Part 1: “The unthinkable”

KPop Hunger Games

Nightmares whispered to each idol, “It’s going to be you.”

 

I shoot up in my bed with my eyes wide and sweat glued to my forehead. My clock went to 4:30 and I fell back onto my bed. “It can’t be me, it just can’t.” I whisper to myself. I close my eyes but they snap open again. I sit up, there’s no way I’m going back to sleep and I know I won’t be able to, not after that dream I had. I groan and go to the bathroom to wash my face. Every year on this very day, reaping day, I wake up at the same time because of my bad dream. When it first started I tried to go back to sleep but now I just can’t. After washing my face I go and get changed into what I would usually wear, at least until our stylist come and put us in the nicest clothes and make-up. Giving a sigh I go out into the living room and wait until I hear the bell. The bell that starts the reaping. I decide to go and lay on the couch, the thoughts still pondering in my head. Will it be me? Could it be me? Somehow I manage to fall asleep without realizing it.

When I wake up next it’s ten in the morning. Sitting up I give a tiny yawn right as Parkbom, Dara and CL come into the living room. The actual reaping doesn’t start until three o’ clock so some people decide to sleep in until its time but not us. When the three come and sit down there’s silence, no one even bothers to start a conversation. We all know what each other is thinking and no words can really be said.

“Well why waste time in here?” That’s all Parkbom says before heading off to the door. I exchange a look with CL and Dara, after a couple minutes we decide to follow. She leads us to the meadow. The meadow is away from district twelve but not too far. Now half the meadow is cut off by the fence the peacekeepers put up. The only reason the fence got placed here is so people wouldn’t run away but it didn’t do any good. It never stopped people. If a person tries to escape they usually get caught in the end and the never come back to the district. The four of us sit still silence between us.

“Alright I need to know this…” Parkbom stops unable to finish. The three of us already know what she’s going ask.

“You want to know how many times are names are in that bowl?” Dara asks her voice giving gout as if she just choked on the words she has said. Parkbom gives a simple nod and looks at CL so she can start.

CL sighs before saying, “I put ten in….I went low this year.” She did go low this year because last year she put in twenty so for her ten less is an improvement.

“I put in forty-five.” Dara doesn’t even look up when she says this. Her eyes remain on the ground. I place my hand on hers, “Why so many?” I ask hoping she will answer.

“Because I wanted to be in that stupid music video with Super Junior.” Her voice fades and I don’t push any farther.

“I put in five.” Parkbom says looking into the distance.

“At least you guys didn’t put in as many as me.” I pause and put my knees up to my chest. “I put in fifty…..but only because we needed extra food.” I finish. As I look up they are all staring at me their eyes wide. No one speaks a word. I groan and lay down.

“What happens if one of us gets picked?” I ask keeping my gaze on the clouds.

“I’m not really sure….” Parkbom trails off as we hear the sound of the bell. The bell that starts the reaping.

            I scowl at the peacemaker as my finger gets pricked. Once my blood is on the paper I examine the crown looking for my group. After a few minutes I remember that the girls are already backstage. When I get to them Parkbom is the one to start the conversation yet again, that is until our stylist Mia come up to us.

“You Girls ready?” She asks holding back tears as she hands us our outfits. The outfits are dresses that go down to our knees. Parkbom’s dress consists of two colors. It’s a strapless with the top color is a sparkly silver and the bottom being black, her heals being the color of sparkly silver.  Dara’s dress is like Parkbom’s. Dara’s dress also consists of two colors. The top color is a sparkly silver with straps, but the bottom is a light pink with a light pink strap around the waist, her heals are a light pink. CL’s dress is a strapless dark purple with a tint of silver, her heals are a dark purple. My dress is pink with a black strap around the waist. It also has lace that covers the left side, it is also strapless. The color of my heals are black. Once we get dressed Mia puts our jewelry on us and then she begins working on our hair. When she is completely done a peacemaker leads us to the curtains.

“When your group is called go on the stage immediately.” His voice is sharp as he tells us this. The four of us nod, and then he makes his way toward the back. You see every year they have two boy and girl groups to go on the stage to represent the district, then they put our names in a bowl and choose one girl and one boy, the two people chosen will go on to be in the hunger games. This year my group (2NE1) and the group Miss A were chosen to represent the girls. To represent the boy groups they chose 2PM and 2AM. The capital claims that if you get picked you’re lucky and it’s a gift. I on the other hand think it’s a curse. Looking over at 2AM and 2PM I want to cry. I want to cry because Chansung is my boyfriend and there’s a really good chance that he could get picked, same with my brother Jinwoon. Looking away from them I look back at the girls.

“Girls,” I stop making sure I have their attention. When I get their attention I finish, “no volunteering for one other, if you get picked you get picked, I mean it.” My voice is soft but they nod I agreement. They don’t like the idea and I don’t blame them but if one volunteers then the rest will volunteer.

            About ten minutes later it’s quiet, no one makes a sound. Footsteps are now on the stage, it’s time.

“Hello everyone and happy 74th annual hunger games!” Kim Taehee says her voice filled with excitement. Silence.  I cross my arms and mumble under my breath. How can she be so happy?

“Just like every year we have two boy and two girl groups to represent district twelve.” Next she calls each group onto the stage. As I’m on stage I can’t help but look at Jinwoon and Chansung every once in a while. The next thing that happens is the video. Every year they show this video about the past hunger games kids killing each other, saying how the games make peace and prove your honor, other things like that. The last thing the video shows before ending are the words, may the odds be ever in your favor. Over the past years I have wondered what the capital really thinks. Did they really believe what the video says? Throughout the years I have also come up with a theory about the way the capital thinks. My theory is quite simple. My theory: I believe the capital thinks that without the games there would be corruption, violence and no peace. If you want peace you must have the games, for the games bring honor, pride and order to all the districts. Pretty dumb theory right? But I bet that’s what they really do think.

