This Boy

Fools

He was four when they first met.

 

That particular day, he woke up due to the loud, incessant cries of two young girls sitting beside him on the mattress. "Eomma! Eomma!" They were sobbing hysterically as they frantically looked for their parents who were nowhere to be found.

It was Sehun's first time seeing the both of them, but he immediately realized that they were their visitors. They must've arrived late last night. He wasn't so sure since he slept early, but he remembered his mother mentioning something about her friend paying a visit together with her daughters. Apparently, they were just the same age as him.

He had been so thrilled about their visit since yesterday. Being an only child, he certainly appreciated meeting other kids. It only meant having more playmates and friends aside from his neighbors and relatives. It was a good thing, really.

He would've personally waited for them to arrive last night, had he not been so sleepy due to previous day's events. He was tired. Besides, it was nearing nine o'clock in the evening and they still haven't arrived yet, thus it was almost his bedtime and before he knew it, he had already dozed off.

 

Hearing them cry first thing first in the morning, however, made him feel really terrible. He knew he had to something to make them feel better. But what is it, exactly?

He vividly recalled his father's own words. "Sehun-ah, you should never make a girl cry. Instead, you have to make her smile. Make sure she's always happy. Alright?" He wanted to make them smile but he didn't know how. He was at loss because he wasn't used to this, in the first place.

 

Their cries grew increasingly louder as time went by. He became more bothered. And so, out of impulse, he stood up. He unthinkingly approached one of the girls, and pressed his lips against hers to stop her from crying.

They shared a brief, innocent kiss. Upon parting, he gently spoke. "Don't cry anymore." He soothingly ran his fingers through her long, dark brown hair.

 

The girl's cheeks visibly reddened. She was no longer crying, but this time she was touching her lips. Her eyes were wide as she stared at him in surprise. ...And was that admiration evident in her face?

 

He then turned to face the other girl. She wasn't crying anymore. But when he leaned in to kiss her as well, she avoided him right away.

"Andwae!" She bluntly scoffed. "Unnie, let's go! I don't wanna be with this boy!" With her arms crossed, she huffed before walking away.

This boy, he flinched at her harsh words. "My name is Oh Sehun." He quietly introduced himself while pouting. He wanted to tell her that he's not just 'this boy', because he had a name for crying out loud! Besides, he only wanted to make them feel better. He just wanted to make friends. Why does it seem as if she hates him so much?

The girl, the one whom he previously kissed, spared him one last, seemingly apologetic glance before standing up and following her sister. "Wait for me, Sooyoung-ah!"

 

 

Sooyoung... He didn't know why, but he couldn't stop thinking about that name for the rest of the day.

 

*****

 

A/N: Loosely based from this particular scene in Superman Returns (since baby Minguk is such a cutiepie aw). Title was also inspired by Troye Sivan's song, Fools.