A mother's promise

Hall of Fame

On the 21st of September 1992, a baby boy was born in Gyeonggi-do hospital. His father looked down at the small bundle in his wife's arm and frowned.

 

"He's a bit small isn't he?" said Mr Kim.

 

As if suspecting that his father was saying something negative about him, the baby frowned in his general direction.

 

"Actually Mr Kim, he is perfectly healthy." the doctor supplied helpfully.

 

But Mr Kim wasn't convinced. "Jongdeok was a lot bigger than-"

 

His wife sushed him. "He's perfect. My perfect little boy, Jongdae." Jongdae gurgled happily at his mother. "You're going to be great, you're going to achieve so much and we promise to love you no matter what."

 

Mr Kim raised an eyebrow. "As long as he does as we say."

 

Mrs Kim frowned at the retreating back of her husband as he went to fill out some forms. "Don't listen to your father, Jongdae." she said to the yawning baby. "I promise to love you and support you unconditionally, no matter what, ok."

 

And so, Kim Jongdae was lulled into peaceful sleep by his mother's promise.

 

 

 

"Jongdeok, how was school sweetheart?" Mrs Kim asked her eldest son when he came through the front door.

 

"I don't know why you bother to ask me the same question everyday when the answer is always the same. It was fine." Jongdeok stormed upstairs.

 

Mrs Kim's smile faltered. "He's just stressed because of school, jagiya, don't pay too much attention to him." Mr Kim said when he saw his wife's face.

 

Mrs Kim put on a smile. "You're right." She turned to Jongdae. "How was school honey?"

 

Jongdae went up to his mother, hugged her and gave her a kiss on the cheek. He had watched the entire exchange between his mother and his brother and he knew just how much it had hurt her. "It was great eomma! Mrs Lee said my singing was sooo good. She said I could grow up to be an idol!"

 

"What nonsense! I need to tell that woman to stop filling your head with junk." Mr Park said when he overheard. "Why don't you focus on sports like your brother, why do you always have to focus on music?"

 

"Because I like music appa. Besides, all the sports clubs are filled up now."

 

"Next term, I want you to try out for all the sports clubs. Do you understand?" Mr Kim said sternly.

 

"Yes appa."

 

Satisfied that he had completed his fatherly duty for the day, Mr Kim went into the living room to watch tv. Mrs Kim ushered Jongdae into the kitchen.

 

"You don't have to be like your brother Jongdae, just be yourself." Mrs Kim said as she busied herself trying to make snacks for Jongdae and Jongdeok.

 

"I know eomma, I don't really listen to appa anyway." Mrs Kim laughed. "I do like sports but I just like music better, is that bad?"

 

"Of course not darling." She handed Jongdae two plates with snacks and drinks on them. "One's for you and one's for your brother."

 

Jongdae smiled. "Thank you eomma."

 

Jongdae exited the kitchen and Mrs Kim smiled after him. At the age of 7, Jongdae was a good boy. Well at least to her he was a good boy, to her husband he was a bad egg. She didn't share her husband's sentiments, mainly because she didn't see anything wrong with her babies turning out differently from each other, everyone was different after all. To her husband, Jongdeok was the golden boy and Jongdae needed as much moulding as possible. To her, Jongdeok needed an attitude adjustment but she guessed it was because of the puberty. She shuddered to think what Jongdae would be like when he went through puberty.

 

Just then Jongdae entered the kitchen with his plate and glass. "Do you want more honey?"

 

"No eomma, I want to tell you about the rest of my day. I was only beginning when appa rudely interrupted me."

 

Mrs Kim's smile stretched across her face. Jongdae always liked making his mother smile, especially as his father and hyung would always put a frown on her face. Jongdae was truly a mama's boy and he didn't mind that one bit. He'd rather be mama's boy over daddy's prodigy any day.

 

 

 

"You want to do what?!" screamed Mr Kim.

 

Jongdeok's eyes widened and his mouth fell open. His father rarely shouted like this. He edged closer to his mother who was equally shocked.

 

"I want to become a singer." Jongdae said calmly. It seemed like he was the only calm one in the room.

