful not to wake his roommate Donghae. He headed down the hall, following the cries to a room at the end. Cats and flowers covered the door along with a little hanging sign with the name Heechul on it. Heechul had his own room, which he only shared with his cat and Kyuhyun whenever he got in a fight with Sungmin. He used to share it with Hangeng, but ever since he left, Heechul's been by himself in the room.

Siwon quietly opened the door, slowly peeking his head in. The room was dark and the shades were drawn shut; the only light came from a small night light by which the older man sat by, holding a small picture frame close to him and sobbing. He never saw him like this, so broken and fragile. Siwon made sure to keep silent, knowing that Heechul would lash out at him if he knew he was watching. The diva didn't like anyone knowing his true feelings. No one but Hangeng.

 

A few months before the lawsuit, the group was all hanging out together after a big practice. Even though they had no comebacks or concerts for a while, they still practiced their hardest to get better and perfect their skills.

"Hyung," Hangeng spoke up, walking toward his friend. "Can you help me again? Is it 'mworehdo?'"

Heechul smiled and patted his shoulder.

"No Hannie, it's mworaedo," the older explained. "mwo-rae-do."

"Mwooo-raaaee-dooo," he drawled, sounding each part. He then wrote it down on a paper he was holding, attempting to perfect the hanji.

"There you go! You got it!" he grinned and gave his friend a quick hug. "You're doing a lot better!"

"Do you really think so?" Hangeng questioned, a small smile appearing on his face."Leeteuk hyung still says I need work. "

"Don't worry, you're doing great, trust me. Teukie hyung doesn't understand how hard it is, but I believe in you," Heechul's words caused the other man to smile brightly.

"Thanks Heechul," he pulled him into a big hug. "You've really helped me out a lot. Gobabseumnida."

Heechul cracked up and hugged his friend.

"You're welcome Hannie. And I think you mean gomapseumnida. Though there's really no need to be formal to me when we're best friends!"

Hangeng blushed and put his face on the older man's shoulder.

"Heechul? Can we talk somewhere else?" he looked over his shoulders toward the group sitting at the benches, chatting and laughing close by.

"Sure," Heechul's tone dropped to a slightly more serious one that still sounded friendly. "Here, I know where we can go."

He grabbed the other's hand and walked to a picnic table by the river that was way out of earshot of the others. The two sat down.

"I have something really important to tell you. Well two things actually..." Hangeng said quietly, looking down awkwardly before looking into Heechul's round eyes. They were filled with kindness while he waited for him to continue.

"Heechul, I know we're best friends, right? I really think you're a great person, you're really the only one who helped me adjust ever since I moved here. The only other member that even helped me a little was Siwon, but that was only because we are in SJ-M together and I helped him with Chinese... but what I'm saying, is you're really nice to me and I've really gotten to know you, and..."

"Oh you big goof," Heechul smiled and grabbed his hand. "You're confessing aren't you? I like you too you know."

Hangeng stared into the older's sincere eyes, being pulled in. A huge smile appeared on his face and he leaned in an planted a big kiss on his soft lips. Heechul only seemed slightly shocked, and pushed back with an even stronger kiss. Both of them could feel the love pulsating between them.

However, Hangeng abruptly ended the kiss, still having more to say. He grabbed both of Heechul's hands and squeezed them tightly.

"I have some bad news though," he continued. "I've been really thinking over this a lot. Like there's so much I'll lose, and I really don't want to but part of me is saying this is right."

He stumbled over his words, both because it wasn't his native language and because he was extremely afraid.

"But, the conditions are harsh here, we get worked to the bone, and I get worked harder than any of you guys. The higher-ups don't care for my conditions, you know what they did to me. What I'm saying is that I think I might find a lawyer and set up-"

"You're leaving?" Heechul asked in a hurt tone, his heart shattering in his chest. "Hannie.."

"I'm sorry, but it's not because of you or any of the other members, I just can't stand how the company treats me. You know how much I would cry after harsh practices and when they'd insult my Korean. I think it would be better if I moved my career back to China, it would be easier for me. But I really don't want to leave you guys, especially you..."

"Hannie, I'm so sorry," Heechul said quietly. "I should've done something to stop them from treating you like this, those bastards..."

"It's not you're fault Hee," Hangeng said, softly caressing the other man's cheek as tears began to fill his eyes. "But please, don't tell the others. I don't want them to get hurt, and besides I haven't even finalized my decision yet. Don't worry Heechul. I won't ever forget you."

Heechul clung to him, sobbing onto his shoulder. Hangeng held him tightly, singing soft words into his ear.

