The Love Bus

The Love Bus (one shot)

Here we are, my bestie and I, riding the bus to school. It was rush hour and a lot of people were anxiously looking at their wrist watch checking every second each time the traffic lights turn red. My best friend was standing up straight beside me while I shyly occupy the seat. I looked up to him and he beamed a smile in return. Have I mentioned how cute and charming my best friend is?  He’s one of the coolest ulzzang in school. Every girl wants to stay close to him and each one of them is probably plotting a crime to kick me out of the picture. But no one ever succeeded to keep me away from him. He’s just too overprotective and he always came when mean girls try to bully me, cut my hair short or simply push me down the stairs. To cut it short, he’s my knight in shining armor! He looks a bit stern with his manly features and intense glare, especially when he’s mad, but nonetheless…he’s a warm, comforting person on the inside.

 

“Cherry!” His low voice struck my daydreaming mind. I blinked my eyes twice and asked “Why?”

 

“You’re spacing out again! I told you not to skip breakfast!” He smacked my head lightly. I held the spot that he hit, with one hand. Then trailed my fingertips in circular motion and massage it over and over again.

 

“What’s with the pout?” His index touched my pouting lips in an instant. “YAH! DOO JOON~AH! Will you stop doing that? Where not five-year old kids anymore!” I yelled, enough to catch everyone’s attention. I swallowed hard and apologized sincerely as I bowed my head a few times. Then I shifted my eyes back to Doo Joon. He grinned like a bobcat while I looked back at him with an annoyed face.

 

“Doo Joon~ah, why can’t you take me seriously, huh? We’re not kids anymore and you can’t just hit me like we used to do when we’re little kids playing like there’s no tomorrow…we’re both grown up…” I said seriously, hitting his abdomen with my left elbow. Then I felt something hard as my elbow hit his abs. ‘When did he start having those metal-like muscles aka abs? I never saw him lifting weights…that only shows we’re not little brats anymore…he’s keeping secrets from me and I keep secrets from him too. He hangs out with his guy friends and I hang out with my girlfriends. You heard it right, ‘girlfriends’. I have quite a few friends other than Doo Joon. There’s Corina and Hazel who both didn’t have a crush on Doo Joon because they have their eyes fixed on the senior hottest guy in school, Kim Jaejoong.

 

“Does that mean I can’t kiss you like we used to do?” He pouted cutely. “Eh? What makes you think that I’ll let you kiss me, huh? AISH! ert!” I hissed.

 

He twitched his eyebrows again likewise what he always do, “Didn’t you remember that you were always the one who initiate the kiss?”

 

“We’re too young and innocent back then…plus I didn’t know it wasn’t right until I reach this age…” I crossed my arms around my chest and defended myself from him but I could feel my cheeks heating up as he continued to tease me.

 

“Araso! No kissing, no physical contact and uhm…what else? Does that include no sleepover every weekend?” He tapped his chin with his index.  “I didn’t say we can’t have physical contact! That will be too weird if we stay a meter away from each other…” He hastily took my left hand and said, “If that’s the case, I can hold your hand like this?” He placed his fingers in between mine and held my hand tightly. I glanced at our intertwined hands and looked up at him sheepishly. He avoided my eyes and looked away. ‘Is he blushing? OMO! My bestfriend’s cheeks are blushing! Those tomato red cheeks are so darn adorable!’ I tried to pry my hand off his grip but he held it tighter. We stayed like that for about a good 15 minutes…no one tried to initiate a conversation again. Suddenly the bus stopped at one station and an old lady went inside and stood close to us. I offered her my seat and she smiled sweetly at me and bowed her head to say ‘Thank You’. I smiled back and stood elbow to elbow with Doo Joon. I was feeling more uneasy with our hands. Then the bus driver stepped hastily on the brakes to avoid hitting a kid who recklessly crossed the street. My small framed physique was instantly dragged forward. Doo Joon finally let go of my hand but he wrapped his arms around me. My head rested on his chest, hearing his heartbeat.

 

“Aigoo! What a cute couple! You’re boyfriend is too sweet!” The old lady teased us.

 

I put all my strength to pull myself out of his embrace. “Halmunee! He’s not my boyfriend!” I pouted and she chuckled a bit on my cuteness.

