Easier Said Than Done

Maladroit

The first time Jaebum saw Mark, he was assigned to bring some books to the faculty for his English teacher, Ok Taecyeon, with the students were instantly parting to give him way. Earphones plugged in both ears and volume at the maximum with a ballad music playing, Jaebum caught a red blur on his peripheral vision. He blinked, turned, and there, a lanky boy, somewhat shorter than him with a handsome unfamiliar face, stopped in front of the lockers near Jaebum's destination. And Jaebum couldn't help but stare because oh boy, that's a fine piece of . But then, he was the student council president. A strict one. And that hair color is certainly a no-no.

"Hey," He blurted out when pretty boy was about to walk away, a lecture at the tip of his tongue. The other turned with an innocent expression, eyes blinking slowly and Jaebum's mind processed the movement slower than it should be, the male's eyelashes fanning his soft-looking cheeks in a delicate manner. Jaebum didn't even realized that his jaw had promptly dropped to the ground.

"Yes?"

And bang, the deep suave voice was the last straw for the books Jaebum was carrying to drop as well, a dictionary with ten thousand pages and a thesaurus with five thousand pages. Good thing the people had already dispersed to their respective classes so the corridors were mostly empty save for the two of then. Bad thing it hit his feet without mercy.

Pretty boy flinched at the loud sound it made.

Jaebum was quite sure he made the most adorable derp face he had ever made in his entire life at that very moment. In front of pretty boy. And as if things couldn't get any better, the cry he had been holding back was let out-- a not-so-manly shriek-- as he fell to the ground into a fetal position, grasping his injured toes. Damn, it seems like my bones are broken.

Jaebum bit his lip. I wouldn't be able to get his number now.

He saw the male kneel beside him but Jaebum suddenly found the wall interesting. "Are you alright?"

Yes. Rainbows and sunshine. Cool.

"I'm sorry, that was a stupid question."

No .

"Should I take you to the clinic?"

Jaebum finally found his voice. "No need." , his voice was three octaves higher. He cleared his throat. "No need." He repeated, normally this time as he attempted to stand. A hand was offered to him. His crinkly eyes trailed from the hand to the eyes of the owner and he felt air leave his lungs. Ugh, he's really good-looking.

After several seconds of unintentional staring and internal fanboying, Jaebum knew the boy was getting awkward with him so he finally took the outstretched hand. It was warm and comforting and Jaebum liked it, heartbeat escalating as a circus played in his stomach.

"Thank you." He said when he was already standing upright and begrudgingly, he released the hand in his grasp. The new student smiled.

"No problem." The boy replied as he retrieved the fallen books and gave it to Jaebum.

"What do you want to tell me anyway?"

"Oh, that," Jaebum was flustered because , I couldn't possibly give him sermon now, that's so uncool!

"Your hair..."

Just say it, Im Jaebum! You're the student council president, role model of the students, the prophet to the right path, the almighty—

"Is..."

JUST ING SAY THAT IT'S NOT ALLOWED—

"Nice."

The transferee beamed.

"Thank you!"

Jaebum felt like fainting and crying at the same time.

 

 

 

 

 

Jaebum had avoided Mark, who immediately became popular, for two months. Whenever he saw a whiff of red, his mind would turn blank and he would rush away, shoving people with quiet apologies on his way to escape. He made his crush so apparent that his friends had, of course, noticed. And didn't pass the chance to irritate him. ers.

"Come on, Jaebum-hyung. Just make a move already! It's so obvious that even the whole school knows!"

"The whole school knows because you can't shut up, Jackson!" Jaebum hissed, throwing a piece of broccoli at Jackson's direction which Jackson gracefully dodged. Darn, athletes.

"That's right, hyung. Start a conversation or something. Anything to make him notice you."

"Wow, even the most oblivious person in the world has spoken, hyung." Youngjae rolled his eyes. "I'm not oblivious, Bambam."

"Yes you are! You didn't even reacted when Jackson-hyung had rolled down the stairs yesterday."

