Final?

I'm Such a Failure (Real Story)

12 grade students rushed out from their respective classroom as soon as the exam supervisor dismissed them. The once tension filled atmosphere turned noisy with students talking and discussing about the latest test paper they had went through. Sounds of regret and dissatisfactory could be heard coming out from most of the students.

"Urgh! I can't remember a thing from what I studied"

"I'm gonna fail!"

"What's the answer for question 21?"

 

"Hey, Seira" One from the three boys called their friend who had been quiet during the whole discussion.

Seira didn't respond, her eyes only gazed towards a distance. One by one, the group of friends minus Seira stopped walking and directed their attention towards the oblivious girl. Only when she didn't feel anyone's presence beside her did she halted her steps and turn around, only to get stared at by 5 pair of eyes.

"W-What?"

"You okay, girl?" another girl asked, without answering her.

"Why shouldn't I be?"

Like a switch, all of their expressions turned bright as they strode near Seira. Two of her girl friends each grabbed her by the arms which resulted her to loose her balance. Luckily, their hold was tight enough to avoid her from falling face-flat.

"You're right. If anyone feels happy and relieved now, it should be you. Afterall, you are a smart girl."

No one noticed Seira flinched for a millisecond before her lips curved into a shy smile.

"So, how was the test?" they continued asking her. "It's alright, I guess."

"By alright, you mean you did great."

"Y-Yeah.."


After the months of hard studying, the group of friends decided to go to the ice rink to have some fun. 

Seira only stood at her place, leaning onto the wall without any plan on moving. Not that she doesn't know how to, it was just because she want to appreciate the peace and silence. But that was soon to be disturbed by the presence of her boyfriend, Joonmyun.

 

"Ah! Slow down!"

"Come and get me, slowpoke!"

"Yah! Byun Baekhyun!"

"What are you doing not skating? I thought you love this place." he asked.

"Is that why you rent this place for the whole day?"

"Of course! If my girlfriend love it, I'll love it too."

Soft giggles escaped .

With a light push on the wall, Seira glided freely to the centre of the almost empty rink. Joonmyun watch as she does some tricks, a smile plastered on his handsome face. His girlfriend looked like an angle with her graceful skating. 


*Months later*

Languages - 96(A)
English - 89(A)
Mathematics - 79(B)
History - 92(A)
Biology - 90(A)
Chemistry - 86(A)
Physics - 93(A)
Addition: Visual Arts - 100(A+)

Seira came out of the principal office and was suddenly attacked with a bear hug from her two friends. The result slip she held tightly was pullen away. Out of the all the school students, she was one of the four students that had gotten the best marks. 

While the girls gave Seira a bone crushing hug, the three boys examining the single paper.

To be honest, all five of them envy her smartness. Even if she didn't get straight A's, she at least didn't fail any subjects like them. 


A couple was walking in a comfortable silent with their hands linked. Both of them wore thick jackets because of the cold weather. There's still a few days left before it was reported for it to snow.

"Hey, are you okay?"

"Hm? Why'd you ask?"

"You look kinda upset"

"I- I do?"

"Yeah. But I think I know how to cheer you up."

With a knowing smile, Seira and Joonmyun head to a cafe and brought themselves hot chocolate.


The whole day, she has been staring her result slip, as if hoping for the single B will turn to another A. But even the dumbest person on Earth knows that will never happen.

If it was another person, he or she would scream out of joy to get such marks. But now we are talking about Yoon Seira, the daughter of Yoon SeungHoon, the most respected businessman. Most importantly, the younger sister of the Yoon Sora.

Yoon Sora, the genius who is now working as a CEO in one of their father's company despite being just a few years older than Seira. That 20 year old genius.

Just only one mark was what it needed for the her to get the straight A's. The frustration, regret and anger she felt for not working harder. So what if she didn't sleep? If only she stayed up awake for another few more hour. If only she had been more careful answering the questions. She could have saved herself from getting the B.

All of her efforts now has gone to waste by just a mere mark. All those late night studies resulted to nothing. All of those canceled date with her boyfriend where he had been understanding enough. What's the point of aceing the other subjects if she still won't get what she had hoped for?

Seira glance at the frame on the wall just next to her bed. Instead of a picture, it desplayed a document. Another slip. A slip from a few years ago which doesn't belong to her and never will. A slip with the name Yoon Sora printed on the top left.

Unlike her's, the slip was filled with A plusses.

Languages - 100(A+)
English - 100(A+)
Mathematics - 100(A+)
History - 100(A+)
Biology - 100(A+)
Chemistry - 100(A+)
Physics - 100(A+)
Addition: Foreign Language - 100(A+)

 

Suddenly, her phone vibrated.

Aunt SuShin asked about your result. Can you take a picture of your slip so I can send it to them?

- Sis

Why do you have to be my sister?

She knows it wasn't her sister's fault. Sora has done nothing bad to Seira. Never once had she raised her voice nor acted cocky to her. 

If only she wasn't a genius, they would have been the best of sisters.

