001

Waning Moon

When Jackson first notices something’s off, he’s sitting in math class, not really listening to his teacher’s annoying high pitched voice, nervously tapping his fingers rhythmically on his desk.

He always sits near the window, last row, and no one is allowed to occupy that place, not even Jaebum who’s missing right now, Jackson doesn’t know where he is, doesn’t know why he ditched every class today but he will get his revenge if he happens to find out Jaebum went to have fun by himself.

Jaebum could ditch school.

Not his best friend.

 

So, when the bell rings and he’s about to take his backpack and leave to actually search for his friend and whine to him how much he already hates school─ there’s no need to leave him by himself in that shabby place the whole day, really─ he sniffs smoke coming from outside. And he can smell another scent too, he swears that’s Jaebum’s cologne but he’s not sure because the smoke─ a normal cigarette’s smoke─ is too strong and covers every other scent almost entirely.

He thinks that’s strange because he doesn’t see anyone  in the area and it’s not even a windy day, but he doesn’t let the thought take up too much space inside his brain.

 

 

The second time’s the same.

 

He’s lazing around in his bedroom, too late to do anything except for taking a shower and going to sleep when the same, strong scent of smoke invades his nostrils. This time he can clearly make out Jaebum’s scent too and Jackson thinks they’ve been hanging around together for too much time, his clothes are starting to smell like his friend too.

He reaches out for his phone on the bedside table and calls Jaebum, just to tell him to stop using that smelly cologne, he doesn’t want it to linger on his sweatshirts.

“Yo,” he says as soon as Jaebum picks up. He hears some rustling on the other side and probably a ‘’ coming from the other boy so he tries again.

“Hey dude, you ok there?”

“Yeah, my phone slipped,” Jaebum replies, coughing a little. “What’s up? It’s midnight, I hope you have a valid reason to interrupt my late night snack.”

“Your snack can wait. I wanted to tell you to stop using that cheap perfume you bought for Christmas, it ing stinks and now my clothes stink too, thanks to you,” Jackson complains, wrinkling his nose when he catches another whiff of cologne.

 

Jaebum doesn’t reply and eventually hangs up.

 


from: Jaebum

i stopped using that perfume 2 weeks ago

but if that’s your way of saying ur gay 4 me than it’s cute
 


from: Jackson

no homo thx

u just stink a lot


from: Jackson

and stop smoking it’s bad for my health


from: Jaebum

…how do u know i smoke


from: Jackson

bc you ing stink




The third time’s different, it’s way past midnight and Jackson’s laying on his bed when he suddenly starts sweating so much he has to take his tank top off and open the window to let some fresh air in.

 

 

It’s the 15th of February.

 

 

He doesn’t remember what happens after that─ he wakes up early, on the floor, feeling dizzy, a bit nauseous and hungry at the same time. He goes to wash his face but then decides to take a shower because he can’t stand that sticky layer of sweat on his skin. When he returns to his room, Jackson sees them.

Scratches.

Deep scratches on the wall and torn curtains.

 

Apart from those, everything’s the same but he still doesn’t know what happened the night before.

 

 

 

 

 

Jackson’s doctor prescribes him some medicines after he tells him how he woke up to a bunch of unhuman scratches decorating his room and a ravenous appetite.

 

 

 

 

 

“So, should I call you Jacob from now on?”, Jaebum snickers and Jackson tries to punch him in the stomach even from his crouched position.

“Sorry, you’re right. Jacob doesn’t have a tail in his human form,” the older chuckles again, defending his ribs in case Jackson decides to throw him a wild punch again.

“I’m hating you right now,” Jackson sighs and curls into a ball on the floor.

Jaebum sits next to his best friend and pats him on his back. He can’t be that mean to Jackson even though he’s been sulking for almost a month now.

“Don’t worry, you’ll be fine. You said the medicine’s working, right?” Jaebum squeezes Jackson’s shoulder in reassurance and the latter falls with his head in Jaebum’s lap, not caring if he’s acting like a kid right now.

