[Chenji] The Chosen One

100 Chances At Romance

 

Eunji/Jongdae, pg, 2.6k, fluff, from prompt No. 34 Lucky number

for EXOstan1288

 


 

It’s her fault, Eunji admitted it. It’s her fault that she decided it’s a good idea to let loose last  night at Minah’s party, taking one shot after another and ended up probably five glasses too many. It’s all her fault and Eunji already accepted the fact, but still it didn’t make her desire to strangle Bomi right now (or any other day) any less.

 

Bomi was there at the party with her, they came together, they drank together, they bumped into Mina and Hyejeong together and Hyejeong was all about drinking games, and then... And then the rest was a blur, but considering Eunji was all about challenges, she probably took everything Hyejeong proposed. Bomi, on the contrary, was all about fun and Eunji guessed seeing her making a fool of herself was more entertaining than getting drunk (plus she’s when she’s drunk so she never drank too much unless her boyfriend’s around).

 

She was a responsible friend last night, taking Eunji back to the dorm, changing her clothes and making sure she drank as much water as she could before she let her sleep, and even this noon when Eunji finally woke up shefound a glass of water and Tylenol on the bedside table.

 

It was all nice and wonderful, until Eunji got a text message on her phone, and when she opened it—

 

From: The King

Noona, you promised me your notes in Calc, can I come to get it this evening?

 

Eunji had to re-read the sender thrice, rubbed her eyes twice, re-read the message again, before her brain caught up and thought, The heck?!

 

She’s pretty sure she never named anybody as The King, did she save someone’s number last night when she’s intoxicated? She was about to text back to The King, but as if she was struck by an epiphany, Eunji scrambled through her phone to check her contacts list. 

 

And what she saw made her groan immediately. God-damnit Yoon Bomi!

 

It got to be her. Of course she would find it funny to change all the names in Eunji’s contacts into… The King, You Who Come From The Star, Jo Insung, Psychic Princess… Eunji stopped reading and groaned some more when she read someone named Call Me Daddy. Bomi even went as far as erasing her previous text messages and her chats so she couldn’t figure out who these people were. Curse Yoon Bomi and her idea of pranks.

 

And she didn’t even know Bomi’s name, so she couldn’t call her to curse her for real.

 

Eunji heaved a sigh and settled with sending messages to all of her contacts, refraining herself from typing Hi an friend of mine changes your name to ing hell and instead stayed within the appropriate Hi, my friend pulls a prank on me and changes your name into random names, may I know whose number is this?

 

Turned out The King was Wang Jackson their junior and Eunji thought that one was easy, she should have guessed it before.

 

Some people were angels, who replied immediately, and politely, without asking the random names given to them, such as;

 

From: Call Me Daddy

That will be very inconvenient! This is Kim Junmyeon’s number, I hope you get your contacts back soon, Eunji-ssi.

 

And Eunji thanked the heavens he didn’t ask because how could she explain the name to Junmyeon, their TA, who looks like a model student from a rich, private school with his neat sweater and his glasses, but secretly was Eunji’s and Bomi’s wet dream?

 

(“I’d call him ‘Daddy’ anytime, I bet he’s into s,” Bomi had whispered that one time Junmyeon taught them and Eunji had said “Amen!” whole-heartedly.)

 

Some people were human, who replied and asked curiously about their names, such as;

 

From: The Witch

Who? Bomi? It’s Chorong. What’s my name?

 

Eunji didn’t have the slightest remorse in her heart when she spilled the beans, even felt quite satisfied that Chorong promised to give ‘a lesson’ to Bomi the next time they met.

 

But some people were devils.

 

From: The Chosen One

Hmm, what’s my name?

 

To: The Chosen One

It’s The Chosen One.

 

From: The Chosen One

I like it. Keep it that way ;)

 

Some people were made to be burnt in hell, Eunji decided, Yoon Bomi and The Chosen One were a good example of those people.

 

***

 

“It’s not funny!” Eunji yelled, Tuesday during lunch break, glaring at Bomi who’s laughing her off until she’s collapsed to her boyfriend’s lap beside her. It’s not only Bomi who laughed at her, all of her friends were, but Bomi was the loudest, and she’s the reason of this mishap, so Eunji kicked her shin under the table.

 

Bomi’s whimper made her smirk, but then she snorted in disgust when Bomi asked her boyfriend to “Kiss me better,” or something along the way.

 

“So did you get all contacts back?” Baekhyun asked, half-chewing his ham sandwich. Jongdae pushed his jaw up, forcing him to close his mouth.