“That’s so touching,” She pauses regaining everyone’s attention, “Now as you know every year there is one boy and one girl tribute. However thanks to the capital we have a change. Instead of only two tributes, we will have three tributes this year, two boys and one girl.” Chatter begins, shock and fear now consumes everyone. People in the crowd begin to ask questions like, can the capital do this? Why are they doing this? And so on. I look over at the two boy groups and then look and mine. This proves even more that the game makers and the capital have no heart what so ever. Now I hate them both even more.

“Settle down!” Taehee’s voice booms through the speaker. People begin to quiet down so she can finish. “Now let’s choose this year’s tribute.” Gently her hand moves in the bowl for the girls.

Taking her hand out she then unfolds the paper and reads, “Jeong Minzy.” Shakily but carefully I make my way over to her. I then take a deep breath Focus, stay strong I say to myself. When I’m by her she puts a hand on my shoulder but I nudge it off. I look over at my group, CL and Dara are crying silently by Parkbom’s side. As for Parkbom, she never cries she’s always the strong one. However in this very moment I could finally see her pain, it was written all over her face, for once I see tears run down her face. I don’t even look over at the guys because I already know how their taking it. It takes about five minutes to regain myself. Don’t cry I mumble as my eyes fall to the floor.

“Shall we continue? “ Taehee asks. Her voice snaps me back to reality. All I do is give a single nod, then I think to myself why is she asking me because really even if I said no she would still go on. She flashes a smile before putting her hand in the guy’s bowl. This time instead of pulling out one name, she pulls out two.  

Next she reads the papers, “ Jeong Jinwoon and Hwang Chansung. The two come over to her side. Not believing her I snatch the cards from her hand and read them. She’s right. I drop the paper from my hands and cover my mouth. Calm down, relax I tell myself, but I can’t. Taehee says a couple words then I feel two peace makers grab me and take me to a room. Usually I would fight back but this time I just can’t.

            I’m in a room with a huge white couch with white soft and fuzzy pillows. The wall painted with a fancy pattern along with a fancy patterned carpet. My head swirls with thoughts. How is this happening? Why is this happening? I give a loud groan out of frustration and fall onto the couch. This is just like my dream, in my dream reaping day comes and the three of us get picked except in the end I’m the one who wins, I lose both of them. I give another loud groan in frustration and get a pillow throwing the pillow at a vase that’s sitting on a table across from me. Grabbing another pillow I throw it except this time it hits a picture on the wall, the picture falls to the ground glass shattering just like the vase. From outside I hear voices and footsteps, I stop what I’m doing and turn my head and stand up to try and figure out where from outside there coming from. The footsteps get closer and then stop at the door. I take in a deep breath hoping that it’s not a peacemaker, I’m hoping a peacemaker didn’t hear my yelling or the smashing because if so I’m screwed. It’s quiet and then the door opens, what I decide to do is sit back down and look away.

“Hey sis.” Jinwoon says his voice soft and filled with sadness. My head snaps up and run over to him giving him a hug. He returns the hug but doesn’t say a word. I don’t blame him and I won’t push him to. I can feel tears land on my dress, there not mine and my heart begins to hurt for him. In my life I’ve never really seen him cry, he’s never like to show emotion. After a few moments he goes to sit on the couch, then he leans back closing his eyes shutting everything out. I wish I could do the same but I can’t, right now I’m a mix of two things, one is shock and denial, two is half of me knows that this is actually happening but at the same time my body and mind doesn’t want it to be. When I look back at the door it’s Chansung who is now standing there. Instantly I run over to him my arms wrapping around his neck. His arms wrap around me and I nuzzle into his neck and close my eyes. For a moment I think it’s a dream but then I look into his eyes and again my heart brakes. Gently he kisses my forehead and then my lips, next he goes over to the couch to take a seat by Jinwoon.  Just looking at the two of them makes me more nervous so I begin to pace again, I would sit down but I can’t. A few more moments pass and as before I hear footsteps, my body goes numb and I stop watching the door. 

“You have five minutes.” The guard says peeking his head in before letting Parkbom and the girls in, along with 2am and 2pm.

“Parkbom…” I trail off tears running down my face as I run to her. The three of them wrap me in a hug.

“I can’t do it.” I take a step back so I can face them.

“What do you mean? CL questions.

“I mean I can’t go in the games, I can’t go in there knowing I could lose two of the people I care about and I can’t kill someone! I’m not a killer!” My voice becomes louder but my voice brakes. I put a hand to my horsehead and then wipe my tears away.

“That’s what you think but once you’re in that arena the game will change you, and your opinions will change.” Parkbom is the one to speak, Dara and CL stay behind her silent, they have no words to say.

“My opinion won’t change!” I snap crossing my arms, now mad and annoyed. How could she think that?

“Look I’m not going to argue about this but I do want to say one thing, you can win this thing, you have the skills and you’re smart, it will be easy for you to win. We believe in you.”

“What if I don’t want to win?” I ask interrupting her.

She sighs, “We won’t only be losing a very good friend, we will be losing a sister as well.”

“I’m sorry.” I say looking away. I’m pretty sure I just hurt them with the choice of my words.

“Don’t be.” CL says as the three of them give a light smile. The four of us hug once more before the peacemaker comes in.

“Stay strong and don’t let anyone hurt you.” Parkbom whispers, and just like that there all forced out of the room.

 

***

 

Please comment and tell me what you think. Should I keep going?