Final

The Other Side

F   I   N   A   L

 



"And 5, 6! 5, 6, 7, 8!" Instructor Hwang counted off.  Along with about 10 other people, I started to dance.  I was currently in dance class at Hwang's Dance Academy and we were in the middle of practicing for our performance in a few weeks.  The song was The Other Side by Jason DeRulo and the choreography was mostly hip hop, with a few flips here and there.  As the drop came, it was time for me to do a backflip before the first beat of the drop.  There was another boy that was going to do the backflip with me; Moon Jongup, my best friend and crush.  We both took a quick look at each other, flashing quick smiles, before running the two three steps we had before actually jumping and flipping our bodies.  We both jumped, but while Jongup landed on his two feet like we both were supposed to, I had messed up, landing on my back.

 

“Stop the music!” Instructor Hwang shouted.  “Jia! Are you okay?” He asks as he helps me up.

 

“I - ow - yeah. I’m good,” I say. I walk over to my bag and take out a hot-cold patch and place it over the part of my back I had hurts. “I’m okay with dancing,” I added.

 

“Okay. You know our performance is only two weeks away.  If you aren’t able to do the backflip, I’ll have to make this Jongup’s solo - “

 

“No!” Jongup cut off.  “There’s no need to do that, Instructor Hwang.  I’ll personally help Jia learning to perfect the backflip,” he says, a bright smile on his face.

 

“Arraso.  I trust you’ll be able to help her, young man.  Class dismissed then.  Be here tomorrow at the same time!  Jongup and Jia, I’ll be back in a little bit to check on you two,”

 

“Okay, so here’s what we’ll do.  We’ll take it from the beginning, and every time one of us messes up, we’ll start over, okay?” Jongup suggests.  I simply nod, agreeing with his idea.  It couldn’t be that bad, right?

 

Oh but it was.  I couldn’t concentrate and made silly mistakes, causing us to start over.  We had been in the dance studio for two hours now, not even being able to dance through the song once.  Instructor Hwang came into the room a few times to see how much we progressed, but was disappointed not to see any.  

 

“Maybe he’s right, Jongup.  This should just be your solo.  I’ll never be able to perfect the backflip like you,” I say, sitting down on the floor.

 

“No way.  If I’m going to do this, it’s gonna be with you.  We’re best friends and I don’t want you to give up so easily.  It’s my job to push you to your absolute limit, to help you become the best, absolute, perfect,” he said, taking a seat next to me on the floor.

 

I sigh. “You’re stubborn, but not enough.  Jongup, I’m not like you;  I’m going to mess up no matter what.  I can’t do this like you can,”

 

“Feel the song with you heart, not your head or your mind.   Pretend that I’m not even here with you in the room; just you and the music,” he looked at me, his eyes filled with hope.  I sighed once again, a sign that I gave in.  Just as he was about to play the music, Instructor Hwang came into the room.

 

“Kids, it’s time for me to go now.  I locked up all the other rooms, and the main door.  Can you guys lock this room and the back door on your way out?” he asked.

 

“Yeah, that’s cool with us.  No problem,” I say, taking the keys from him, and placing it on top of my bag.  He leaves the room, once again leaving me alone with Jongup in the room.

 

“Ready?” Jongup asks. I hold up a finger, telling him I needed a minute as I was putting my hair into a bun.  “Leave you hair down.  It’s looks prettier that way,” he says with a slight smile, his cheeks turning pink.  I turned away from him so that he wouldn’t be able to see my cheeks turning a shade of pink as continued to tie my hair. “Remember what I said; just you and the music,” he reminded me before he played the music.  

 

And I did.  I took a deep breath and forgot about the past failed attempts to do the backflips.  When the drop finally came, I took another deep breath and thought ‘It’s just me and the music.  Come on Jia, you and music’, and walked the two-three steps I had, and jumped to flip my body, landing perfectly on my two feet, just like Jongup.  We both flashed bright and huge smiles at each other, but none of us stopped the music.  

 

Tonight we’ll just get drunk

Disturb the peace

Let your love crash into me

 

I unconsciously walked closer to Jongup, as did he.  I bit my lip as I realized what was about to happen, but none of us looked like we were about to stop.

 

And then you bite your lip

Whisper and say, “We’re going all the way,”

 

The kiss was short, but at the same time sweet.  We pulled away, cheeks totally pink, and too much yet too little to say.

 

“I - this is wrong,” I say, shaking my head.  Yes, I liked him alot, but was I really ready for a relationship?

 

“What? Why? I thought you liked me too,” Jongup asked with a confused yet hurt look.

 

“I do.I like you a lot.  It’s just that...I’m scared. What if it’s not what we thought? We may be amazing best friends, but what if we’re not amazing as partners? Jong - “ but before I could continue, Jongup had wrapped one of his arms around my waist, the other one cupping my face, before once again capturing my lips with his.

 

Tonight

Take me to the other side

Sparks fly like the Fourth of July (yes, we do, yeah)

Just take me to the other side (take me, baby)

I see that y look in your eyes

And I know we ain’t friends anymore (oh, no)

If we walk down this road

We’ll be lovers for sure

So tonight (so tonight) kiss me like it’s do or die (kiss me, kiss me)

And take me to the other side

 

“If it’s for you, I’m willing to take that chance,” he says, hugging me closer to him, as I wrap my arms around his neck, looking down as I wasn’t ready to meet eyes with him. “I don’t care about that might happen; I just wanna think about now, the present.  I really like you and I wanna give this a try.  I wanna take this to the next level.  I wanna be the reason of your laughter, smiles, and happiness.  I wanna protect you from anyone that will hurt you in any way.possible.  I wanna spend Sundays with you in our pajamas, cuddling in front of the T.V.  So, Zhang Jia, are you ready?” he finished, his eyes bright and happy filled with hope.  

 

“I think I am, Moon Jongup,” I say with a smile, finally looking up, "I think I’m ready for the other side,”