Heart On My Sleeve

I’ll Take Away Your Pain, If You Take Away Mine (Sequel)

“How did you know I would come…?” I ask as I sit on his couch, the house seeming to be empty. “I didn’t.” He replied, the sound of him ruffling through the kitchen cabinets making its way to the living room. “I don’t know…I just hoped you would.” He shrugged carrying a bag of chips and two root beers.

 

A smile formed on my face, his raw words going right through the walls I so desperately hid my heart behind. Normally, I would never believe words like his so easily. Though I hate to admit it… with him, I hold my heart on my sleeves.

 

He sat next to me asking, “I hope root beer is okay…” I nod and confess, “I love root beer.” His smile instantly lights up the room, “I knew you were a root beer kind of girl.” He joked.

 

He bumps my shoulder with his, “So how are you?” He reminded me of a child, pure and innocent. “I’m doing alright I guess. Thanks for yesterday… I really needed it.”

 

Letting out a sigh he says, “I’m glad… That you aren’t dating that guy anymore.” I was sure that I’ve never spoken to him before, how did he know  who my boyfriend was. “Uhhh I want to say thanks but I don’t think you really know me like that.”

 

His face lit up, “Oh yeah. Uh, My name is Anthony and I was your boyfriend’s neighbor for a while and baby sat for his sister a couple of times when you two couldn't do it. I’m kind of offended you don’t remember me.” I dug into my brain trying to get a mental picture of him. “OH! I remember. You were the gray sweatshirt guy.” I gasp now remembering. He looked nothing like that a year ago.

 

“You look so different…?” I say in a whisper. “Yeah… Kind of an aftermath after getting dumped.” He said ruffling through his hair which was a beautiful sandy blonde color.  He changed for the better, his hair was cut allowing a sweep of hair to cover his forehead.

 

“You look different too,” he blushed looking at me then turning to look at the floor. “How so?” I asked fascinated, sure that I didn’t make any dramatic changes in the past year. “You have bangs now… and you let your hair grow past your lower back.” He coughed shyly.  “Oh…” I say at a loss for word, my face turning a bright pink as well.

 

“You know you deserve better. And I don’t want to say that you will fall in love with me but…” He says all in one gasp. A giggle escaped my mouth, “Breathe. I didn’t say I love you just yet.” I joked.

 

His eyes grew big with excitement, “Just yet??” He repeated. I open my root beer and take a sip of it. When I lower the can, his face was so close to mine. My mouth full of soda, he leans in kissing me softly on the lips. I swallow the soda quickly from shock and push him away. Letting out a cough, “What was that for…?!” I gasp.

 

He gives me a soft smile and leans in again. I back away as he gets closer, unsure whether I wanted to kiss him again or take whatever relationship we have slower. As I back away, he puts his hand behind my head and holds it still as he kisses me again, this time with more intensity. Though I wanted to pull away, I couldn’t help but kiss him back.

 

We talked some more, and kissed some more. Soon the sun was down, and it was time for me to head home. “I’ll see you.. uh..” I say unable to think of any words. “Tomorrow.” He finishes for me, planting another kiss my lips. I blush unable to control my now racing heart.

 

What relationship we have… I still don’t know what to call it nor do I even want to label it. All I knew was that what we have now is so pure and innocent that I wouldn’t trade it for anything else in the world.

 

As we walk toward the car, I see my ex heading towards it too. “Oh …” I whisper unable to control the mess I called my feelings. “It’s okay,” Anthony assured me, placing his hand on the small of my back and guiding me forward. “Anna…” My ex said acknowledging only me as all three of us stand in front of my car.

 

I attempt to greet him, “Hey… Now isn’t…” Anthony stops me and senses how uncomfortable I was at the moment. Once I stop my words, he notices Anthony’s existence. “Anthony… What are you doing here…” He asks, instantly feeling the tension in the air.

 

“Anna I’ll see you tomorrow okay?” Anthony says looking at me gently, but placing his attention back toward my ex. My ex looks at me confused. His confusion instantly changing into rage as I walk toward the driver’s side door. Before entering, Anthony embraces me, “Don’t worry, I’ll take care of it.” He kisses me on the side of my face, and opens the car door for me. I nod and enter the car.

 

I begin to drive away, my eyes finding Anthony’s through the rearview mirror.

 

Though it may seem strange, and in some people’s eyes I may be a terrible person, but I trust Anthony.

 

Simply because he is the only person to ever get me to hold my heart on my sleeve. He was the only person who was able to take away my pain. And I will do the same for him.

 

 

 

**I hope you guys enjoyed this Sequel... I know it's still short. I hope this allows you to have closure about Anna and Anthony's relationship after they officially met.

Excuse any errors in grammar and/or spelling. I'm still technically on vacation but I wanted to get this out for you guys to read <3