 

Scenes that happened after that incident became awkward. There was dead air and no one even tried to break that silence. When we finally reached the station close to our school, I bowed my head in respect “Annyeong Halmunee!” I waved my hand and she smiled in return. Doo Joon did the same but the old lady whispered something to his ear. He chuckled and said, “Ne Halmunee, I will…” I looked at him with a curious face but he stuck his tongue out and said, “It’s a secret! Right Halmunee?” The old lady nodded briefly. “ARASO! PALI! We’ll be late for school!” I took my bag and headed towards the door when I accidentally bumped into someone then my phone and his dropped on the floor. “Jwesong hamnida…” I apologized right away. “Gwaenchana…” He uttered back. Then he bent forward and picked up our phones and hand me back my phone with a smile plastered on his face. ‘Oh My God! He’s effin HOT!’ Our fingertips touched a bit and believe it or not, it sends shivers down my spine. “T-Thank Y-You!” I stuttered, struggling for words to say. ‘Why the hell am I stuttering? Can you blame me? This guy is freaking H-O-T! He’s an epitome of a Greek God who went down to Earth to spread his handsome race! What is happening to me? C’mon! Get a hold of yourself!’

 

“Let’s go…we’ll be late…” Doo Joon pushed me slightly, breaking our contact of Mr. HOT guy in blue cap. Have you counted how many times I said the word HOT?  I’m getting crazy! Doo Joon held my hand again, but this time it’s my right hand. I took one last glance at the Mr. Hot guy (Oh here I go again!) and surprisingly our eyes met. He winked his left eye before the bus drove off. ‘Did he just wink at me?’ My body froze at that moment and Doo Joon pressed my nose with his thumb and index. “AHHH! What’s wrong with you?” I yelled at him as I hit his arm. “Serves you right…Cause you’re always spacing out!” Then he ran, lightning speed, towards the school’s gate.

******

“Yoboseyo?” I said, after three rings I got from the phone on my bag.

 

“Is this the girl I bumped inside the bus this morning?” The caller asked bluntly.

 

“EH? Nuguseyo?” *Who is this?* Unknowingly, my heart starts to beat faster than its usual rate.

 

“This is Yunho…Jung Yunho...the guy you accidentally bumped this morning…” He said softly.

 

‘OH MY GOD SUN! HE’S THE HOT GUY IN BLUE CAP! HOW DID HE GET MY NUMBER? AHHHH...IS HE THAT INTERESTED IN ME? IS HE A STALKER OR SOMETHING? CHERRY, DON’T PANIC! PRETEND YOU DON’T CARE!’

 

“Yes, I remember you…you’re the (*H-O-T*) guy in blue cap right?” I asked, trying to get hold of my bursting excitement.

 

“Yeah…” He answered briefly.

 

“Why did you call? And how’d you get my number?”

 

‘Lesson 1A: When there’s a hot, handsome guy who approached you…Never, ever let him feel that you are interested on him too! Well, it should happen after he asked you out on a date! But not now! Not on the first base, getting to know each other stage…kekeke…

 

It was dead air for a minute then he cleared his throat and finally spoke up.

 

“We have to see each other…do you have free time after school?”

 

‘Is he asking me out on a date? Isn’t it too early? We just met this morning and now he’s asking me out on date? AIR! AIR! I need some AIR!’

 

“W-Why?” ‘Oh shoot! Somebody please kill me now! Why do I always stutter when I talk to this guy?’

 

“I’ll tell you why when we meet again…so I’ll see you at Checkmate Café at 6pm? Is that okay with you?”

 

‘6pm CHECKMATE CAFÉ NOTED! Wait! Class will dismiss at around 5pm. And then I have to meet the members of the arts club at 5:05pm. The meeting usually lasts 30 minutes and then the trip back from school to home is more or less 45 minutes (that is if Doo Joon and I are lucky not to be caught in the middle of a traffic jam) If you add up the time, (I’m not a MATH wizard! So you do the MATH, okay? ^_^) Then that would mean, I could not come to OUR date on TIME! Or worse, I will meet him…wearing this school uniform! *sigh*

 

“Are you still there?”

 

“……..”

 

“I guess that silence means ‘YES’?”

“Uh…uhm…” Before I finished my words, he said “ BYE! Can’t wait to see you later!” then he quickly hanged up.

 

‘CRAP! This is my very first date! Ottoke haji? *What should I do?* Well it’s not really my ‘very’ first…cause Doo Joon and I spent each Valentines’ Day together though we’re not a couple.

