Melancholy Desire - part 1

The Usual Days

Hi there. This is going to be divided into two parts. Comments, upvotes, or any other feedbacks are very welcome here!

I hope you could have a nice time reading this. Enjoy! :)

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

            My plane was landing. The 5 hour-journey was totally worth it. My body felt really fresh after taking some sleep on the correct time, I was boarding on 1 am and going to arrive safely on 6 am. To tell you the truth, I shouldn't be here in Los Angeles. I should've been going back to Korea, back home, and enjoyed the one-week leave there. Unfortunately, it was her again who could pull me with her 'witchcraft', delayed my homecoming, and bought me a plane ticket to LA.

            Los Angeles in the morning offered a good weather with such serenity. Spring breeze in southern America was indeed fascinating. Not too cold yet not too hot, only coolness.

            As soon as I was outside the airport, I immediately searched for taxis. I also immediately wore a mask to hide my pillow face sans makeup. Wearing a mask could also hide my identity. In addition, I could feel that my private space is not being invaded by anyone and I could really seem so mysterious by others whenever I wear a mask--be it a surgeon mask or any types of it. Privacy and being mysterious are two things I've always been craving for. Though in reality, people in airport would never give a single damn to another people's appearance. Well, for my case, it's the contrary. I assume there would be some people who recognise me wherever I go, be it in Siberia or Pacific Islands.

            "Taxi!" I shouted to stop a vacant taxi who would pass through me. Unfortunately, that taxi only passed through without stopping. Damn, I cursed on my mind. I checked the time on my watch and just realised that I've already waited for almost an hour. Not wanting to wait any longer without certainty, I got inside the airport again to search for any cafés to fill my empty stomach. I only ordered a chicken sandwich and a hot milk for those were the only foods that could easily enter the Asian stomach of mine.

            After finishing the standard breakfast, I immediately grabbed my phone and turned it on. There was a short message. It was from her:

 

            'Don't forget to tell whenever you're arrived. - J'

 

            I only smiled seeing the message that ended with her special signature, -J.

 

            'p.s: Safe trip. Damn, I miss you.'

 

            I could feel that my lips formed a wider smile seeing the post-script. Dumb Blondie.

 

            'I've just finished my breakfast at LAX. Ready to go!' I replied. I also added a post-script:

 

            'p.s: I know. I know very well.'

           

             I instantly laughed seeing my reply to her. I was very curious on how she was going to reply this. It was not even a minute and my phone already vibrated. And yes, a reply from her:

 

            'What a reply. Come here. FAST.'

 

            What an attitude.

           

            'p.s: Don't you miss me?' she wrote. Idiot, I miss you, very much, very much that I'm willing to spend my work leave with you, abroad, in LA, only the two of us.

           

            'Just wait. The usual hotel right?' I replied. It was not even 30 seconds after I sent the message, I already got a reply. And this time the reply got more brief, compact, and clear:

 

            'Yeah and get your off NOW.'

 

            Your style of writing never changed, huh? I then immediately prepared myself to go and searched for taxis. Thankfully, this time was only a piece of cake, I got a comfy taxi and a driver with Korean descent. I could finally stop speaking English a bit. I never thought this little thing could simply make me really happy. As I arrived on my destination, I paid for the taxi ride and added some tip. I also thanked the nice driver.

            A hotel clerk greeted me and put my suitcase onto the baggage trolley. I went to the receptionist.

            "Good morning, how can we help you? Have you booked a room?" asked the hotel receptionist.

            "Yes, but no I haven't booked any room since a friend of mine already stayed here." I answered.

            "May I know your friend's name?" asked the receptionist again who was ready to search for any names that were going to be blurted from my mouth.

            "Jung, Jessica Jung," I answered calmly.

            "You must be Ms. Sooyoung Choi, right? Ms. Jung already told me that you're coming today. Her room is number 224. It's on the second floor and here's the key. You must be very special to her," said the receptionist with a sheepish smile.

            "Eh? What are talking about?" I asked. I'm a bit confused with him.

            "Nothing Ms. Choi, by the way," the receptionist said. "The elevator is on the right side. Have a pleasant stay!"

            "Th... Thanks" I answered and still got curious..

            I immediately went to the elevator to go upstairs. I hurried a bit that I almost forgot to tell the hotel clerk to bring my suitcase upstairs.

            "Which floor, ma'am?" asked the elevator operator with a friendly manner.

            "Second floor, please," I answered.

            In a flash, we were already on the second floor.

            "Here you go, ma'am," said the elevator operator.

            "Thanks," I answered and got out from the elevator.

            My eyes searched for any room signs. Room 224 was on the left corridor. I didn't realise that my feet went faster than usual and in seconds I was already in front of her room. Damn, my heart beat uncontrollably and anxiety has fully got me.

            "Ma'am," said the hotel clerk who startled me a bit. "Do you want me to bring your baggage into your room?"

            Thank heavens, the hotel clerk came in the right time and made me forget a bit to my anxiety. "No thanks, you could leave my baggage here. I can put them inside by myself."

            "Okay then, ma'am," the hotel clerk said and put my suitcase down from the baggage trolley. "So, could I leave now?"

            "Sure," I said as I searched for a dollar bill to give him the tip. "Thanks a lot."

            "You're welcome, ma'am," the hotel clerk smiled. "And thanks for the tip."

            Soon after the hotel clerk left, both anxiety and edginess got me. It seems like all parts of my body were prohibited to even knock or press the bell. Unfortunately, my index finger broke the prohibition and immediately pressed the bell twice.

            "Coming," I could hear her voice, not a clear one but it was definitely her voice. God, what to do now. Her footsteps were getting nearer and nearer. She unlocked the key and...