 

Or more like a puppy.

 

“Plus, werewolves are hot. You’re gonna have all the girls at your feet as soon as your wolf-y pheromones start spreading around the school.”

Jackson smiles and wiggles his new and furry tail at that and Jaebum pinches his right cheek, smiling back.

“I still hate you.”

 

 

 

 


When his birthday comes, Jackson has his powers already under control.

He can still smell Jaebum from afar but only if he wants to. He can recognize every person’s he knows only by their scent and his reflexes are a thousand times better. He gets a little moody whenever the moon shines too bright during certain nights but the second full moon didn’t affect him like the first.

He’s getting used to his tail too.

He had to ask his mom to cut an hole on the back of each of his pants just to stick his fluffy, black and grey tail through it, so he could move it around freely.  He doesn’t understand why it appeared a few days after the transformation but the doctor told him that it’ll probably disappear if he keeps taking his medicines regularly.

 

 

That morning Jackson finds letters, chocolates and gifts on his desk and in front of his locker─ he has a lot of fans, ok─ and happily stuffs everything inside his backpack. He’ll share chocolates with Jaebum and little Yugyeom later.

 

 

 

A moment after his classmates finish wishing him a happy birthday, the English teacher enters followed by a red haired boy not far behind. He must be a transfer student.

 

Jackson notices how the boy takes a glimpse of his surroundings and fidgets with his hands, tugging the hem of his sleeves. He also engraves this new boy’s scent in his memory.

He smells nice.

 

The teacher skips the introduction because it’s already late and motions for the boy to go sit next to Jackson since he basically helped every foreign student in the school during their first days.

The boy silently sits down and doesn’t introduce himself, squirming nervously in his seat.

 

He’s cute.

 

“Hi, welcome to hell,” Jackson tries in english and it immediately catches the other boy’s attention. He turns around and his eyes land on Jackson like he’s just noticed he’s been there the whole time.

“W-what?”, the boy stutters back and Jackson laughs.

He doesn’t realize he’s wagging his tail a little bit too enthusiastically until the other boy shifts his gaze on it, widening his eyes.

Jackson, suddenly self-conscious, tries to hide it under his first but it’s too uncomfortable to just squeeze it there so he decides to curl it around his sides, giving it a light tug to make sure it won’t move anymore.

When his tail’s well tied around himself, Jackson focuses on his new friend once again and catches him staring at him and his tail, smiling softly.

Cute,” the red-haired boy murmurs inaudibly─ or almost─ if only Jackson’s hearing hadn’t been better than any human being.

 

No one ever really thought his tail was cute until now, except for Jaebum.

 

 

 

The day Jackson showed up at school with a tail and sharp canines every student started talking.

 

Talking about how Jackson didn’t have normal powers, how he was some kind of monster compared to everyone else, how he transformed at night and went around killing people, rending their bodies to shreds so that no one could find them.

 

Jackson couldn’t blame them. He was scared of his own powers too and even if he never killed anyone─ the person who started that bull has probably watched too many horror movies─ he wasn’t able to predict how his body was going to react. He was afraid of losing control.

 

Fortunately, Jaebum’s his friend and when he noticed people had started bad mouthing Jackson he told them that his powers were just acting up, remembering everyone how Kris had had his own dragon tail for almost three months before it finally disappeared.

After that, the rumors calmed down and Jackson wasn’t considered a monster anymore. There were students who still doubted him nevertheless.

 

 

 

Jackson blinks in surprise when he feels a light tap on his arm.

“Are you… uhm… okay?” the boy next to him asks and Jackson flattens his shirt and tie, letting out his typical idiotic laugh before he returns serious again.

“Haha. Yeah, I’m sorry. Just. Spacing out. I’m Jackson, nice to meet you!”

“Mark,” the red-haired boy, Mark, responds. He smiles again, his eyes crinkling a bit at the corners.

 

Jackson stays quiet for the rest of the lesson.

