The End is the Beginning

Light above the Sakura Tree

Light above the Sakura Tree

The summer heat pressed through the tan-kissed skins of the crowd. No one seemed to notice the girl behind the Sakura tree attempting to shade herself from the harsh sunlight that she doesn’t want to see anymore. It was the same season where she last saw him. It was in this day when he decided to part from this small town to escape, to be free.

Music blasted off blocking her from the outside world. She knew she can live with her only acquaintances – music and sense of right and wrong. Though the mind she calls ‘friend’ isn’t always on her side. It always calls her insane introvert.

Hanna sighed and removed the plugs from her ears. She composed herself before proceeding towards the others.

The town of Sakumira is celebrating their founding anniversary. Everyone lighted their lamps despite the daylight – this is to, as the elders of the place say, thank their founders in supporting to create the whole town. Sakumira is an island located in the South of Japan. It is named after the numbers of Sakura planted around. During the spring, the pink leaves blossom making the whole island look like it’s made of cotton candy.

As she walked through the crowd, girls in her age looked at her with pity. Hanna knew why. It’s all because of him. Everything is because of him…

The messy black hair, the blistering gaze, the high cheekbones. She can’t forget about everything about him. How he strode the ground with ice cold façade, the opposite of his real personality. The boy brought wonderful memories but painful sentiment towards her.

“Mayor, Seoul granted my granddaughter a scholarship in one of their prestigious school. Will you bless her departure this coming Sunday.” Lee Dongjun bowed to their leader.

The education in this place is very limited. The men are workers, farmers or leaders and the women are housewives, nannies or teachers. The technology is there but you can say this is the place with the least possession of gadgets despite being in the country with the advanced technologies.

Most teenagers go to different towns or countries to study in higher degree of education – most of them are the official’s sons and daughters, the wealthy, the talented, and the intelligent. The left young adults are destined to serve the town.

That’s why he left… He doesn’t want to live in a place like this.

For Hanna’s old friend, his family is rich. She can say that the boy is also gifted as well as intelligent. This place isn’t for him. He needs to soar high and reach higher even without Hanna.

Now she’s going to the same path as him but with a different purpose. She’s going to leave but it’s not for her own, it’s for her grandfather and little brother. She’s not going to leave for good.

“Your granddaughter is very talented, Dongjun.” Talented? You do not know what ‘talent’ you are talking about.

Hanna bowed at him with respect. “Thank you, Mayor.” She murmured.

She knew this is unfair. The discovery of her talent was so surprising that it’s not even fathomable. Her soft voice – you would think that it’s only a pure gift blessed to a girl. But that’s what people thought.

Her voice, soft like an angel, mellow like the waters flowing normally through the rivers, it’s extraordinary but the effect of her rough tune is the polar opposite of her sound.

Because of this, she was forced by the government to move to Seoul where the students with talents stay and come out until they are ready.

 

 

The breezy dawn arrived. Her eyes watered at the sight of her four year old brother with undersized legs, plump face, doe eyes and blonde hair. Their genes are always interrogated by lots because their parents don’t have the same blonde hair as them or purple eyes. It’ll not be a surprise if her brother grows up just like what she is.

Hanna wondered how many years she’ll be staying at Korea before she comes back at this place. It might take very long years. The long summer, Sakura tree, her hard-working grandfather and her thoughtful caring brother. She’ll miss it all.

“Let’s go before the train leaves you.” Dongjun tapped her shoulder. “Noona, how many apples are you going to bring back?” Yoongi, dressed in blue striped pajamas with ice cream prints, asked while scratching his doe eyes. He has his panda bear stuff toy in his left arm and his handkerchief on the other. Lots can never see him different from an angel.


“Noona will bring you hundreds or maybe thousands okay? Study hard, buddy. I’ll send lots of money to you.” She messed his hair like she always do. The kid grinned widely like it’s the most precious thing his sister had said to him.

Hanna felt her heart sink knowing how sensitive Yoongi is. When he finds out that she’s not going to go back for some time, he’ll cry a river literally. The both of them shares a connection that no other siblings have. It’s like they are one piece divided into two – that’s how she feels.

The sound of the train is loud and clear echoing in the mid-sunrise of the sky. There are other parents bidding their goodbyes to their own children. How does it feel to have parents supporting you? Whatever that is, she doesn’t know.

 

The scenery passed back and forth through her sight. The small hills contained green grasses, flowers and trees bearing different kinds of fruits. She remembered playing over these place with him.

“Yifan! Stop! We’re not kids anymore. My goodness, how did you got too fast?” She shouted in between her deep breaths. Exhausted, she dropped beside the shade of the Sakura. “Sorry, I just get hyper when sunset comes.” Yifan breathed with a big grin on his face. He dropped beside her.

They watched as the sun hides fast behind the leaves of the Sakura above them. “This looks so peaceful.” He pointed above them. Hanna didn’t respond but he knew she agreed. “It is peaceful.” She whispered.

They didn’t remember how they became close. The only thing they know is Hanna wasn’t easy to get close with. Her identity is hid perfectly behind those clandestine eyes. Yifan is different – He might appear cold but he’s the outgoing one. Opposites really attract each other. Their friendship is an example to that.