 

I stared at my phone for a good 15 seconds then Doo Joon snapped a finger right in front my face.

 

“YAH! Who’s that?”

 

“Who’s who?”

 

“The one who called you!” He hissed then grabbed my phone but I quickly snatched it back.

 

“None of your business!” I playfully stuck my tongue out.

 

“Since when did you start keeping secrets from me, huh?” He twitched his eyebrows again which made me chuckle a bit. “Are you secretly dating someone?” His eyes squinted in curiosity.

 

“Aniyo! H-He…He’s a friend…” I uttered firmly.

 

“HE?” He shot back. “You mean a ‘male’ friend other than me?” He put emphasis on the word ‘male’.

 

“Why do you have so many questions? Am I not allowed to have male friends besides you?” I shot a glare at him.

 

“Is he courting you?” He asked, out of nowhere.

 

“EH? Jealous much?” I pouted in annoyance. “Maybe you should date one of your fan girls! You’re thinking a bit too much…”

 

“Yeah, you’re right! I think it’s time for me to date the one I love!” He said, seriously.

 

I blinked twice and glanced at him in awe. “Can you repeat those last four words you said?”

 

“The One I Love…” He uttered giving ample time in between words.

 

“OMO! My bestie’s in LOVE!” I squealed in happiness and hugged him tight.

 

“AHHHHH! Stop it! I can’t breathe!” He struggled but I held him tighter. Few minutes after, I pulled myself away and stared at his eyes. “Who’s the ‘not so lucky girl’, huh?”

 

“What do you mean by ‘not so lucky’?” He hit my nose with his index again. “She’s going to be the luckiest girl in the world cause she have me…” He boasted off.

 

“AISH! She will surely back off when she finds out that you’re always bragging your charm!” This time it’s my turn to smack his head. “OUCH!” He yelped in pain.

 

“Seriously Doo Joon~ah, who’s this girl? Do I personally know her?” I gave him my seemed pleading eyes but I guess it didn’t work on him.

 

“You’re gonna find out soon!” He smirked.

 

“Fine!” I sighed and slumped back to my chair. “By the way, I have to meet someone after class…so don’t wait for me…and when you got back home, tell my mom that I’ll be back before 9pm, okay?”

 

“Who are you going to meet?” He asked curiously.

 

“Since you don’t want to tell me who your future girl is…then mine’s secret too…” I stubbornly said then looked away.

 

****

The night falls quickly as I stepped outside the school’s premises. “Great! I’m 30 minutes late for my ‘very’ first date. I just gave Mr. Hot guy in blue cap, a very bad impression.” I breathe in deeply then stormed my way out. I ran and ran hastily, not wasting another minute to stop. When I reached Checkmate café, it was already 7pm. My heart’s been pounding hard as I placed a hand onto the knob. I went in and checked if he did wait for me. The waiter approached me and said, “Good evening ma’am…please come in…your friend’s waiting at the left side corner near the veranda.” He gave a comforting smile.

 

“Oh…how did you know that I’m his friend?” I asked with a questioning face.

 

“Cause he said, someone’s going to come wearing a school uniform…” He chuckled then ushered me to the seat. “This way ma’am…”

 

I followed him as I fixed my wrinkled skirt and checked myself on the mirror every chance I get. ‘Maybe I should use the powder room first and freshen myself. I can’t look like an exhausted lousy student in front him. That would be a 101% turn off. Since when did I start giving a damn care on how I look? Doo Joon always teased me but he never pushed me to use those make-ups worn by anorexic models on the cover of magazines. He never said it straightforwardly, but he says plain and simple girls are more attractive. Well, that is based on his own beliefs. Not every guy on Earth thinks the same way as my best friend thinks. Wonder what Mr. Hot guy prefers? A simple laid-back girl or a y fashion freak ?’

 

I was about to excuse myself first when the waiter stopped. Since I wasn’t paying much attention to him, I accidentally hit my head hard on his back. “AH! Mianhaeyo!” I bowed a few times. Then I heard someone chuckling, I peeked my head out a little. Mr. Hot guy (maybe I should stop giving him this nickname), Jung Yunho was sitting on the table, all smiles.

“Jung Yunho! You owe me one!” The waiter told him and Yunho stood up and gave him a pat on the back.

 

“Changkamanyo!” *Wait a second!* I held the waiter’s wrist tight when he was about to leave us alone. He turned his head back and asked, “Do you need anything?”

 

“Uh…uhmmm…” ‘AISH! This isn’t the right time to stutter!’ Suddenly, I felt two hands placed above my shoulders. “Hyuk Jae, there’s nothing wrong here…you can go now…” Yunho said in a low voice. His mouth is so close to my ear that I could feel his warm breath slithering my skin. I swallowed hard and looked down on my feet in embarrassment.

 

“YAH! JUNG YUNHO! Don’t do something nasty!” He scowled then back off hurriedly. ‘Did I just hear the word ‘nasty’. OMO! What situation have I gotten into? Is Yunho a member of a Mafia who cheats young girls like me with his charms? And then afterwards, if he succeeded to gain my full trust, he’ll sell me to these old rich men as slaves. AHHHHHHH! ANDWE!’

 

“Have a seat…” He whispered to my ear. ‘Dang! Jung Yunho! Are you testing your seducing skills on me? Cause if you are, you’re definitely doing a great JOB!’

 

I took the seat as what he told me but I refused to have eye contact on him. I stared down at the table but I could feel his stares at me.

 

“You want anything?” He asked softly. “Coffee, Tea, Cake or Me?”  ‘EH? He placed himself as one of the options? CRAP! Yunho! STOP teasing me! How can a guy be flirty and adorable at the same time?’ I could feel my cheeks start to blush madly.

 

“You okay?” He asked me worriedly. I nodded fast in response. “Then why aren’t you looking at me?” He asked again. ‘What happened to the things I learned from months of training on how to maintain calmness even on stressful situations like this? The way he talks, laughs, or even the way he simply muffled sounds shatters the wall I struggled to build.  How can I look at you without resisting myself from kissing those sweet lips? AISH! You’re making me nuts!’

 

“Tell me, what’s wrong?” He lifted my chin with one hand and stared at my orbs. ‘Somebody please help me pick up my heart. I think it falls to the floor the moment our eyes met. You know what’s wrong, Jung YUNHO is that you’re freaking HOT! You’re a piece of man-made flesh! You’re the HOTTEST guy I’ve ever seen and I want to EAT YOU UP!’ (*GONNA EAT YOU UP! SO YUM YUM!*)

 

“Nothing’s wrong…” I shook my head, hiding my flushing red cheeks. “Anyways, why did you call? And how’d you get my number?” I asked bluntly.

 

He smiled shyly and placed a hand on his nape. “I don’t know how to say this but I guess have to say this since you’re here and you took a lot of efforts to be here…though I’m still a stranger to you…” I looked at him intently, watching him mouth every single word.

 

“Where is this heading to?” I asked back with a confused face. “Try to make it simpler…I have curfew and I should get back home before 9pm…” ‘Jeez, I sounded really rude there!’

 

“Oh okay…Then let’s make this fast…” He smiled then placed his phone on the table. “Can I have your phone?”

 

“EH? My phone?” My thoughts were still hazy but still I took hold of my phone and placed it on top of the table too, beside his phone.

 

After a few minutes of silence, he took my phone and gave his phone to me. “Here’s yours…” I reluctantly accepted it with my two hands and asked, “Why are you giving me your phone?”

 

“Take it…it’s actually your phone…not mine!” He simply said.

 

“What are you talking about?” My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as I gave a quick glance on the phone in my hands and onto his.

 

“Didn’t you notice that we have the same cell phone model?” He smiled widely. “And so?” I shot back. ‘OMO! Don’t tell me we switched phones this morning?!’

 

“Yeah…we had a switch of phones this morning…” He nodded. ‘Is this guy a psychic? How did he know that I was thinking the same thing?’

 

“I just noticed it when you got off the bus…I saw your wallpaper with your boyfriend…” He paused for awhile and sighed deeply. “But I couldn’t get off the bus cause I’m already late for work…”

 

“Oh! I’m sorry I didn’t notice it…” I apologized sincerely. “It’s okay…it’s my fault…”

 

“No! It’s my fault…if I wasn’t so careless then we wouldn’t bumped into each other…” Then I saw a smile crept his face.

 

“By the way, I haven’t introduced myself yet…I’m Cherry...” I extended my right hand to meet his. I gave him a hand shake and pull it back afterwards. ‘Why is it that whenever our skins touched, my heart skipped beats?’

 

“Yunho…can I call you Yunho?”