"Well, the fact that I saw his Spongebob underwear means I'm a silent observer and not oblivious."

Bambam's eyes widened. "Jackson-hyung has a Spongebob underwear?!"

A collective sighs were heard. "Anyway," Yugyeom spoke this time. "We'll help you, hyung. Don't worry."

And when everyone wiggled their eyebrows at him, Jaebum knew he was doomed.

 

 

 

 

 

Jaebum was aware of Jackson's friendly nature but he never have thought that Jackson was close to Mark. Close enough that Mark sometimes even shared secrets with the fencer. Jaebum pretended that the envy he felt was because of Jackson's ice cream when he has none.

"Mark loves skateboarding." Jackson stated as he his quickly melting ice cream. Jaebum made a mental calculation of his athletic skills. He played basketball and sometimes swimming so he believed he could do it.

Besides, it's just a board with wheels, what's the big deal?

 

 

Fifty falls and no success later, Jaebum gave up.

" this !" Jaebum palmed his face. "Why am I even doing this?" He asked Jackson from his place on the ground, who was eyeing him with something akin to pity. 

"Hey, it's okay. No one's perfect. Besides, it's only been three hours."

Jaebum felt a bit comforted at the words. He smiled at Jackson. "You're right." He started to stand. 

"How long did you get this?" He gestured to the skateboard. Jackson's eyes became guilty.

"Two hours."

"... ."

 

 

 

 

 

Two days later, Jaebum became addicted to boarding— not just to impress Mark but also because he was having fun. He went practicing at the open ground of their campus, finally getting a hang of the thing and could manage a few basic tricks.

He was currently turning when he caught a sight of red hair, loose top and loose shorts.

Mark rode his own personalized board, gliding on the asphalt like he owned it that Jaebum just had to pause.

His goal was to impress Mark but it was Mark who was impressing him. Okay.

Their gazes met.

"Hey, Prez." Jaebum hated the nickname and the only ones who could call him as such and get away with it were his friends. But Mark smiled and Jaebum couldn't feel any irritation.

Only admiration.

It was when Mark's smile slowly dissolved into an awkward upturn of lips that Jaebum realized Mark was waiting for an answer. Jaebum coughed.

"H-H-Hey, M-Mark." Mark beamed once more before his eyes descended to the board beneath Jaebum's rubber shoes, to which his eyes sparkled.

"Oh, you too?"

Jaebum followed Mark's gaze. "Y-Yeah," He whispered and thankfully, Mark heard. "That's nice!" Mark exclaimed cheerfully, making Jaebum's heart swell with fondness at Mark's bright and childish attitude.

"Can you show me some tricks?"

Well .

Jaebum doubled over. "I-I... Oh, I c-can't— I mean..." Jaebum exhaled a frustrated and pitiful breath, annoyed at himself. He couldn't even form a proper sentence. But of course, Mark would misunderstood.

"I see, I'm sorry I bothered you." Mark looked like a dejected puppy, his mouth curving downwards and Jaebum felt like the biggest jerk that had ever existed in the history.

"L-Look, I'm sorry. I'm just... a beginner." Jaebum wondered how he was still alive when he could feel all of the blood in his body rush to his face. At least Mark's expression lit up.

"I'll teach you, if you want!"

That would be ing awsome oh my god I would love that then maybe we could go out sometimes for some coffee and snacks—

"... If it's alright with you."

Mark chuckled and Jaebum definitely liked the sound. "Of course, it is! I won't even offer if it's not, right?"

"Right." Jaebum dumbly replied, finding no better answer and decided on preparing himself for the exclusive Mark Tuan skateboarding lessons.

"Okay, first off, are you a righty or lefty?"

And so Im Jaebum, after several hours, learned how to do more advance moves from Mark. Their interactions were more on the "professional" level, conversations consisted of mostly Mark's instructions and Jaebum's grunts. Mark was the silent type and Jaebum was well aware that he would only look stupid if he ever opened his mouth so he didn't bother. But all in all, Jaebum really had fun and didn't even noticed that the sun was already setting.

