Final

Farewell Letter

To Sehun,

Hello. How have you been? Hopefully, you're happy with where you are now. If you're wondering about me, don't worry. I'm fine and dandy as usual, you know. Besides, compared to you, I'm less worrisome.

Do you remember how we first met? We were the so-called leftouts in high school, because we are just so introverted. Then, we became friends since there was no one else we could befriend. Actually, could our relationship be considered friends back then? That would be exaggerating it. After all, we were just using each other so that during class activities, we won't seem left out. 

Do you remember when we first became true friends? Hmm... I think it was during the later half of the year when we found out that both of us love dancing. Afterwards, there was no more awkward silence between us. Isn't it funny that it took us six months to finally get closer? Our socializing skills were really the worst.

Do you remember how you would force me to buy you bubble tea every single day? Ah, nobody can ever beat you when it comes to fanboying over bubble tea. Seriously, I wasn't surprised if you would eventually get diabetes. Yet, it was always fulfilling to see you happily sipping your beloved bubble tea, as if your life was depending on it.

Do you remember how you would drag me to watch horror movies while I would cling on you everytime a ghost appeared? Right, and you used to laugh at me for being such a coward. Even so, I still remember how you would scream whenever I threw fake bugs at you for revenge. See see, now who is the scaredy cat?

Do you remember... remember when I first said 'I like you' to you? You would shrug it off and tell me that it wasn't like me to say such words. You would say, "Oh, I know that silly. I like you too!" But hey, did you really not know or were you pretending not to know that I didn't mean it that way? 

Do you remember your first meeting with Soojung? She is an introvert like us, and when you first met her, I knew that she would be someone you want to protect. Never had I imagined that you liked her romantically. When you told me that, I thought that the world just collapsed on me and I couldn't get out. Still, you know me. If the two of you genuinely liked each other, then I wouldn't mind... as long as you two are happy.

Now that you're gone, Soojung is weeping everyday. Can you imagine it? Our usual cheerful bunny, Jung Soojung, who never seems fazed even when others ridicule or mock her, is shedding tears everyday. It's upsetting even for me, even if I want to act tough in front of you and Soojung. 

I don't get it. Why would you sacrifice your life for me, silly? Why would you? Soojung needs you, but nobody else needs me. In fact, I wanted to leave long ago. I'm selfish; I don't think I can bear to see you and Soojung happy together, and actually, I don't want to see anyone happy while I'm all alone, depressed. You're not helping things either; you're forcing me to see a crying Soojung everyday and engulf my life with guilt. Do you think I'm happy? Do you think Soojung is happy?

I'm not going to say thank you for that, Sehun, because I'm not thankful. But don't worry; I will live well and take care of Soojung for you, if that is what you wish. After all, she is my sister.

You probably won't see or read this letter, but it's okay. I know you're watching Soojung and me from above. To conclude this letter, thank you for everything, Sehun. Really, thank you. And... I love you.

Sooyeon




After she stops writing, a tear slids out of her eyelid, landing onto the piece of paper. Hurriedly, she folds the paper and slips it into the envelope beside it before more tears can drop and destroy the precious letter.

He won't even see this letter. You're being idiotic, Sooyeon.

She mentally rebukes herself, although she still clutches the envelope tightly, as if it is her life. Inside her, she knows that she is hoping for something that will never happen. A miracle, perhaps. A miracle that he will be back. Glancing at the clock, she realizes that it is time. Putting a faux leather jacket on herself, she heads to her sister's room.



"Soojung? It's time," she states before knocking on the door of her sister's room. However, all there is is silence. Slightly worried, she tries to open the door only to find it locked.

"Soojung, let me in!" she yells, desperately banging onto the door. Knowing how her sister is like, she may really do something silly, and after her best friend, she cannot lose her sister too. Finally, after what seems like an eternity, Soojung unlocks the door.

"Just leave me alone, unnie! It's because of you that Sehun has died!" Soojung shrieks, throwing pillows and whatever things she can grab on to her older sister. Sooyeon stares at her, as if she is seeing a ghost, as if she cannot believe that the person in front of her is her sister. So, in the end, everyone is going to blame her for Sehun's death? In the end, Oh Sehun is all that matters to Jung Soojung, not the well-being of Jung Sooyeon.

"Okay. I'll leave you alone," she calmly says as she turns to leave. As if on cue, all the dark memories she has so wished to forget begin to fill her mind.

"You can't even do this?"

"Hey Jung Sooyeon, stop acting like you're all high and mighty!"

"I like Soojung."

"It's because of you that Sehun has died!"

Finally, she snaps.



"Oh Sehun, you'll have a chance to go to the mortal world to fulfill your last wish. No, you won't be able to talk to anyone or touch anything there, but at least you'll be able to see and hear," a voice sounds from nowhere, surprising Sehun. Wanting to know how Sooyeon and Soojung are doing, he nods. 

A second later, he finds himself magically teleporting into space, arriving into Earth a few seconds later. Like what that unknown person or creature mentioned, he is unable to touch or talk to anyone. Everyone is passing through him, some rushing to go to work and others happily gossiping about the latest news and trends.

The first place he desires to go is the cemetery where he is buried. Immediately, he is teleported to the cemetery. He never likes cemeteries; they remind him of his dead mother way too much. Unfortunately for him, he is now buried in one. As much as he wants to laugh at this turn of events, he remembers how he is unable to. Sighing, he approaches his memorial plaque that writes:

Oh Sehun

April 12, 1994 - December 15, 2019

Below the plaque is a white envelope and on it is the writing:

To: Sehun

From: Sooyeon

Eyes widening, he hurries to grab the envelope only to have it pass through his hands. In desperation, he makes his last wish...

Please... Let me at least read this letter and respond to it.

...and disappears afterwards.



To Sooyeon,

When you feel overwhelmed, please let it all out. It's not healthy to keep everything to yourself. Please take care of Soojung. By the way, I can safely tell you that she needs you as much as she needs me too.

P.S. Tell Soojung that I love her.

P.S.S. I loved you too.

Sehun




But it is too late.