 

“No problem…it’s nicer to hear than Yunho~sshi…It’s just too formal, it makes me feel old…”

 

“What a coincidence, we have the same ringtone too…and FYI, he’s not my boyfriend…he’s my best friend Doo Joon…” I uttered as I checked my phone.

 

“CHONGMALYO??” His mouth agape. His eyes flustered open. With his face seemed to be in great shock.

 

“Everybody thinks Doo Joon and I have this intimate relationship…but we’re friends nothing more than that…” I answered briefly, and then his smile went wider.

 

We chat like forever and I started to feel at ease when talking to him. He doesn’t seem to be the Mafia guy that I thought he was. Yunho’s very gentleman, well-mannered and undeniably HOT! Too bad, he’s not interested on me at all. Maybe he just wants to get back his phone that’s why he asked me out. I enjoyed every single second of conversation we had that I didn’t notice that it was already 15 minutes past 8pm. My eyes caught the café’s wall clock. I jumped off my seat and said, “I’d better leave…”

 

“Gomawo Yunho~sshi…I had a great time…” I bowed once then ran towards the exit.

 

“Wait Cherry!” I heard him screamed but I didn’t turn my back. ‘I should stop this fantasy now…he will never set his eyes on someone like me! It’s better if I’d run away from him than make myself miserable for falling deeply in love with him.

 

“AISH! Where’d she go?” Yunho scratched his head as he eyed on each corner.

 

****

“Why can’t I sleep?” I tossed and turned my body on the bed but I guess sleep wouldn’t knock my head filled with Yunho’s image. “Why can’t I get rid of his image?” I buried my face on the pillow until I can’t breathe normally. Suddenly, my phone rang. ‘Eh? Yunho? Yunho’s calling? Is he?’ I threw the pillow on the floor and hastily grab my phone on the bedside table.

 

“Yoboseyo?”

 

“……”

 

“Yoboseyo?”

 

“Yunho~shhi?...”

 

“Who’s Yunho?” Doo Joon asked.

 

“Aish! What do you want?” I scowled.

 

“Do you have your monthly period?” He asked.

 

“I’m not in the right mood to listen to your teases Doo Joon…” I sighed in dismay. ‘Why do I feel sad knowing that it wasn’t Yunho who gave me a call? And why am I waiting for his call? He wouldn’t call. Would he?’

 

“Cherry, is there something wrong?” His voice sound worried.

 

“Nothing…I’m just tired…” I let out a fake yawn.

 

“Who’s Yunho?” He asked again.

 

“Uhm…he’s the male friend I met at the café…”

 

“….”

 

“Did something happen?”

 

“Doo Joon~ah, I’m going to hang up…I’ll see you tomorrow…Goodnight! I love you bestie!” Then I pressed the end call button.

 

“Yoboseyo? Yoboseyo? Cherry? Still there?”

 

He sighed deeply. “I Love You too…more than you know…” He mumbled then rested his back comfortably on his bed.

****

Days passed and I never saw Yunho again. It felt like a part of my heart stays at the bus whenever the doors open and I took a step forward. It became a reflex that I’ll turn my head and wished Yunho’s there staring at me. But he wasn’t.

 

“Cherry! I’ll see you 8pm same place!” Doo Joon screamed and stormed his steps towards the school.

 

****

My hands are trembling from extreme cold while waiting for Doo Joon to arrive. I was standing beside the old oak tree planted on the center of a park in Seoul where Doo Joon and I used to play when we were young. The cold breeze slithering my face reminds me that I have to purchase new winter clothes and get the old ones from the storage box, cause I know soon…the snow’s going to fall.

 

I clenched my hands, blowing warm breath as I patiently waited for him. 30 minutes past 8pm, still he hasn’t arrived. One hour past, he’s still nowhere in sight. Then it hit me, that maybe Doo Joon’s just playing pranks on me! ‘Aish! Doo Joon~ah! Wait ‘til I get my hands on you!’ I screamed mentally. “It’s getting darker and colder out here…I think it’s time for me to leave…”

 

As I took a step forward, the tree started to light up. Little stars dangling on the branches of the old tree. My mouth went wide open in shock as I was taken aback by the beautiful scenery right before my eyes. I couldn’t mutter any sound while eyeing on those reachable stars. I could pick them if I want to, but I let them dangle there and let my eyes feast ‘til everything’s over.

 

Then my eyes caught a hand behind the tree. “Nuguseyo?” I asked, voice trembling from fright.

