Serendipity

City of Angels
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I first met you in the year 2009 when we had a photoshoot for a cosmetic brand, Etude House. That year was a huge break for the both of us. I got a role that would remained in the mind of viewers notably due to the curly mop of hair I had back then. That full black luscious curls that I had to painstakingly perm every 2 to 3 days just to maintain its shape! I cringed now when I look at those photos. I don't think I would want to do that ever again. But heck I did make a mark in the drama world and the even in the gag world. Why? Because they made that hair available in wigs and almost every comedian were riding the waves with the popularity of the drama. And from then on I never looked back and I am so thankful that I got to where I am now with the support I received from my fans. 

Now, back to you. You debut at a very young age for a music video, so even though I am older than you by three years, you are my Sunbae in the acting world. You started out as a child actress and who can forget about you being the young Choi Ji Woo Sunbae-nim in that drama. And in 2009, similar to me, the drama that you starred in was a huge success too. Even though you were doing the commercial with your co-star in the previous years, that fateful year would be the first time that I was able to work with you. We did several campaigns with Etude House together. I remember the first time I met you, you were like this ball of energy, like a ray of sunshine. Always smiling and teasing others. I supposed you were really comfortable with the staffs on set or maybe you are simply born with great people skills. I personally enjoy that too but I guess I needed a little longer to get comfortable with people in general. So you being you, it helped me a lot since it smoothen out the possible awkwardness that may arise, and as a result, I enjoyed the times we spent together. Though we kept in contact with each other at times during the two years we were working together, we naturally drifted apart when I was filming a new drama and was caught in a whirlwind of romance with my co-star. And now that it is all in the past, I was simply looking forward to be able to work with you again."

"Wow.. Min Ho Oppa..You remembered a lot about me... Even down to my preference in food as you've been showing me while we're here in LA and Yup.. The news of you dating your co-star became a huge thing... I guess you really mean it when you said you prefer noonas... Anyways I think it's something that you don't wish to be brought up again I guess.. So we shall steer this conversation away from that. And about you looking forward to be working with me, that's a pleasant thought, Min Ho Oppa... I am honoured. "

"I even sent you a message during the fan meet for your ten year anniversary as an actress isn't it? I really meant every single word I sent in your way...  I was really looking forward to be working with you again. And I am just as honoured as you are or maybe even more since you became a movie actress that attracted like what, 10 million viewers for your performance in Miracle Cell No. 7. I was watching with my family at home... And my Omma and Noona cried for the last 30 minutes of it."

"And you? You remained cold right, Oppa? You were not crying at all.."

"Can I just admit to being teary? Hehehe... Allow me to keep some 'male pride' ok? How can I not be touched when it's about the love between a father and daughter..."

"Hahaha.. You're funny Oppa..."

"So what about you? What do you remember about me?"

"Min Ho Oppa, are we really going down memory lane tonight?"

"Since it's the last night we will be spending our time here without the prying eyes of the papparazis back in South Korea, I think we are allowed to be honest with one another... And if you are facing any problem you might want to share it with me.. I am all ears.. Since we will now be working for 20 episodes worth of filming.. It's no longer short commercials and photoshoots.. So I think it is only right if we get to know each other better... Which in all honesty I am actually only using it just as an excuse..."

"Well... For me Oppa, I remember you as being really really shy then. You were really stiff on the first shoot we did together. And you still had that wig-like hair though it was definitely not as luscious as that in the drama. Hahahaha. And you definitely look waaay~ better now with a short do Oppa and also the hairstyle you had during the last Etude House campaign if I am not wrong... The one when we had that LED lipstick. Anyways... I was actually nervous having to work with you since it was our first time working together. And you became the IT actor since then - acting only a drama a year and countless of commercials... Who gets such a luxury if its not THE Lee Min Ho."

"Aish~ You were doing well since then too, Shin Hye.."

"I am glad it turn out well.. Because I was indeed facing some kind of a slump and was worried about being able to pursue acting... It's always been something that I enjoy doing.. Something that makes me feel great and good about myself. And for our dramas that received lots of love from viewers, we really do have to be thankful to our fans for making it possible for us to be able to continue to do what we love to do..."

"Yup.. Definitely... Always be thankful for every day that we are able to have a job that we actually love... But.. Shin Hye, what got me curious is..."

"What is it Min Ho Oppa?"

"Did you just actually confessed that you were checking me out then?"

"Huh? Out of all the things I've mentioned, you were curious about that?"

"You're talking about how good my hair looks and all.. What was that all about? I guess you have some explaining to do, Shin Hye-sshi?"