 

“I still can’t figure out some numbers,” Eunji grunted, taking out her phone to check it. She looked up to the occupants of their table – Bomi’s name was The Best Thing You Ever Have and then her boyfriend was Jo Insung (honestly it’s only Bomi who thought he looked like that actor), Chorong was The Witch while Kris was The Witch’s , Naeun was 10 out of 10, and— “You,” she pointed accusingly at Baekhyun. “I don’t get your name yet.” Baekhyun smiled sweetly at her scowl.

 

Chanyeol started to cackle and Eunji realized she didn’t know his name either. And also Jongdae’s, who’s grinning from Baekhyun’s side.

 

There were three names left on Eunji’s phone that hadn’t return to their original name; Darth Vader, The Chosen One, and Jigglypuff (that pink, cute Pokemon who loved to sing). While Eunji was trying to connect the possible dots between the pseudo names and her friends’ personalities, suddenly Chanyeol called her.

 

“Eunji!”

 

“Huh?”

 

Chanyeol tucked in his chin and he purposely made his voice deeper than it already was, breathier too. “I, am, your father.” And then he burst out laughing along with all of Eunji’s so-called-friends, high-fiving Baekhyun and Bomi after.

 

“Ha. Ha. Very original,” Eunji replied. Huffing, she changed Darth Vader to Park Chanyeol. Then she stared at her two remaining friends. “So? Who are you guys?”

 

“Eey,” Jongdae’s grin was positively wicked, “Come on, do you think it’s going to be that easy?” He made an unnecessary (but a perfect) wink to her when Eunji narrowed her eyes at him.

 

“What’s left?” Kris asked.

 

Eunji huffed again before she answered. “It’s The Chosen One and Jigglypuff.”

 

There’s moment of silence on their table, but Baekhyun’s smile or Jongdae’s grin didn’t change. It was Bomi’s boyfriend who glanced at the two and said, “Aaah. I get it. You’re smart.” His usual blank expression melted into a warm one instantly with his smile and the eye-smile that accompanied when he patted Bomi’s head.

 

The girl made a proud face, enjoying the ‘smart-dog’ treatment she received. “Right? Right?”

 

More people looked at Baekhyun and Jongdae, and they seemed to understand too because either they smiled like Naeun or giggled like Chorong or died of laughter like Chanyeol. “What, you all know who they are? YAAH!” Eunji tried to yell to get their answer but there’s no response from them.

 

She stared hard at the two; both like to sing so Jigglypuff could work for both of them, but Jigglypuff was cute so maybe… Baekhyun? The word was more often used to describe him rather than for Jongdae, but… But when Jongdae smiled…

 

Eunji watched the way the end of his lips curled up and she looked away.

 

And who the hell was The Chosen One?!

 

***

 

It was a terrible week for Eunji, and Bomi’s prank might start it but it’s hardly comparable to what followed. Three companies where she applied for internship next year rejected her, she got a below average result for one of her test, and she was late to a class with a strict (and mean) professor who failed her in his class.

 

So Friday night Eunji went to Walter, a bar nearby, more than ready to wallow and attend her own pity party – all by herself, because Bomi went on a trip with her boyfriend and Chorong must definitely at Kris’ house, doing more than study together.

 

Three hours later, Eunji was tipsy enough to laugh at whatever people said, but she still had her brain with her to reject offers from strangers to take her home with them. She placed her cheek on top of the counter, feeling comfortable with the cold surface. It’s probably time to bother her friends to pick her up.

 

Flipping her phone open, Eunji had to squint her eyes to read through the names. She skipped Bomi’s and Chorong’s name, usually they went out together so they could count on The Witch’s or Jo Insung to pick them up, but obviously those two options were also out now that Eunji’s alone. Um, Chanyeol? Hah, he’s probably getting drunk himself somewhere in the town. Baekhyun? Jongdae? But Eunji didn’t know their names.

 

Deciding The Chosen One should lived up to his name, Eunji opened the contact and saw the last digits of the phone number was triple seven. Huh, maybe that’s why Bomi named him The Chosen One. Whatever.

 

She typed Hey you The Chosen One come pick me up at Walter I’m smashed and closed her eyes, feeling both dizzy and sleepy (later in the morning Eunji realized that she had typed hehy yoyy tge xhosen 1 com pick. Up me walterr im smasdhe).

 

It felt like just two minutes away when something poked on her cheek. “… Eunji-yah, wake up, let’s get you home. Eunji-yah?”

 

With a lot of struggle Eunji cracked open one eye to find a familiar handsome face peering down at her. “… The chosen one!” she cheered, pulling her head up from the bar’s counter and raising her arms, only to lose her balance and fell onto The Chosen One.

 

“Oops, I’ve got you,” The Chosen One, Jongdae, tried to haul her up to stand straight. “Let’s go home, can you walk?”

 

Eunji pouted, stomping her feet. “Carry me!” she demanded, because the world was scary and it’s spinning and, she just, wanted to be carried.