 

His father seethed and advanced upon him. Before he could reached Jongdae, his mother placed herself between them with Jongdeok at her side.

 

"Step aside!"

 

Mrs Kim didn't pay any attention to him. "Jongdeok, take your brother to his room."

 

Jongdeok grabbed Jongdae and made for the door. "I'm not going to change my mind appa. I'm going to become a singer whether you like it or not."

 

Mr Kim lunged at him but Mrs Kim blocked his way and Jongdeok closed the living room door before running up the stairs with Jongdae. Jongdeok took Jongdae to his room and locked the door.

 

"Put your headphones in and turn it up to the loudest volume." Jongdeok told Jongdae.

 

Jongdae narrowed his eyes at his brother. "Why should I listen to you?"

 

"For once in your life Kim Jongdae, just do as your told, because for once in my life, I'm trying to help you."

 

Jongdae was astounded by the sincerity in his brother's voice. He quietly did as he was told and listened to music as loud as possible whilst watching his brother's expression for any clues on what was going on downstairs. Jongdeok tried to keep his face as neutral as possible but sometimes he'd blanch or wince and Jongdae would immediately guess that it wasn't going well.

 

After 1 hour and 27 minutes, Jongdeok opened the door to let his mother into Jongdae's room. There were dried tear tracks on her face but no signs of physical harm, Jongdeok quietly left the room after that observation. Jongdae silently took off his headphones and went to hug his mother. His mother hugged him back tightly then made him sit on his bed. She sat beside him and took a hold of his hands.

 

"Jongdae, the day you were born, I made a promise to you. I promised to love and support you no matter what. So if you want to be a singer, I will support you."

 

"Thank you eomma." Jongdae said quietly.

 

"Your father didn't make the same promise so you have to prove to him that you can really do it, ok? You are a smart boy Jongdae, so you know that the chances of you making it are very slim."

 

"Yes eomma."

 

"So we want you to finish your education before you audition for any companies, ok?"

 

"If I don't get in?"

 

"Then do music at university and keep auditioning until you do get in. You've loved music since you were a little boy, your music teachers would always compliment you and you'd always be the happiest when you were doing music. I honestly believe you can do this. Now get some sleep and avoid your father for a few days, he's in a bad mood but he'll get over it."

 

Jongdae grabbed his mother into a tight hug and tried to keep the tears from falling. "You don't know how much this means to me. Thank you eomma."

 

Mrs Kim ruffled Jongdae's hair and kissed the top of his head before exiting the room.

 

At the age of 15, Jongdae make a promise to himself that he won't let his mother down and that he'll prove his father wrong. He promised himself that he would work hard and complete his education and then try his hardest to get into a company.

 

 

 

At the age of 18, Jongdae skips his university entrance exam and goes to an open audition instead. He had no idea what possessed him to do it, but he honestly doesn't regret it. Well he doesn't regret it until he gets home and his father asks him how his entrance exam went.

 

"I didn't do it." Jongdae said honestly.

 

"What do you mean you didn't do it?"

 

"I went to an open audition instead."

 

Mr Kim looked like he was about to strangle Jongdae or drop dead. Thankfully his wife intervened.

 

"Which company? How did it go?"

 

"SM and they'll let me know in a few days. I didn't know when another audition process was going to happen, I needed to take this opportunity."

 

Mrs Kim patted Jongdae's head gently. "I understand sweetheart."

 

"I don't!" thundered Mr Kim. "What about university?"

 

"He can reapply next year if he doesn't get into any companies this year." Mr Kim grumbled but Mrs Kim gave Jongdae a big smile. "Jongdae-ya fighting."

 

With a smile on his face Jongdae headed to his room but he was blocked by his brother. "I heard you auditioned. I hope you get in so I don't have to see your ugly face you tard."

 

"I hope I get in too so I don't have to tolerate your pathetic presence dickwad."

 

They grinned at each other before initiating a bro hug.

 

"Jongdae fighting." whispered Jongdeok into his brother's ear.

 

"Thank you hyung." Jongdae whispered back.