 

Even months after his departure, Heechul didn't get to see Hangeng again. They'd talk a bit through social media and he called once just to say he's doing well and to tell him he loves him still. Nobody else knew how they felt toward each other. Most of them knew they we just best friends, but Siwon suspected more. Heechul never cried this much over someone. He knew he had to do something. Being one of the only ones who actually really stayed in contact with Hangeng, he decided to fix things. He hurried back to his room and went back to sleep, planning a happy day for Heechul.

 

The next day, Siwon called the Chinese man as soon as he woke up. He knew he was probably busy with his solo promotions, or sleeping still, but he couldn't stand to see his fellow band member upset and he knew the poor man needed Hangeng. After a few rings, a tired voice answered the phone in Chinese.

"Hello? Who is it?"

"Hangeng! It's Siwon!" he responded in Chinese.

"Oh, hi hyung!" Hangeng replied in Korean that was still slightly rough."What is it?"

"There's something wrong, Heechul's been crying for days, and I'm pretty sure it's because he really misses you," the younger stated, causing the line to go quiet. Siwon decided to continue. "Ever since we started working on our Mamacita album he's seemed really upset and I can hear him crying at night. Sometimes he even leaves the room when we practice Evanesce."

"Oh..." Hangeng said quietly. "I guess I really don't keep in contact with him enough."

"That's okay, it's not you're fault," he reassured him.

"I've just been so busy... I neglected our friendship. I promised him I wouldn't forget him and I'd stay in touch, with all of you..." a few sniffles could be heard over the line as he began to cry. "I hope I didn't make him hate me, I want anything but that... I don't want him to think I don't love him anymore..."

Siwon smiled at this, his instincts right, but chose not to say anything about it.

"Don't worry, you can patch things up. I say you clear you're schedule for today and I can set up a little date for you two. It can even be a surprise!"

"Really? You'd do that?" the older said, his sobs quieting down as his hope grew.

"Just leave it to me. Go to the park by the Han river today at 1. Heechul should be up and out of bed by then, it shouldn't take too long for me get him up," Siwon chuckled.

"Thanks Siwon, this really means a lot," the Chinese man said gratefully before ending the conversation.

Siwon put away his phone and walked out to the hall and back to the lonely room. It was silent inside since Heechul had finally cried himself to sleep at 3 in the morning. He probably wasn't going to wake up on his own for a few more hours. However, Siwon knew he had to wake the older up earlier than when he usually would so he could have time to prepare for the date. He knocked twice before opening the door and stepping in.

Heechul was laying on the floor, his big hoodie draped over him as a blanket and a small pillow under his head. Beside him was the picture frame with a picture of him and Hangeng with their arms around each other. Siwon bent down and quietly picked up the picture, carefully setting it on his nightstand. He then went back to his elder and gently shook his shoulder.

"Wake up hyung," he said quietly before clearing his voice and speaking up. "Heechul hyung."

The cat lover stirred awake, flinching when he noticed Siwon.

"Yah! Why are you in my room?" he asked, sitting up abruptly and grabbing his hoodie close to him.

"Get up and get dressed, I want to take you somewhere," Siwon said firmly, holding out his hand and helping Heechul up. He glared at the tall man, furious at him for disturbing his resting.

"Take Teukie hyung, or Donghae, I dont want to go," he said in a grim tone. He stood up and trudged to his bed to catch up on his sleep. Siwon stood firm.

"No, I want to go with you. Come on Heechul, you could really use some fun."

Heechul shot a cold glare at him. "No."

"But the nice sunlight will be great for you, I know you've been having a hard time-"

"I said no!" he hissed, turning away and plopping on his bed. "I don't want to go outside."

"Fine," Siwon sighed. "Be that way."

The older thought it was the end of it and Siwon would leave, but he was wrong; the man grabbed him out of bed, stripped him to his underwear and grabbed a clean outfit from the closet.

"Put this on, and then meet me at the stairs," he commanded before leaving the room and exhaling heavily. "Hopefully he'll listen," he whispered to himself.

"Aish, that stupid Siwon," Heechul muttered as he looked at the clothes Siwon handed him. It was a plain white t-shirt and black skinny jeans. He sighed and reluctantly got dressed, finally decided a day out couldn't be so bad. He just wished Siwon hadn't done what he did; it made him feel dirty.

Once dressed, he slipped his hoodie over his head and headed out to the stairs.

Siwon was waiting patiently and smiled when he saw that Heechul actually walking toward him, even though he didn't look too happy about it. He almost looked a bit embarrassed.

