Day 1

10 Days

"Goodbye Dad and Mum! I'm off for work!" you waved to the picture frame beside your bed and went out. Today is the first day of the job that you have been introduced to through your  friend. It's just a bookfest so it will only be 10 days. But little did you know that these 10 days will be the biggest change in your life.

 

You are just a normal 18 years old girl but you're a little different because you are an orphan. You have been fighting all by yourself since you were 8 years old. Your parents passed away in an accident when they are on their way to fetch you from your friend's house. You have never  forgiven yourself since that day because you felt that if you didn't insist on going to your friend's birthday party, they wouldn't have died.

 

Today seems even colder as it starts to snow even harder as you think about the past events.

 

You shook off the depressing thoughts as you saw your best friend who introduced  you the job, Nami come to you and smile  as if nothing happen just like how you have did to get by these past 10 years. "Hey Vicky!" Nami hugged you. "Hey." you said as you hugged back. You guys start to make your way to the hall quickly to get out of the cold weather.

 

At the entrance, you guys are required to declare everything that you brought. As you were checking what you brought, you suddenly felt someone bump hard into you. You lost your grip of your bag and everything in your bag came dropping out. You turned around only to see a guy with the smallest eyes but cutest eye smile you have ever seen. "Sorry!" he smile apologetically as he quickly bend down to help you pick your things up. You snapped out of your trance and bend down to collect your stuff too. Suddenly, you can feel many eyes staring at you as you pick your things up. You did not expect to attract so much attention! You quickly pick up your stuff and grab whatever the guy have picked up for you and ran into the hall after throwing the declaration form at the guard and letting them check what you have quickly. Stunned, that guy looked at your wallet that is in his hand and looked at the direction that you ran. he kept your wallet and then walked into the hall after showing the guard his id card.

 

Huffing and puffing, you reach the booth that you and Nami is in charge of. "Why are you panting? Are you okay?" Nami patted your back as she look at you concerned. "Y-yeah. I-I'm fine-e." You panted trying to catch your breath. "Okay." Nami look at you skeptically. "Anyway, here's your apron, we are all required to wear this." She said as she pass you your apron. "Thanks." you said as you finally catch your breath.

 

"All staff alert, we are letting the customers in right now." the staff announced. People start to stream in and soon the whole hall is filled with families buying school supplies for their children.

 

"Hello ma'm, can i help you?" you ask a woman who was looking at the products from your booth. "Yeah, what is the difference between these two erasers?" she asked. "oh, this one in green will stick all the dust together so it wont be messy as your kids erase their work. The one in blue is the normal kind of erasers that we normally use." you explained. "Oh i see. Okay, then I'll get the green one then. Thanks!" she smiled as she put the erasers into her basket. "Thank you!" you thanked her with a smile. "Mummy! Can i get this?" the daughter of the woman come running to your booth with a cute photo book in her hands. "Sure sure." the mother smile and then hold her daughter's hand as they both walk happily away in hands. You look at them enviously as you think of how you will be like if your mother is still alive. Without knowing, your tears start to flow. After informing Nami that you are going to the toilet, you ran to the resting area which is empty right now because it's not break yet and hide in the corner and finally let your tears flow out freely. Its been a long time since you have been like this. Since this is a bookfest, there are so many families so you can't help it but start to think about yours. As you think more about it, you cried even harder. The pain in your chest is excruciating. You felt like you are dying. You have to endure these for another 9 days. Its only the first day of work but you have already start to dread work. You went to the toilet and wash your face and went back to your booth. The day pass by normally. But you know you're dying a little as you watch all the families happily shopping together.

 

Little did you know, all of your actions are actually being watched by a particular person who have his attention caught by you since this morning when he bumped into you.