Remnants Left Behind Forever

Beginning Afresh

Today was the day the world would see Wu Yifan. The day he would be free of ‘Kris’. Today was the day Wu Yifan would see the world.

          Sitting there in the airport dressed in casual clothes with a cap and sunglasses, Kris sat watching other people. The way they walked, dressed, hurried to catch a plane or wait as he was for whatever reason they had. Kris was waiting for the ticking clock, as it counted down the seconds.

          He pushed back further into his seat, stretching his long legs and looked down at his phone. He could still hear everyone going about their business. There were even a few fangirls in the area as he could hear them listen to the newly released “Overdose”.

Only 3 and a half minutes left

 

           Kris was busy sending those last few texts to his beloved members. Maybe they would forgive him one day. If only they knew what the company had planned. This was the only way to prevent any of their plans to come to action though it may be too late already. It was SM after all.

         Since the members were on a plane at this very moment, they wouldn’t receive the texts till they’ve touched ground. They would be wondering already where he was but by then it would be too late, too late to change Kris’s mind. 

>Joonmyun: Look after the members alright? I know they can be a “bit” wild, but try to keep up with them! I hope you can be the leader that I couldn’t be for them. Fighting! And be careful.... Something’s coming....SM isn’t what it used to be...>

 

<Baekhyun-ah: .......don’t mess around too much. Work hard! And stop encouraging Chanyeol-ah for God’s sake! And leave Kyungsoo-ah alone. I can’t help you escape his wrath anymore. Continue hard!  Always remember, they’re always watching.... >

 

<Chanyeol-ah: ....keep smiling you big giant! You have to keep the height ratios up now that I’m gone. Lead the rappers well, and don’t mess around toooo much>

<Kyungsoo-ah: I’ll eat your kimchi spaghetti again one day. Fighting! Mess a bit more with Baek and Chanyeol would you? They deserve every moment. I’ll watch your upcoming drama well! Appa will be here for you, Squishy!>

 

<Jongin-ah: Rest up, you hear me? Just keep it easy... and stop giving the fans reasons to “ship Kaisoo”... No seriously>

 

<Sehun-ah:  LEAVE THAT FREAKING BUBBLETEA ALONE!!  Take care though. Respect the hyungs, you know they care. -_- >

 

<Luhan gege: Fighting!!! Don’t take the others seriously, you’re more moan than Zitao and he ‘knows’ wushi! REST! I’ve seen you backstage when you think you’ve hidden it from everyone. How are you going to show what a man you are if you’re sick and tired? Rest plenty... Please>

 

<Jongdae-ah: Will you ever stop your trolls? I guess not but I will miss them. One day we can do that prank we planned on Baekhyun during that camping trip! I’ll see you soon “ChenChen”!>

 

<Minseok hyung: Our Baozi, you work the hardest seriously. I see you work late into the night. It’s ok to eat. Just enjoy it! I left a big chocolate bar in your bag, did you find it?>

 

<Yixing: Make sure to say my greetings to Grandfather and Grandmother when you visit them. Rest that waist and back of yours and please start writing stuff down! I think your memory got worse over the holidays.......and ......I’m sorry>

 

<Zitao: Gege is very sorry. I’m so sorry that I have to leave you when I promised that I wouldn’t. I’m sorry I broke my word. I’m doing this for you and the others and please, please understand one day and forgive me. That’s all I can hope for. Fighting!>

 

<To all members: Guys, I’m sorry to have to leave this way. I may not be a man of many words but I do want the best for my family. You guys are my family and I feel that this is for the best. Don’t worry, the Galaxy shall look after you, have no fear! EXO is my style, but for now I will be content to say “We are One” even when we’ve separated.  Don’t let the put you down. Remember: You always have a choice. Till the day we meet and become one again. I give you my best, for the future no matter what you do.

You are my family! Thank you.... for everything.... 사랑해.

 

*****

 

Satisfied, Kris put away his phone for now. This was all he had to say, all he could say in his current state.

Only a minute left

 

          Kris looked around the airport once more. All the planes were going somewhere different, to other places of the world. This was the place to be free, to go anywhere on a whim.