 

 

 

 

from: Twilight Boy

new guy said my tail’s cute

 


from: Jaebum

i’m happy for u man

 


from: Twilight Boy

NO U DON’T UNDERSTAND

U DON’T

 


from: Twilight Boy

btw imma show new guy around

have fun eating alone today

 


from: Jaebum

awww ok

i was going to pay for ur lunch since it’s ur birthday but

┐( ̄ヮ ̄)┌

 


from: Twilight Boy

u

 

 

 

“Down there you can find the library,” Jackson says, pointing to the end of the hallway. Mark nods, turning his head left and right to avoid getting lost in those times he’ll be alone.

“And if you go this way there’s the gym. I think that’s all?”, Jackson scratches the back of his head, his tail swaying slowly from side to side. It seems it can’t stay still today.

Mark hums and thanks Jackson, smiling politely.

 

Jackson turns around, suppressing a growl that almost came out involuntarily (Mark’s smile doesn’t have anything to do with that) and thinks about to go get something to eat before lessons start again.

He turns to face Mark again instead and sees him playing nervously with hem of his shirt.

 

His feels his heart racing in his chest.

 

This is not how Jackson usually acts around other people. He doesn’t care what others think, he doesn’t like to create misunderstandings so he always gets straight to the point even if what he says may sound dumb.

He can’t recall a single time in his life he ever felt like he’s feeling right now, so confused, at a loss for words and there’s this incessant bustle inside his stomach that started to burden him when Mark smiled at him. Just a quick glance at the red-haired boy and he can already feel all the bad energy stored in his body leaving him, getting replaced with renewed energy.

 

Jackson’s the type to like everyone and no one at the same time. He likes to think he’s still a kid─  he’s just 17 after all─  and someone like him doesn’t understand the meaning of love or liking someone that much. He understands that. He’s a kid but not a stupid kid.

That’s why he can’t figure out what he’s feeling right now. Mark and him just met, it’s impossible to start… feeling something for someone that fast.

He blames his wolf-self for everything.

 

 

When he reaches out for Mark’s hands is just to stop him from ruining his shirt.

 Yes, that, he likes that. He likes touching people. Yes.

Now he’s a bit dizzy too, Mark’s scent is getting to his head and keeping it out is becoming hard.

 

He imagines the two them sprawled on the couch, watching a movie in Jackson’s living room, with Mark’s fingers gently combing his hair and Jackson snuggling closer, falling asleep to Mark’s soft touches and reassuring voice.

 

But then he feels Mark retracting his hand, his eyes wide but not amazed like that morning when he first saw Jackson’s tail. He looks scared.

Jackson’s fingers burn where they came in contact with Mark’s skin.

“Oucchhh…”, he groans, blowing at his hand.

“Are you okay?”, Mark asks immediately when he sees Jackson frowning and pouting. He takes a step closer to check if the other’s injured only to withdraw a moment after, pulling down the sleeves of his shirt over his fingers.

 

“Yes!”, the other responds a little bit too enthusiastically noticing Mark’s concerned expression. 

“Don’t worry, it’s nothing! My temperature’s a little bit higher than normal people so I really didn’t feel anything!”

 

Mark presses his lips together into a thin line while he keeps stealing glances at Jackson’s hand and his face.

“Okay,” he says but Jackson can tell he continues to be worried about something (and maybe him too?).

 

Jackson approaches the read-haired boy carefully, wanting to let him know that everything’s fine, he didn’t do anything he should be anxious about and his scent’s addicting so maybe Jackson’s only trying to find some excuses to get closer to him to inhale every molecule of it.

 

“Hey Mark, I didn’t expect you to be this hot?” Jackson blurts out.

 

The red-haired boy looks up and Jackson catches the boy’s smiling and then he’s laughing, his mouth wide open and.

 

Jackson’s getting used to his overactive tail too.

 

 

 

a/n: don't hate meeeeeee, i know i have another on going markson fic, BUT. 
also, this fic takes place in the same au as this kaisoo and the first part of the second chapter explains how the powers they have work and yeah. if you're curious about it you can read it OTL