“Why are you always calm?” He turned to his side facing his special friend. “Our teacher shouted at you. If I was that, oh god, I would’ve punched her even if she’s a girl.” Yifan crossed his arms a little upset about what happened earlier in school. “I don’t care. I didn’t want to make a scene, Yifan.” Hanna sighed and closed her eyes feeling the heat of the left sunset light hitting their faces.

It was long before she opened her eyes not realizing that the stars had formed their constellations in the dark sky. When she turned to the side, Yifan is there staring at her own eyes. They were giving off the emotions he felt, the words that can’t be said through conversation. “You know I can never leave you right?” He whispered.

Hanna nodded. Everything, she shared to Yifan. They trusted each other like they are the only ones left to hang on. It is partly right since there aren’t so many people that likes to be with Hanna. She’s the quiet one who doesn’t interact that often.

“Let’s promise each other.” Yifan said and held up a stick that is obviously from a Sakura tree.

“I, Wu Yifan, will never ever leave Lee Hanna… I will be right by her side forever.”

“I, Lee Hanna, will never ever leave Wu Yifan… I will be right by his side forever.”

Together, they broke the stick in two. One part for Yifan and the other for Hanna.

It’s an unbreakable oath. They believed each other about this. No one would leave…

Hanna closed her eyes before drifting off to an uncomfortable sleep.

 

 

“Welcome to Ahrirang International School.” The dean smiled through her black-framed glasses. She has purple eyes – the same with Hanna. Then she confusedly asked herself if the woman is the same as her. “When I sing, people will calm down even in any occasion.” She explained with a grin. Hanna just nodded, aware that everyone in this school must have different kinds of extraordinary talents like hers. She just wished she’s not the only ‘danger-labelled’ student.

The guards outside the office lead her to the school’s apartment. There are students phasing around socializing with other kids. As always, she felt left out. Never in her life did she feel comfortable with strangers even those in her age zone.

They stopped in front of a wide door with label ‘Special’ on it. It’s a big question – whether she is special or not. The man opened it. Stepping inside, the room is illuminated with the sunset light outside the wide window. There are two chandeliers inside, one for the living room-like part of the room and one above her bed both are colored with light orange.

The bed has four posts on every corner and a roof that has blurred white jalousie that lets the light pass. Light blue for the bed cover and royal blue for the pillows and comforter. On the side is a mahogany night table with an apple laptop, few books and lamp shade on top of it. She had only seen something like this in Wu’s residence.

“Your study corner, miss.” The guard said pointing her hand on the corner that has a wide desk table with a lamp on it. There is a mini-shelf on top and lots of pens. It’s the perfect study table she had seen. As for the books, they are placed in a big shelf on the upper side of the study corner. Lots of them.

“Closet.” The guard pressed a remote opening a walk-in closet. Everything is remote controlled. There are cabinets for wardrobes, pants, shoes, accessories and jewellery.

A whole family can live here. It’s the perfect room for any girl but it’s not that perfect for Hanna. The pain she’s having has overcome the supposedly happiness she should feel.

“Tomorrow is your first orientation. Your dinner will be served privately. Please relax and have a wonderful stay.”

Wonderful, my .

 

“How can I even hate someone like you, Yifan?” Sarcasm is obvious in her face.

“You can never hate me. You love me too much.” Yifan replied.

 

Love? Hanna rolled her eyes on that memory.

The guard was right. Dinner was served inside her room. First, the luxurious room and now, a tongue-twisting delicacy. She can’t help but feel guilty. Yoongi and her grandfather might be eating dinner not near delicious as this. She sighed for the nth time in the day.

The food is inviting but the green stereo lying on top of a table is much more interesting. Ignoring the food, she stood up, skipped towards the sound system and looked at the titles framed on top. There are classics, jazz and popular music. Pressing the cold button, it suddenly played relieving the whole room with soft sound. Hanna hummed with the music making it times better.

The students around passing outside her door heard whatever she is singing – they felt good, better even. They halted in front of the room and stayed to listen at the soft sound they are focusing to. The melody rang inside their head and it seemed like the voice came from an angel.

“Damn.” A boy said. He was hypnotizing a maid through his eyes when he suddenly heard the angelic voice from the special room. He made way to the door – everyone stared excited to know who owns that sound. Then he opened it.

Hanna stared back at the boy who has eyes that are lighting. He has black hair, mesmerizing eyes and thin lips. “Wow.” He whispered. “Byun Baekhyun, what did you do with this woman?” A middle-aged woman walked towards the boy in front of her. She’s not describable as a teacher so it is quite surprising that she is. “Ah? What? Yeah… I was trying to make her get some more food for me but she said she was a bit busy with her ‘personal’ work.” The boy said making the bunny ears with his fingers. He rolled his eyes.

