fin

A trip to the matchmaker

It was a busy day in the Lee household, as their eldest daughter Eunsook was going on the most important trip of her life; she will have a date with the matchmaker. It has been a custom to their village to seek professional help in finding their potential partners, as the men are few and the women are far greater in numbers. There is about a ratio of 5:1, women to men, and the 20% chance of getting paired up is something every girl holds on to.

 

For the Lee’s, it was important to marry off their daughter because their family held such prestige in their little village that an unmarried daughter would equate to their family as undesirable. But Eunsook was a pretty child, round cheeks and full lips, small eyes and a bright smile; she was an object of affection for men who chanced to see her face. She had suitors, quite a number as a matter of fact, yet her parents knew it is still wise to consult the matchmaker because their tradition still weighs more than affection.

 

Eunsook was dressed in the finest silk robe and wore intricate Jade jewelry, their family emblem hangs on her sash to signify her status. The maids had braided her long hair and put on the shiniest silver hair piece as her face was painted like the goddesses. She sighed amidst the bustling around her, she wasn’t happy to be paired up with random sons of  feudal lords, she wanted to spend forever with the one she loves; but she has to come in terms with her family tradition, and for the sake of its continuity, she submit herself to this treatment.

 

The matchmaker was famous for being 90% accurate with her matches: her wit and wisdom was far too great and her expertise was not for contest. She was an old maiden, her face showed her age, but her mind was clear and her heart is pure. Eunsook sat across her and the matchmaker smiled at her.

 

“How are you dear?” She inquired and Eunsook gave her a small smile. “I see that you do not like to be matched, but I see such potential in you.” She said and asked for her hand. “You seem to be a fair child, a princess if I may be allowed to say and your stars have aligned with someone.” She said.

 

“Is he my soul mate?” Eunsook asked and the matchmaker smiled at him.

 

“it’s up to you to find out.” She grinned to her. “I see you two fit, but should love blossom, that is for the two of you to know. I lead everyone to their partners but destiny is created by ourselves and so you too must decide your fate.” She said and Eunsook nodded then thanked her.

 

“He will be waiting by the bridge past this house, you must present him this.” The matchmaker said and handed her a piece of carved stone.

 

Eunsook bowed to thank her once again and went out of the room to meet her entourage. She told her cousin about the meeting and her cousin urged her to go.

 

“well, there’s no harm in seeing him.” Jonghyun, her cousin spoke and she nodded then walked the cobbled path towards a bridge where her match was waiting.

 

She took small steps and stopped a few feet from the bridge. She looked at the man in his majestic red robes and her jaws dropped at how handsome the man was in her vantage point. Was it love at first sight? Probably not.

 

She walked slowly towards the bridge and coughed a bit to get the man’s attention. The guy was obviously from a wealthy family, his family emblem of red Jade and Chinese cold tells it all. He smiled a bit and bowed to her, acknowledging her presence.  Eunsook showed her the stone the matchmaker gave and he too took out a similar stone.

 

“My lady, an honor to meet you. I am Sunggyu of the Kim Clan of Gyeongi-do.” He introduced himself.

 

“Young sir, the honor is mine to meet you. I am Eunsook from the Lee Family of the Pamunjung village.” She said with soft pink on her cheeks.

 

“I know it is rather awkward for us as it is our first time seeing each other, but would you grace an invitation for lunch?” He asked and Eunsook nodded meekly.

 

“That would be lovely sir.” She replied and Eunsook followed him towards a bamboo hall where food was already laid out for them.

 

“I brought the famous delicacies of Gyeongi-do, I hope you would like them.” He said and Eunsook nodded as she sat on her chair.

 

After lunch and some conversation, Sunggyu led Eunsook towards the park where her entourage was waiting. She bid goodbye and then went on his way back to the village. She was welcomed with great curiosity, was her match handsome and kind? Was he some gentleman? Was he rich? Eunsook answered each question with lack of interest, Kim Sunggyu was a good man but they were not clicking like bees to flowers

 

 

Eunsook wouldn’t deny the fact that Sunggyu was handsome, beyond perfect if she was allowed to say, but during lunch, he looked distant and detached and that was Eunsook’s sign that he wasn’t interested in her at all. Why would she push herself then if she wasn’t desired?

