the after-christmas glow ★

Tinsel and Trees

merry late christmas happy post christmas it's almost new year's wow 

“Why,” Sungyeol breathed out, tired and heavy, “is there so much tinsel.”

                “Because it’s festive,” Myungsoo answered right back. “Also because it was on sale and I couldn’t pass it up.”

                The older groaned, stomping around their Christmas tree and glaring at the cardboard boxes spread all around. It was their first Christmas living together and everyone told them it would be a momentous occasion that they would keep in their hearts together as a positive memory – and it was.

                It was just the cleaning-up process that wasn’t.

                “Aren’t we supposed to take down the Christmas tree after New Year’s, though?” Myungsoo suddenly thought, sitting up straight from his position on the ground. He was on picking-up-fallen-leaves duty.           

                “It doesn’t matter, the tree’s already half dead and either we finish or go through the next five days with an ugly tree because I refuse to put the rest of the tinsel back on.”

                “Can we get another tree?”

                “No one sells Christmas trees after Christmas, Myungsoo. That’s kinda the point.”

                “Don’t they usually sell Christmas stuff after Christmas, though? Like, really cheap?”

                “Yeah, but they do that before Christmas, too,” Sungyeol snorted. “For example, your eighty pounds of tinsel.”

                “But I didn’t buy those before Christmas,” Myungsoo said simply, patting the bottommost branch of the tree and watching the excess leaves fall off. “I bought it last year for this year. You know. For our first Christmas.”

                “You’ve thought about it since then?” Sungyeol’s hands were still covered with tinsel, but all of a sudden it didn’t seem as restricting as it had before.

                “Yeah,” Myungsoo shrugged, trying his best not to look sheepish. “I also bought, like, three bags of mistletoe but I lost those in the move.”

                “It’s not like we even needed it.”

                “But it would’ve been more festive. We could’ve set up a mistletoe scavenger hunt or something trying to clean it up but instead we’re picking fake leaves off the ground of a fake tree – which reminds me, we have to reuse this tree again next year so why are all of these dumb leaves falling – and trying to wrestle our way out of tinfoil and losing.”

                “I am not losing,” Sungyeol spat out, glaring at the silver pieces of attached plastic coiled through his arms. “I’m just…having difficulties.”

                “Like the way you had difficulties putting the star on top of the tree?”

                “Okay, it’s not like you could’ve done any better.”

                “I would’ve admitted that I needed help and gotten a stool.”

                “Pfft. Pick up your dead tree leaves.”

                “It has to be alive to be dead.”

                Sungyeol stopped stuffing the tinsel into the bag for a minute to turn and look at his boyfriend on the ground. “You’re not even doing anything!”

                “I’m picking up the leaves!” Myungsoo protested, waving his arms around all the fallen green plastic.

                “And throwing them back on the ground! You don’t even have a trashcan.”

                Myungsoo blinked for a good second, then sighed. “Our entire apartment’s a dump, it’s ok if I use the ground as a trash can.”

                Sungyeol rolled his eyes, then threw the last of the tinsel away from him. “It’s literally been nearly three hours and we’ve got nothing done but the tinsel. Wait, let me correct that, I’ve got nothing done.”

                “Okay fine, I’ll get started on the ornaments.”

                “They’re glass, I’m begging you, please don’t break them.”

                Myungsoo froze in his spot, having stood up and ready to pick off a red sphere directly in front of him. “Why the heck do we have glass ornaments?”

                “They were the only ones I could steal from my parent’s,” Sungyeol shrugged. “Mostly because we never used them. Because we were scared to break them.”

                “So you thought it’d be ok to bring them here?”

                “Just be careful and it’ll all be okay.”

                “I bet all of these ornaments cost more than our apartment rent,” Myungsoo muttered, feeling how heavy one single one was. How did the tree even hold them up and not fall to its demise? Also, how did Sungyeol put all of these up without breaking any that Myungsoo would notice?

                He was about to turn to ask his boyfriend that question when he saw the enlightened look in Sungyeol’s eyes.

                “That’s a genius idea!” Sungyeol cried. “We could see these! And since you said everything’s on sale after Christmas, why don’t we just sell them for a ton of money and then say it’s 40% off when it’s not, but someone’s gonna get conned into buying it since they think they’re saving money. Genius, this is absolutely genius!”

                “But…aren’t these your parents?”  

                “So what? It’s okay, like I said, they don’t use them. If they can’t find them, it’ll just be the sad fact that they lost them or they disintegrated. Or something, I didn’t major in science for a reason.”

                “Why don’t we just sell all our Christmas stuff?”

                “I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not, but no, because people could buy all this stuff at real stores for cheaper. Who else sells vintage glass ornaments of an assortment of colors? Oh , that was genius. Vintage glass ornaments, assortment of colors. Open an ebay account Soo, we’re gonna make it big.”

                “First question though, how do we get all of these down without breaking them? Like, drag our mattress out and throw them on it as we get to them?”

                Sungyeol squinted, snapping and pointing at Myungsoo. “Good thinking, but how do we get the mattress off the frame?”

                “Or how about you take them off and hand them to me, and I’ll put them into the box, all one-bye-one?” Myungsoo raised his eyebrows.

                “Also genius. Let’s do this.”

                As Sungyeol walked over to meet Myungsoo on the other side of the tree, the younger could only start giggling at seeing his boyfriend’s full appearance.

                “You have tinsel all over you,” he laughed, taking a hand and fluffing his hand over Sungyeol’s hair. “How did you even get it in your hair?”

                Sungyeol’s excitement for his new business deal died for a minute and he made a weird look with his face. “It gets stuck everywhere.”

                “If you stand against the sun, it shines the silver all over you. You’re sparkling.”

                “Thanks, it’s the after Christmas glow,” Sungyeol sighed, picking a few more pieces off his head. “You’re not looking so great yourself – what’d you do, roll in the green leaves?”

                Myungsoo’s eyes flew forward and he watched as Sungyeol reached up and picked out the darker, less noticeable green pieces of plastic out of his hair. He tried long and hard to think about the cause of it before stopping and glaring at Sungyeol.

                “It was you! I would be sitting there and you’d just shake the tree every three seconds trying to pull the tinsel off and the leaves just fell on my hair.”

                “Great,” Sungyeol murmured, leaning his head further up to reach the back of Myungsoo’s hair. “Now, our shower’s just gonna be filled with a bunch of plastic.”

                “The excitement of post Christmas,” Myungsoo sighed, going around Sungyeol’s arms to pick at the individual pieces of tinsel left on his hair.

                “If this happens every year, we’re gonna be ruined.”

                “But it’ll be okay, right, because we’re gonna be ruined together.”

                “Great, you’ll take the tinsel and I’ll take the tree. We can switch what gets showered on us.”

 

 

BUT WHAT IF IT'S LOVE THAT'S GETTING SHOWERED ON U GUYS

this jumped around a lot im sorry i literally wrote it as i was watching alias ill be ok

<33333 hope you guys had a great christmas!!! good luck cleaning up haAHah

 

ps ive actually never used tinsel so..u know..writing from false experience im srry

 

hope u guys have a great rest of the holidays ♥