"Can't I compliment you when there are things to be complimented? Just take it as literally as it is Oppa..   No hidden meaning.. Why? Were you wishing there was?"

"Yes... No... What makes you say that?" as he took a gulp of beer to quench his non-existent thirst.

"Nothing.. I was just asking that's all.. You don't have to be all defensive, Oppa... I am not a reporter or a paparazzi~ Anyways.. I guess after spending some time together we kind of bounce each other's happy vibe. I am actually thankful that you were responding to my jokes well. Is that why now you are basically taking all of your revenge on me? That why you've been teasing me all throughout our filming here in Los Angeles, Califonia?"

"I guess so.. If not for the cameras around taking photos of us, it would have been more severe..."

"Severe? Like what kind of severe? Like you would make me laugh till snort like a pig? Hahahaha."

"Ani.. Until you literally Roll On the Floor Laughing..."

"You mean like a person who caught fire? Stop, drop and roll? Hehehehe."

"If you want to see that way then so be it... I am glad that you are actually laughing a lot now..."

"Huh? What do you mean Oppa?"

"I don't know if you have forgotten or you are trying to forget, but the past couple of days you have not been smiling as much.."

Shin Hye remained silent for a while upon hearing what Min Ho had said.

"I am right isn't it? For you to remain silent and it totally wiped off the smile that you had on your face... Do you want to share it with me? And you were busy on the phone earlier before I came and intrude... Am I actually disturbing you now?"

"Ani Oppa... More than anything else you are actually helping me now to forget..."

"What's wrong Shin Hye? Do you mind sharing it with me?"

"I think I just got my heart broken, Oppa..." as she nonchalantly mentioned.

Shin Hye's confession startled Min Ho for a moment, "Are you dating someone, Shin Hye?"

"Was Oppa... I WAS dating someone..."

"Then what happened?"

"Before I came here, we were already having a tiff... But I thought we just needed some time apart to clear the tension between us.. And this drama is too good an opportunity to turn it down.. I mean to work with Kim Eun Sook-nim is a chance that most young actors wants... Do I sound like a bad girlfriend now?" as Shin Hye takes a few more sips from her huge glass of red wine that was almost empty in her hand.

"Ani.. You definitely don't sound like a bad girlfriend at all, Shin Hye.. Don't think that way..."

"I guess everyone except the boyfriend will think that way... But thanks anyway Oppa.. For trying to make things better for me..."

"You are really not a bad girlfriend at all Shin Hye... You were doing what everyone in your place would do... So please... Don't think that you have to be responsible over that guy's insecurity.."

Suddenly, the emotions that Shin Hye had been trying to hold back all these while throughout the three weeks of filming, came streaming down like a waterfall, and it prompted Min Ho to sit beside her as he places his hand round her shoulders to comfort her. 

"Let it out Shin Hye... How tough it must have been for you to hold it all together throughout filming..." as he patted her back.

You are still suppressing your emotions... Crying silently like this... as he heaved a sigh.

When Shin Hye was done crying, she wiped away her tears before she faced Min Ho, "Min Ho Oppa, I am sorry... I think I had too much to drink.. I am really sorry to be crying like this in front of you and to make it all awkward between us with my personal problems when we still have lots of filming to do..."

"Shin Hye... I really don't know how you will react to this but I'm going to say it anyway... Would you believe me if I tell you now that I have fallen for you?"

"Min Ho Oppa... I know you are trying to cheer me up but.. You don't have to be channeling Kim Tan now to cheer Eun Sang up... I think you're mistaken me, Shin Hye for Eun Sang..."

"I am not Kim Tan now... I am Lee Min Ho.. Who wants to try his best to cheer Shin Hye up.."

"Min Ho Oppa... Stop the teasing now... I am feeling much better already..." as she looked at him in the eye and it makes Min Ho to react instinctively by kissing her on the lips. Shin Hye freezes in her seat with her eyes wide opened now that her tipsy self had just flew away, replacing it with a piece of reality as her mind can no longer wrap around the situation that she was in. 

"Oppa~ Sorry I think that you are too much into your character... and I think it's better if I turn in for the night."

Min Ho who did not want to see her go, grabbed her by the wrist and pulling her into an embrace as he kissed her lips again to prove that he was not teasing her nor was he in character. He tries to kiss her passionately but she resisted, causing him to stop his advances on her.

"I am sorry, Shin Hye... I told you I was not teasing... And I do not know how else I should express it to convince you..."