Hanna knew that this guy is rich. She can tell. “Ah, who is that girl?” He whispered to the teacher. She eyed Hanna who also looked at her with nothing. Like nothing, nothing. The teacher cleared and composed herself. “Good evening, Hanna. I am Ms. Lim Chona. I am your voice teacher. Pleased to meet you.” Then she bowed. Hanna bowed back but the emotionless face didn’t slip.

“Hi! I’m Byun Baekhyun.” The boy winked. With raised brows, she nodded in response. “Not a vocal person?” He joked. “I choose not to say what I think.” Baekhyun’s ears tingled even at her talking voice. “Plus her voice is very important. I suggest you to stop bothering her and set your concentration to your talent.”

“I can control my talent well, Miss. Do you want me to try my new trick?” Baekhyun grinned.

Baekhyun’s eyes can hypnotize anyone – animals or humans. When he stares at the person, it’ll hear his singing voice making it do whatever he commands. “No. I’m going to eat at the faculty room. Hanna, I’m going to see you tomorrow, good night.” She turned but faced Baekhyun again. “Stop hypnotizing maids.” Then she walked away.

Hanna shrugged and started unpacking. She stole Yoongi’s mushroom plushie before leaving Sakumira. She placed it on top of the bed before grabbing a weird looking stick that looks like it’s a part of a branch cracked in to two. She stared at it then continued with her clothes. Baekhyun only watched her but decided to help her – if he’s capable of that.

“So you’re the dangerous girl from Japan that they are talking about?”

No answer.

“And I thought I was the one to get the special room. Do you want to share?”

She shot him a glare. “I’m just kidding. What is your talent?”

Hanna sighed and folded one shirt. She didn’t even look at him. “I’m not going to leave until you speak.” Hanna just passed beside him towards the closet to hang some of her dresses. She’s here not to make some friends or some history. She’s here to complete that ‘education’ offered to her and go back to Sakumira with lots of money… and apples for Yoongi.

“Your silence is very deafening. Can you at least say yes or no? Or maybe tell me to go out?” He has no his arms crossed while leaning on the door frame of the entrance of the closet. The room is pretty incredible and he would give anything just to have it. Too bad, there is someone more special and talented than him and that is Hanna.

Her eyes drifted from the white floral dress she’s holding then towards his direction. Her brows raised at the sight of his ease even when he knows she’s labelled as dangerous. “The exit is the same as the entrance.” She pointed outside then continued on her work.

Baekhyun is the type to have girls falling in their knees begging for his attention. But no one can catch his eyes, because he never looks. He has to see beyond the person, or hear. Hanna’s voice got him falling to the midst of ecstasy in between his ears. This is his reaction when he suddenly heard her. So angels really do exist?

Hanna sighed. “Just go out. I’m tired.” Knowing that Hanna might just be tired, Baekhyun shrugged and headed out.

The morning came longer than what she expected. Her sleep wasn’t that comfortable. The bed is too soft for her liking and the air conditioner is set too high. She was freezing last night even with her body covered in the thick comforter.

Unfortunately, maids have entered her room breaking her short sleep. They assisted her to shower even though she’s completely capable of doing that to herself. They also picked what she’s going to wear, then styled her hair neatly and applied some make up on her face. When she checked herself on the mirror, it’s undeniably not her. She looked… ravaging? The colors put in her face enhanced her features.

“Breakfast is in the Grand Hall, miss. We would like to assist you there right now. Everyone is waiting for you.” When they said that everyone is waiting for her, she didn’t expect that she’s really the only one missing in the table. With a red face, Hanna sat down on her seat next to a red-haired girl who has a stunned face and a boy who has black hair and poker face. “Good morning everyone.” Ms. Lim greeted. Everyone smiled and greeted her back. There are Japanese, Chinese and Koreans here but surprisingly, everyone knows how to speak the three languages.

The breakfast started and everyone dug in. Hanna placed some fruits on her plate. She’s not used to stuffing her stomach with so many during breakfast. It feels nauseous. “Baekhyun, you are so late.” Ms. Lim rolled her eyes. Hanna turned to look up only to be finding Baekhyun, the boy last night, still working on his shirt buttons. He was looking all over the long table like he’s searching for someone. When he found Hanna’s eyes, he smiled and walked towards her. “Hey, Kyungsoo, can you move away?” Baekhyun said to the boy seated next to her. “Go find your own seat, B. I’m too tired to move.”

Baekhyun clapped his hands. Two maids popped out from nowhere with a chair. Kyungsoo adjusted to make space for Baekhyun. “Ms. Lim is trying to make you work more?”

“Every damn night. It’s kind of tiring since my voice isn’t unlimited.”

“It’s your fault, Kyungsoo. If you can’t control your voice, you might ruin this world with your storms.” Kyungsoo is one of the dangerous students. His parents found out about his special ability when he was young. He was singing a gloomy song then dark clouds arrived and soon, it was reported that there will be a big storm in Korea. They thought it was purely coincidental until agents from the government came knocking on their house demanding for their son. When he sang again, the storm stopped. There are many examinations done before they actually believed he is capable of doing those things.

Kyungsoo is one of the unfortunate kids to be sent here in the school when he was still young. He grew up here and he can’t remember his parent’s face anymore. He just wished this will all be finished soon.

“As if I have a choice. And what? I can control it now completely. It’s just the CEO that wants me here. He thinks that I’m actually useful to the future. He’ll never let me go.”

Hanna can’t help but listen to their conversation. It must’ve been really hard for him and she might end up just like Kyungsoo. “Don’t worry Kyungsoo, after I’m done with my special courses, we can escape then we’ll conquer the world together… But I want Hanna to come with us.” He turned to her. “Hanna, this is Kyungsoo, a special student. Also labelled as dangerous. Kyungsoo, this is Hanna, she has the same case as you but I don’t know what she’s capable of. Go on shake hands.” Kyungsoo has heard of her yesterday though no one really knows what her ability really is.

Kyungsoo shyly offered his right hand and she shook it then continued eating. “Hanna. Let’s sit together during orientation okay?” Baekhyun asked. No answer again. Then it came back to his mind that she’s not that responsive type of person. “Silence means yes.” He grinned before eating his own food.

There are other students talking about how their nights were. Some just ate quietly and some are just shy. Everyone is very differently similar around here. The noises held when the large door near the big windows opened. Two guards in red uniforms came out followed by the most stunning man. He walked the ground like it’s his own, there are sparkles glowing around him, his blonde hair is perfectly in mix with the sunlight from outside and, Hanna knew him well.

The air around her blocked her thoughts. The sight of this boy sent chills on her spine. After all these years, she never knew he’ll be found here. Everything came back – the feelings, the memories, and the pain. Everything in him changed but it’s him. Those eyes are his.

Hanna found herself standing up. It wasn’t voluntary. Her pulse is loud and clear in her ears. Every beat is almost her death. She wanted to cry but she can’t. She wanted to reach for him and never let go but that’s not fair for her.

Everyone stared. Ms. Lim was the only person who isn’t surprised at her sudden movement. She knows lots of things about Hanna. “Kris, please sit down.” She called. Kris? Wu Yifan is his name. The boy stared back at Hanna. He was shocked as well. “I want you to meet Lee Hanna, the school’s new special student.” Yifan gulped but tried hard not to let the others see how he was feeling. Everything seemed to skip back years ago. She looks different.

“Yes. We know each other. We came from the same hometown.” He responded. Hanna’s mouth trembled. We were bestfriends.

“Alright then. Please continue eating, Hanna.”

 

The orientation didn’t go too well. Yifan kept on stealing glances towards Hanna and she never tried to look at him. Baekhyun was talking nonstop beside her and even though it is really annoying, she’s a bit thankful to have her mind distracted from Yifan. “I think my cousin likes you. I’m not letting him get you though.” This statement got Hanna’s attention.

“It’s Wu Yifan, he’s my cousin. The tall guy that came out from the examination room this morning – yep that’s him. And he mentioned that you both came from his hometown? I bet you know him since he’s really famous for his good looks-“

“Examination room?”

“I’m a talkative person but I don’t like to tell anyone about his personal things.” Baekhyun shrugged. “Sorry, but I promise, I’m going to ask his permission if I can-“ “No need. I was just curious.” And worried. Hanna knew that this school has so many things. And them examining Yifan is a bit worrisome. Is he like me? Does he have a talent too? The question repeated on her mind. If that’s the case, then she shouldn’t be angry towards Kris. The government likes to grab talented kids from anywhere and make them puppets in the future. It was a bit pathetic, actually.

 

Lunch was served in the hall’s dining room. It’s much bigger than the one they’ve eaten on this morning. Hanna found herself walking with Baekhyun though she never liked his company. Kyungsoo is following behind talking to someone that can’t be seen. In short, he’s becoming a lunatic. Anyone who doesn’t know would say that but Baekhyun knows that Kyungsoo is an introvert and he doesn’t want to get surrounded by noises and crowds.

Hanna felt the same. She doesn’t want to be around lots of people as well. Before she gets herself suffocated, she walked away leaving Baekhyun on a middle of a sentence that she doesn’t care about. He stood there dumbfounded and a dilemma between following her or not.

Hanna ran towards a stair without any idea of the blonde guy stalking behind her. She reached the top and looked for a place with good air. Good thing there’s a balcony left open. Walking towards it, the scenery outside becomes clearer in every step. Fresh air, finally. One night she’s been here and she already wanted to go home.

In this time of the day, she would be under a Sakura tree hiding her body from any light above it. She’ll be thinking how the rainbow forms or just some random things that would come into her mind. There is no Sakura here so it would be a bit different but at least, outside has some few trees to be shaded to. Hanna inhaled the fresh air smelling like morning dew despite the time being noon.

Then she started singing again. Even in acapella voice, everything seemed to be alive. She’s just that amazing. “Hanna…” It was familiar but the voice sounded a bit huskier. She ly to find her old friend. “Yes?” She asked him without any hint of emotion. A pang of guilt spread inside Yifan’s stomach. “I’m so sorry… I didn’t have-“ “Are you like me?” Hanna asked out of nowhere.

“No. Hanna-“

“Then why’d you leave?” Her lips trembled. No. Don’t spill your tears, Hanna. It’s dangerous. Everything about you is dangerous, Hanna. She told herself.

“I had to. It was for my-“

“Your own sake? Yep, Sakumira is too low for you. Even though we supported each other, I wasn’t enough. My recipes weren’t enough. The only lights are the stars and sun. The Sakura isn’t enough.” She erupted. After these years, she can’t take it anymore. “You left me, Yifan. Your own bestfriend.”

“Hanna, it’s not that! I’m here for-“

“Hanna? Yifan?” Baekhyun stood there with a dumbfounded look.

 

Their eye connection broke. Hanna looked back at Baekhyun. Yifan did the same. No one spoke. Hanna walked away even the air outside isn’t enough to keep her calm. She didn’t know whether to go back to the hall or to her room. No place in here is comfortable but she drifted towards the hall. The afternoon orientation is almost starting when she arrived. Her chest is heaved with big pain. All she can do is stare at space and try not to think about him or anything.

Back at the balcony, Baekhyun is there standing while staring at his older cousin. “She’s your bestfriend?”

Yifan nodded.

“And you didn’t tell her what she did to you?”

“She’ll get hurt.”

“I know but she’ll get more hurt if you don’t tell her. And that girl… I just don’t want her to get hurt, Yifan.” Baekhyun spoke in a mature manner. Not like his usual self and Yifan knew him well. Baekhyun won’t be like this if he’s not really interested. Hanna really is different.

 

A week passed inside the school and the classes goes on. Everyone has heard Hanna’s voice. She never sang in front of anyone though. All she did was go to Ms. Lim and practice her voice but the students would take a peek and hear it.

“Her voice is extraordinary, President. She can heal any sickness with it! We can use her to raise our country.” Mr. Ko started. “Let’s make her stay like Kyungsoo, Baekhyun and the other students as well.” He suggested.

The school’s president shifted on his seat and adjusted his eyeglass. “She’s from Sakumira, Japan. She can’t be forced, Mr. Ko.” Ms. Lim butted in.

“Just imagine how the other countries bow down to us if ever we use them!” Mr. Ko debated.

The woman rolled her eyes at how selfish their school’s director is. All he wanted to have is power and that’s that. He doesn’t care for the kids. “Kyungsoo is in an emotional state. He misses his parents. Will he follow you if ever you force him? Think. Don’t be stupid and selfish.”

“President Kim?” Before he can answer, two boys – one is chubby with mono-eyelid and the other has a dark skin tone, walked inside the office. “Dad! There is this disgusting worm in my bathroom. Get rid of it!” Jongin groaned. Minseok sat on a chair with arms crossed. He placed his feet on top of the other chair and watched at the scene with lazy eyes.

“I’ll send a maid to your room.” The president answered.

“Anyways, do you guys know Lee Hanna? I want her to be my date at the grandball.”

“You can never ask her out, dude.” Minseok answered.

“Whatever. I just want her to be my date.”

“Good luck in talking with her. I think she’s a singing mute.”

“Shut up, Minseok.”

Jongin and Minseok are half-brothers. They have the same father but different moms – obviously. “Mr. Ko, Ms. Lim… I’m going to talk to the girl about it. It’s her choice.” The president answered. Ms. Lim smirked and scribbled on her notebook. She’s on the student’s side all the time. She thinks that it’s not fair to be imprisoned here to be the government’s puppets.

 

At her room, Hanna wrote on her notebook lots of lyrics. None of them were right. She needed to be inspired. “Our… words… collide? No, that’s very wrong.” She told herself and closed the paper. It’s time to wander around and clear her thoughts.

She’s been writing to Sakumira lots of times but she had finished just two. The thought of her brother and grandpa filled her concentration. She wanted them to reply as soon as possible. If that’s even allowed in this school.

With a great sigh, she paced out of her box and strolled on the hallways. The institute is bigger than Sakumira’s town hospital. There are lots of divisions – Music, Science, Arts etc. There are also lots of talents she had discovered.

As she pass the instrument room, her feet ceased and turned back to peek at the one who’s playing the wrong key. Piano is a special instrument and it must be played with great emotion- and with the right tones. In every mistake, something inside her breaks.

It wasn’t who she expected. It wasn’t the blonde guy with hypnotizing looks. He doesn’t have his height or his lean figure. It wasn’t him-

Before her thoughts about Yifan continues, she walked inside. That’s a move without thought. It’s not her nature to just walk inside a room with a person in it. Call her an anti-social but that’s her perception.

The boy stopped and looked. The light on his eyes shone with great glee. It’s not that Baekhyun and Hanna don’t meet in some classes but there is just something that he likes about her. Well, he does like her.

“Miss me?”

“Actually, I’m just disturbed by how you play the piano.”

Yes, of course it’s not Yifan. Yifan- Kris is a perfect pianist. He won’t even commit any mistakes. Throw him a new piece and he can play it without practicing-

She shouldn’t really think about him.

“I thought I was awesome.”

“Yep, you thought.”

“Can you show me?”

His stare burned inside her and there was someone singing in her head. A voice softer than the wind of the autumn, more wonderful than the field of the harvest. And she sat… But then she fought it. “Stop using your hypnotism on me.” She shook it again. “If I teach you, what do I get?” It’s the game of “giving is receiving” – one of her mottos in life. In every effort she suffices, there should be a prize she will obtain.

Baekhyun look up as if thinking of something. And there wasn’t something. Everything he can give but there is no matter that he might know Hanna desired. “See, there is not-“ Then he knew it. “I can tell you why Yifan is here.” She suddenly stopped.

It’s not his place to tell Hanna how Yifan had been. But as he sees her, she needed to know. The whole week he’s been with her, the only thing that she’s showing is nothing. No emotion, no feeling… but except when she’s singing. Though no one really had witnessed how she sings.

Kris and Hanna are bestfriends and she has the rights to know what’s really going on. “I- I don’t care about him.”

“Of course you don’t.” He said with an eye roll and started playing again. There was that breaking feeling again when he played wrong. Like a glass shattering because of too much cold. She sat beside him and pressed on the right keys. She started playing on the right tempo… on the right emotion.

Then she’s in a whole new world. The Sakura was back and the light subsiding behind it. Every yearning evaporated. She has stepped into what she’s desiring. Sakumira- Home.

The boy can perceive through her. She’s an angel sent for him. And even though her outlook towards Yifan is that obvious, all he sought is for her to be contented and to be with her when she’s really happy.

“You healed him.” She stopped when the words came out. “You healed Yifan.”

“What do you mean?”

“Before he went away, doctors discovered his heart disease. He wasn’t in a good state when he was still in Japan. All of us, his relatives, thought he’s going to die. And… and everyone was surprised when a girl healed him.” He answered. He wasn’t looking at her anymore.

Hanna remembered singing to her bestfriend when his parents told him he was sick. That time, she didn’t know she has that ‘talent’. And she also didn’t know that his sickness wasn’t any kind of fever. All she knows is when she’s singing he becomes all better. “I healed him.” She whispered. “But that’s not it. He was healed so why did he has to go? Why did he leave me?” Not caring if she’s being too whiny now, Hanna just want to know the truth.

“He-“

“There you are! Is Baekhyun bothering you? By the way, I’m Kim Jongin and you’ll be my date tonight at the Grandball.” Jongin smirked between them. So there is someone more bothersome than Baekhyun? Yep there is.

But her look on Baekhyun never faltered. It stayed there after some few seconds and she turned towards the other guy. He’s the infamous son of the President. Obviously, an . “I don’t like balls.” The pun on her statement made Baekhyun smile. Before she walked away, she turned her gaze to Baekhyun.

“I’ll be waiting for you. 7pm.” She said and headed out.

“Was she talking about my balls?” Jongin scratched his head.

“Yes.”

“And she doesn’t like my balls?”

“Yes.”

“And you’re going to the Grandball with her because she said so and she likes your balls?” That made Baekhyun blink but he smirked. “Probably.”

 

Dresses and heels. Makeups and perfumes. This night is considered as one of a kind. It’s a night that will complete a girl’s to-do list. Not all girls, by the way. Because there is Hanna who is just wearing a simple blue dress that flows until her mid-thigh. She can’t even believe the maids made her wear heels. Plus the fact that they are very glittery.

Her hair was curled exposing her angles very carefully. Breathtaking might be the right word.

At last, the clock strikes 7pm. Also on that second, a bell rang. She’s expecting that though. But when she opened the door, a blonde-headed met her gaze. “You look beautiful.” Stunning is undeniably the word suited for him. With his tuxedo neatly hang on his figure and his hair fixed on a gentleman hair. He’s the prince the girls wanted for tonight.

“Hi... Kris.” She greeted without the smile she usually does when she’s with him. She’s not angry anymore but the pain is still there though she has no rights to get hurt because the reason of him leaving is still a puzzle.

“Hey. I want to invite you tonight. There’s a Grandball.” That’s a fact Hanna already knew.

Baekhyun watched them from a corner and wondered if Hanna is going to accept his offer. Of course she would. She missed him and probably would like to spend time with him. They can’t be separated and if he’ll make her choose between him and Yifan as her date, of course she’ll chose him. There’s no point in continuing.

“Sorry… But I’m already going with Baekhyun.” She answered.   

Shock filled B’s face but on the other hand, Hanna might be doing just to make Kris jealous but then again, Hanna isn’t that kind of girl.

“I see. Do you like him?”

Does Hanna like me? That echoed inside Baekhyun’s brain. And the answer? He knows but it would be too hurtful to hear it from . It will tear his heart into pieces because from the start her looks are on Yifan, his cousin.

“Oh my gosh! I’ll look completely dumb beside my date.” Baekhyun suddenly popped into their conversation. Kris stared blankly at him but decided not to utter a word. “You look okay.” Hanna replied even without looking at him. “…Let’s go.”

At the ball everyone socialized but not her. “Earth to the prettiest girl here who doesn’t even know how to smile.” Her date waved his hand in front of her. “Or do I have to use my power on you again?”