 

“It’s me…”

 

“Who? Are you the God of Trees?” I said sarcastically.

 

Doo Joon went out to reveal himself in a black tuxedo. His hand was holding onto a pink box with white lace ribbon on top of it.

 

“YAH! What’s with the outfit? Are you going to attend a party?” I laughed. He didn’t say a word and continued to walk towards me. Inch by inch, my heart pounded mercilessly. I didn’t know what to think. He’s never been this serious his entire life. Not that I know of. ‘What has gotten to his mind now? Does the cold weather affects his sanity?’ When he’s just a feet away from me, I took a step back but he caught me by the hand and held my wrist.

 

“Doo Joon~ah, what’s wrong? You’re scaring me!” I playfully hit his arm with my other hand.

 

“Cherry! I was too scared to admit this, my entire life…It never really crossed my mind that this day would come…” ‘Oh no! Doo Joon! What the heck are you doing? Is he going to confess? NAH! Don’t fall to his traps!’

 

“Inside this box are all of the memories we shared together as friends, brother and sister…you became more than a family to me…you’re there during my ups and downs…you’ve been present every important milestone in my life…I don’t know exactly where it all started…all I know right now is that I LOVE YOU more than you could possibly imagine! Let’s take this friendship another notch…Please be my girl…Will you?”

 

I didn’t know how to react. That sudden confession made my mind blank. Unconsciously, I laughed hard. “YAH! In what drama series did you get those lines from? Seriously, you should stop watching those drama flicks!” I tried to make the atmosphere lighter but it didn’t work. I coughed a few times and said, “Doo Joon~ah, let’s go home!” I turned my back against him.

 

“When will you take me seriously, huh?” His voice was utterly serious. I momentarily stopped and he walked in front of me. He held both my hands and stared deeply in my eyes. “I’m serious!” He briefly said. “I wasn’t supposed to tell you this but I feel the need that I should tell you now before it’s too late!” He paused for awhile then breathes. “Ever since that night you went to Checkmate Café to meet that Yunho…you’ve never been the same.”

 

“What are you talking about? I’m still that stupid, clumsy, best friend of yours!” I shot back.

 

“You know exactly what I’m talking about!” His eyes were moist.

 

“Do you like him?” He asked, bluntly. ‘Hell yeah! I like Jung Yunho! No!  Scratch that! ‘I Love Jung Yunho!’ He’s the first person that ever made my heart stop, skip beats and make it fast again!’

 

“…….”

 

“That silence means ‘YES’…” His face saddened and his hands slowly slide off my hands.

 

“Doo Joon~ah…” I whispered softly. “I’m sorry…I love you and you know that…” I sighed. “But Yunho…”

 

He cut me off quickly. “ARO! Your feelings for Yunho is beyond friendship…” ‘AHHH! Why am I still waiting pathetically on that Jung Yunho whom I know for a fact would never reciprocate my feelings for him? I’m so stupid! Remind me to bang my head on the wall when I got home for not accepting Doo Joon’s love for me. He’s my best friend and as much as I don’t want to hurt him, I’d rather be true to myself and be honest to him than hurt him more in the long run. I’m sorry Doo Joon…I really am…’

 

Doo Joon let out his widest smile though I can see in his eyes that he’s hurting. He then swung an arm across my shoulders and said, “Better not regret that you ditch me tonight, okay? You know I wouldn’t offer myself twice!” He pouted his lips and scrunched his nose up. “Let’s go home…”

 

****

A week passed no one dared to speak what happened that night. We got back from our previous teasing and somehow I forgot Yunho whenever Doo Joon cracked a joke. But a part of me is still longing for him.

 

Doo Joon went to school early cause he have to attend his basketball practice so I took the bus by myself. It was rush hour again and there were a lot of people inside the bus. My small-framed physique was pushed back and forth and I just placed my arms across my chest to prevent them from hitting it. ‘I admit it! I really have a phobia with buses especially when Doo Joon’s not around. I just couldn’t feel safe when he’s not here. I was 7 year’s old when I saw a man , on his late 30’s, touched a girl’s behind while I was sitting on my mother’s lap. I didn’t know it was bad until I got used to seeing man’s filthy hands touching girl’s behind or every single bus trip of my daily life. But Doo Joon was always there to protect me from those ert men. He always used his arms to protect me and isolate me from them.