"Min Ho Oppa... As much as that form of expression is convincing, I am your co-star... Scandal Part 2 won't make things good for you... And I am not going to make you my rebound... I'll just take it as a moment of infatuation... So let's take it that just now did not happen alright? And we should be resting.. We have suitcases to pack and a flight to catch... Plus... You prefer Noonas remember?" as Shin Hye gave him a smile before she walked away back to her hotel room. Meanwhile, Min Ho stood still to gather his thoughts. 

It is definitely different this time... It was not a moment of folly, Shin Hye... I know perfectly how I felt and the difference between then and now...

The next day, Shin Hye had her shades on to hide her slightly puffy eyes. When it was time to board the airplane, a concern Min Ho sat beside her on the long flight back, after exchanging seats with her manager. 

"Orh? You're not my manager..."

"Sorry bout that but I made him exchange seats with me.."

"Aish~ That manager of mine... Did you bribe him?"

"No money involved.. Just autographs..."

"What?! He sold me off for an autograph of you?"

"Not only AN autograph, Shin Hye... But quite a number of them that I thought my wrist would break apart... Anyways, how are you feeling today, Shin Hye?"

"Much better... Thanks Oppa.. And did you managed to catch some sleep last night?"

"How could I sleep a wink when I was worried about you?"

"I dare you to say that on this long haul flight back to Seoul, Min Ho Oppa..."

"Well if I am awake means I am looking out for you.. and if I did fall asleep means I am comfortable being with you..."

"Gosh Oppa~ Your excuses... I think at this point of time I am supposed to say that my heart just fluttered at your words isn't it?"

"Did it flutter?"

"Nope."

"Ouch! That hurts... Oh my ego is soooo~~ bruised..."

"Aigoo~ Whining like a child won't make my heart flutter, Oppa..."

The awkwardness between them did not prolonged and they were back to their usual ways of teasing each other.

"But I know what will make your heart flutter.."

"And what will that be Min Ho-sshi?"

"The fact that I extended my stay in LA because I was indeed worried about you..." said Min Ho confidently before he closed his eyes to rest because Shin Hye was now by his side and his mind could finally be in a state of calm.

* * *

The day of the press conference has finally arrived and they were gathered in the ballroom. As clips of the drama is shown to the media, the two lead actors were looking at it in a different light though it was more apparent for Min Ho as he was sure of his feelings even before the last day of shoot. As for Shin Hye, recalling those moments spent back in LA was making her heart flutter.

Ya~! Michin yeoja~ Why am I feeling this way? Don't tell me.... Aish~~~ You have loads of interviews to go through... Forget about it alright... You are not Eun Sang but Shin Hye.. Shin Hye who has an ex-boyfriend who wants to get back on with me...

"Shin Hye, are you alright?"

"Neh.. I am fine... Thanks for asking..."

"You sure?"

"Nope... Yeap, I am sure Min Ho Oppa..."

It was time for the photo-taking session of the actors and actresses. Finally, the two lead actors were on stage as the shutters went off wildly as they posed together. Min Ho suddenly wanting to hold on to her hand without prior notice, took Shin Hye by surprise but she accepted it professionally as it would be on tape for millions to view. 

Now... The piece of who made her cry... Listen up... Eat your heart out you... She's here standing with me and holding on to her tight.. If you are a smart guy, you can see for yourself that she does not require a guy like you... And I am going to prove to her that I am here to stay... - as he looked into the rows of cameras that were in front of him as though he had just sent a personal message across.

When the press conference ended, they went ahead with their scheduled interviews and the first one up is by the broadcasting company for the drama. They were accompanied by an actress who played the role of Kim Tan's mother and Kim Woo Bin who played the antagonist for the drama. Min Ho was first to stand in front while the others were having the list of questions that they could choose to ask Min Ho.

Hehehehe... I think these questions are perfect... Time to get back at you Min Ho Oppa~

"You are known to be the King of Mirror..."

"I don't look into the mirror to see my own face but it's my sideburns that is causing me a lot of stress..."

Sideburns? Hehehe. Kyeopta~~~

"I am handsome, O or X?"

"X"

Min Ho Oppa... You are handsome... What are you talking about...

"Then what kind of face that you would like to have?" asked the respected actress.

"Like Kim Woo Bin whose face is charming... And Park Hyung Sik a cute face..."

Hyung Sik? Min Ho Oppa.. I am going to make you go all aegyo.. Things that you don't do... Hehehe

"But I'll be bad at it.. because he's cute.. That's why..."

"No of course not... It will be just as cute." as Shin Hye urged him causing him to pose for the camera which brought smiles and laughter to Shin Hye which made Min Ho felt good.

"I heard that you have debut

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter