Post-its

The Man Behind the Yellow Post-its

It's been a month since Zhou Mi's locker been a certain favorite spot for the irritating but cute sticky notes filled with sweet quotes, messages and doodles. He was curious and glad at the same time knowing that every time he would go and collect and fix his things every break and dismissal time, he would be greeted by the little written thoughts. 

Zhou Mi heaved out a cheerful sigh as he saw another sticky note stamped on his locker's door. He arranged his string bag and ran a hand through his hair. A small sweet smile plastered on his face and he can't help but feel his stomach turn into knots. 

He peeled off the note and read it silently, ignoring the whole crowd that surrounds him. 

I saw your beautiful sunny smile again that never fails to allure me. I felt butterflies came rumbling and flying before me as I fluttered my eyes open to see you under the Peach tree busy doodling. I wish I could hug you, feel your warmth against me... 

The young Chinese man closed the door and leaned against his locker and continued reading. 

If only I could caress your soft skin, your brown locks and enticing serene palm, then how happy I would be. Take Care, my sunshine.

'Mimi?' a voice suddenly shook him out and he snapped from his deep train of thoughts. 

The young man before him is wearing a pair of big round eye glasses, a well fitted shirt and tight lean pants. His soft and brown locks, perm in a style that suits him well. He is carrying a black shoulder bag and a book on his other hand. He looked good and quite appealing- minus the glasses, in Zhou Mi's opinion.

Zhou Mi flashed at him a warm smile and said, 'Kui Xian, you're wearing those big ugly glasses again, I already told you, try some contacts. It suites you better.' The latter only rolled his eyes and scoffed. 

He laughed and walked closer to the younger boy before looking at him and pulling the glasses off. Kui Xian blinked and looked narrowingly at the man before him.

'And I already told you that I don't have the money to buy some contacts. Besides, I only use glasses when I am in class. No need to dilly-dally like you always did; ever since we're kids.' 

Zhou Mi puffed his cheeks and beamed at him. He folded the small yellow paper and tucked it inside his locker. 

'Another note?' Kui Xian asked as he put his glasses inside his bag and leaned on the locker next to Zhou Mi's. 

The Chinese man nodded and smiled. 'Yeah, it's been a month already yet I still don’t know him.' 

'Him? He's a guy?' Kui Xian asked as he looked at the wall across the hallway, acting a little bit interested on Zhou Mi's secret admirer. 

'I figured it out when I was reading one of his past notes; the paper was scented with nice sweet cologne of a man. And the handwritings are of a man. Compared to women’s handwriting it’s a bit scribble-y and well, you get my point.' Zhou Mi replied as he closed his locker and looked at Kui Xian

Kui Xian let out a quite annoyed and tired sigh. 'So what did he write for you this time?' The younger man asked dryly and looked at the brown, caring orbs of the latter.

'He said that he loves my smile.' 

Kui Xian fell silent and smiled to himself as he looked at the man before him who was busy fixing his hair. True, Zhou Mi's smile is one of the best, heart-warming smiles in the campus. No one can match him. The younger man was knocked out of his thoughts when Zhou Mi suddenly placed a hand on his arm. 

'Are you jealous?' Mimi teased as he started steadying Kui Xian with his both hands and looked at him to pull some of Kui Xian's hair covering his face.

'Am not! Why should I? Besides, who on the right mind would fall for a guy like you?' Kui Xian blabbered and Zhou Mi's eyes suddenly fell at the latter's statement.

Kui Xian noticed the tight grip on his arms and looked at the now depress man before him. He hugged Zhou Mi closed and run a soothing hand. Zhou Mi realized something as he took in Kui Xian’s scent and pulled back. 

'Hey,' he started, 'I was just kidding.' 

Zhou Mi looked up, eyes twinkling with much happiness and bliss. Kui Xian fought the urge to blush right then and there just to save himself from embarrassment. 'I know.' Mimi beamed and pulled Kui Xian out of the building and headed for their way home. 

+++ 

It's been three months since Zhou Mi started receiving sweet notes from his certain secret admirer. He didn't mind it that someone likes him. At first he couldn't believe that someone would like him but then he felt so much flattered. 

Bringing his books near him, he decided to stop by his locker and change on some lead for his pencil. Zhou Mi was excited. The reason- another sweet yellow post-it waiting for him. It came to his habit to look forward every caring words, cute notes and lovely writings from an admirer he did not know. 

He reached the locker’s side and smiled widely, so his guess was right. Another post-it, he thought. He plucked off the sticky note and read the writings on it. 

My sunshine, how are you today? I’ve been looking for you at the same Peach tree yet I found no one but a pretty lady with nice features and long brown glimmering locks... her smile and eyes twinkling with much bright. The way the wind would caress her skin and how would she react after made me laugh…

Zhou Mi’s eyes fell lowly before finishing the note. So, what was that? He wrote Zhou Mi a note of telling how a single lady over-beauty him. Zhou Mi slightly felt a sly pound inside him and if these are the right letters he could muster, he is definitely jealous… but was he even allowed to? 

He placed his books inside his locker and refilled on some lead on his pen and was about to close the locker door and leave the sticky note when he saw another yellow post-it at the top of his locker frame. 

but it would’ve been nicer if it was you who was laughing and smiling widely like her. I’ve missed you, take care always, Sunshine.

And if anyone would see the Chinese man right now, they could laugh a little because right now, Zhou Mi was smiling widely and acting as if a romantic helpless imprinting the admirer’s sweet words inside him, memorizing and feeling the cheesy lines with him. But then he noticed something, something quite off the hook. He slipped a note out of his Calculus book and concluded that it is his handwriting. Why did I notice it just now? He thought as he closed his locker and looked at the post it and at the other note.

+++

‘How long do you plan on watching old hags’ dramas?’ Kui Xian asked as he scribbled some writings on his notebook and watches from the side his roommate crying and wailing over the girl being rejected by the man she loves. Zhou Mi glared at him and Kui Xian wanted to laugh.

Zhou Mi gripped tightly on his handkerchief and sobbed harder as the girl on the screen stood there lifeless soaked under the rain. ‘Kui Xian,’ he began and Kui Xian looked behind his eye glasses at the older man, ‘Why did he have to do that?’ Zhou Mi whined and Kui Xian let out small chuckle. He stood from his side of couch and sat near Zhou Mi as he wrapped loving arms around Zhou Mi’s and hugged him close. 

He watched in silence Zhou Mi’s crying face and smiled to himself as tears continued to creep on his face. When the drama had ended and the credits rolled on screen, Kui Xian reached for the remote and looked for channels for him to watch. Zhou Mi wiped his last tear and looked at Kui Xian with red puffy eyes. He never failed to notice the warmth embrace and the tight hold by his waist and Zhou Mi smiled to that. 

‘Let’s go to sleep,’ Kui Xian made up his mind after looking for nothing through channels. Zhou Mi blankly agreed and Kui Xian stood up bringing Zhou Mi with him. He went to the front door and locked the door and switched off the lights. Zhou Mi clung on his fingers and they went to their bedroom and helped Zhou Mi tuck himself on bed. 

‘Watching those dramas had done no good to you,’ Kui Xian commented and Zhou Mi looked at him. 

‘Why is that? At least I am having fun unlike you who’d stuck their noses onto their books and write—’ Zhou Mi paused for awhile, quite unsure why he's throwing such temper.

Kui Xian smirked, ‘Don’t go lecture on me, Mimi, I am not your little brother, I’m your—’

‘You’re my what, Kui Xian?’ Zhou Mi cut him and Kui Xian looked at him.

‘You’re my best friend.’ Kui Xian replied nonchalantly and Zhou Mi wanted to roll his eyes, ‘Oh please, I’ve figured it out already.’ 

Kui Xian looked at him, ‘You’re the man behind the yellow post-its. Aren’t you?’ and Kui Xian looked shocked.

Zhou Mi smiled at the cute blush and leaned near Kui Xian, their faces were inches apart and Zhou Mi closed their distance in an instant. Kui Xian responded onto the kiss and gripped tightly on the sheets as Zhou Mi kissed him harder and passionately. Kui Xian pulled back and smiled at him. 

‘Am I too obvious?’ Kui Xian asked as he push Zhou Mi and they pulled the coverlet and lied on the bed side to side. Zhou Mi looked at him and smiled.

‘You are not just good at hiding. If you wanted to confess to someone, fix your handwriting and never ever spread perfume on the love letters, you’ll be read easily,' Kui Xian smirked at him. He hugged him as Zhou Mi nuzzled on his neck and slept contentedly without the thought of his secret admirer in his dreams. 

The next day Zhou Mi woke up wandering his arms around but finding no one but a post it stuck over Kui Xian’s pillow. 

Now my wish has been fulfilled I promise to stay with you always and never fail to make you smile every day. Breakfast’s ready, will be waiting.