001

Waiting

“Baro-yah,” Sandeul called over the phone.

“Oh, Baby-yah. I’m still on the way,” Baro said, eyes concentrating on the road. “Is everything ready?”

“Almost,” Sandeul answered. He was preparing a candle light dinner with his boyfriend on the top of his apartment building. “Everything will be done when you’re here.”

Baro smiled. “Thank you, Baby,” he glanced at the bouquet of red roses and a box of heart shaped chocolate on the passenger seat beside him—he was going to give it to Sandeul as a gift.

“No need to thank me,” Sandeul placed the phone between his ear and shoulder as he took out the chocolate cake he baked special for Baro. “I love you, that’s why I’m doing this for you.” And I miss you. We haven’t spent time together pretty long.

“What a sweet boyfriend,” Baro marked. “If you haven’t finished, why did you call me?”

“I want to hear your voice. I can’t wait to see you. I miss you,” Sandeul mumbled the last sentence shyly.

“I miss you too,” Baro grinned. “Now, let me concentrate on the road and you can continue preparing, ok?”

Sandeul pouted and reluctantly said, “Fine.”

“And do not put that pout on your lips,” Baro said.

Sandeul’s eyes widened. How could Baro know that he was pouting?

“Ok, Baby? See you later. I love you,” Baro grinned widely, imagining his lover’s cute confused face.

“Oh. Ok. I love you too.”

“Wait for me, Baby.”

“I always do, Baro.”

--

Sandeul sighed. A satisfied smile plastered on his face. Finally, everything was ready!

Sandeul had asked for his neighbor’s helped to put the table and chairs to the top of the building. It was now decorated beautifully.

Sandeul had cooked special for Baro. He made beef steaks, barley soup, and a special chocolate cake.  They were now put on the table, together with two glasses and a bottle of wine, two candles and a vase of fresh flowers.

The sky was beautiful too. The stars were shining brightly and twinkling beautifully. The king of the night was shaped of a crescent.

Everything was just perfect! The meal, the place, the weather… Baro would absolutely love this!

Sandeul was so happy. Baro was always so busy with his job and they barely spend time together. Sometimes, Sandeul felt lonely. But he never complained. Sandeul understood Baro well, and he believed that Baro loved him.

“It’s alright,” Sandeul always said everytime Baro apologized to him. Baro often called Sandeul during his work-time. “Just continue your work and don’t think about me, ok? I love you.”

And Baro would always says I love you too and repeating apologies over and over again. Sandeul would chuckled and convey him that it’s alright.

Sandeul smiled at the memories. Thinking about Baro, he was so happy and excited to have a special dinner with Baro. He was going to tell Baro that he loves him so much!

So, he sat on the chair, and waited for his love to come.

--

Baro couldn’t stop smiling. He was so nervous. Baro chuckled, feeling funny that his heart beats so fast jus by imagining Sandeul.

Baro then fished out a small box from his pocket. He smiled as he opened it, revealing a beautiful ring. Yes, he was going to propose Sandeul that night.  They had been dating for six years and he knows that that night was the right time.

“So, what should I say in front of him later?” Baro spoke to no one in particular. “Lee Sandeul—I must kneel down in front of him when I call him—my sweetest love, my brightest sunshine. Let’s stay together and start a new beginning. Just you and I. So that we can spend more time together and loving each other deeper. So—okay, I have to look into his eyes when I say this—would you marry me?”

One, two, three seconds.

Baro scratched his head, feeling that those words were too cheesy!

“Lee Sandeul, would you marry this handsome and charismatic Cha Baro?”

Eew! No way he says that in front of Sandeul!

“Ok, then. I’ll make things simple,” Baro gripped the steering wheel tighter. “I’ll give him the chocolate and bouquet, say that I love him, and have a wonderful dinner. After that, I’ll walk towards him, kneel down in front of him and say some simple words, ‘Lee Sandeul, would you marry me?’”

Yes! That’s it! Sandeul must be surprised and happy. The corners of Baro’s lips rose, imagining Sandeul’s smile and happy tears after the proposal.

Baro snapped out of his mind when he heard a car honked at him. Baro glanced at the mirror. A silver car with a high speed was going to go pass him. Baro gave the car more space on the road.

The silver car sped up. The silver car was now in front of Baro.

Where are the polices? That car was so fast.

Suddenly, the silver car stopped right in front of Baro! The shocked Baro turned left panickly, avoiding the silver car. But Baro wasn’t lucky. His car was out of control, and then hit the fence on the road side. Baro’s car was crushed on the front part. As if that wasn’t enough, a black car then hit him from the side, just right where Baro was seated! Baro car was totally crushed.

The silver car had driven away as if nothing happened!

The driver of the black car was fine. She walked out from her car.

“Oh God!” the girl was panic when he saw Baro. “Somebody help him!”

People started to gather around. A man came to help her.

“Sir, please help him!” the girl panicked.

“Oh dear!” the man shouted. “It’s crushed right at the place where this man is seated. The car is totally crushed. It would be hard to get him out. Somebody, call an ambulance!”

“Oh, God! What am I supposed to do?” the girl started to cry.

“Sir, can you hear me?” the man called for Baro, just to hear no response.

Baro was there, eyes closed, lifeless. His head was bleeding so badly. His legs were crushed together with the front part of his car. And, what people there didn’t know was that; a ring was in Baro’s hand—a ring that he was going to use to propose his lover; a ring that he bought with his own hard work, for the one he loves. That there were a bouquet of roses and a heart shaped chocolate that were now were splattered by his blood. And that he loves Sandeul very much…

--

Sandeul sighed tiredly as he checked his watch. Where is Baro? Sandeul had tried call him, but he didn’t pick up. Maybe his mobile was on silent that Baro didn’t know that someone was calling—Sandeul tried to think positive.

The candles started to melt by the fire, the weather was getting cold—so did the food. Sandeul rested his chin on his palm as he his wine-glass. Bored. Worried. He sighed again as the fire on the candles was blown off by the wind.

Oh…

It’s alright, Sandeul cheered himself up. Baro would surely come.

So, he kept sitting there, waiting for his love—that nobody knows, will come or not…

--

Uhh, sequel, anyone?