 

So she pushed the thoughts of her possible match aside and concentrated on the parade her village was doing for their annual chuseok festival. She was chosen to portray the Moon Goddess for the traditional dance presentation at the plaza, an honor she gladly accepted; being chosen meant that you were worthy to be called a maiden of the Moon Goddess and your heart and face hold such beauty that transcends through everyone in the village.

 

The night of the festival came and Eunsook was far too pretty to be ignored, her long hair flowed as her bangs framed her face. She wore white robes with sky blue accent, and jewelry of gold that the moon goddess wore. She danced so well, her body was graceful and swift, like the moon goddess should and that made her suitors rise a couple more than she already has.

 

One of the men that she had captivated was that of a travelling man from Gyeongi-do who was invited by some of his distant relatives from Pamunjung. He watched the dancers intently but his heart was captured by the moon goddess. He approached her quickly after she was done with her performance and Eunsook gasped as he pulled her to a side. She was about to scream out loud but gaped as she saw him once again.

 

They locked eyes and if their first meeting they lacked interest with each other, this time, sparks fly and fireworks painted the sky. They were both speechless and it’s as if time stood still. “Eunsook-ssi?” Sunggyu asked and the maiden blushed as she nodded once. The silence remained, they can’t seem to find the right words to say.

 

“Sunggyu hyung!” They heard a call and they both looked at a raven haired boy who was carrying a tray of sweet moon cakes and some tea. “they are already serving the moon cakes, come let us eat.” He urged but then noticed the fair maiden beside Sunggyu. “Oh, I interrupted something. Please ignore me hyung!” The boy ran off and Sunggyu turned back to the blushing Eunsook.

 

“You looked beautiful Eunsook-ssi.” Sunggyu said and the pink cheeks burned scarlet.

 

“I am most flattered by your compliment sir.” Eunsook replied bashfully.

 

“Please, call me by my name.” Sunggyu urged and Eunsook looked at him and nodded.

 

“Very well Sunggyu-ssi.” Eunsook uttered and hearing her voice speak his name made his heart beat erratically. “It’s tradition that we must partake with tea and moon cakes, follow me Sunggyu-ssi.” Eunsook uttered and led him towards the canopy reserved for her family.

 

The Lee’s were already feasting on food and wine, moon cakes were served on each plate as the festivities of the village continued through the night. She cleared and got everyone’s attention, now all eyes were focused on her and the man dressed in royal blue.

 

“This is Sunggyu-ssi from the Kim clan of Gyeongi-do. He is visiting some relatives from our village, perhaps we could extend our hospitality towards him.” Eunsook addressed her family.

 

“It is unlikely for a maiden to invite a man to her house, who is he my daughter?” Lee Sungmin, Eunsook’s father asked and Eunsook bit her lip nervously.

 

“If I may intrude sir, I am a visiting noble and meeting Eunsook-ssi here is destiny. I am her destined match; the matchmaker had made us met a while back. But it seemed that we both weren’t keen on being paired up.” Sunggyu told them.  “I did not expect to meet her on this day, nor have I thought about searching for her but fate was leading us both to each other.” Sunggyu uttered and Eunsook blushed even more.

 

“Ah, I see. Come and sit at our table Sunggyu-ssi.” Sungmin said and led him to a vacant chair next to him while Eunsook sat next to Sunggyu.  “You said about fate,  do you believe in it?” Sungmin asked as he filled his cup with rice wine.

 

“No sir, not until tonight.” He said glancing at Eunsook who blushed even more than she already was.

 

“My daughter seemed to be silent, Sunggyu-ssi, how did you find her dance earlier?” Sungmin asked.

 

“Captivating was an understatement sir, she is worthy to be a maiden of the moon goddess; it’s as if she took form with Eunsook.” Sunggyu said and Sungmin laughed as he raised his cup.

 

“My daughter had earned another admirer. I must warn you Sunggyu, you have a fierce competition to face.” Sungmin uttered and Sunggyu nodded.