Then again, Seira can't help but to hate her aswell. She was jealous on Sora's never ending achievements. There was times Seira gave her sister the cold shoulder but Sora always shrugged it of thinking it as her monthly moodiness. It made her think she was the evil one instead of Sora.

If perfection exist, Sora could be the epitome of it. 


Few seconds after the door was knocked from the outside, the door creaked open slowly, only a part of Seira's face was shown through the small gap. Yoon Sora stood behind it with a wide smile present on her flawless face.

"Hey, Sis!" Sora chirped and without being invited, she pushed the door open and marched inside merrily. Seira could only watch with an expression no one can read.

Sora spotted the exam slip on Seira's study desk and reached out for it. She let out a delighted squeal after reading her results. Turning around, she gave Seira a delighted grin -telling her how proud she is. Then she took out her mobile phone and snap a picture of it.

"What are you doing?"

"Sharing you're results so everyone will know how smart my sister is. I sent you a message though. Didn't you received it?"

"No"

"Really? My mistake the- Hei! The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult! When did you get this book? I havent went to the bookstore for ages! What's this story about? I bet its as good as her other ones. After all she is Jodi Picoult! My idol! Oh when will you come to Korea..." 

Sometime Seira wondered how a childish girl like her can be a genius. 

"Hey, sis. Can I borrow this after you finished reading?"

No... "Sure, why not"

Another knock was heard. This time it's a maid.

"Dinner is ready"

Sighing tiredly, Seira said, "Give us a minute, please"


"What were you thinking when you posted that picture? Now everyone will know!"

"But Mom! Seira did great!"

"Her result isn't anywhere near 'great'! Delete those pictures right now! Don't embarrass me with that girl's result"

"Urgh! Fine! I will!"

Without them knowing, a figure near the door heard everything.

A tear slide down her cheek. Her knuckles turned white after awhile of holding it into a fist with her nails digging her skin. Knowing she will break down if she hears more, she left.

Why am I so worthless? I'm such a failure.

Her mother didn't realize that those simple words were enough to shatter her heart into pieces.

I hate myself...


*Flashback*

It was a week before the exam. Seira came back from the library and entered her room. Before she could land herself on the bed, her eyes found itself staring a nicely wrapped box on her desk. The box was small but long in size. There wasn't any note attached to it so Seira unwrapped the box slowly, making sure to not tear the decorated paper.

Indeed, inside was an expensive looking fountain pen with a small note.

Do well in your exam, my dear.   

-Your Mother

The note was short and simple. Yet Seira felt warm just reading it.

"Hi, dear. Do you like the gift?" her mother entered her room with a smile.

"Yes. Thank you, mother." Seira can feel the awkwardness with her speaking almost formally with her own mother. 

"Anything for my daughter. Do you want anything more? I'll buy it for you."

"No. This is enough."

"Where have you been the whole day? The maid said you were out."

"I was at the school library."

"You're working hard right? I hope you'll do great. If you do, I'll invite all you schoolmates for a celebration party."

"I- I'll try."

"I wish you good luck. Don't dissappoint me."

That encouragement was the reason why Seira stayed up longer that night.


Seira woke up from her sleep exactly at 6. After cleaning herself, she walked down the stairs with her phone. Breakfast was served on the dining table. 

Seira ate her pancake while chatting with Joonmyun on her phone. Once in awhile, she would smile or blush reading his reply. During those times where she think she's alone, Joonmyun had always been there to prove it wrong.

Their conversation ended with both of them agreeing to meet later that day. A few minutes later, Sora walked down the stairs followed by their parents.

"A few friends of ours will come by for lunch, today. Make sure both of you wore something presentable. I want you to meet them" their mother stated.

"Yes, mom" Sora answered for both of them.

During the entire breakfast, Seira only looked down, afraid to meet eyes with any of her family.


"It's an honour meeting you."

"Aww! You're so adorable." a woman said while pinching Seira's cheek. "Seira was it? I heard that you had received your exam results. How did you do?”

“My son said that this year, the questions were harder.”

“I bet you did great, just like your sister.”

Seira wasn’t given the chance to answer when her mother interrupted. “Lunch is almost ready. We should continue at the dining room.”

Just like that, the topic was forgotten.


After lunch, the adults talked and talked without paying anymore attention to the two sisters. “Will there be any celebration? I remember last time when Sora received hers, you had a huge party just for her.”

“I’m afraid I don’t have the time this year. Seira was never the social type anyway so I don’t think she would mind.”

Seira didn’t know how to feel. She was only a few meters away but her mother talked as if she’s not there. It was true she wasn’t the social type, but that didn’t mean she doesn’t want to celebrate it, especially with her parents.

“Mom, may we excuse ourselves?”

“Oh! Of course! Both of you may leave” 

With that, the two siblings left. 

 

***Author***

I dont feel great. In fact I feel somehow depressed. Why did I even decided to write this?

I'm literally writing about my life and what I have been going through for the past days... 85% of what inside this story is my life... Though the feelings are real... But unlike Seira, I dont have any boyfriend or friends that I can share my problems with... 

Is there any kind soul out there that can cheer me up? I think I need help...