1/1

Rainfall

word count: 1,154; I apologize for any spelling or grammar errors.


It’s been raining for the past few days, making the daily live for overly busy people rather complicated. People got annoyed and grumpy but Kyungsoo just enjoyed the cold sensation for as long as he could. Right now the young male waited for the rain to become lighter since he forgot his umbrella at home. Kyungsoo looked around and noticed that more people seemed to have forgotten their umbrellas, busy talking on their cellphones and never stopping with their annoyed signs. He could just shake his head. Some people really like to make their lives unnecessarily complicated, didn’t they?

 

Kyungsoo watched as the rain hit the cold grey ground. All the little cracks and bumps were slowly building little puddles here and there. Just as Kyungsoo readjusted himself to stand more comfortably he noticed that there wasn’t really much space left because so many people tried to protect themselves by squeezing themselves into the small protected bus stop. He stood still, only his eyes wandered over the small crowd of people gathered here. He sighed and returned to watch the rain fall down on the concrete.

 

Kyungsoo was so deep into his thoughts that the slight impact on his left shoulder made him jump in shock. With his heart still racing like crazy he turned around to look at the cause of his almost-heart-attack. A young male with bleached blonde hair and a ridiculously handsome face looked at him with an apologizing look.

 

‘I’m sorry, someone pushed me while I tried getting something out of my bag and I lost my balance.’

 

Kyungsoo just nodded and smiled something he was sure was the most awkward half-smile he ever produced on his face. ‘It’s alright, don’t worry. ’

 

He received a bright almost face-splitting smile in return and Kyungsoo could have sworn the air around him just got at least 5 degrees warmer. He quickly turned his gaze away from the other almost a head taller male while slapping himself mentally because; damn he wasn’t a freaking fifteen year old school girl.

 

It was ridiculous in Kyungsoo’s opinion. The silence that washed over them felt ludicrously awkward and Kyungsoo couldn’t explain why it affected him so damn much because heck, they were just strangers, right?

 

However, Kyungsoo didn’t have much time to ponder about the injustice of life because the other male suddenly spoke up.

 

‘It’s raining.’

 

It was just a tiny little sentence about the weather that most people would just consider a nice bit of small talk but Kyungsoo could see the others excruciatingly desperate look after his well, a little obvious statement.

 

A small laugh escaped Kyungsoo’s lips, the awkward feeling gone within a heartbeat.

 

‘It’s raining, yes.’

 

They both burst into a fit of laughter and Kyungsoo almost didn’t catch the little shoulder bump he received from the taller male. ‘I’m Jongin’, the other said while still trying to contain his laughter.

 

Kyungsoo smiled. ‘It’s nice to meet you, I’m Kyungsoo.’

 

With the next wave of people trying to save themselves from the pouring rain the two of them got squished together even more but they didn’t really noticed it.

 

‘So Kyungsoo,’ Jongin began while trying sort his long limps to get into a more comfortable position that finally ended up with Kyungsoo being pressed up between Jongins chest and the back of a grumpy looking business man.  ’Why are you even out in this weather?’

 

‘I was on my way to grab dinner but I forgot my umbrella at home and as much as I love rain, I really don’t want to get wet or sick for that matter. What about you, Jongin?’ Kyungsoo decided that he liked, really liked saying the other male’s name.

 

‘Actually, uh… I’m trying to avoid someone.’ Jongin sheepishly scratched the back of his long, and by the way very tempting smelling, neck.

 

‘Oh’, was the very intelligent thing Kyungsoo’s lips left next, ‘Why do you want to avoid them? If you don’t mind me asking.’ He added quickly, after realizing how rude this question must have sounded.

 

Jongin smiled strained at Kyungsoo. ‘Someone I met a few weeks ago, he’s nice... just a bit clingy and I’m not interested.’

 

Kyungsoo nodded but didn’t really know what to think about it. A, to Kyungsoo unfamiliar ringtone made Jongin press himself even more against the shorter male in an attempt to reach his phone.

 

‘Crap,’ Jongin shut his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose but still answered the phone. ‘Hello Joonmyun.’

 

Kyungsoo observed Jongin as he talked on his phone and wondered how someone with the name ‘Joonmyun’ would be like. Maybe he was the guy Jongin tried so hard to avoid?

 

‘I’m uh… at home with the flu, really can’t get out of bed.’ He coughed in the most fakest way possible, making Kyungsoo biting his cheek in order not to topple over with laughter.

 

The young male hastily signaled him to be quiet what the smaller male tried to do with a teasing smile. Jongin rolled his eyes that not even a moment later winded in complete shock. Kyungsoo got on his tip toes in an attempt to see what the matter was but he couldn’t really see what made Jongin now duck behind a rather large guy in front of him.

 

‘No, I’m not outside, that’s the noise of the TV. I need to take my medicine now, talk to you later.’ Jongin suddenly grabbed Kyungsoos hand and forcefully dragged him out of the crowed shelter the second he had hung up. Kyungsoo was simply too flabbergasted to try to ask Jongin why exactly they were running away now. The slightly panicked male stopped around the next corner and shot Kyungsoo an apologizing look.

 

‘What happened?’ Kyungsoo asked already feeling the rain soaking his clothes. But whatever question has been on his mind now didn’t matter anymore because Jongin was absolutely breathtakingly handsome standing there in the rain under the fluorescent streetlights.

 

‘Joonmyun was on his way towards the bus stop. It wouldn’t be the best if he caught me while I actually should be suffering in bed.’ Kyungsoo couldn’t contain the laughter that bubbled up inside of him and soon Jongin joined him with his own fit of laughter. Kyungsoo really liked the way Jongin’s eyes would turn into half moons as he tried to suppress a really girly giggling sound.

 

‘We should go then or else you’ll really be suffering in bed tomorrow.’ Kyungsoo pulled Jongin along not even realizing that they never really let go of each other’s hands. Jongin soon caught up with him and now walked comfortably beside him. Jongin smiled down at him again and Kyungsoo really hoped that that tint of pink on the taller male’s cheeks meant something other than a nearing case of severe flu.

It wouldn’t be the most ideal way to spend their first date in bed, would it?