Siwon grabbed the other man's arm and pulled him along with him, leading the way to the park. He checked his watch to see that they were right on time. He grinned and continued walking as the park grew near. Quickly, he thought of a way to get away and leave Heechul and Hangeng alone.

"Uh, hold on," he pretended to check his pockets. "I forgot my phone, wait here," he ran off before Heechul could protest.

"Yah!" the man called out to him, getting no resposne. "Stupid church boy."

Heechul walked over to an empty table close to the river and sat down, looking around him. Memories flooded back to him with images of the day he was last there with Hangeng. He remembered how heartbroken he was to hear that he was leaving, but he also remembered the smiles they shared and all the good times they had together at the river. He rememebered when Hangeng confessed to him. And he first kissed him. Right in that same exact spot he was sitting at.

Thinking it was his imagination, Hangeng appeared before him.

"Hey," he said quietly, his hands stuffed in his pockets. Heechul blinked a few times and squinted at him, truly believing it was a figment of his imagination.

"No, you're not really here, you can't be," Heechul whispered before getting up and walking towards him. He held a hand out and reached for his face, slowly caressing his hand over his cheeks. His fingers glided over his nose and his smooth lips before moving down to his chest. Heechul felt the man with amazement in his eyes; it was really him. 

He looked up into his eyes, seeing sadness.

"Hannie?" his eyes began to well up with tears. "Hangeng, you bastard, why didn't you ever visit me?" He punched his shoulder lightly and buried his head in his chest. Hangeng wrapped his arms around him in a tight hug.

"I'm sorry Hee," he said quietly, kissing the top of the older's head. "I didn't think I would always be so busy... I wanted to see you so bad but I was always booked. I'm sorry."

Heechul remained silent for a moment, clinging to the chinese man's shirt. 

"You idiot, I waited for a call everyday. I thought I would be okay, but then we started practicing Evanesce and it reminded me so much of you..." he said between sobs."I missed you so much you goof!"

Hangeng hugged him tighter. "I missed you too kitty."

Heechul looked up at him with tear-stained cheeks. He looked into his eyes, the feeling of being pulled in returning for the first time since he left. His heart fluttered and he could feel butterflies in his stomach. He knew he still loved this idiot, no matter what happened.

He leaned in for a passionate kiss, softly planting his lips on Hangeng's. The two pushed into the kiss that was long overdue with equal strength, both of them feeling the love once again. It was just like the first kiss.

 

After a short session, the caught up and talked about both of their current promotions. They also spoke a bit about the past and everything that they did before he left.

"I see you still have my hoodie," Hangeng pointed out with a happy smile. Heechul blushed and pulled the collar of the hoodie up to his face.

"It still smells like you. And feels like you. I always wear it to sleep," he said in a happy, peaceful tone. "I would never give it up for anything."

Hangeng looked at his smiling face while he buried himself in the sweater. He knew Heechul never lied to him, so he really meant it.

"Hey Hee? Remember the night before my lawsuit?" he asked, looking out onto the river. He could see the reflection of the sky on the water as the clouds began to turn pink and orange as the day came to an end.

"Yeah, I cried so much that day..." Heechul responded in a sad tone. "I thought I would never be able to see you again."

"Yeah, but don't you remember that night?" a smile crept on his face. "We came here and laid out in the grass right in front of the lake while the sun set."

Heechul smiled at the memory, but remained silent, allowing Hangeng to continue replaying the memory.

"It was the greatest night of my life. We were all alone and I got to lay beside you and hold your hand. We sang together, and we kissed under the moonlight," he blushed as he recalled more details. "I felt the real touch of a man for the first time... but do you remember what I said to you?"

Heechul blushed at the other memory but shook his head to answer the question.

"When the stars came out I pointed them out to you, and we looked at them; you kept saying how beautiful they were. I told you: 'you know, those stars are millions of miles away, yet we can still see them shining bright here on earth. And even if they burn out or go away, we still see them here for a while. It's like that with people we love; they can be far away, but we still know we're there, we can still feel them around us and feel them in our hearts. And if someone goes away, they still last a long time in our memories.' Heechul, you know, I really do love you, and I'll never forget you. Even if we're miles apart, I'll still remember you, I'll feel you around me and think of you with everything I do," he looked up at the sky as it grew dark and the stars came out. "Just like the stars."

The two sat in peaceful silence for a long moment, simply enjoying their time together and the beauty of the world around them.

"I love you too Hannie," Heechul said, laying his head on Hangeng's shoulder and savoring the peaceful moment, knowing it'll be one he'll cherish forever.