          Freedom was a hard thing to comprehend for Kris after years of oppression. This might not be the right way to do things but this was the best. Deep within his thoughts, Kris thought back through the past few years of his life:

               Mainly in three sections: Before SM

                                                   Trainee Days

                                                   And After Debut.

          Before SM, he had one thing: Freedom. Well free as he could be then. It may have been hard especially for his family but at least he was freer than when he was in SM. His dream was to spread music throughout the world. To be loved and to earn money for his ever hardworking family.

          Trainee life was another thing entirely: Torture, but only in some ways. The dance training may have been fun but his body ached for days. Singing was also a strain but Kris pushed through and of course there was the rap. Rapping seemed easier somehow, the fast flow of words to the tempo of the music. It was a way to let go of all the words that he had held onto for years and to say them quickly so that no one could really hear them. Kris was really afraid of his emotions for a long time. It was also during those gruelling years that he met them all. The members of EXO as they were known now. They had worked together, others getting along better than others, but they always looked out for each other, especially at the monthly assessments. Nobody else knew what it was like except for the fellow trainees. They each saw the bad side and good in each other. They cheered each other on. There was a feeling of belonging for awhile then came the joy of debut.

          After debut came another word: Restriction. Everything was restricted. No more walks along the Han River whenever he wanted. He couldn’t go anywhere without permission. Permission he wasn’t used to being given. Even worse were the hectic schedules. Kris didn’t mind performing, in fact he loved it, but to keep going between China and Korea was unbelievably tiring. It was ridiculous. If they weren’t performing it was practices late into the night in the efforts to keep at the top. Eventually illnesses arose. Tiredness, body pains, insomnia and so much more. Eventually, enough was enough. Something had to be done, even if it meant giving up that triumphant feeling of standing on stage with the fellow members, staring at the sea of fans that supported you every step of the way. The feeling of standing on stage was irreplaceable. At least he got to feel it before he left.

 

Only 10 seconds to go

 

          Ten seconds to say goodbye to Kris. He had of course prepared himself. Many other have failed and their attempts were never known, hidden, but not him. Wu Yifan would succeed where others have failed.

 

8 seconds to go

Kris closed his eyes and wondered what the others were doing. Would they think of him often, like he would be? Would they put good memories above the bad? Of course he wouldn’t know exactly, he scoffed quietly. They would have to read and memorise the scripted lines before saying anything, as expected of SM. Their true feelings hidden from the rest of the world and people would believe the lies and half-truths.

 

5 seconds to go

 

          He worried the most for the weaker members. They would definitely be questioned the most and that he was most sorry for.

 

2 seconds to go

 

          Kris stood up quietly and started to make his way to his departure gate.

 

1 second to go

 

          As he walked, he took off the glasses, the jacket, and the hat. Everything that said “Kris”

          The clock ticked to zero. The time has come. As the people in the airport were busy and didn’t know him, no one saw Kris. Three fangirls thought the saw him but then came the news of him leaving EXO, distracting them. They had also been the same girls that were so happily listening to ‘Overdose’ before, and the girls started to cry. Besides the members, his fans were the also the ones his heart felt for, to disappoint them like this. EXO fans weren’t known to be compared to the FBI for nothing. They would all know within the next few days. Kris had planned this.

         Continuing to walk, he almost boarded the plane to go back to his hometown. To be home for the first time in years and to stay there longer than a few hours.

         They would all understand one day and that was all he hoped for. Understanding and support, from his fans, family, fellow artists and his beloved members.

        The real work starts now. The battle continue on and this time. He would stand victorious at the end.

        Kris would live on but Wu Yifan would be living. There was a whole world out there and he was going to see everything it had to offer.

        

Without looking back, Wu Yifan boarded the plane, leaving all remnants of “Kris” behind forever.

 

 

 

 

 

 

*A/N: So I hope you guys enjoyed it! I'll hopefully post a new fanfic soon because I'm currently working on one now! If you have any requests please leave some in the comments! Love and constructive criticism appreciated!