 

“Are you serious,” Jongdae sighed, but he turned to his back nonetheless, bending down so Eunji could climb onto his back. “… God you’re heavy,” he huffed, hooking his arms under Eunji’s thighs. People in the bar stared at them but Jongdae paid them no attention, carrying a very happy, drunk Eunji out from the place.

 

Jongdae was lucky since Walter was close to the dorm that he could walk home while giving a piggy-back to Eunji. She seemed 100% comfortable on Jongdae’s back, resting her cheek on his shoulder.

 

“So… The chosen one!” Eunji called before she broke out into a fit of giggles.

 

“Hm?” Jongdae sounded amused.

 

“You…,” the girl inched closer, practically burying her nose on Jongdae’s neck. “… Smell great. Niceee.”

 

“Yeah, I know, thanks anyway,” he replied between short breaths, panting after a couple of minutes carrying Eunji. She’s not that heavy, but she moved a lot, and Jongdae had to be careful not to drop her.

 

Eunji furrowed her eyebrows, there’s something she wanted to ask, but she just couldn’t remember it. Oh wait, she remembered. “Whyyy? Why you’re The Chosen One? … Hmmm, ah! I know! Cause, what’s that, Jigglypuff, Jigglypuff is a , … and! And so is Baeeek?”  

 

Jongdae laughed. “That’s possible.” He went quiet for a while, and Eunji started to feel sleepy again. “… Because I should be. And guess Bomi knows, too, that I should be your chosen one.” He exhaled, realizing that Eunji had fallen asleep. “Everybody knows it but you, Jung Eunji.”

 

***

 

Eunji woke up, feeling a little bit disoriented, and she rolled on her bed, burying her head under the blanket while trying to block the sunlight that peeked into her room from the—She opened her eyes in a jolt. Who opened her curtains if she woke up just now?

 

“You’re awake?” a man’s voice, and Eunji’s first reaction was to glance down at herself. She’s fully clothed, even though someone removed her shirt and now she’s in her undershirt. “Eunji-yah?”

 

Oh, Eunji knew that voice. She sat up. “Jongdae?”

 

“That’s me,” the boy came to sit on Eunji’s bed, handing her a glass of orange juice. “Do you have a headache, should I get you Tylenol?”

 

Eunji shook her head, sipping her orange juice slowly as she tried to remember what happened last night. “… Why are you here?” she blurted out the question.

 

Jongdae tilted his head. “You asked me to stay.” He smiled. “And cried when I was about to leave, so.”

 

“… Oh God, I’m so sorry,” she rubbed her temple. She did remember a little bit, holding Jongdae’s arm tightly so he couldn’t leave. Eunji’s eyes landed on the pillow and a blanket on the floor – she didn’t have a couch on her room. The guilty feeling intensified. “You could… You could just leave me, you know.”

 

Jongdae smiled again, warmer now, and if Eunji was allowed to be conceited, it looked like a fond smile. Of her. He brushed Eunji’s hair that fell on her face away. “What if you wake up in the middle of the night and you miss me.”

 

Suddenly it hit her, bits of Jongdae’s words from last night when she’s about to fall asleep, I should be your chosen one, and bits of memories of Jongdae taking care of her all this time – he lent her his notes, he taught him subjects she didn’t understand, he left a seat in class beside him whenever Eunji was late, he always listened to whatever Eunji had to say; the simplest things.

 

It was that time, when their gaze met, that Eunji realized, and Eunji felt, that it was the moment for them to happen. So she closed her eyes, leaning forward, slightly pursing her lips, waiting for the kiss.

 

“… Girl,” instead, Eunji felt Jongdae’s finger on her forehead, pushing her back, and she opened her eyes. “You threw up last night and you haven’t brush your teeth, I may like you but I don’t like you that much, okay?”

 

She brought a hand to and puffed, trying to smell her own breath. It’s a good decision they didn’t kiss.

 

Jongdae stood up and Eunji felt a sudden rush of panic. What if she was wrong, what if Jongdae didn’t like her like her. “Jongdae!” She grabbed Jongdae’s hand. “Where are you going?”

 

It made him chuckled. “Relax, I’ll just go buy us breakfast, you take a shower. Then, we can back to… whatever you want us to do earlier.” He threw a very unnecessary (but super perfect) wink at her before leaving.

 

Eunji was left alone in her room, wondering whether she just got herself a boyfriend. She looked around and saw her phone on the bedside table.

 

She changed Jigglypuff to Byun Baekhyun, and after staring at The Chosen One for a couple of seconds, Eunji decided to let the name be.

 


 

 

 

 

I'm so sorry it's a crap and I'm recycling stories and I end up with yet another fluff >.< So I tried to come up with something different from ‘Lucky number’ and I went through about 7 plots and I even already wrote one of it but it didn’t feel right and in the end it’s just… this??????