"It's late, we should return to the dorms." Mark announced, to which Jaebum had to agree with a short nod, a pretty shade of pink coloring his cheeks. They ate a little first though, fired each other some not-too-personal questions here and there— how old are you? what's your favorite subject?— but for Jaebum, the best part was when Mark decided to play a game. A game about making fun of their classmates and teachers.

"Have you seen Youngjae pick on his nose?"

"I caught Professor Jung secretly eating cheesecake when we were busy answering his activity. I swear it's hidden under the table!"

"Jackson always looks at the mirror to make handsome faces. Like duh, it comes out derp anyway, I don't see why he bother."

Jaebum listened attentively, chin resting on his palm as he commented and added a few insults just for the giggles. The goofy grin that was permanently etched on his face and his racing heart made him realize that , I think I'm in love.

 

 

 

"Of course you're in love, why else would you blush from the roots of your hair to the dead nails of your feet if you're not?"

"What the , Jinyoung. How did you know my toenails are dead?"

"... man, condolence."

 

 

 

 

 

"You there, where's your necktie?"

The boy addressed scratched the back of his head sheepishly. "In my dorm room? I'm not good at tying it so I just left it."

Jaebum crossed his arms, unimpressed and unaffected by the boy's manly charm. "Name?" The other groaned in a defeated fashion.

"Kang Dongho."

"Well, Dongho, I'll make sure you'll learn how to tie your necktie in the detention—"

"Baekho!" A girl with tied blond hair and a not-so-feminine voice latched herself into Baekho and Jaebum raised a brow, pen pointing at the newly arrived.

"You, why are you wearing a male's uniform? Where's your skirt?"

The girl looked absolutely murderous.

"What the ? I'm a boy, you piece of !"

That was how Im Jaebum, age of eighteen, found himself inside the bathroom face to face with a urinating Mark. "Wha-What?" Mark spluttered, surprised at Jaebum suddenly slamming the door and locking it behind him which prompted him to zip his fly earlier than what he intended and liked. "Prez?"

"M-Mark?" Oh my ing goodness Im Jaebum you just walked into Mark while his junior was exposed—

"What are you doing?"

"I... uhh... wanted to get fresh air."

"In the bathroom?"

Well . The fact that he was hiding in the comfort room slipped his mind. Jaebum gulped. "Yes." He squeaked, eyes on the dull cream tiles of the wall. Mark chuckled musically but was cut off by a loud banging on the door, making Jaebum flinch. "Yah, Im Jaebum! Get out of there at once, you ing stupid moron—" Jaebum winced at the curses at the same time awed by the wideness of Minki's vocabulary.

"Wow, even Jackson would cry if he hear this." Mark commented, referring to Jackson who curses like there was no tomorrow. Jaebum's head bobbed in agreement.

"I think I'll have to side with you on that."

"Of course you'll side with me." Mark winked at Jaebum and Jaebum's heart did some somersaults.

Of course.

 

 

 

 

 

It was nearing winter and Jaebum hated it for three reasons; one, he hated the cold. Second, he easily gets cold. Lastly, have Jaebum mentioned something about hating the cold? The point was, he loathed winter with passion. No matter how beautiful the white coated their surroundings.

He ceased walking once he entered the junior-senior building. His breath was visible when he exhaled noisily, and he rubbed his hands together. He forgot his mittens in the dorm, lying on the coffee table of his and Youngjae's shared room. He cussed mentally and looked ahead, eyes meeting Mark Tuan's.

Within the six layers of his clothing, Jaebum still shivered. He wasn't sure if it was due to the wind or Mark's presence though. Mark sauntered to him casually with his signature smile.

"Hey, prez!"

Jaebum actually remembered to return Mark's smile, flushing a bit when Mark halted a step away from him. Mark seemed to notice Jaebum's problem though. "Cold?" Jaebum nodded, tongue suddenly heavy. Mark's head bounced in understanding. Then, he did something Jaebum had never expected.