“Whatever. I feel sluggish.”

“Is it about your conversation with Yifan?” He forgot. Hanna didn’t know that Baekhyun was eavesdropping on a corner and before she comes up to that interrogation, he pointed. “Oh look at the juice it looks sweet. You want a glass?”

Of course Hanna knew Baekhyun is acting weird. But to hell she cares. Or maybe she does but she’s just too tired to think about it. “You haven’t told me what happened to Kris.” Oh yeah, the conversation this afternoon. Baekhyun was about to tell her before when Jongin decided to pop out from nowhere and asked her to be his date for tonight- which is a fail.

“I don’t think we can talk about it here.” She understood and let the night slip away.

 

As she entered her room, there are three envelopes lying on the floor. Two are from Sakumira and one is just from this school. She opened the Sakumira letters first because she just can’t help it.

Dear Hanna,

We missed you so much. I told Yoongi you’ll be late to come back. I thought he was going to throw fits but he just told me you’re busy getting some apples. I hope you come back on Christmas and we’ll celebrate together. Oh and bring apples.

The festival just finished and there’s a picture on the second envelope. Young lady, you study hard there and we’ll meet you soon. We love you. Okay? Take care.

Sincerely, grandpa.

She’s on the verge of tears while opening the other envelope. Yoongi and her grandpa took a picture with a man on a Sakura costume. He looks uncomfortable yet he’s still smiling. Yoongi is on his thumb like he usually does and grandpa is just giving a thumb up while smiling on the camera. She missed them.

One week passed and everything seemed so far. She just wanted to finish it all and come home. Hanna hoped that the President or any officer of the school would grant her wish to spend the Christmas on Sakumira.

Before it’s too late, the last envelope lied on her hands. She tore it open and read what’s inside.

Good day,

I would like to have a breakfast talk with you first thing in the morning.

-President Kim

Whatever the reason is, she doesn’t know. But the first thing in the morning, she didn’t go there. She knocked on Baekhyun’s door first because he left his coat on her back. Maybe Baekhyun put it around her when she fell asleep on the party last night. She was that exhausted.

No one has ever made the effort to do that thing for her. In Sakumira, other kids are too ‘cool’ to talk to her and Yifan has never done anything like that. It’s always sunny in Sakumira and Hanna never leaves the house without a jacket.

Baekhyun wasn’t there when she knocked but a maid came out and offered her assistance. The second thing she did was to find the President’s office and on her way there, she met the douche, Jongin.

“Hi!” He greeted. “I didn’t get the chance to ask you to dance last night. You were asleep.”

“Yep. I guess I was.”

“Where are you going?”

“The president’s office-“ “Oh I forgot. My dad called all the special students. Good luck.” He winked before slipping away. Jongin is the president’s son? What a twist of fate – she thought in a sarcastic way.

Soon, she found the office. Inside was a big chandelier almost the same as the ones in her room. There are sofas on the entry way and at the main room, there is a mahogany table on the center and mahogany chairs around. This school has the hots for mahogany. Maybe it’s the CEO’s .

Inside are Yifan, President, Ms. Lim, Mr. Ko, Baekhyun, Kyungsoo and her. “You’re late.” Mr. Ko said strictly. “Oh, I had a hard time looking for the office. I apologize.” She replied.

President Kim introduced himself for Hanna. He never forgot to mention how anticipated he is for having Hanna in his school. Then he introduced Mr. Ko, the school’s director and Ms. Lim, who she already knew. Then Baekhyun, Kyungsoo and Yifan.

“You already know Wu Yifan, he was the one you healed… And you transferred a talent on him.” That was new. Also, that was the most surprising statement in her stay here. “W…what?” She stuttered. The morning air passed on her neck. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo kept quiet but Yifan didn’t hold his tongue in.

“She doesn’t have to know.”

“No Yifan, I have to know. Tell me about it.”

It was Mr. Ko who answered her. He’s a strict man, she can tell. With his black hair and thick framed glasses, she knew men like him too well. Act like they are all tough and cold but in the end they are just too ordinary and scared and stubborn.

“Your ability to heal by singing is really strong. But the opposite of it is the worst. In the tune you control, you can either heal or kill.” Mr. Ko started which got everyone’s attention. Hanna knew. He doesn’t have to mention it. “… And Yifan was on the verge of death when Hanna saved him. It was strong. No one knows how or why her talent affected him. It left a mark on him.” Ms. Lim continued.

Love. They all thought quietly. Only great emotions can affect great power. It doesn’t apply only to those who have special talents but also to the ordinary humans. “…and also, we’ve been observing. Yifan can give great pain to the people who has used their powers on him. It’s in his control. He’s learning. And just last night there’s a result that came… Yifan can die if he hears you singing again and that will be a loss for everyone.” Mr. Ko explained. He was talking about Hanna obviously.

“What? How can that happen? Hanna was the one who healed him! How can her ability affect him?” Baekhyun asked.

“That’s it! She gave him so much affection that healed him but because of that, he was uncontrollable and gave her back a great pain which made her talent rage. Their power connection aren’t compatible anymore because of it. I’ve read that theory by James Waterfiel on ‘Ability, 21st Century’.” Kyungsoo interrupted.

