Summer nights

A5 Notebooks

It's a warm July night when the city is bustling with life. The warm breeze creates a somewhat cozy atmosphere, attracting crowds on to the streets alternatively spent near the heater and under sets of fluffy blankets during the winter. It's somehow sweet, because it reminds the members of a different time, a time that existed long before now. People often tend to dig up the long forgotten memories of carelessly dancing under street lamps along the sidewalk and buying that grape soda with extra fizz for a dollar because hell  things were cheaper back then. Looking up at the midnight sky with jewels sewn across and wishing time could stand still. 

It's been four years since Kyungsoo has wished upon what was probably an airplane with deceiving lights. It was a night like today's that he realised he had fallen absolutely, completely, utterly in love with Byun Baekhyun. Who looked at him with those perfectly gleaming eyes, and a heart throbbing smile which was better than any late night memory. Kyungsoo can't even place when exactly Baekhyun wormed into his heart, all he knows is that Baekhyun is a necessity. Like how he needs exactly one teaspoon of sugar in his latte, or has to have all the shoujo manga in his collection in alphabetical order according to author.

Kyungsoo is easily irritated by the smallest things, mismatched socks, his team member's unhygienic habits, especially any sort of disorder in his daily routine but baekhyun is the exception. He is the flaw in kyungsoo's otherwise perfectly organised life but he wouldn't have it any other way. There will be nights that he will toss and turn in bed wondering if Baekhyun will ever remotely feel the same way. Most nights he can't help the tears that roll down his cheeks onto the soft cotton of his pillow, neither can he hide from the fears that eat him away. It feels like a bloody game to him, because Baekhyun is always there, and Baekhyun always knows when something is wrong and Baekhyun always seem to know exactly what to do. It's so unfair because Kyungsoo is only falling deeper and deeper everytime and there's no way out. Kyungsoo's blossoming love for Baekhyun is uncontrollable. It's like a bush of wild flowers thriving in him, but it's also suffocating and sometimes he can barely breathe. 

To dilute some of the stress that accumulates from what seems to be everything, Kyungsoo writes. He writes in feelings and deep emotions, not that "2day was soo fuunnnn! :-p" crap. He writes like his life depends on it, because if he can't make a tiny space in his head for some quiet time he'll feel restless and he doesn't have time for that. Not when he has endless hours of singing and practicing choreographed dances in his tight schedule. 

An A5 notebook coated in black with an elastic that secures it shut is carefully tucked away in between the space of his bed frame and wall, where there is a small crevice that nothing can fall through. It would most likely be missed even if you were lying on the bed. An investment that kyungsoo made four months ago but the book is almost used up, pages filled to the brim with ink. 

Flipping through the pages many different bits and pieces still seem to fit together. 

'His smile...'

'I love it...' 

'Everything about him...' 

'I cried...'

'It's been three nights...' 

'I'm so close...' 

'I'm not close at all...' 

'What does he mean...' 

It's in his wildest fantasies to confess, because their friendship is a big price to pay for his one sided feelings. Baekhyuns messages have always been unclear, never unwelcoming, but never overly welcoming enough to think otherwise. Or perhaps if they were, Kyungsoo would always convince himself they weren't because it seems to good to be true. 

-----------

Kyungsoo doesn't know that a month ago Baekhyun found his diary. He has no idea that Baekhyun also feels the same way, and that the prospect of confessing is just as bone chilling as Kyungsoo thinks it is for Baekhyun as well. People say that the saddest people smile easily, and Baekhyun is always smiling radiantly, but many people don't realise he's also very broken. To the point he's afraid to make any significant advances. Only to topple over and make the cracks in his heart wider and more difficult to mend.

He blushes while reading a page that Kyungsoo refers to a dream he had...

'Pushing me hard against the wall, I could feel his hands running through my hair and his hips connecting with mine. He told me he loved me and I cried... I've longed to hear those words, it's unimaginable. Of course it was only a dream.'

Every page he flips to erupts a series of different emotions in him. Sometimes he feels unbearably happy, but also unbearably guilty because he never thought Kyungsoo was hurting like him before he caught on to the diary. Regardless, he would comfort a short tempered Kyungsoo who would have his hands wrapped around a spatula that did more swatting than cooking the next morning. Telling himself he'd wait it out, until the time was right.

Baekhyun finally confessed by the closing of July. It was spectacular, like when the two main characters kiss at the end of a good film and you silently say 'finally' in your head and find yourself falling asleep easily that night. They discovered that the best love is patient, because timing shouldn't change anything but it can change everything. The best kind of love creeps up on you slowly, until your body and soul belongs to the other even if unknowingly. That's the kind of love that is one in a million and it's theirs, only theirs. 

 

P.S - Fixed the awkward mistake of writing POV Baekhyun when it was still in 3rd person, thank you commenter for pointing that out xD!