 

“A fair fight for your daughter’s hand in marriage, would that be okay sir?” Sunggyu asked and Sungmin laughed loudly.

 

“You are brave my son, well I agree. In an hour’s time you shall face the people of Pamunjung, to win my daughter’s hand, like the traveler that fell in love with the Moon Goddess, brave them all to win her hand.” Sungmin uttered and Sunggyu bowed at him.

 

“I accept the challenge sir.” He replied.

 

And it was a battle for her hand as Sunggyu faced the suitors of the fair maiden. But one by one, his fist hand landed on the opponent’s body and his skills had proven him worthy for the maiden’s hand. Sungmin extended a hand to congratulate him and as promised, he had given her blessings for her daughter’s marriage.

 

Eunsook was fidgeting as she waited for the Kim’s entourage to bring her to Gyeongi-do. Sunggyu would want Eunsook to meet his parents and to introduce her to his family. They already prepared her carriage, and her entourage that carried crafts and gifts from Pamunjung. Jonghyun would accompany her on the journey and Eunsook couldn’t be any grateful.

 

“My apologies for being late, the rains had caused the roads to turn muddy and our horses had a hard time pulling the carriage. My Lady, I am Kim Myungsoo, brother of Sunggyu” A boy with raven hair and greeted them. “Allow me to present your family with gifts from Gyeongi-do.” He instructed and the helpers brought in chests filled with silk and precious stones. One was filled with rice and another filled with literature.

 

“Thank you young sir.” Eunsook bowed politely.

 

“Ah, it’s not necessary noona, the smile on my brother’s face is enough for us.” He said and then turned to her horse. “Shall we depart immediately?” Myungsoo asked and Eunsook shook her head.

 

“Rest for the night Myungsoo-ssi, we have a bed made for you and your people.” She said and led everyone to their rooms.

 

The journey to Gyeongi-do was peaceful yet Eunsook felt nervous as they reached the Kim Clan’s estate. The family was rich no doubt and the land they owned was nothing compared to what the Kim’s has. Eunsook stepped out of her carriage and soon was greeted by a maiden who introduced herself as Gwiboon. Eunsook greeted back but eyed the girl as she stared at Jonghyun far more than necessary.

 

“Please come in my lady.” Gwiboon said and led them inside a receiving area where Sunggyu was pacing back and forth, wringing his hands far too many times for comfort. “Our guests have arrived oppa.” Gwiboon chirped and  Sunggyu instantly turned to see his bride to be dressed in canary yellow silk.

 

“Ah, did the travel tire you Eunsook?” He asked but she shook her head and smiled at him. “I am glad that you are safe. Please have a seat as we wait for my parents to come out.” Sunggyu led her to a sofa then motioned for Jonghyun to do the same; but Gwiboon beat him to it as she dragged the guy somewhere.

 

“I brought gifts from our village.” Eunsook uttered and Sunggyu instructed their servants to fetch the items.

 

Sunggyu’s parents came shortly and greeted the girl. “Is she my daughter-in-law?” Mrs. Kim asked.

 

“Heechul, do not scare the poor girl.” Mr. Kim answered.

 

“Jungsoo, I am merely admiring her beauty, by all means I like you already, you will continue the beautiful lineage of our family.” Heechul uttered.

 

“I am most honored Madame Kim.” Eunsook replied and Heechul grinned at her.

 

“Mother, call me mother dear.” She said with a soft smile and Eunsook nodded and smiled back.

 

 

“Were you surprised?” Sunggyu asked as he wrap an arm around her waist and swayed their bodies to dance to the rhythm of their hearts.

 

“A bit, yes.” She replied as she rested her head on his shoulder.

 

“Are you willing to be part of my family then?” Sunggyu asked and Eunsook looked up to him and smiled.

 

“Yes, I am willing.” She replied and Sunggyu moved his hand from her waist to her hands before taking out a box from his robe.

 

“Then be my wife Eunsook, my mood goddess and my destiny.” Sunggyu uttered, revealing an intricate ring made from green jade.

 

Eunsook looked up to him with teary eyes before she croaked a response and pulled him into a blissful kiss.

 

----

a/n: Cliché story~ and pretty lame too!