What's love?

Time, please stop.

He wanted to talk. As you stare at him, his perfect features, you felt the dull throb of your heart. 3 years. Time passed so fast. You remembered the feeling of falling in love for the first time, how perfect everything was. Taecyeon was the best boyfriend that any girl could wish for. Just one tiny hiccup in the plan - he was an idol.

Both you and Taecyeon tried so hard to make it work, but you both knew that separation was inevitable. You could not muster the courage to break it off, so you hoped he was the one who did.

Taecyeon sighed heavily and gazed into your eyes. Those brown eyes that he loved so much. 

"What happened, where did we go wrong?" you asked softly.

The words began to flow freely, and so did the tears. His soft-spoken "i dont know" did nothing to numb the ache in your heart. Standing in the middle of the deserted park at night, the memories threatened to engulf you. Your first date with him, your first movie with him, your first kiss with him... Here you were, losing the person who meant so much to you. You couldn't be sure, but thought that Taecyeon was feeling the same way too. Raising your head, you gazed looked into those familiar brown eyes and saw that they were also filling with tears. You smiled through a veil of tears. He was never afraid to express his feelings, and that was one of the many things you loved about him.  There were no words exchanged. There wasn't a need to.

He pulled you into his arms and crushed you to his chest. You wrapped your arms around him, feeling the solid shape of his muscles. You were aware that this was going to be the last hug from him, and you didn't want it to end. As he slowly pulled away, you cried. You cried for everything you had shared, both good and bad. You cried for your past and future without him. 

Then it was time to go. He left first, knowing that if he don't, you will never leave. You stared at his retreating back, then swalllowing the last of your sob, made your way back to your house, alone.

This is for the best.

----------------

A year or two passed, and then some. You moved out from your parents' home and found work as a nurse in a well-known hospital. Times were tough, but at least the workload was great enough to keep you from drifting back into the past.

"Ward 97 Bed 3 needs another dose of aspirin," one of the nurses called from the counter. You stood up, prepared to answer the patient's needs but another nurse beat you to it. "You deserve a rest after all the work you had done," she smiled at you as she clipped her hat on and left. Left with no choice, you sat back down. But I need the distraction, you thought miserably. 

Just then, the television broadcasted a 2PM newsflash.

"2PM's Taecyeon has been spotted-"

You swiftly got up again and switched the television off, much to the dismay of your fellow nurses.

"I don't get why are you so against him," one of them grumbled.

"Yeah! I mean, he's so charming with all those muscles," another gushed dreamily.

Your fingers twitched as you remembered how they felt when the both of you had your last hug. You clenched your fists furiously.

"Stop. Just stop. It's already over, he has a new girlfriend, there's no point thinking about the past anymore," you scolded yourself sternly. You had spent so much time starting your life from scratch, and you were determined to keep it from falling apart. Breaking apart was a mutual decision? The sparks no longer flew? Heck, those were lies. All those hours you wasted convincing yourself that it was right not to hold him back. That you did not love him anymore. What was it for? You shut your eyes and massaged your temples tiredly. 

A nurse suddenly burst into the room.

"Taecyeon has just been admitted into our hospital!" she said breathlessly. "They are in need of a nurse to attend to him!"

Your eyes sprang open and you straightened up, a look of disbelief etched onto your face. ''No, this could not be happening. Why now, of all time?'' you thought desperately.

All the nurses were clamouring to be Taecyeon's personal nurse until one called for order. She addressed the rest as though she was a teacher in preschool.

"Now, nurses, we all know that we need to give Taecyeon a good impression of us, right?"

The rest nodded in affirmation.

"This means that we have to choose the most diligent nurse out of all of us AND the one that is the least likely to fangirl over him. Who is the only nurse we know that best fulfills these two criterias?"

--------------------

A few minutes later, you found yourself stomping down the corridor angrily. "Least likely to fangirl over him? Most diligent?" you snorted. What a joke! Little did they know about your past...

You stopped in front of his door and composed yourself before you pushed open the door to the private suite.You still had to appear professional.

"He is suffering from fatigue. He has been overworked," Dr. Choi was saying to a beautiful blonde lady in pink. You immediately recognised her as Jessica, Taecyeon's girlfriend. Both the doctor and Jessica turned around as you entered.

"Good, the nurse is here. Connect the IV drip," he instructed, before nodding to Jessica. "I'll be back later to check on him again. He should be waking soon."

Your hands trembled as you tried to connect the IV drip. One look at Taecyeon's face and all the memories came rushing back to you. You gently held his hand and inserted the needle. You moved to rearrange his pillows, but his hand suddenly enclosed yours in a firm grip.

"...." he murmured, turning towards you with his eyes still closed.

Your heart stopped. That name... The world spun around you for a moment. Jessica took a step towards you as she too heard the name he uttered. You extracted your hand from his, your heart racing.

"Sorry," she apologised, gazing at the sleeping figure. "He has been saying that name in his sleep for a long time now. I'm not sure if he even knows it himself. It's the name of his previous girlfriend."

"He... Must have loved her very much," you choked, getting the words out with some difficulty.

"He still does, I believe, even though I've been with him for several years already," she said, before lifting her eyes to meet yours. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't be telling you all these," she apologised once again. Jessica's eyes darted to your nametag. Confusion flashed briefly in her eyes but understanding quickly dawned on her. She opened to say something but you covered the distance between the both of you in two steps and held a finger up to her lips.

"We'll talk outside," you mouthed as you dragged her out.

-------------------

You dropped her arm as soon as the door closed behind you.

"I know what you're thinking. I'm not here to take him away from you. I've seen how much you care." You exhaled heavily. "Whatever we had was in the past, and it should remain there."

She gazed at you with those unscrutable eyes of hers before she spoke.

"There was never anything between us. It was only love on my part. Taecyeon and I were very good friends, and I admit, I wanted to be more than that. When he broke up with you, I figured I had a chance. He agreed to go out with me, but only because he did not have the heart to reject me after what happened between the both of you," she said, a sad smile playing on her lips. She looked at you, waiting for your response. When you didn't say anything, she continued, "I know you still love him. I can tell. And I know for a fact that he loves you too, very much. Did you know he went through depression for a period of time? Every year on this day, he would immerse himself in his work and fall sick. He told me that today was your anniversary."

"Anniversary?" You frowned, then it struck you. Today was the day that the two of you first met. Your lips trembled. Here came the tears again. You'd held them back for so long, all the tears in your heart, until it was simply overflowing with them.

"But why did he break-up with me?" you cried as your went went to your heart.

"For th same reason that you did not call him back. For your own good," she said. There was a moment of silence and a tear escaped Jessica's eyes. "I guess there's no space for me here anymore." With that, she gave you a small wave and left.

You were standing there for a few minutes when the door to the suite swung open.

"Where's-" Taecyeon asked weakly, and he stopped short when he saw you. Multiple emotions flickered across his face, but love won them all.

"..." he breathed. Time stopped as you flung yourself at him, sobbing loudly. He caught you in his arms and buried his face in your hair, inhaling deeply. You wept for all the time you wasted, for all the mistakes that the both of you made. Finally, you were back where you belonged - in his arms. You felt the warmth and love emanating from him. You tilted your head up and he gently lowered his lips to yours.

"I love you," he whispered before he pressed his lips against yours in a loving kiss.

"I know," you whispered back. "Me too."

-----------------

:) hope you enjoyed it!