“I was going to tell you that last night.” Yifan whispered. “I’m sorry Hanna.”

“No…” She’s crying now. “After all these time I can’t move forward because of the great affection I gave you and when you left, I received the great pain instead.” She shouted. “And… and that pain… with or without my mark on you, I’d still feel it. Not because of your power but because we are bestfriends. Of course, I’ll be in pain. And now I just found out that you’re here and you didn’t even tell me why. You’re here because of me… And that hurts even more.” She added.

“That’s the effect of his power on her.” Mr. Ko whispered. The president shook his head.

She sobbed. “I’m sorry. I can’t help it.”

“It’s okay. Anyways, here are contracts that say you agree to stay to work for our government.” Mr. Ko showed lots of papers that pissed Baekhyun. “You called us for this?” He spat. “We’re still studying and you’re pressuring us on this? Sorry but no.” He said and caught Hanna’s wrist before exiting the office.

 

Yifan stared blankly at Hanna’s empty seat. The look on her face was agonizing. More agonizing than anything else in the world. “Did you see how she looked at me, Mr. Kim?” He whispered with a tired voice. “Don’t blame yourself, Yifan.”

“I was the one who gave her great pain… This stupid power.”

“It’s not the power. Like what she said, even without your power, if you leave like that, she’ll hurt.”

“But this power is the reason I have to leave in the first place…” Yifan sighed.

“I’m with Baekhyun though. I won’t sign that contract, Mr. Ko. I’m not a puppet but if your try to force me, I’ll be happy to make a storm.” Kyungsoo said again ending the conversation.

 

“Hanna, talk to me come on.” Baekhyun insisted.

“Baekhyun, shut up okay? You barely know me. You met me last week. Stop acting as if you care. It’s not funny.”

“Hanna.”

“Who even wanted to be with me in the first place? My only bestfriend even left me.”

“Hanna-“

“And I can kill him if he hears my voice… That’s…” She sobbed again.

“Hanna. I care about you okay? Stop this. Lean on me.” He pulled her into him and hold onto her tightly. The world suddenly stopped. Even for Hanna. His scent, his difference from Yifan… His alien character. Everything about Baekhyun is admirable and maybe the reason why she hasn’t seen it is because of Yifan blocking her from every other things.

“I won’t leave you. Even if I die because of your voice. I’d even be happy to listen to it.” Hanna sobbed more, wetting B’s clothes in some places. But he doesn’t care.

“I can’t see my bestfriend anymore, Baekhyun. He’s the only one who understands. I love him… He’s my bestfriend.” My brother, my first friend, my first love, my father… He is one of my all.

“You know even if you’re so hard to understand, woman. I would still try.” He smiled and patted her back. “I would love you and care for you.”

 

“Do your really want me to keep it as a secret?” President Kim asked.

“Please. I don’t want to hurt her more.” Kris replied as he stared at the real results of the examinations of his abilities. “If she finds out that she’s the one who might die because of my talent, she won’t stay away.” He smiled.

“That cousin of yours, Baekhyun, is going to keep her company.” Ms. Lim said sadly.

“I think he’ll take good care of her.”

 

As the Christmas approached, the Sakura leaves didn’t fall. They stayed with the snow falling on them. It added to the color. It’s the twenty-fourth of the month and Hanna sat under the Sakura tree. The sun is up but it was still cold.

A snow ball hit her chest and as she looked up, Baekhyun laughed at her. Yoongi was riding on his back. “Yah! Lee Yoongi! Grandpa will get pissed if he sees you playing in the snow. Go inside before you catch a cold.” Hanna blurted which made the two boys grunt. Yoongi pumped fist with Baekhyun before running towards their house.

B lied beside her and looked to where she’s watching. It’s almost sunset and the silhouettes of the Sakura branches reflected on them.

“Let’s promise each other.” Yifan said and held up a stick that is obviously from a Sakura tree.

“I, Wu Yifan, will never ever leave Lee Hanna… I will be right by her side forever.”

“I, Lee Hanna, will never ever leave Wu Yifan… I will be right by his side forever.”

Together, they broke the stick in two. One part for Yifan and the other for Hanna.

They stayed quiet for a moment and out of nowhere, the two of them started laughing. “I miss him, Baekhyun.”

“I miss him too, Hanna. We’ll see him soon.”

As they witness the sun setting behind the tree, Hanna thought about everything carefully. It was meant to happen. If it didn’t, she wouldn’t be here… She wouldn’t be happy and she would never find things out.

When she found out the real results, it was too late. Yifan already signed up to serve China for three years and until that ends, she’ll wait. She’ll wait for her bestfriend to come back home.

“Baekhyun…”

She stared.

“Hmmm?”

“The light… it’s not behind the tree right? The light is above the Sakura tree.” Realization hit her. These years without Yifan, she thought the sunlight also tried to leave her by hiding behind the tree but that light never hides… It just can’t be seen in her perspective.

She grinned and from then on, all is well.