Mark grabbed both of Jaebum's wrists, his warmness almost scorching for Jaebum but it was very much welcomed. Then, Mark pulled Jaebum closer and inserted the president's icy hands inside his coat pockets with a beam. Their chests bumped, faces inches from each other and Mark seemed unfazed.

"Better?"

Well, Jaebum's body temperature definitely rose. Jaebum turned redder than before.

"Yes, better."

I freakin' love the winter now.

 

 

 

 

 

"When are you going to confess to him, really?" Jackson exasperatedly asked, running his hands on his face as if the whole confessing thing was his own problem. Jaebum snorted from where he was doing his homework, completely successful in ignoring Jackson since the younger decided to barge in his room until now. It was Jackson's hobby; bothering everyone and anyone but not really letting anyone in his dorm room.

Not that Jaebum cared.

Jackson could invite the whole universe in his room but Jaebum was sure as hell he won't come.

"Never." Jaebum answered firmly and hoped that it would serve as the period of their talk. But boy, this was Jackson Wang.

"Oh? Even if he likes you back?" Jaebum's pen stopped moving and Jackson gave Jaebum's back a triumphant smirk. "H-How would you know?" Jackson rolled his eyes.

"We're roommates, duh."

One minute Jaebum was sitting in front of his study table, the next he was strangling Jackson on the floor.

"WHY ARE YOU TELLING THIS TO ME ONLY NOW, YOU ING BASTARD—"

"I-I-I-I'm s-so-sor-ry!"

 

 

 

"Anyway," Jackson coughed a few times, still recovering from Jaebum's murder attempt. "As I was saying, you should tell him your feelings. I think he feels the same." Jaebum's brows furrowed.

"You think?"

"Yeah. And you know, based on my intelligence, you must trust me!"

"... Your intelligence is not a lot to trust on."

"I AM GREATLY OFFENDED!"

 

 

 

 

 

"Mark is leaving."

Jaebum dropped his tray of foods as he whipped his head to the boy on his side.

"What?"

Jackson looked so sad and sympathetic. "He's leaving. He's going to LA tomorrow."

Jaebum didn't really know where to find Mark and why he instantly sprinted away as soon as Jackson told him the news, but Jaebum found himself standing in front of room 317; Jackson's room which he shared with Mark. Panting, he lifted a fist to knock but the door suddenly opened to reveal a fully dressed Mark.

"Prez?"

At that moment, nothing mattered anymore but this boy and Jaebum's affections for him.

"Mark Tuan, I like you."

Mark blinked at him and Jaebum's courage was starting to evaporate so with every ounce of braveness left, he spilled out his emotions he had kept for almost four months.

"I like you, I really do.

"But I don't think your good to me. You distract me. Whenever you're near, my heart beats fast and my mind shuts down and I can't think of anything but you, you, and you."

Jaebum stared straight into Mark's eyes as he uttered the words, sincerity and honesty lacing it despite his trembling hands and woobling knees. Mark's visage was unreadable for a few seconds before a smile blossomed on his lips.

"You're talking perfectly now, without stammering. So, I think we will work."

Jaebum blinked. He was?

Wait. Was that a confession, too?

"I like you too, Jaebum. You're just too busy avoiding me to notice that I stare at you like an idiot and that my smiles are special and only for you."

That was how the student council president who was feared by majority of the student population because of his rigidness, Im Jaebum, was tamed by transferee skateboarder, Mark Tuan.

 

 

 

 

 

"So you're going to LA?"

"Nope. That was a plan your friends came up with to get you to confess to me."

"... You're all evil, what the ."

 

 

 

 

 

— おわり

 

 


 

Okay, I know this isn't really good but I just want to "unleash" my MarkBum feels and yeah. Sorry to disappoint.

 

/sighs heavily/ I hope the KCon6 tickets won't run out by the time I already have money so I could meet GOT7 this December 28. LOL.

 

Edited for some errors and I probably would be editing this some more in the future if I ever spot more. LOL. Whut?