 

I placed my hand on the handle and suspiciously eyed on every man beside me. Suddenly, I felt a hand on my . My body turned ice cold. ‘AHHHHHH! Get your hands off me! You filthy old man!’ I cursed him at the back of my head without turning back to look at his face.

 

I was about to swivel around when a tall guy blocked my sight and took me in his arms. My head rested on his chest, and I instantly recognized that scent. I couldn’t breathe properly. I could’ve fainted right then and there but he held me firmly in place while my knees were wobbling uncontrollably.

 

“You alright?” He whispered softly. His chin was brushing my hair. And I could feel his nose sniffing the scent of my hair.  ‘Jeez, glad I used that strawberry shampoo! I hope he likes strawberries…’ I nodded briefly.

 

“Long time no see…how are you?” ‘Great! I just made it clear that I was counting the days we didn’t see each other…’

 

“I’m doing good…how about you? Where’s your boyfriend?” He asked, bluntly.

 

“He’s not my boyfriend.” I simply answered. I heard him chuckled a bit.

 

“Why didn’t you call again?” I asked then placed a hand onto my BIG MOUTH and tapped it a few times. ‘Where did my heart fall now? I hope someone finds it and hand it back to me! OH! Be careful with my heart it’s just somewhere down the floor, be careful not to step on it!’

 

“I was scared…”

 

“Scared of what?”

 

“That night you leave the café, I thought you’re not interested in me so I back off quietly…”

 

“What makes you think that I’m not interested in you?”

 

“Well, you ran off the café like someone’s going to kill you and then you disappeared in a flash...all I have is your name and I dropped my phone that night when I was rushing to you…I tried to fix it  but it was totally wrecked…”

 

“Why didn’t you ride this bus again…” His embrace tightened and I could feel the warmth of his body over me.

 

“I did...everyday…”

 

I pulled myself from his embrace and stared at his dreamy eyes. He smiled in return.

 

“You did?” I asked with one eyebrow lifted.

 

He nodded with a smile plastered on his face. “I never missed a single trip of this bus…not when I get the chance to see you up-close…”

 

“But why didn’t I see you?”

 

“Because your boyfriend is always around you…” He chuckled. “You don’t know how much I wanted to take over his place and hug you tight like this…” Then he placed me back on his arms again.

 

“Will you be my girl?” He asked shyly.

 

“What if say ‘NO’?”

 

“…..”

 

“Then I guess have to purchase an exclusive membership card…so I could ride this bus everyday and pester you to be my girl…” He half-jokingly said.

 

“Will you seriously do that?” A smile crept my cheeks, blushing madly.

 

“Yeah! Just be ready to have a good-looking, y stalker beside you all the time” He chuckled.

 

“Okay…let’s start all over again…I’m Cherry…” I offered a handshake and he willingly accepted it.

 

“I’m Jung Yunho!” He winked his left eye just like the first time we met.

 

The trip to school was a little shaky. There were some bumps and holes on the roads which made it worse. But Yunho was there holding me firmly in place. Unknowingly, Yunho’s face got closer to mine. It was so close that I wanted to ravish his plump lips. ‘When did I start to become a ert, huh?’

 

We didn’t budge and we stared at each other’s eyes until I was completely drowned by his charms. His lips move closer and closer ‘til I feel his breath brushing my lips. The next thing I knew, we were abusing each other’s lips, in a public transportation. It was magical and I felt the world stopped spinning. It was just me and him sharing a passionate kiss, without giving a damn care on everything around us. His kisses are like Pringles, which you never get tired of nibbling. As our lips gently parted, I bit my lower lip hard and looked down in embarrassment.

 

“I love you….” He whispered softly to my ears.

 

“I love you too…can I not go to school today?” I whined in his chest.

 

He messed my hair lightly. “You should go to school…I’ll pick you up at five…” I pouted then he placed a chaste kiss on my lips. “Fine…Maybe you should let me go first so I can walk off this bus…”

 

“Oh…I’m sorry…” He planted a kiss on my cheeks and ushered me towards the door. “Bye!” I waved a hand and got off the bus seeing his most charming smile.

 

 

“A bus is a vehicle that runs twice as fast when you are after it as when you are in it”


I guess I have proven that quote true, right? Time stops when Yunho and I are in it. Trip to school will never be the same again starting today, cause I have the two most important men in my life to protect me.

 

“Surreal but nice…”


And all it needs was a wink from the hottest stalker I’ve had.

 

“Jung Yunho”